Amazon DotD: Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker for DS $25

D'oh, typing on wrong computer. How is this game? Do y'all feel it's worth it at $20?

edit: not sure why I quoted the only line in this thread....

[quote name='Randomthts']D'oh, typing on wrong computer. How is this game? Do y'all feel it's worth it at $20?[/quote]I never played the ds version but I loved both the GBC games. I would get this now but it would be a long time until I actually play it since I have a few hundred other games to play through so I'll most likely wait until it's cheaper but this is one of best DotD's amazon has had.

Heard this is a good game. Does it play like a traditional JRPG game or is it something different like Rocket Slime? I loved Rocket Slime...one of the best surprise games I've ever played

[quote name='Ctl-Alt-l33t']Does it play like a traditional JRPG game or is it something different like Rocket Slime?[/quote]You basically can catch a bunch of monsters and breed them. If you don't mind or enjoy level grinding and like to customize things then I think this game would be up your alley. Sort of like pokemon but with ten times the awesome.

[quote name='opportunity777']How does this compare to the Monster Rancher series?[/QUOTE]

Infinitely better.

Good game, but we've seen this game for $30 at several places before. $5 lower than those prices doesn't entice enough. I'm hoping it'll go lower eventually in the future.

[quote name='opportunity777']Second question ... is this one that is availabe at CC for $8.96 right now? If not, then I'm in for one.[/QUOTE]

No. That's Rocket Slime.

[quote name='emceelokey']No. That's Rocket Slime.[/QUOTE]

Thank you, sir :)

My DS has been collecting dust lately, so I needed something to bring it back to life.

Thanks, OP, I got one. I like the Dragon Quest world better than Pokemon's, so hopefully this will grab me more than Pokemon Diamond did last year.

You can easily get 50 hours out of this game. Much more if you're not opposed to level grinding and building that perfect party.

The game is fun, and maybe it is just my fault for lacking knowledge about the game, but I have to level grind for quite a while to progress in the game. Is that normal, or am I missing something?

to anyone who's played this: is this a "kiddie" game? I was thinking of biting on this deal and saw that you can get the guide with it for around $11 more. Is the guide needed? Or is it a fairly straightforward monster capture game? Is it like the monster capturing sidequests in DQ8?

I've been playing this for a while and it's not a kiddy game any more than pokemon is a kiddy game. The graphics and monster may be appealing to kids but it has plenty of tactical depth. And there's really no reason to play rocket slime first since they aren't related at all other than using similar monsters. If anything you would want to play the DWM I&II Game Boy color games but that isn't necessary either.

$25 is a deal on this one, I had to shop quite a bit just to get it for $35 when it first came out. Also I have the strategy guide and it is very useful for planning teams/skills for wifi.

I just started playing this, so far it has been either very fun or lame, but the fun definitely outweighs the lame. I would reccommend this game to people who are interested in breeding and fighting with monsters.

Damn, so tempted...seems like a popular enough game though so it's likely going to drop below $20 eventually, maybe I'll just wait.

I'm also very tempted by this since I love Dragon Quest/Warrior games but I know I won't get around to playing it any time soon. I grabbed Rocket Slime at this price and then saw it under $20 soon afterward so I think I'll hold off. If nothing else I'm sure I'll be able to pick it up used for this much or less fairly easily down the line.

[quote name='Saraquael']I ordered my copy yesterday and it arrived today.

As an added bonus, it even came with a free Dragon Quest Joker screen wipe.[/quote]

Awesome I just got my copy today and it came with the screen wipe with a graphic of the map of the game on one side. Was this originally a pre-order item and Amazon had a surplus or did Square-Enix include it with every copy of the game?

bread's done
Back