Amazon DOTD: EA Sports Active 2 - $59.99 (Wii, 360, PS3), other fitness games on sale

nightmare452

CAGiversary!
Feedback
63 (100%)
Just saw the price of EA Sports Active 2 dropped to $59.99 for all three major systems, Wii, Xbox 360 and PS3. Regular price is $99.99. I checked and it wasn't at this price this morning, good if you were interested in it.

Edit: this is now Amazon's DOTD.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.ht...pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=1282741102&pf_rd_i=468642

EA Sports Active 2 - $59.99
(Word of advise on EA Sports Active 2, there are 68 exercises on the PS3 version, versus only 52 on the 360 version, according to reviews)

EA Sports Active NFL Training camp - $89.99

Your Shape Fitness Evolved - $39.99

Dance Central - $39.00

Last edited by a moderator:
i want to buy the extra heart monitor since I don't want to use the same one with my roommate. Do they sell this as an extra set?

[quote name='agentghost']i want to buy the extra heart monitor since I don't want to use the same one with my roommate. Do they sell this as an extra set?[/QUOTE]

I don't think they sell those heart monitors separately. EA.com might sell em, but I doubt it.

[quote name='ssjmichael']It's been this price for the Wii and PS3 for a while but not the 360 version. The 360 one is crap apparently[/QUOTE]

It's not. I had both Wii and 360 and sold the wii version.

The floor exercises are fine if you just allow the kinect to recognize you before you plop on the ground.

EA Sports Active was a fantastic workout game. EA Sports Active : More Workouts improve on that slightly.
I am a big fan of the series, but hesitate to get this one as it should have $60 even before sale.

I feel like people who are buying the game for Xbox 360 are getting screwed because they have already invested in the $150 cost of the REQUIRED Kinect and all they are getting is a heart monitor and game.. The PS3 and Wii have sensors and monitor bundled with the game..

[quote name='mitemouse']I feel like people who are buying the game for Xbox 360 are getting screwed because they have already invested in the $150 cost of the REQUIRED Kinect and all they are getting is a heart monitor and game.. The PS3 and Wii have sensors and monitor bundled with the game..[/QUOTE]

You don't know what you're talking about. The fact that you don't need the stupid sensors allows you to work out much more efficiently. The lack of a sensor isn't getting "screwed". After all, you're paying for the heart rate monitor.

Since the Wii requires an extra wireless adapter, does that mean xbox owners are getting screwed for lack of an extra usb dongle?

If they can fix the floor exercises with a patch, EA Active 2 for the Xbox is the way to go. You can't hold a wiimote AND a dumbell in the same hand.

[quote name='tfr']ps3 is the best version so far. I got mine for $40 at bestbuy, and loving it.[/QUOTE]

I haven't commented on the ps3 one cause I didn't try it. I'd be interested in picking it up.

Did you own both the wii and xbox version?

[quote name='confoosious']It's not. I had both Wii and 360 and sold the wii version.

The floor exercises are fine if you just allow the kinect to recognize you before you plop on the ground.[/QUOTE]

You're probably in the minority then. On metacritic the 360 version has a 64, the PS3 version a 79 (the Wii version only has 3 reviews, all over 80). On Amazon the PS3 and Wii versions have a 4 star avg., the 360 version a 3 star avg. Many people on CAG have also said the 360 version is inferior to other versions and it doesn't work well with Kinect. If you can explain why there's such a significant discrepancy I'd like to know.

[quote name='ssjmichael']You're probably in the minority then. On metacritic the 360 version has a 64, the PS3 version a 79. On Amazon the PS3 version has a 4 star avg., the 360 version a 3 star avg. Many people on CAG have also said the 360 version is inferior to other versions and it doesn't work well with Kinect. If you can explain why there's such a significant discrepancy I'd like to know.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, same here from what I've researched. I bought Your Shape Evolved over this since I just got a Kinect, but for Active 2, it still seems to me like the 360 got the short end of the stick by loosing some content in order for them to make it usable with Kinect.

clearly it's only my opinion but you gotta understand people are really stupid.

When it's time to do the crunches, they drop right now to the floor and the Kinect sensor loses them. So instead of the next time, waiting for the exercise to "kick in", they just drop right down to the floor again. They're like retarded rats who keep kitting the shock button. Also, when was the last time you saw a fit game reviewer?

It's far from perfect and like i said, i hope they patch it.

Here's why the kinect version is better: you have free hands. This means you can use whatever dumbell you want to make the exercise harder. That means no stupid resistance band to get in the way.

[quote name='confoosious']clearly it's only my opinion but you gotta understand people are really stupid.

When it's time to do the crunches, they drop right now to the floor and the Kinect sensor loses them. So instead of the next time, waiting for the exercise to "kick in", they just drop right down to the floor again. They're like retarded rats who keep kitting the shock button. Also, when was the last time you saw a fit game reviewer?

Here's why the kinect version is better: you have free hands. This means you can use whatever dumbell you want to make the exercise harder. That means no stupid resistance band to get in the way.[/QUOTE]

Have you tried any other kinect "fitness" games. As I stated before, I bought the other main exercise game on kinect, Your Shape Fitness Evolved, since reviews of it were higher than EA Sports Active 2 on 360, but I am still tempted by it. Any comparisons?

[quote name='confoosious']clearly it's only my opinion but you gotta understand people are really stupid.

Here's why the kinect version is better: you have free hands. This means you can use whatever dumbell you want to make the exercise harder. That means no stupid resistance band to get in the way.[/QUOTE]

lol, cracked up about the rat part and the fit reviewer part. You're probably right. One thing though, wouldn't your hands be free with the other version too? I mean the resistance bands don't have sensors or anything. You could likely use dumbbells just the same. I've never really been interested in a fitness game before but this game actually looks kind of fun. $60 seems pretty reasonable too. I was banking on it getting lower on new Years day since everyone gets obsessed with fitness, but I doubt it'll drop more.

It probably isn't as bad as some make it out to be, and I'm sure if there are any probs they'll update it to work better (if they hadn't already).

With the wii, you need the wiimote so the wii knows where you hand is for certain exercises. So you'd constantly be unstrapping the wiimote to pick up weights for the exercises that you want to use extra weights for.

it's just easier to have your hands free. At least for me.

[quote name='nightmare452']Have you tried any other kinect "fitness" games. As I stated before, I bought the other main exercise game on kinect, Your Shape Fitness Evolved, since reviews of it were higher than EA Sports Active 2 on 360, but I am still tempted by it. Any comparisons?[/QUOTE]

I also bought Your Shape Fitness. It's pretty good. The interface is better than Active and the sensor seems to work better. I'd recommend it if you want the cheaper item. I just think it's more shallow than Active 2. The heart rate monitor is definitely worth the xtra $20. ($39.99 vs $59.99 today) I've been doing more EA ACtive 2 for now but I'm gonna get into a regimen of both "games".

[quote name='confoosious']I also bought Your Shape Fitness. It's pretty good. The interface is better than Active and the sensor seems to work better. I'd recommend it if you want the cheaper item. I just think it's more shallow than Active 2. The heart rate monitor is definitely worth the xtra $20. ($39.99 vs $59.99 today) I've been doing more EA ACtive 2 for now but I'm gonna get into a regimen of both "games".[/QUOTE]

Thanks, I could afford both, but I will stick with Your Shape Evolved for now.

Also, on the EA forums, it states there will be a patch for the 360 version to address some issues, but this patch is supposed to come in late February, pretty late. Link

[quote name='EA']
Known Issues: We are still working on the below list of issues for the next title update.

Kinect for Xbox 360
• Remaining Kinect crashes are being fixed
• Menu cursor is being improved
• Floor exercises are being improved
• Playlist music will be randomized
• Improve the quit challenge popup (to avoid accidental selection)

Status: The above list should be remedied in the title update coming in late February. More information to follow in the New Year.
[/QUOTE]

[quote name='confoosious']I haven't commented on the ps3 one cause I didn't try it. I'd be interested in picking it up.

Did you own both the wii and xbox version?[/QUOTE]

i had the first one on wii, and there's no way i am going back to holding a wiimote in my hand when doing exercise.

I don't have the space for kinect.

[quote name='tfr']ps3 is the best version so far. I got mine for $40 at bestbuy, and loving it.[/QUOTE]

Same. I'm getting Kinect next week, but figured the PS3 was the better buy for Sports Active due to the detection issues with the 360 version...I'm definitely getting YourShape for Kinect though.

[quote name='ssjmichael']lol, cracked up about the rat part and the fit reviewer part. You're probably right. One thing though, wouldn't your hands be free with the other version too? I mean the resistance bands don't have sensors or anything. You could likely use dumbbells just the same. I've never really been interested in a fitness game before but this game actually looks kind of fun. $60 seems pretty reasonable too. I was banking on it getting lower on new Years day since everyone gets obsessed with fitness, but I doubt it'll drop more.

It probably isn't as bad as some make it out to be, and I'm sure if there are any probs they'll update it to work better (if they hadn't already).[/QUOTE]

The PS3 version allows you to use weights for most exercises instead of the resistance band. The main difference is the 3 sensors on PS3 instead of one on the 360. Its fine for me, though you do have to strap on the leg sensor pretty tight to keep it snug for the whole workout.

that leg sensor is a pain in the ass. They improved it from the first wii version but you either have to deal with it cutting off your circulation or slipping down constantly.

ps3 version (I have) also has the most workout exercises....cannot remember where I read that at since I cannot find it on the site, but remember reading it.

Have not had a problem with the leg sensor slipping either....snug, not tourniquet. Though I must say, it is pretty stupid of them to show one putting it over their shorts....guess they must have the extra baggy NBA shorts for that.

bread's done
Back