Amazon DOTD for 9/6/09 - NCAA Football '10 (PS3) - $39.98

I'd consider it if it were half that price ;). Even then I'd probably pass. Don't get me wrong - I like playing the NCAA game a bit, but I feel like I overpaid if I pay more than about $7 for them ;).

The only reason I'll pass on this is the fact that EA does very little to improve their products from the year before. While Madden 10 (from what I've read anyway) has improved this year, for the most part these games are cash cows. They should just charge for a roster update ($9.99) on PSN, and not even release a new game unless there's something more to offer (other than better graphics, or unnecessary features that most people don't care about anyway).

Yeah, charging a full 59.99 for a "sports game update" every year is ridiculous. I have great disdain towards EAsports after they killed off the NFL 2K series. I remember when 2K Sports brought out all their 2K5 sports games for 19.99....that's when EA decided to buy the NFL license, which effectively killed off the NFL 2K series. EA can stick it.

What's funny is when EA got exclusive NFL rights and killed NFL 2K, the response by other studios was to take the MLB license away from all third-party developers (meaning EA), and killing the best baseball game in MVP Baseball.

[quote name='Indiana Jones']What's funny is when EA got exclusive NFL rights and killed NFL 2K, the response by other studios was to take the MLB license away from all third-party developers (meaning EA), and killing the best baseball game in MVP Baseball.[/QUOTE]

No, 2K bought the MLB 3rd party exclusive to counter EA buying the rights to NFL. MLB The SHow is mucho good anyways.

[quote name='Indiana Jones'] . . . take the MLB license away from all third-party developers (meaning EA), and killing the best baseball game in MVP Baseball.[/QUOTE]

Q4T. Damn shame - no MLB game to date (even The Show 09) has matched MVP 05.

[quote name='dickybeans']Q4T. Damn shame - no MLB game to date (even The Show 09) has matched MVP 05.[/QUOTE]

O5 must have been the greatest year in sports history! Because Madden 05 is regarded as maybe the best of this decade.

[quote name='dickybeans']Q4T. Damn shame - no MLB game to date (even The Show 09) has matched MVP 05.[/QUOTE]

Clearly you haven't played MLB '09: The Show. The graphics, the presentation, the GM functionality... it's all in there. Unfortunately, I'm terrible at batting in the game, even dropping everything else for two weeks and really working at it. But it's clearly the best baseball game ever made.

Back on topic, I'm torn about NCAA. I'd like it for sure, but I could get it for less buying Madden 2010 (the far superior football title) and adding NCAA to the cart. But unless I buy TWO copies of NCAA, and give it to one of the four people I know with a PS3, I'd have no one to play with. Even then, most of those people aren't sports fans. :(

Think maybe I'll follow my previous plan. Two copies of Madden for a buddy and I. Then we can both playonline for $90, and that will be FUN! :)

[quote name='cheeky']Um... how about puting "Football" in the title.[/QUOTE]

Like you didn't know this was the football game. Pretty sure they gave up on College Baseball, so its pretty obvious what it is.

[quote name='merkman']Like you didn't know this was the football game. Pretty sure they gave up on College Baseball, so its pretty obvious what it is.[/QUOTE]

Wasn't trying to be a jerk, just wanted a more accurate title. I didn't know they ever made a college baseball game. That's prety interesting though.

I hate how everyone dogs on sports titles every time there is a deal. I think last week, Kotaku or Joystiq had an article about how sports gamers play their favorite sports game for 200 hours a year, or something ridiculous like that.

NCAA didn't do anything new this year, and I won't be buying this. Madden (for once) did. NHL and Fifa did also and I will be picking up all 3.

[quote name='MIX_MASTER_ICE']No, 2K bought the MLB 3rd party exclusive to counter EA buying the rights to NFL. MLB The SHow is mucho good anyways.
iy.gif
[/QUOTE]
MLB Show is a lot better game than NFL, All my buddies like it too.

[quote name='merkman']Clearly you haven't played MLB '09: The Show. The graphics, the presentation, the GM functionality... it's all in there. Unfortunately, I'm terrible at batting in the game, even dropping everything else for two weeks and really working at it. But it's clearly the best baseball game ever made.[/QUOTE]

MLB 09 looks pretty, but it's got a million bugs and it plays worse than MLB 08 (part of the reason you have trouble hitting). It got a ton of praise because of what the series has accomplished overall, but IMO it was a step backward.

[quote name='LeonSKennedy']The only reason I'll pass on this is the fact that EA does very little to improve their products from the year before. While Madden 10 (from what I've read anyway) has improved this year, for the most part these games are cash cows. They should just charge for a roster update ($9.99) on PSN, and not even release a new game unless there's something more to offer (other than better graphics, or unnecessary features that most people don't care about anyway).[/QUOTE]

Consumers make these games top sellers each year regardless. Once sales figures decline significantly, EA may think about implementing roster updates.

Great deal for this title!

my2cents:

I refuse to pay the premium of 59.99 for Madden and Ncaa every year for at best a roster update.
However 40dollars no tax shipped free from amazon for ncaa is a pretty awesome deal and I might bite.

If people are serious on their stance of calling these games just roster updates, then I have to question how much you even play the game and if you even play online.

bread's done
Back