Amazon DOTD - Fuel $19.99 (360/PS3)

I was just about to post this, you beat me to it :) I had a lot of fun with the demo, so it seems this could very well be worth the price. I may have to check it out. Will wait to see if the ECA codes come back tomorrow too.

I actually just tried the demo yesterday, due to the 20 dollar Best Buy coupon. After playing games like Motorstorm and Dirt 2, Fuel looked and played like absolute garbage. I'm a big racing game fan and like the off-road racers, but this isn't even worth 19.99 to me. Only way I would buy this is if I could flip it, but it usually doesn't go for much more than 20 on ebay and I'm sure the TIV is less than 20.

[quote name='TobalRox']Reminds me of a multi-platform Motorstorm. Am I wrong in that assessment?[/QUOTE]

The Motorstorm games blow Fuel out of the water. I don't think I've ever played a racing game with physics as bad as Fuel. If you want a cheap off-road racer, pick up the original Motorstorm. You can get that for around 10 bucks and save yourself the horror that is Fuel.

I already have the 2nd MotorStorm so I'm good there. Thanks for the heads up though. I was semi-forced to upgrade once Sony shut down the servers to the original when the sequel came out. Was not too pleased about that since I only had the game about 2 months and had just bought all the DLC.

[quote name='TobalRox']I already have the 2nd MotorStorm so I'm good there. Thanks for the heads up though. I was semi-forced to upgrade once Sony shut down the servers to the original when the sequel came out. Was not too pleased about that since I only had the game about 2 months and had just bought all the DLC.[/QUOTE]

Say what? I've played the original Motorstorm online as recently as a few days ago. The servers aren't shut down.

I played the demo of this and it was fairly boring. Don't need another racer right now anyway since I just got Dirt 2 and picked up Motorstorm and Baja: Edge of Control cheap.

[quote name='MIX_MASTER_ICE']Say what? I've played the original Motorstorm online as recently as a few days ago. The servers aren't shut down.[/QUOTE]

Seriously? I could have sworn I read somewhere they were shut down the day that the sequel came out. I tried it online a couple time and it "couldn't connect" so I figured that was the case and I sold the game. Is the original worth owning if you have the sequel?

What the Hell is This? Look up ASIN: B000089GDS in Amazons search bar under video games (sorry, cant post links yet). Evidently, there was a game called "FUEL" for the Original Xbox? But I can't find record of it anywhere. Guess it was never made. Weird.

One of the "Product Features" it states; "3 different racing types in 1 – Off Road, ATV’s and Personal Water Crafts!"

[quote name='TobalRox']Seriously? I could have sworn I read somewhere they were shut down the day that the sequel came out. I tried it online a couple time and it "couldn't connect" so I figured that was the case and I sold the game. Is the original worth owning if you have the sequel?[/QUOTE]

I will second that the original servers are still running fine.

A lot of Motorstorm racers will argue that the 1st game, flawed as it was, is actually better than Pacific Rift. The physics are better, the online room-making is better in the first one, the community experience was better in the first one.

I would be one of those racers ;) (check my avatar for proof)

[quote name='nightmare452']Thanks op. Picked one up, wasn't to fund of the demo, but at $18 with ECA, too good a price to pass it up.[/QUOTE]

NOTE TO ALL CAGs:

Every price is too good to pass up if you don't like the game. Don't throw good money away because it's a "deal"! That's how deals like this sucker you in... pretty soon you're buying all kinds of stuff just because you got a good deal on it, whether or not you actually like what you're buying! BE CAREFUL WITH DEALS!!!! CAG is a good resource, but seriously, be careful.

[quote name='plong']NOTE TO ALL CAGs:

Every price is too good to pass up if you don't like the game. Don't throw good money away because it's a "deal"! That's how deals like this sucker you in... pretty soon you're buying all kinds of stuff just because you got a good deal on it, whether or not you actually like what you're buying! BE CAREFUL WITH DEALS!!!! CAG is a good resource, but seriously, be careful.[/QUOTE]

Amen. I could say with utter confidence that the lion's share of CAGs probably spend significantly more money on games than if they'd never found the site. I absolutely count myself in this group, even though I've tried to be more careful recently. I've set $10 as my "give it a try" price after realizing that jumping on deals like this on mediocre games is what giant backlogs - something I'm sure most of us have - are made of.

I looked at reviews of this game last night trying to decide to purchase & wound up picking up Grid instead. Amazon has the 360 version of the game for $22.99 & is more than likely a hellva lot better than Fuel (at least by review standards anyway...)

[quote name='kart007k']not a good game, even though it's made by Grid and Dirt team.[/QUOTE]

Its published by Codemasters, the same publisher of Grid & Dirt, but it was developed by an outside team (Asobo Studios).

[quote name='plong']NOTE TO ALL CAGs:

Every price is too good to pass up if you don't like the game. Don't throw good money away because it's a "deal"! That's how deals like this sucker you in... pretty soon you're buying all kinds of stuff just because you got a good deal on it, whether or not you actually like what you're buying! BE CAREFUL WITH DEALS!!!! CAG is a good resource, but seriously, be careful.[/QUOTE]

I know what ya mean, I probably spend twice as much once I discovered CAG than before, but its what I love, getting games and trying them out and if I don't like em, then my brother gets them, and since $20 is my limit for new release games (Fuel is very recent), I jump in. Did the same for Golden Axe for 360 when it dropped and even though I knew it was bad, I enjoyed it in the end. I'm also a collector of sorts, and this one was in my radar, so i jumped, but that is very good advice.

I bit. ECA seems to be working again, so for $17.XX I figured it was worth a shot. That and my OCD that involves trying to own all 360 games...

[quote name='kart007k']not a good game, even though it's made by Grid and Dirt team.[/QUOTE]

No, it wasn't made by the same team. Codemasters published it, Asobo created it. Asobo did not touch Grid or DiRT.

I remember waiting for this game to come out but fortunately reviews hit the web before it was released. I waited and waited and they finally put a Demo out on XBL and it was horrible. Glad I skipped it and at $19.99 I will skip it again.

Last edited:
This is is a game that was on my radar since before it came out... it didn't fare well in the reviews and now that I'm seeing comments from most of you guys I'm pretty sure I'm best-served not dropping the $20 on this one.

This didn't take long at all. Didn't care for the demo. They spent more time making the biggest map possible than refining it to make a good game.

I honestly don't think most of the reviewers played more than the first couple hours of the game. It gets better the longer you play it. The races are difficult at the beginning and it takes some effort on your part to get over the hump and get to the enjoyable bits, but once you start building a nice collection of cars and start opening up more of the world, FUEL is a fun game. It looks pretty darn nice as well, and some of the set piece races (with thunderstorms and tornadoes and shit) are some of the coolest things I've ever seen.

It it a great game? No. I really liked it and still only gave it a 7/10, which makes it only above average. If you like offroad racing, and are willing to put in some time to get to the good bits, FUEL is worth $20. If you're going to judge it by the first few races and declare it sucks, don't bother.

[quote name='Joe Fongul']I looked at reviews of this game last night trying to decide to purchase & wound up picking up Grid instead. Amazon has the 360 version of the game for $22.99 & is more than likely a hellva lot better than Fuel (at least by review standards anyway...)[/QUOTE]

Very wise move. GRID is a really fun, slick street racer.

[quote name='Squarehard']Developers sure are getting less and less creative with these game titles these days.

Dirt, Grid, Fuel.[/QUOTE]

and Pure.

Thanks, next up are: Full, Face, Mask, Boot, Pass, Late, Dive, Turn, Apex, Tire, Tank, Wind, Fire, Pits, Dash, Seat, Belt, and Jump. [would you like to pre-order them'all today?]

oh, let's not forget: Weed and Rock.

my buddy is big into racing games and he was really disappointed over this game. You have this huge world, but just about all you can do is race. You can't fight other cars, you can't get out of cars.. you just drive around and do races (yes, a couple of other things, but nothing worth writing home about). He also said the rubberbanding in the races is horrible too.

The world is fairly cool, but it seems the game got rushed out the door without the developers actually doing much with it..

[quote name='plong']I will second that the original servers are still running fine.

A lot of Motorstorm racers will argue that the 1st game, flawed as it was, is actually better than Pacific Rift. The physics are better, the online room-making is better in the first one, the community experience was better in the first one.

I would be one of those racers ;) (check my avatar for proof)[/QUOTE]

Might pick it up again if I see a good deal then. I feel stupid now :)

[quote name='Mospeada_21']and Pure.

Thanks, next up are: Full, Face, Mask, Boot, Pass, Late, Dive, Turn, Apex, Tire, Tank, Wind, Fire, Pits, Dash, Seat, Belt, and Jump. [would you like to pre-order them'all today?]

oh, let's not forget: Weed and Rock.[/QUOTE]

Don't forget Blur.

Count me in as another person who doesnt think this game is worth $20. $10 maybe, but only if you really like racing games. And ahmen to the guy about buying stuff "because its a good deal." This is the same as when my wife goes and buys more clothes she doesnt need and says "it was on sale!" BAH

[quote name='Hodaka']my buddy is big into racing games and he was really disappointed over this game. You have this huge world, but just about all you can do is race. You can't fight other cars, you can't get out of cars.. you just drive around and do races (yes, a couple of other things, but nothing worth writing home about). He also said the rubberbanding in the races is horrible too.

The world is fairly cool, but it seems the game got rushed out the door without the developers actually doing much with it..[/QUOTE]

I think this ^^^ pretty much sums it up very well. Which explains why its price drop to $20 happened so quickly. I had this same feeling after reading several reviews and player feedback. I love racing games, and open world racing sounded like a great idea, i e Burnout Paradise, but Fuel was just full of fumes.

This is supply and demand in play. It'll be $5 junk software in the clearance bins very shortly. Save yourself the $15 now.

After checking the reviews and most of CAGs just trashed the game for lack of content .. I decided to hold off buying this game .. but man I was so freaking ready to buy :( .. I as well like racing games but somebody stated that the only thing worth looking forward to is unlocking cars or what nots .. now that is some serious lack of content there :(

I bit liked the demo and for 19.99, not bad. Been playing Dirt2 which is good, but after NFS Shift I will play this.

I own this game on 360 and love it, i def recommend at this price. Going around searching the land with friends in online free roam is extremely fun! we need more people on the FUEL community, help us out! :D

So you can have friends in free ride? How many? I was going to get it mainly to screw around in vehicles exploring the map but was worried that I could not do it with very many people. I am not alw3ays in the mood to race people and there are so few games out there where you just drive around. Is it like Test Drive unlimited?

Demo was boring. I second, third, etc the sentiment that just because the price looks to be a good deal does not warrant buying games that are mediocre at best. Its like the people whose eyes pop out when all a retailer does is put up a sale sign. Then its like, I wouldn't have normally bought this but it was on sale.

My 2 criteria that I attempt to follow:
1. Was I considering the game before any price drop? Irregardless of price?
2. Is the price something I am comfortable paying on this product?

bread's done
Back