Amazon DOTD LOTR ExE Blu Ray $43.49

Just to be sure, is this set the one that includes all 3 of the Blu-Rays that were recently released not too long ago? If so, this is a definite steal since those are $25 a movie alone.

[quote name='clonesniper666']They recently released all 3 movies separately but as far as I know this should be the same as buying them individually for $25.[/QUOTE]

ahh I see it now on Amazon. Well this has 15 disc's so that leaves 5 from each movie so I would say yes this has the same content.

Yeah. It wasn't too long ago they came out with extended edition blu-rays for new release and I wanted to make sure these were likely them (and not an older set of the blu-rays but I don't think the extended ones have been on blu-ray until now).

I am almost certain this has been in the $45 range numerous times in the past. I'm going to hold out until I can get it for $30-ish.

[quote name='cranky2']I am almost certain this has been in the $45 range numerous times in the past. I'm going to hold out until I can get it for $30-ish.[/QUOTE]

According to camel x3 this is the lowest it's been, ever. Anyway, I'd like to hear from SSXMichael or Shriek247365 on this deal :)

[quote name='Ed_']According to camel x3 this is the lowest it's been, ever.[/QUOTE]

Only by a few dollars, I think. There are two item numbers for what is basically the same set (both have the green-tint on Fellowship, I have heard). The set on sale now doesn't have the digital copy that the first set did... so some may even say this isn't as good a deal at $43 as it was at $45-ish with the digital copy.

I'm not saying its a bad deal, I'm just saying I'm such a cheapass that I'm willing to hold out for $30-ish.

Fry's had this for $39.99 last year around this time. However, not everyone has one close to them so many couldn't get in on that deal.

It says in the description that the digital copies included expired in June of 2012.

Q - Will the Digital Copies be available to download forever?
A - No. The Digital Copy offers expire on June 26, 2012.

Stupid question, but...is there any way to get them to work or was the time period extended?

[quote name='gldoorii']It says in the description that the digital copies included expired in June of 2012.

Stupid question, but...is there any way to get them to work or was the time period extended?[/QUOTE]

I'm curious about this too...my Taken Blu I bought not too long ago with the Taken 2 moviecash came with a digital copy, and the serial number voucher says "serial number MAY not be useable after May 11, 2011.

Like wth...MAY not? They should seriously make these things last longer. I just bought 21 Jump St and the UltraViolet voucher in it is good til like December 2014.. Now THAT's what I'm talking about!

On a side note, I'm sorely tempted to go to BBY today to see if they'll price match it, then go back later once my $30 in RZ certs clear and do a return/rebuy...if that's even remotely allowed.

This is as cheap as I've seen it from Amazon and Camel^3 backs that up.

Frys did have this for $39.99 back in the day, though I think it was either in-store only or that and available online so quickly they sold out almost immediately.

If you've been holding out on it, I would strongly suggest getting it now. If you don't want the special features discs, you could get the movies individually, though unless you're paying $14-$15 each, this is a better deal. Most of the individual movies have been $17-$20 each.

Question for people who shop at Frys (and I know it doesn't have to do with this deal) but do they take manufacturer coupons especially those from coupons.com?

Would anyone actually download the whole digital copy to a device? Those files must be huge, I guess you could cloud save if you have that much room. I haven't seen this advertised for lower during BF but if it does go lower I'll complain to Amazon maybe they will help me out if not it's all good.

[quote name='gldoorii']It says in the description that the digital copies included expired in June of 2012.

Stupid question, but...is there any way to get them to work or was the time period extended?[/QUOTE]

Don't think so. One of the reviews was someone complaining about it being expired.

There was a thread here recently saying that Warner extended the expiration dates for their movies so they might work now, even if they didn't before

I think I'll pick this up. Even if some better BF deal pops up, I doubt it'll be less than $39.99 & this is a personal favorite I've not seen in many years in EE form.

About a month ago, I used my LotR EE blu-ray Digital Copy codes in iTunes. They worked fine.

[quote name='Mako1215']Got this for $35 from Walmart.com[/QUOTE]

My question, didn't Petter Jackson talk about converting them to 3D? Maybe it makes sense to wait for the ultimatest set?

With a new trilogy beginning, it wouldn't suprise me to see this drop to ~$30 in the semi-near future. Great movies, but I can wait. $30 and I'm in, though.

I did read somewhere that the digital copies were extended till 2017, I wish I could find this writeup again because someone had posted a really good review of the differences between the two extended releases, I'm going off of memory here but what I read was the green tint was present in both sets, something about the DTS audio being different in the 2012 release, and few added bonus features in the 2012. In the end he summed it up as only die hards who allready had the first set would want to upgrade to the 2012 version, and only to complete their collections, and the home theater purists would keep the 2011 release.

I've tried to find this webpage but can't, I still purchased the set on amazon today, I had the 2011 release and traded it, I'm guessing the 2012 release will be just as good or better.

Ughhh...I was just tellin my gf the other day how I've been wanting this set, but it's always been $99.99 everywhere. I'm one click away from confirming my order, but something is holding me back.

I loved the extended editions, but walmart is about to have the 3 vanilla movies in a single case for $12.96.

Maybe I can sell the digital copies once I get it to offset the price a bit.

Seeing as how the stand alone ExE's are $24.99 everywhere, this is still a steal...

Ugh..

EDIT: I bit.... I couldn't pass this up, especially with working Itunes compatible digital copies now (hate that UltraViolet stuff). Been waiting on this one and the Star Wars 1-6 set to drop for quite some time now. If that is next to hit a $45ish price, Lord help my wallet

Last edited by a moderator:
So mine came in the mail today. I was under the impression these had digital copies as well as the DVD feature films too...

I'm seeing no such thing in mine :/

[quote name='jcp42877']So mine came in the mail today. I was under the impression these had digital copies as well as the DVD feature films too...

I'm seeing no such thing in mine :/[/QUOTE]

Did this set ever come with digital copies? I don't remember hearing that it did. The theatrical versions are a different box set, they've never been packaged together.

[quote name='ssjmichael']They did come with digital copies at one time, just codes though not discs or anything[/QUOTE]

Well I heard the codes were extended...hell, I might as well have bought the older set to get the codes. I was planning on selling those to offset the price of this set. Oh well..

[quote name='Ivanhoe']39.99 from best buy 11/19 comes with hobbit money too.[/QUOTE]

Anyone know if its $5,8,10,or 12?

[quote name='Pounce!']Anyone know if its $5,8,10,or 12?[/QUOTE]

$5 :/

You'd think with how much you're paying they'd at least give you a full evening ticket's worth.

bread's done
Back