Amazon DotD: Stanley Kubrick - Directors Series $36

Pretty good deal. Of course its far from complete since its missing Barry Lyndon, Lolita, Dr. Strangelove, and Spartacus for starters. But for what it does have $36 is pretty good.

i dunno, dvds are dirt cheap these days. most of these can be had for 5-10$ anyway. and not all of those are any good. i wouldve jumped on it had it been BD, or if it had been truly complete (maybe, since i already have 2 of my favorites: FMJ & Clockwork Orange)

[quote name='postulio']i dunno, dvds are dirt cheap these days. most of these can be had for 5-10$ anyway. and not all of those are any good. i wouldve jumped on it had it been BD, or if it had been truly complete (maybe, since i already have 2 of my favorites: FMJ & Clockwork Orange)[/QUOTE]

These are the recent remasters that came out in 2006. They typically sell for $15-20 each as well. Plus for many of these they are in Widescreen for the first time as well.

[quote name='Demolition Man']These are the recent remasters that came out in 2006. They typically sell for $15-20 each as well. Plus for many of these they are in Widescreen for the first time as well.[/quote]
yea, the barry lyndon i got at big lots, was not the best quality iv seen, but got the job done.

[quote name='cavie2002']yea, the barry lyndon i got at big lots, was not the best quality iv seen, but got the job done.[/QUOTE]

Since I haven't seen "Barry Lyndon" at Big Lots is the one they are selling the one that says "Stanley Kubrick Collection Digitally Restored And Remastered" and/or in a hard shell case with no writing on the top? If so then that's the 2001 remaster. That edition is pretty good looking given the soft with a little grain look that Kubrick intended the film to have.

If its not and simply has "Stanley Kubrick Collection" then its the original DVD release which is not worth picking up.

Hopefully Warner will eventually give "Barry Lyndon" the respect it deserves with a proper 2 disc DVD SE alongside a Bluray release. If any film in the Kubrick library that would benefit the most from being in 1080p it is "Barry Lyndon." That alone says a great deal since all his films do benefit from 1080p. Its just that.... "Barry" needs it just that little bit more.

bread's done
Back