Amazon Download - 20% off Warhammer 40k - $39.99

Amazon DVG Deals

Official Representative
Feedback
4 (100%)
Hi CAGGERs,

Edit - Dead Island is temporarily unavailable. I will let you know when it is back up.

We're selling Warhammer 40K: Space Marine and Dead Island for $39.99 right now. If you were thinking about picking the game up and haven't yet, this might be a good opportunity for you to do so!

Warhammer 40K: Space Marine

As always, please feel free to let me know what you think about this deal!

Cheers,
Tony

Last edited by a moderator:
Great deal; nice to have an Amazon presence on CAG!

Now how about some sort of credit promo on the physical/console copies?

[quote name='GBAstar']Great deal; nice to have an Amazon presence on CAG!

Now how about some sort of credit promo on the physical/console copies?[/QUOTE]

DVG stands for Digital Video Games. You're not likely to find physical deals in this thread.

Hi Tony,
I like seeing the Amazon deals but as a Canadian I can't purchase digital games due to the US only restriction. Is there a plan to change this in the near future? Thanks.

[quote name='DarkSageRK']DVG stands for Digital Video Games. You're not likely to find physical deals in this thread.[/QUOTE]

I figured an Amazon rep that dealt with DVG would also have some sort of oversight on console games as well.

Perhaps not.

whoa, an amazon rep on cag finally?
maybe amazon will see how much effort kmart is putting in to get customers and follow suit.
havent seen a lot of bonus credit given this year.

[quote name='GBAstar']Great deal; nice to have an Amazon presence on CAG!

Now how about some sort of credit promo on the physical/console copies?[/QUOTE]

[quote name='DarkSageRK']DVG stands for Digital Video Games. You're not likely to find physical deals in this thread.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='GBAstar']I figured an Amazon rep that dealt with DVG would also have some sort of oversight on console games as well.

Perhaps not.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the quick responses here guys! To directly answer your question GBAstar I actually don't have oversight on the promotions the physical team runs.

I'm the Marketing Manager for the Digital Video Game team so I build/run promotions strictly for that side of the business (which I assure you is a 100% full time job). That being said, if there is parity with something I'm posting here I will most definitely try to include it in my postings.

Hope that make sense, if it doesn't or you have further questions, send me a PM and I'd be happy to chat with you further.

Cheers,
Tony

[quote name='Daykain']Hi Tony,
I like seeing the Amazon deals but as a Canadian I can't purchase digital games due to the US only restriction. Is there a plan to change this in the near future? Thanks.[/QUOTE]

Good question! I know we just launched in Japan, but I'm not sure what we've announced in terms of next steps or where else we are expanding.

I was just at PAX and I got that question from a few Vancouver folks as well.

Cheers,
Tony

Had I not already paid for these games on Steam, Amazon would have my order. My only recommendation would be to lock in orders sooner than release day.

Lord of the Rings War in the North, Need for Speed The Run, and Borderlands 2 are some names that might be good opportunities on games that haven't already had discounted preorders. I am sure there are others, but next to none that I haven't already locked in on Steam, D2D, or GMG. I doubt I am alone in having a dozen or more digital downloads already paid, at any given time.

Discounts and sales after release already have really heavy competition. Pre-release sales have been slight discounts of 5-15 percent, most of the time. If not beating the price, at least beating other retailers to posting the discount would probably help you out.

Good to see Amazon getting aggressive with digital offers. Let's hope Amazon has an enticing Batman Arkahm City deal. I might consider giving Amazon digital a first time try if so.

However, one thing that would turn me off to Amazon digital would be if they had a preorder deal, then immediately dropped the price to something cheaper a day or two after release.

I like the idea of buying from Amazon, but I'm afraid I don't see the point. Even if Amazon were meeting the low price points for these games, I'd probably snag Space Marine (already have Dead Island from Greenman). The problem, though, is if you're not going to beat, or even meet the 34 that Dead Island has been selling for, or the 38 that Direct2Drive has Space Marine for (with a free Darksiders) then why even bother?

Hi again Tony...good to see you again and good to see the deals coming in.

But, as Maskim has pointed out, I believe your direct competitor at this point is going to be Green Man Gaming. Their prices have been pretty incredible for a good while now, and this includes newly released titles, like Dead Island for $34.

I have no doubt in my mind, as a long-time loyal Amazon customer, that if your prices at least match GMG, you will see a noticeable increase in your numbers. People trust Amazon, people actually prefer buying from Amazon...all that is needed is at the very least, a direct price match and you will have the sale from many.

Just my two cents. ;)

EDIT: A friend here on CAG just PM'd me with a link to GMG to buy Dead Island for $33 and a $5 bonus referral credit for future use. If the price could at least be matched Tony, I'd prefer to use Amazon. But as you can see, the competition is starting to play hardball. :lol:

[quote name='SmileyMcSmiles']Hi again Tony...good to see you again and good to see the deals coming in.

But, as Maskim has pointed out, I believe your direct competitor at this point is going to be Green Man Gaming. Their prices have been pretty incredible for a good while now, and this includes newly released titles, like Dead Island for $34.

I have no doubt in my mind, as a long-time loyal Amazon customer, that if your prices at least match GMG, you will see a noticeable increase in your numbers. People trust Amazon, people actually prefer buying from Amazon...all that is needed is at the very least, a direct price match and you will have the sale from many.

Just my two cents. ;)

EDIT: A friend here on CAG just PM'd me with a link to GMG to buy Dead Island for $33 and a $5 bonus referral credit for future use. If the price could at least be matched Tony, I'd prefer to use Amazon. But as you can see, the competition is starting to play hardball. :lol:[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Maskim']I like the idea of buying from Amazon, but I'm afraid I don't see the point. Even if Amazon were meeting the low price points for these games, I'd probably snag Space Marine (already have Dead Island from Greenman). The problem, though, is if you're not going to beat, or even meet the 34 that Dead Island has been selling for, or the 38 that Direct2Drive has Space Marine for (with a free Darksiders) then why even bother?[/QUOTE]

I'm not seeing the deals you are referencing. I just looked at the two sites you reference and I am seeing $49.99 for Space Marine on Direct to Drive and $42 for Dead Island on Green Man.

Were the deals you are referencing pre-order deals? Are they still live?

Thanks again for the feedback guys, and for being so cordial with it.

Cheers,
Tony

[quote name='Amazon DVG Deals']I'm not seeing the deals you are referencing. I just looked at the two sites you reference and I am seeing $49.99 for Space Marine on Direct to Drive and $42 for Dead Island on Green Man.

Cheers,
Tony[/QUOTE]
It would appear that D2D has raised Space Marine to 49.99 in the past couple hours, although they do still have their coupon for a flat 15% off any purchase, so that's where people were snagging the $38 from.

greenmangaming shows Dead Island at 42.45, and they have an additional 20% off coupon for the game which cuts it quite a bit from there.

Don't get me wrong, I appreciate Amazon trying to cut us some deals, I'd rather purchase from Amazon then sign up for new services/sites, we just need them to be competitive. It does appear that Amazon has the current low price for Space Marine, though. :)

[quote name='Amazon DVG Deals']I'm not seeing the deals you are referencing. I just looked at the two sites you reference and I am seeing $49.99 for Space Marine on Direct to Drive and $42 for Dead Island on Green Man.

Cheers,
Tony[/QUOTE]

My bad man...here's the link and a couple of the 20% off coupon codes.

http://www.greenmangaming.com/games/action/dead-island/

READY-UPDEA-ISLAN or 20SUM-MERSA-VINGS (I believe either of these two knock off another 20%) So the current price of $42.45 - 20% = $33.96.

Note: When I mentioned $33 with the bonus $5, I believe that's a deal only when a current GMG member sends you a referral link.

[quote name='Maskim']It would appear that D2D has raised Space Marine to 49.99 in the past couple hours, although they do still have their coupon for a flat 15% off any purchase, so that's where people were snagging the $38 from.

greenmangaming shows Dead Island at 42.45, and they have an additional 20% off coupon for the game which cuts it quite a bit from there.

Don't get me wrong, I appreciate Amazon trying to cut us some deals, I'd rather purchase from Amazon then sign up for new services/sites, we just need them to be competitive. :)[/QUOTE]

Gotcha, I didn't realize there was an additional DI coupon at Greenman, although it sounds like the Warhammer deal at 20% is now the best active deal right?

$49.99 - 15% = $42.49
$49.99 - 20% = $39.99

Thanks again guys, this kind of back and forth helps me frame our promotions in the future.

Cheers,
Tony

would be nice if u guys add credit or yeah just discount digital pc titles =.

now that i have a proper pc i hate how most of the upcoming fall releases on console have credit preorder bonuses etc yet often times the pc version gets absolutely nothing.

for example arkham city, on consoles u get a comic and $10 credit but for pc theres no incentive to order it.

[quote name='Nelo Ice']would be nice if u guys add credit or yeah just discount digital pc titles =.

now that i have a proper pc i hate how most of the upcoming fall releases on console have credit preorder bonuses etc yet often times the pc version gets absolutely nothing.

for example arkham city, on consoles u get a comic and $10 credit but for pc theres no incentive to order it.[/QUOTE]

uh unless you are daft a $10 discount is always better than a $10 credit.

Dont change your promotions Tony they're great! No one seriously wants credits over discounts.

Also like others have suggested if at all possible putting these games on sale before release date would be a better move since you might convince some retail buyers to go digital instead and catch a few people who would have preordered from somewhere else.

Also unless Im mistaken it doesnt seem like you have the ability to "preorder" a DDL version of games like people are able to on steam and other services. That is kind of a mistake as a lot of big time games are coming with preorder bonuses and credits and people cant wait til release date to see if you are going to have it... Imo you are losing business (im going off of checking batman arkham city, skyrim and battlefield 3 not having preorder for ddl options)

[quote name='retrad']uh unless you are daft a $10 discount is always better than a $10 credit.

Dont change your promotions Tony they're great! No one seriously wants credits over discounts.

Also like others have suggested if at all possible putting these games on sale before release date would be a better move since you might convince some retail buyers to go digital instead and catch a few people who would have preordered from somewhere else.

Also unless Im mistaken it doesnt seem like you have the ability to "preorder" a DDL version of games like people are able to on steam and other services. That is kind of a mistake as a lot of big time games are coming with preorder bonuses and credits and people cant wait til release date to see if you are going to have it... Imo you are losing business (im going off of checking batman arkham city, skyrim and battlefield 3 not having preorder for ddl options)[/QUOTE]

like i said add credit or yeah just go with the discounts but give us pc gamers some reason to order off amazon also if possible add preloading or give us steam gfwl keys etc early so we can preload games alongside people who can preload off steam or other services.

Hey Tony!

Certainly appreciate getting a real Amazon employee here on the CAG forums. Funny, I recently graduated with a journalism degree and had applied for a similar position as yours that was posted on Amazon several months back. Didn't quite have the experience, but I certainly had the desire. Alas...

In any case, it's good to have a rep here. Check out the KMart thread. You'll see that while some posters are whiny, there are a lot of quality contributors that help Josh see opportunities for quality promotions. And, on the flipside, the community really appreciates having a nice heads up on the deals, and thus KMart has managed to snag a pretty dependable community of gamers to shop at their stores.

I agree with the recommendations so far... Solid preorder deals are your best bet, IMO. A good majority feel "locked into" a preorder (even if, technically, they're not because of easy return policies). And so if you can break a threshold that other retail outlets cannot, you can count on a lot of sales on Day One.

With that said, for the CAG community, your biggest competitor is going to be Green Man Gaming for PC DDs. With their preorder discount, stacking coupons, and a generous referral system; it's not difficult to snag a lot of AAA releases for ~$34 on Day One, with a freebie $5 credit. Obviously, though, Amazon is the 10,000lbs gorilla in the room compared to GMG. Outside of CAG, they're nothing more than a blip on the radar. But, it'd be silly to ignore them, as any company can gain marketshare quickly with deals like that.

In the end, I gotta give you props for getting a $10 discount on Day One for two big releases. $40 isn't too bad at all for these games, especially since most customers can avoid tax. So thanks! And thanks for reaching out to the community.

Hopefully we'll see some more aggressive discounts on games in the future. Rage is right around the corner ;-)

[quote name='mattcube64']Hey Tony!

Certainly appreciate getting a real Amazon employee here on the CAG forums. Funny, I recently graduated with a journalism degree and had applied for a similar position as yours that was posted on Amazon several months back. Didn't quite have the experience, but I certainly had the desire. Alas...

In any case, it's good to have a rep here. Check out the KMart thread. You'll see that while some posters are whiny, there are a lot of quality contributors that help Josh see opportunities for quality promotions. And, on the flipside, the community really appreciates having a nice heads up on the deals, and thus KMart has managed to snag a pretty dependable community of gamers to shop at their stores.

I agree with the recommendations so far... Solid preorder deals are your best bet, IMO. A good majority feel "locked into" a preorder (even if, technically, they're not because of easy return policies). And so if you can break a threshold that other retail outlets cannot, you can count on a lot of sales on Day One.

With that said, for the CAG community, your biggest competitor is going to be Green Man Gaming for PC DDs. With their preorder discount, stacking coupons, and a generous referral system; it's not difficult to snag a lot of AAA releases for ~$34 on Day One, with a freebie $5 credit. Obviously, though, Amazon is the 10,000lbs gorilla in the room compared to GMG. Outside of CAG, they're nothing more than a blip on the radar. But, it'd be silly to ignore them, as any company can gain marketshare quickly with deals like that.

In the end, I gotta give you props for getting a $10 discount on Day One for two big releases. $40 isn't too bad at all for these games, especially since most customers can avoid tax. So thanks! And thanks for reaching out to the community.

Hopefully we'll see some more aggressive discounts on games in the future. Rage is right around the corner ;-)[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the intense feedback, and your Amazon support! We all thought that 20% off day one was something to get excited about :).

I'm loving the feedback from the community so far, you'll notice I use the word feedback alot...this is because I consider these interactions with you all valuable insight into how our customers are responding to what we're bringing them!

If you saw my post earlier today on the Square Enix bundle I think you'll notice a trend that most CAGers should enjoy. Remember, this is literally my 4th deal post, hopefully this community feels like I'm listening as we progress through the next few months and you see the kinds of deals I am bringing to the table.

Cheers,
Tony

[quote name='Amazon DVG Deals']Thanks for the intense feedback, and your Amazon support! We all thought that 20% off day one was something to get excited about :).

I'm loving the feedback from the community so far, you'll notice I use the word feedback alot...this is because I consider these interactions with you all valuable insight into how our customers are responding to what we're bringing them!

If you saw my post earlier today on the Square Enix bundle I think you'll notice a trend that most CAGers should enjoy. Remember, this is literally my 4th deal post, hopefully this community feels like I'm listening as we progress through the next few months and you see the kinds of deals I am bringing to the table.

Cheers,
Tony[/QUOTE]

I'm glad you're taking the feedback seriously! It's definitely appreciated! And, I can assure you, after 7+ years on this forum, I know this community really responds well to solid communication with retailers.

20% off on Day One is unquestionably something to get excited about. Especially on pretty big releases. Obviously, though, bigger = better.

I did like the Square Enix pack in the other thread. Unfortunately, most those games have been cheaper, individually, at one point or another. That said, that particular bundle wasn't aimed at me. For someone looking to get some quality, meaty value of games to play on the cheap (say, they just built a new computer), that's a heck of a bargain.

Oh, and it probably goes without saying; but most people get more excited about Steamworks games. Save money but get the EXACT same thing you'd get from Steam? Yes, please! I have about ~250 Steam games right now, and a lot of people are more supportive than me. It's actually a reason I'm hesitant to jump on the $34 Batman Arkham City Deal on GMG; because I'm not sure how often I'll have to use their darn "Capsule" client.

I'm looking forward to future deals, for sure.

Oh, and I just got an email saying you tried to PM me but my box was full. My apologies. It has since been cleared out :)

Yeah, Steamwork games people really go nuts for as most of us want to keep our collection with as few different places as possible. I'm glad to see Amazon getting more activate in the DD front though and it is quite awesome to have a rep here now.

That being said, the two deals you are offering in this thread are good. I just spent the last 3 hours playing Space Marine and loved it. If I wasn't so tired I'd be playing still lol.

[quote name='mattcube64']I'm glad you're taking the feedback seriously! It's definitely appreciated! And, I can assure you, after 7+ years on this forum, I know this community really responds well to solid communication with retailers.

20% off on Day One is unquestionably something to get excited about. Especially on pretty big releases. Obviously, though, bigger = better.

I did like the Square Enix pack in the other thread. Unfortunately, most those games have been cheaper, individually, at one point or another. That said, that particular bundle wasn't aimed at me. For someone looking to get some quality, meaty value of games to play on the cheap (say, they just built a new computer), that's a heck of a bargain.

Oh, and it probably goes without saying; but most people get more excited about Steamworks games. Save money but get the EXACT same thing you'd get from Steam? Yes, please! I have about ~250 Steam games right now, and a lot of people are more supportive than me. It's actually a reason I'm hesitant to jump on the $34 Batman Arkham City Deal on GMG; because I'm not sure how often I'll have to use their darn "Capsule" client.

I'm looking forward to future deals, for sure.

Oh, and I just got an email saying you tried to PM me but my box was full. My apologies. It has since been cleared out :)[/QUOTE]

Exactly! Well said!

And Tony, as you'll soon come to know...CAG'ers LOVE Steam weekly deals, especially their major Summer and Holiday Sales. The problem is that we have to wait for Steam to hold these sales and it takes a while for new releases to get a deal. The good news is that more and more publishers are utilizing Steamworks as their DRM of choice.

This can greatly benefit you/Amazon by having these deals for customers during the pre-order phase or just shortly after release. As it has been mentioned, the only direct competitor you guys have currently for pre-release deals is GMG. But as it was also mentioned, many people here, myself included, would much rather purchase from Amazon for various reasons.

20% off DI is a great start, and I'm glad we finally have some AMZ representation here at CAG. I remember when Josh (Kmart rep here at CAG) first began. It was a slow, evolving process at first...culminating to one of the best ongoing deal threads here. I'm quite certain and have no doubts that soon enough your following and customer base will grow here.

Building a great rapport with this community coupled with great deals should be key, and you're already well on your way by taking the time to socialize and not only accept our input, but really taking the time to listen.

Also, and I'm sure you're already thinking of it, I highly suggest you create a consolidated mega-thread. This way all your deals are focused into one topic and it gives you more on-going exposure. Everyone will know where to go to see and discuss your deals.

Amazon is a beast and you get probably 80% of my gaming dollars. Why no deal at all on Dead Island???? Can we expect to see it around $45 like Duex Ex a week after release? I'd much rather give Amazon my money than Toys R Us with their $15 coupon or Kmarts $20...

In the spirit of feedback, on a good/decent sized release game, my price point for a digital download is no more than $35. That's why, although close, I didn't grab the D2D deal (if I didn't already own Darksiders, I probably would have as I could have justified that the second game drops the price of the first). 29.99 for a digitally distributed game at release is my sweet spot that I'll instabuy at, but 30-35 is pretty easy to buy at too.

Not saying I expect you to change the price, as you already have a good price, I'm just saying that at 30% off, I'd buy. 20% is good, for sure, but at only 20% off, I'm content to wait for a future sale. We're not that far away from holiday sales, and the backlog is big enough to keep me content until then. ;)

[quote name='$hady']Amazon is a beast and you get probably 80% of my gaming dollars. Why no deal at all on Dead Island???? Can we expect to see it around $45 like Duex Ex a week after release? I'd much rather give Amazon my money than Toys R Us with their $15 coupon or Kmarts $20...[/QUOTE]

Dead Island - $39.99

Hey man $hady. This thread is specifically about a deal on Dead Island! Click on the link above and buy it from us for $39.99, $5 less than you were hoping for.

Cheers,
Tony

[quote name='$hady']Amazon is a beast and you get probably 80% of my gaming dollars. Why no deal at all on Dead Island???? Can we expect to see it around $45 like Duex Ex a week after release? I'd much rather give Amazon my money than Toys R Us with their $15 coupon or Kmarts $20...[/QUOTE]

How does one click on a thread about a deal on Dead Island and then ask why there is not a deal on Dead Island?

[quote name='dskillzhtown']How does one click on a thread about a deal on Dead Island and then ask why there is not a deal on Dead Island?[/QUOTE]

maybe they have the iq equivalent of a zombie?

And the Darwin award goes to...

[quote name='Amazon DVG Deals']Hi CAGGERs,

We're selling Warhammer 40K: Space Marine and Dead Island for $39.99 right now. If you were thinking about picking the game up and haven't yet, this might be a good opportunity for you to do so!

Warhammer 40K: Space Marine

Dead Island

As always, please feel free to let me know what you think about this deal!

Cheers,
Tony[/QUOTE]

Hey thanks for this Tony I wanted to share some honest feedback with you. While these deals are solid there are some stiff competition you are up against that is fighting hard. I personally do enjoy shopping at Amazon more than most but there are other places like newegg, Steam, and direct2drive that can earn my business as well when it comes to games.

In regards to these deals the Warhammer deal is solid but just to put it in perspective last night at www.direct2drive.com you could pre order for $44.95 with a free copy of Darksiders and a coupon code that they gave out to CAG members, CHEAPASS15 for a 15% discount which was $38 and some change, which honestly beat your deals. I feel like if you could setup a pre-order for some of these games you would earn more business and then have deals on the pre-orders this would excite people more about Amazon Digital Video games. Just an honest thought. Also there is one deal currently going on that for some will beat your deal on Dead Island if people want to wait a little.

If you go over to http://promotions.newegg.com/neemail/sep-0-2011/BTSsale06/index-landing.html?nm_mc=EMC-IGNEFL090611

You will see that newegg has dead island for PC for $39.99 with promo code EMCKAKD83 and free shipping from now until September 12th. Which means that it is the same price for a digital download as it is physical and for most people this means they may pick phsyical because this is a Steamworks title (meaning its key can be activated/redeemed on Steam I'm sure you know this I just put this out there because the name differs from Steam what people are used too seeing) and they might want to not have to download the whole thing, some people have internet caps monthly and others get charged per GB downloaded so for them this is a better option because it installs from disc right onto Steam and only had to download any updates from release. So to earn digital download customers over physical there has to be some kind of incentive, either in the form of cheaper price (perhaps $5 to $10 cheaper whichever is most reasonable from a business perspective I do not know how much it costs you guys) or a freebie extra you get that you don't get with getting the physical copy or both (see the Space Marines deal that was posted on this forum that is now dead).

I appreciate you taking the time for reading my input Tony and I look forward to the deals you will bring us here at CAG. Thank you in advance for your time and consideration. I hope you have a good day. Let me know your thoughts I would like to hear back.

Tony,

You forgot to tell us about Tropico 4 for 20% off too (31.99), I started a thread here, but maybe they'll be merged later.

Maybe I missed it, but did you let us know when these deals expire? Are they a weekly deal?

Thanks

[quote name='KaOTiK']Yeah, Steamwork games people really go nuts for as most of us want to keep our collection with as few different places as possible. I'm glad to see Amazon getting more activate in the DD front though and it is quite awesome to have a rep here now.

That being said, the two deals you are offering in this thread are good. I just spent the last 3 hours playing Space Marine and loved it. If I wasn't so tired I'd be playing still lol.[/QUOTE]

Yeah Space Marine is pretty fun. Been playing Deus Ex and Space Marine is a great change of pace to be actually rewarded for destroying everyone into a bloody pulp hahah. Plus the game runs EXTREMELY smooth, it is well optimized. I know my GPU is overkill for the game on full max (GTX 570) but it only uses about 65% of the GPU when I play but everything is silky smooth.

Awesome! Thanks a ton for the deal on Space Marine, Tony. Had $39.96 in credit, so I just picked it up for .03 out of pocket. It would've been nice if I could've got it for that price before it launched, but still a good run. That game came out of no where for me, totally expected it to be unimpressive.

I ment 360/PS3 I thought it was obvious since THIS was a PC deal thread and I referenced current console deals at other retainers and hell even a Duex Ex console price...

So quick to bash so slow to think.... Posted because I saw Amazon rep was OP..... Now back to WoW you angry PC nerds.

[quote name='$hady']I ment 360/PS3 I thought it was obvious since THIS was a PC deal thread and I referenced current console deals at other retainers and hell even a Duex Ex console price...

So quick to bash so slow to think.... Posted because I saw Amazon rep was OP..... Now back to WoW you angry PC nerds.[/QUOTE]

The irony of saying others are slow to think when the Amazon rep already stated on the first page that he has no control over the discounts for physical games, just digital ones.

Also it's Deus, not Duex. Is that what you meant to say?

[quote name='$hady']I ment 360/PS3 I thought it was obvious since THIS was a PC deal thread and I referenced current console deals at other retainers and hell even a Duex Ex console price...

So quick to bash so slow to think.... Posted because I saw Amazon rep was OP..... Now back to WoW you angry PC nerds.[/QUOTE]

Your grammar is awful. How old are you and do you pay attention in school?

Where exactly in this post does it say anything about the console version? You are posting in a thread about PC digital downloads, why would anyone think from this that you are talking about anything else? Then on top of it, you are shocked when people act like you can't read?

On topic, I might pick up Warhammer. I liked the demo, but waiting for some other people's thoughts as I am not 100% sold on it either. I really like Amazon's download service by the way. I picked up a couple of games over the weekend including Deus Ex for a really good price, and it worked really well.

[quote name='SmileyMcSmiles']Exactly! Well said!

And Tony, as you'll soon come to know...CAG'ers LOVE Steam weekly deals, especially their major Summer and Holiday Sales. The problem is that we have to wait for Steam to hold these sales and it takes a while for new releases to get a deal. The good news is that more and more publishers are utilizing Steamworks as their DRM of choice.

This can greatly benefit you/Amazon by having these deals for customers during the pre-order phase or just shortly after release. As it has been mentioned, the only direct competitor you guys have currently for pre-release deals is GMG. But as it was also mentioned, many people here, myself included, would much rather purchase from Amazon for various reasons.

20% off DI is a great start, and I'm glad we finally have some AMZ representation here at CAG. I remember when Josh (Kmart rep here at CAG) first began. It was a slow, evolving process at first...culminating to one of the best ongoing deal threads here. I'm quite certain and have no doubts that soon enough your following and customer base will grow here.

Building a great rapport with this community coupled with great deals should be key, and you're already well on your way by taking the time to socialize and not only accept our input, but really taking the time to listen.

Also, and I'm sure you're already thinking of it, I highly suggest you create a consolidated mega-thread. This way all your deals are focused into one topic and it gives you more on-going exposure. Everyone will know where to go to see and discuss your deals.[/QUOTE]

Thanks Smiley, awesome name by the way, in my head you are now a floating, sentient, emoticon. You're welcome for the interaction/taking the time to absorb feedback, although it is definitely not something you should have to say "thanks" for. You all are doing me the favor by helping me craft how we approach you as customers.

I'll definitely be creating a consolidated mega-thread. To be honest I wanted to make sure that this community could support that sort of time investment from a "we want you here interacting with us" standpoint. You all have answered that with an encouraging, resounding "YES".

I'm going to be as frank and transparent as possible in my interaction with you all, to that end, I am letting you know that there is a specific announcement that I'm waiting for to build said mega thread. Hopefully you will all enjoy it!

[quote name='monkeyz']Hey thanks for this Tony I wanted to share some honest feedback with you. While these deals are solid there are some stiff competition you are up against that is fighting hard. I personally do enjoy shopping at Amazon more than most but there are other places like newegg, Steam, and direct2drive that can earn my business as well when it comes to games.

In regards to these deals the Warhammer deal is solid but just to put it in perspective last night at www.direct2drive.com you could pre order for $44.95 with a free copy of Darksiders and a coupon code that they gave out to CAG members, CHEAPASS15 for a 15% discount which was $38 and some change, which honestly beat your deals. I feel like if you could setup a pre-order for some of these games you would earn more business and then have deals on the pre-orders this would excite people more about Amazon Digital Video games. Just an honest thought. Also there is one deal currently going on that for some will beat your deal on Dead Island if people want to wait a little.

If you go over to http://promotions.newegg.com/neemail/sep-0-2011/BTSsale06/index-landing.html?nm_mc=EMC-IGNEFL090611

You will see that newegg has dead island for PC for $39.99 with promo code EMCKAKD83 and free shipping from now until September 12th. Which means that it is the same price for a digital download as it is physical and for most people this means they may pick phsyical because this is a Steamworks title (meaning its key can be activated/redeemed on Steam I'm sure you know this I just put this out there because the name differs from Steam what people are used too seeing) and they might want to not have to download the whole thing, some people have internet caps monthly and others get charged per GB downloaded so for them this is a better option because it installs from disc right onto Steam and only had to download any updates from release. So to earn digital download customers over physical there has to be some kind of incentive, either in the form of cheaper price (perhaps $5 to $10 cheaper whichever is most reasonable from a business perspective I do not know how much it costs you guys) or a freebie extra you get that you don't get with getting the physical copy or both (see the Space Marines deal that was posted on this forum that is now dead).

I appreciate you taking the time for reading my input Tony and I look forward to the deals you will bring us here at CAG. Thank you in advance for your time and consideration. I hope you have a good day. Let me know your thoughts I would like to hear back.[/QUOTE]

This is some awesome, honest, and direct feedback. I will try and answer in kind:

1. If we sell a title that is Steamworks you can buy it from us and activate it on Steam, both Dead Island and WH40K fall into this category.

2. I hear you all loud and clear on pre-orders and will actually toss a question back at you. What drives your purchase decision on pre-orders more, $$ off or in game stuff?

Thanks again monkey, if I left anything unanswered just reply back or shoot me a PM!

[quote name='kayatai']Tony,

You forgot to tell us about Tropico 4 for 20% off too (31.99), I started a thread here, but maybe they'll be merged later.

Maybe I missed it, but did you let us know when these deals expire? Are they a weekly deal?

Thanks[/QUOTE]

Kayatai, I did forget to tell you, and it was a total miss on my part. As for the length of time on specific discounts (like 20% off) it varies by title and sometimes we change stuff on the fly so we generally don't come out and say "this will be in effect for X days", we just let you all know when the deals are running.

I've got some other, more cadenced, promotions baking in the oven right now and I'll keep you all posted on their progression.

Cheers,
Tony

[quote name='Amazon DVG Deals']
2. I hear you all loud and clear on pre-orders and will actually toss a question back at you. What drives your purchase decision on pre-orders more, $$ off or in game stuff?
[/QUOTE]

Cash is usually king on CAG IMO. Really if you can pull off a deal or two that's 5-10 bucks better than everyone else, it will probably put you on the map and people will pay a lot more attention. Also if you can pull of price matching for some hot deals (the same way Amazon offers for physical products) it will also get people's attention (You will often hear that people will bite on a deal as soon as Amazon price matches due to having Amazon credits or the perk of no sales tax).

[quote name='kayatai']Cash is usually king on CAG IMO. Really if you can pull off a deal or two that's 5-10 bucks better than everyone else, it will probably put you on the map and people will pay a lot more attention. Also if you can pull of price matching for some hot deals (the same way Amazon offers for physical products) it will also get people's attention (You will often hear that people will bite on a deal as soon as Amazon price matches due to having Amazon credits or the perk of no sales tax).[/QUOTE]

I'm with you. I almost assuredly would take the cash discount over any digital items. The Deus Ex deal for 34.99 was very good. This isn't a bad deal either, though as mentioned it's been cheaper over the past few days. 34.99 on these probably would have had more people downloading. That said, you can only do what you are allowed to do, so I understand that part of it. Hoping you guys are getting Rage as a digital download. If you offer some kind of discount on that as well, a lot of people are apt to jump on board.

This is some awesome, honest, and direct feedback. I will try and answer in kind:

1. If we sell a title that is Steamworks you can buy it from us and activate it on Steam, both Dead Island and WH40K fall into this category.

Thanks again monkey, if I left anything unanswered just reply back or shoot me a PM!

Cheers,
Tony[/QUOTE]

Wow thank you so much for the response I truly appreciate it. So let me answer your question and then ask another for you.

First point you made is great, good to hear that Amazon Digital Video Games does sell keys that activate on Steam and if I am not mistaken I believe the EA games you sell activate on Origin (Steam competitor owned by EA, Valve owns Steam).

To answer your second point. This for me personally is split, getting bonus games and a little money off is nice especially if I do not own the game but more often than not the decision that drives me to buy a pre-order is money off the purchase price. That is the biggest incentive for me to have a day one purchase (or pre-day 1 depending on how you look at it). Instead of waiting for it to go on sale later I don't have to wait and I can get right in to the newest game at a price I feel is fair and I can afford. That is the tricky part for me personally and what can help sway me in my decision making. Am I willing to wait for a few weeks to save the cash? Or is the opportunity cost of having it now and saving say 20-35% right now worth while? It is hard to answer now for say Deus Ex Human Revolution you pulled out a 30% discount on a stellar game with bonus DLC so I bought it I figured I would like to have it now even if I don't play it this moment I have it and will not have to look for a sale later and chances are the price will not be beat at least till the late holiday season.

Yet, that is the thing a lot of us Digital Download gamers (if such a category exists) do; is wait for the holiday sale, and Steam's holiday sales are no secret they are huge, offer giant discounts on quality games and earn a lot of business because we are big on saving money and maximizing our gaming per dollars so to speak. Not to mention they do daily deals which is another way they earn business and weekend and midweek deals, have you considered or is it possible to work in something like this into your program? It may earn you some more cash because I am constantly seeing the Steam deals thread posted on and commented about how much Steam takes money out of our wallet :lol: .

On a side note a lot of us would like to support developers but obviously we all have different budgets so that isn't always an option, and it is a risk. By not giving sales upfront and waiting till down the road your favorite game may not sell enough to get a sequel but by giving the sale early and showing the developers you want more then you might get that sequel and saving that extra money you give us a deal on makes it all the sweeter, a win-win so to speak. So all in all I would say the bigger savings you can offer the more you will see people purchase from Amazon Digital Video Games in my honest opinion.

You addressed most of my questions which is great but I do have one for you. How are you planning to keep competitive with websites that offer pre-order deals on physical copies at the same prices or cheaper than your digital copies? For instance I know newegg is making a killing right now on all the $12 to $15 off pre-orders on PC games, some activate on Steam, some do not but that isn't everything to every gamer. I know Rage:Anarchy edition just went for $42.99 or so from $60 on PC and Battlefield 3 went from $60 to like $47.99 and that swayed a lot of people to get in. I also know greenmangaming is another household brand on these forums and their referral system stacking with discount coupons with pre-order discounts is generating a lot of business from a lot of members on here. For instance the recent pre-order on Dead Island for $34 and some change. So my question to you is what are you thinking/planning to do to combat the intense competition you are up against? I know you have excellent customer service and clarity in your mission statement here and a group loyal to amazon above other retailers but what are you planning on doing to not only sway more buyers to use Amazon digital downloads but appeal to those who may go else where solely because of pricing? The truth is we vote with our wallet these days, and even loyalty can be "bought" with cheaper pricing and sales and you have to find a way to stay competitive and one step ahead of the game that way you will be successful and it is a win win, you get business, we get good deals. Just some food for thought.

Thanks in advance for reading all that (wall of text :lol: ). I appreciate you taking your time to respond and your interactions on here it is good stuff and nice to feel like Big Business isn't so far out of reach.

Cheers,
Tony[/QUOTE]

Money off. In game items always seem pretty gimmicky and usually unneeded. I don't think I can say the same about money.

[quote name='monkeyz']Wow thank you so much for the response I truly appreciate it. So let me answer your question and then ask another for you.

First point you made is great, good to hear that Amazon Digital Video Games does sell keys that activate on Steam and if I am not mistaken I believe the EA games you sell activate on Origin (Steam competitor owned by EA, Valve owns Steam).

To answer your second point. This for me personally is split, getting bonus games and a little money off is nice especially if I do not own the game but more often than not the decision that drives me to buy a pre-order is money off the purchase price. That is the biggest incentive for me to have a day one purchase (or pre-day 1 depending on how you look at it). Instead of waiting for it to go on sale later I don't have to wait and I can get right in to the newest game at a price I feel is fair and I can afford. That is the tricky part for me personally and what can help sway me in my decision making. Am I willing to wait for a few weeks to save the cash? Or is the opportunity cost of having it now and saving say 20-35% right now worth while? It is hard to answer now for say Deus Ex Human Revolution you pulled out a 30% discount on a stellar game with bonus DLC so I bought it I figured I would like to have it now even if I don't play it this moment I have it and will not have to look for a sale later and chances are the price will not be beat at least till the late holiday season.

Yet, that is the thing a lot of us Digital Download gamers (if such a category exists) do; is wait for the holiday sale, and Steam's holiday sales are no secret they are huge, offer giant discounts on quality games and earn a lot of business because we are big on saving money and maximizing our gaming per dollars so to speak. Not to mention they do daily deals which is another way they earn business and weekend and midweek deals, have you considered or is it possible to work in something like this into your program? It may earn you some more cash because I am constantly seeing the Steam deals thread posted on and commented about how much Steam takes money out of our wallet :lol: .

On a side note a lot of us would like to support developers but obviously we all have different budgets so that isn't always an option, and it is a risk. By not giving sales upfront and waiting till down the road your favorite game may not sell enough to get a sequel but by giving the sale early and showing the developers you want more then you might get that sequel and saving that extra money you give us a deal on makes it all the sweeter, a win-win so to speak. So all in all I would say the bigger savings you can offer the more you will see people purchase from Amazon Digital Video Games in my honest opinion.

You addressed most of my questions which is great but I do have one for you. How are you planning to keep competitive with websites that offer pre-order deals on physical copies at the same prices or cheaper than your digital copies? For instance I know newegg is making a killing right now on all the $12 to $15 off pre-orders on PC games, some activate on Steam, some do not but that isn't everything to every gamer. I know Rage:Anarchy edition just went for $42.99 or so from $60 on PC and Battlefield 3 went from $60 to like $47.99 and that swayed a lot of people to get in. I also know greenmangaming is another household brand on these forums and their referral system stacking with discount coupons with pre-order discounts is generating a lot of business from a lot of members on here. For instance the recent pre-order on Dead Island for $34 and some change. So my question to you is what are you thinking/planning to do to combat the intense competition you are up against? I know you have excellent customer service and clarity in your mission statement here and a group loyal to amazon above other retailers but what are you planning on doing to not only sway more buyers to use Amazon digital downloads but appeal to those who may go else where solely because of pricing? The truth is we vote with our wallet these days, and even loyalty can be "bought" with cheaper pricing and sales and you have to find a way to stay competitive and one step ahead of the game that way you will be successful and it is a win win, you get business, we get good deals. Just some food for thought.

Thanks in advance for reading all that (wall of text :lol: ). I appreciate you taking your time to respond and your interactions on here it is good stuff and nice to feel like Big Business isn't so far out of reach.[/QUOTE]

:applause:

I don't have much at all to add to this comment; but it's a great summary of the current state of gamers on this board. Some are flippers, some are hoarders, and others are whiny and entitled. BUT (!), *a lot* of us are game fans through and through. We want to support developers, our favorite distribution sites and clients, and our fellow gamers. We share a hobby; and just like any other hobby, you feel a stronger connection with your peers and the creator and seller of your passion. But, unfortunately, in the current climate, cash is king. And we're often forced to wait on a AAA game or deal with crappy customer service at particular B&M stores because money is tight. And with that said, I think lower prices are going to win over a lot of hearts. Seems simple enough; but for some reason, a lot of retailers don't realize we're not all that interested in a crappy bonus gun (Gamestop), a "Buy New Release get an old release for 50% off" (Best Buy), or "Get a Blu Ray for free with purchase of new release game" (Best Buy again). We're a smart bunch, we don't really jump to our cars to spend more money or to get some silly bonus that we either don't want or need. We want a discount on Day One... or earlier.

Oh, and also; I agree that NewEgg has done a solid job of discounting their retail PC games. A lot of people still like discs, boxes, and manuals - something you can "hold". But, don't forget, those customers will be waiting 2-3 days to get their game. If we can be playing (or at least downloading) our games at 12:01am on release day, that's a worthwhile incentive to go DD (so long as prices are still competitive).

[quote name='Amazon DVG Deals']Thanks Smiley, awesome name by the way, in my head you are now a floating, sentient, emoticon. You're welcome for the interaction/taking the time to absorb feedback, although it is definitely not something you should have to say "thanks" for. You all are doing me the favor by helping me craft how we approach you as customers.

I'll definitely be creating a consolidated mega-thread. To be honest I wanted to make sure that this community could support that sort of time investment from a "we want you here interacting with us" standpoint. You all have answered that with an encouraging, resounding "YES".

I'm going to be as frank and transparent as possible in my interaction with you all, to that end, I am letting you know that there is a specific announcement that I'm waiting for to build said mega thread. Hopefully you will all enjoy it![/QUOTE]

Well, you'd be surprised how disconnected some retailers are with their customers these days. So it really is refreshing to see some take the time to advance the consumer's experience, especially since Amazon has already been delivering one of, if not the best shopping experiences for many. The way I see it, both sides simply prosper even more with moves like this.

[quote name='Amazon DVG Deals']2. I hear you all loud and clear on pre-orders and will actually toss a question back at you. What drives your purchase decision on pre-orders more, $$ off or in game stuff? [/QUOTE]

Definitely $$ savings! This is evidenced by the growing Green Man Gaming customer base here. Simply put, the lowest pre-order prices out there hold the keys to our wallets! :D

bread's done
Back