Amazon Download - First Deal of The Week - Help Me Decide What We Offer

Amazon DVG Deals

Official Representative
Feedback
4 (100%)
Hi CAGs,

*Edit: I have created a Deal of the Week thread. Please move all conversations on this topic there. Unless you have formed an attachment to this thread, in which case I'm happy to continue talking with you here :).

Click here to check it out.

Thanks for helping to build our first Deal of the Week.

Ok everyone after listening to all of your feedback, I've come back with the following deal of the week selection:

80% off bundles:

Jagged Bundle: $3.99

1. Jagged Alliance 2: $2.99 individually
  2. Jagged Alliance 2: Unfinished Business: $2.99 individually

War Games Bundle: Price: $14.99

1. 688I Hunter Killer: $5.99 individually
  2. Dangerous Waters: $4.50 individually
  3. Combat Mission: Beyond Overlord: $2.99 individually
  4. Ubersoldier 2: $2.99 individually
  5. Razor II: Hidden Skies: $2.99 individually
  6. Death to Spies: $2.39 individually

Disciples II Gold Edition: $1.99 this is a single download that includes:

1. Dark Prophecy
  2. Guardians of the Light
  3. Servants of the Dark
  4. Rise of the Elves
  5. Plus 5 New Bonus Quests
Amazon's Choice Bundle: $27.99

1. Ninja Blade 8.99 individually
  2. Dark Fall: Lights Out - Director's Cut Edition 5.99 individually
  3. Gods: Lands of Infinity: $5.99 individually
  4. Puzzle Kingdoms 5.99 individually
  5. Warrior Kings: Battles 5.99
  6. Robin Hood: The Legend of Sherwood 2.99 individually
  7. O.R.B. 2.99 individually
  8. Port Royale 2 1.49 individually
  9. D.W.A.R.F.S. 1.49 individually

Additional Individual Games Available a la carte for 70% off:

1. Emergency 3: $2.99
  2. Flatout: Ultimate Carnage: $5.99
  3. Death to Spies (mentioned above but specifically requested so i am listing again: $2.39)
  4. Sacred Gold: $2.99
Hope the new format makes it easier to ingest the information!

Cheers,
Tony

Last edited by a moderator:
I want 0 of those games :[
Its a good idea but it could be better. I think you need more games like Ninja Blade
The list seems to be filled with a bunch of games that no one particularly would want but would buy
since its cheap which might be your goal.

I got way better deals and bundles on steam for less than 70$.
If i had an interest in this bundle, I would pay 20$ tops.
I can go on steam right now and get all the hitman and kane and lynch games for 20$.

These are all games that other websites have been offering for similar prices for a while (Good Ol' Games and Steam). I personally would much rather buy from them anyway seeing as you guys already get a ton of my money as it is lol.

If you had more hard copy sales, I'd be more inclined to purchase things like that from you. Like Ninja Blade on Xbox 360 for 8.99 would be a good deal.

Thanks for giving us input on the matter though. I do appreciate it, I just don't see this as a market that is any different than what other companies are already offering.

[quote name='jinxpalm']Where's the non download deals? That's what the average person is going to want here.[/QUOTE]

Lol, I was thinking that before clicking this deal even though I know it's for dl games.

That's a lot of money for a lot of games I've never heard of.

Also, I'm more interested in a physical product (not that I would be against all download deals).

well, im sure I speak for most of us when i say thank you for getting us involved, that's pretty cool.

however, to echo my fellow CAGers here, physical product is what we're more interested in

[quote name='gomikeoh']most of these games are garbage.

T_____________T[/QUOTE]

[quote name='UnrealZero']I got way better deals and bundles on steam for less than 70$.
If i had an interest in this bundle, I would pay 20$ tops.
I can go on steam right now and get all the hitman and kane and lynch games for 20$.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='TopsideKracker']That's a lot of money for a lot of games I've never heard of.

Also, I'm more interested in a physical product (not that I would be against all download deals).[/QUOTE]

Sorry for not being clearer in my original post. The point of this thread is for you folks who would originally see an offer like this and say OMG!!!! $70 for those games?!?!?

To say "I really don't want to spend $70 on that bundle...but if i could spend $XX on fewer of those games that I'm actually interested in I'd love that"

and then providing me with the games you would like to see in a bundle so I can come back with a different price point and bundle composition.

If the answer is simply that absolutely none of these games appeal to you and that you wouldn't want to try them for any amount, no matter how low, that is a different story, but still valuable info.

As someone who has played some of these games, I know that both Jagged Alliance 2 games for $3 each (70% off if bought individually) sounds pretty sweet to me.

Thanks again for the quick and honest feedback though everyone.

Cheers,
Tony

a smaller, cheaper bundle might be more enticing, as I would definitely pick up Jagged Alliance 2 and Disciples 2, but a lot of those other games I've never even heard of.

but I think 70% off those titles individually is a pretty good deal.

sorry about the lack of constructive criticism you've been getting so far, good luck to you!

Although many here may be after normal retail deals, I think this is a nice step forward in seeking consumer input for digital deals. Normally, the ability to provide such input doesn't exist, and companies are often doing their own random thing.

From what I can tell, you already have a majority of the decent games from the overall list, with a few random extras thrown in. If I were after this deal, I see nothing else that could be added to improve it. However, to be perfectly honest, I would likely be skipping this deal anyway as I already own the games I want through them. Just providing general feedback though.

Still, as someone dying to see more competition in the digital PC realm, I love seeing a service here actually asking for input. I hope you post future deals as well, as I am definitely interesting in seeing what Amazon has to offer down the road.

Tony, sorry to jump on the debbie downer bandwagon. But ya, I wouldn't waste my valuable gaming time on any of those games, let alone 70$.

Thanks tho.

EDIT: A suggestion... maybe make the sale pick 8 games from X list for 10$ bucks.

That might be better. But I still wouldn't play any of those games.

[quote name='jinxpalm']Where's the non download deals? That's what the average person is going to want here.[/QUOTE]
Yes. Obviously Strategy First is not going to offer console games, but that would be nice in the future.

These are old games, but are ONLY games that I think they are worth to play if you are still into old games:
Jagged Alliance 2, Port Royale 2 and possibly Disciples II.

Steam had those games on sale for less than $4.99 each. This deal is completely terrible.
If you really spend $70 on the bundle you are wasting a huge amount of money.

I'd like to give Amazon positive acknowledgement for trying to involve our community, and will also say digital title deals are not for everyone, but there is a large community on CAG that supports and wants digital deals (the hundreds of pages in the iOS and Steam threads alone are support of this). That being said, Steam has set the bar so high that this offering does not seem very interesting without more AAA titles. 70% off individual titles is great, though, as it gives lesser known titles a bigger chance at being played.

If you want to really start this off big, you'd need a deal on a title that Steam doesn't even have like StarCraft II (although Amazon doesn't offer this as a download either).

Sorry for not being clearer in my original post. The point of this thread is for you folks who would originally see an offer like this and say OMG!!!! $70 for those games?!?!?

I don't think many of us would buy bundles that big. As funny as it sounds, considering even some of us will pay full retail price ($60) for a new release if we want it bad enough. Offering the standard 70% on a giant list, without the bundle, would be okay, I think.

To say "I really don't want to spend $70 on that bundle...but if i could spend $XX on fewer of those games that I'm actually interested in I'd love that"

I think this is the way to go. Steam does deals like this where they offer all the games in a series, like Broken Sword 1-3, or the game and all its DLC, like Sims 3 and all the DLC for that.

and then providing me with the games you would like to see in a bundle so I can come back with a different price point and bundle composition.

The only PC game I want that I'm currently lacking is StarCraft II, but I know a ton of casual gamers that are waiting on price drops for anything Sims 3 related.

If the answer is simply that absolutely none of these games appeal to you and that you wouldn't want to try them for any amount, no matter how low, that is a different story, but still valuable info.

Sometimes people will try games they've never heard of or don't have interest in if the price is low enough and enough marketing material on the sale page piques their interest when its on sale. As funny as it sounds, the list is too long and contains too many low-profile items.

Thanks again though for your participation in our forum and asking for feedback. A rare and welcome sign of hopefully things to come from retailers.

I just noticed the Flatout games on there as well. I would purchase a Flatout bundle for around $5-$10. Those are underrated racing games.

Cheap Ass Gamerers?

Other than Ninja Blade I don't think I have heard about any of those games before. I can't think of any suggestions of the top of my head but I am sure someone else here can give you some.

I must agree with most of the people here, I have never heard of these games which doesn't really want to make me take a leap of faith and buy a bunch of games I've never heard of for such a large amount. The 70% off individual games is an awesome first step though. I think we need more AAA titles and more physical games in order to see a huge increase in interest from the majority of the CAG community.

(The games don't have to be new, I'd love to have a cheap "Fallout" bundle or something like that!)

With that being said, I think it is an awesome thing that Amazon want's our opinion and is actually willing to hear us out. :D A big step for Amazon, and any company willing to follow.

[quote name='eliter1']Cheap Ass Gamerers?

Other than Ninja Blade I don't think I have heard about any of those games before. I can't think of any suggestions of the top of my head but I am sure someone else here can give you some.[/QUOTE]

It's not even the Ninja Blade you think it is!

edit: my mistake, it is

So, here is the bundle I would want

Jagged Alliance 2/Unfinished Business
Disciples II Gold
Flatout/Ultimate Carnage
Ninja Blade

I'd pay around $20-$25 for that bundle.

Was hoping for physical media, but for digital downloads...I'm underwhelmed both by the list of games and the price. The 70% off individual games isn't too bad, but a $70 bundle containing a bunch of old games that have limited appeal...not even slightly interested.

Part of the problem is the competition...I don't buy games like that on Steam unless they are AT LEAST 75% off, and even then I'd pass on the majority of those games on the list. Not sure there's too much you can do about it if you are limited to that catalog, so I'd suggest a MUCH lower price point than $70.

I'm just hoping you won't be scared off by the negative feedback:roll:

Awesome feedback everyone keep it coming.

Here's what I'm hearing - $70 = WAAAAYYY too high for this title selection.

Give me about 30 minutes to bake up some other bundles and options. Stay tuned!

Also I'm fixing CAGers!

Cheers,
Tony

Wow, I'm going to go a different direction here. Man, a lot of naysayers in the early posts.

Personally, I'd love anything from Jagged Alliance 2. Some friends and I were just talking about that game the other weekend and I'd love to get it again along with the expansion Unfinished Business. Especially since it's an older game, I'm not as concerned with physical versus download. I just want it to work on my Windows 7 laptop.

I'm going to look up some of the games I don't know and see if I forgot some of them. It's funny how they've been put down already but I wonder if they were cheap or free iOS games would the reaction be different?

Anyway, glad to see an Amazon rep here getting directly involved. For many like myself we've started turning to Amazon first for games. Thanks for contacting our dysfunctional little community.

[quote name='Lord_Kefka']Wow, I'm going to go a different direction here. Man, a lot of naysayers in the early posts.

Personally, I'd love anything from Jagged Alliance 2. Some friends and I were just talking about that game the other weekend and I'd love to get it again along with the expansion Unfinished Business. Especially since it's an older game, I'm not as concerned with physical versus download. I just want it to work on my Windows 7 laptop.

I'm going to look up some of the games I don't know and see if I forgot some of them. It's funny how they've been put down already but I wonder if they were cheap or free iOS games would the reaction be different?

Anyway, glad to see an Amazon rep here getting directly involved. For many like myself we've started turning to Amazon first for games. Thanks for contacting our dysfunctional little community.[/QUOTE]

Finally, someone else who's played JA2. Thought I was losing it for a second!

While I would totally be interested in some of those games, I buy all my PC games exclusively through Steam. I just prefer to have everything in one place.

[quote name='Amazon DVG Deals']Awesome feedback everyone keep it coming.

Here's what I'm hearing - $70 = WAAAAYYY too high for this title selection.

Give me about 30 minutes to bake up some other bundles and options. Stay tuned!

Also I'm fixing CAGers!

Cheers,
Tony[/QUOTE]

I think the problem with the $70 pack is like buying a retail CD when you only like the current single off of it. People will do that because hey, I like what I've seen of this artist so far, so I will gamble on the rest. I think that's how Steam's deals where you can get an entire series or a game and all its DLC work.

But this $70 pack is like buying 20 CDs, 19 of which you've never heard of before.

Kuribo's Shoe;8832097]Finally said:
Sometimes when I read posts I can hear the teenage voices cracking. I'll guess you are with me in being a few years older than that. Maybe even remember the demo discs from PC Gamer mag? That's where I first played JA2.

On topic: Tony, if those JA2 games come out to around $3 each like you said, I'm in for sure. I know these deals are based around Strategy First. Any hints to other possible companies that could be spotlighted?

[quote name='utopianmachine']While I would totally be interested in some of those games, I buy all my PC games exclusively through Steam. I just prefer to have everything in one place.[/QUOTE]

I tend to be the same, but some of Amazon's keys are usable on Origin and Steam. And honestly, if Amazon's prices are low enough, or offering games Steam isn't, wouldn't you give in?

[quote name='Lord_Kefka']Sometimes when I read posts I can hear the teenage voices cracking. I'll guess you are with me in being a few years older than that. Maybe even remember the demo discs from PC Gamer mag? That's where I first played JA2.

On topic: Tony, if those JA2 games come out to around $3 each like you said, I'm in for sure. I know these deals are based around Strategy First. Any hints to other possible companies that could be spotlighted?[/QUOTE]

yup. still have my boxed copy, as a matter of fact. doesn't work on any of my computers, though.

[quote name='utopianmachine']While I would totally be interested in some of those games, I buy all my PC games exclusively through Steam. I just prefer to have everything in one place.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I figured from your user title. :lol:
This is also what I prefer too. If the game is on Steam, I wait for the sale to come eventually because even though it's an old game they ALWAYS go offer a huge discount on sales like Summer or Winter sales.

That's when I finally grabbed games like JA2 and Sid Meier's Pirates! on Steam.
Very convenient on re-downloading games and managing their updates. I just think Amazon Downloads holds a huge disadvantage here like that, so in order to be in the competition deals would have to be superb.

I think it's a good idea to offer a bundle with an extra 10% off combined with the 70% off games if I were to purchase them separately. The only problem here is that I don't like strategy games in general, but that's just a personal complaint. I liked the deals for Deus Ex for $35 a week after release and $40 for Dead Island/Space Marine the day after they came out. I bit on Deus Ex and probably would have on Dead Island if it weren't for the PC version being a mess, but that's not your problem.

As somebody who does buy from your digital download service, I like newer releases getting discounted like you've been doing. For a weekly deal, this is a good idea, but the games themselves are not something that I would buy. As an example, I bought Condemned from your service when you were selling it for $5. Why? It was a more recent game, it was cheap, wasn't available on Steam, it was a good game (imo), and amazon's policy when it comes to CD Keys.

I'm just highlighting all this, because maybe you'll find something valuable in all of this information.

Kuribo's Shoe;8832057 said:
a smaller, cheaper bundle might be more enticing, as I would definitely pick up Jagged Alliance 2 and Disciples 2, but a lot of those other games I've never even heard of.

but I think 70% off those titles individually is a pretty good deal.

sorry about the lack of constructive criticism you've been getting so far, good luck to you!

I agree a bundle of maybe 5-10 games would be better. Perhaps have a flat rate and let the buyer choose 5 games?

I would not buy the bundle at $70 but maybe a couple of games for $2-$3 each

I would like to see a deal on emergency 3. Brings back memories of old pc games. I already have 688 on steam but I loved those sub sim games.

Thanks for soliciting input though

Tony, you are probably sick of hearing it on this forum already, but when it comes to digital download deals, everything gets compared to past Steam deals, namely the Summer/Holiday sale as they repeat their prices most often.

I can tell you from the Summer Sale Steam had recently that, Strategy First had a complete pack that was on sale for $49.99 and included all their games on Steam (44 total I believe). I know what you are doing isn't a Summer/Holiday sale thing and instead a weekly event (which is good, more deals the better for everyone :D ) but unfortunately people will and do (at least on forums that care about digital downloads a bit in my experience).

Now for feedback on the deal itself. IMO, the price is to high, you really should keep a bundle for a weekly thing like this at $50 or under, cause people can easily relate that $50 to the cost of one game (I know ! I know! Games are $60 MSRP now mostly but that doesn't matter, $50 is kind of the bar for most still). From a buyers standpoint, when they see $50 and xxx amount of games, they can instantly relate that to a single new game, then they will go through the list and determine if enough of the games in that bundle catch their attention. I think it is good you give a greater discount for the bundle too, to give more incentive, but it is also great you are giving a very good discount on each title individually. I say this because, when I see a bundle for say $40 but say I only want a few of the games in it, but those few games even at their not as well discounted price (say 50% for example) total up to $30, it turns me away from purchasing anything. Why? Because I see for $10 more I could get a bunch more games, even if I don't want them but it lowers the value of the game I do want and fee ripped off paying so much more for a few games, now if the single game discount is high (say like your 70%) then this doesn't happen. I only bring this up so you know for future deals (as you did perfect with the purpose current deal as far as discount % goes imo).

As for the games themselves, I personally own a few (Jagged Alliance 2 and Disciples 2 coming to mind instantly) but have little to no interest in most the others. The problem with this is, this isn't your fault, but the publishers. There could and quite possibly are a few other games I'd be interested in the list, but, and this is the big one here, if there isn't a nice layout to view a summary of the games with a little synapse and a picture of the cover to go with it to catch my attention then I am probably not going to see it when I need to click on a bunch of links to just see what the game is. Again, I hate to say it, but go check out Steam and click on one of the publishers on the bottom of the page and see how they have a list of games presented.

The other problem is, people that are generally hunting down digital deals on forums like these and see post on other forums game sections are looking for more well known games in general or just solid good games that have a following that others in their forum community can provide feedback on, this is a hard issue to really resolve and isn't your fault, but it is another issue that is there whether we like it or not.

Hopefully this all made sense and I am not giving you the impression to just copy/become like Steam. Steam is the leader of digital downloads right now though and they do do a lot right so it is hard not to reference them some. Any questions or clarification just ask and I'll try my best. I think I should get a job working for you lol.

New Bundle Options - Let me know what you think, and yes I'll get multiple set up if it sounds like you all would get value out of it. I'm also including the individual title price at 70% off.

P.S. If it is a Steamworks game you can activate it on Steam. I absolutely need to remember to keep mentioning this.

I've included 2 alternative bundles below, bundle pricing, individual pricing, and some metacritic/gamespot review information.

Additionally, all of the games in the original list of 27 games, plus "I of Dragon" per Darkarchon's request will definitely be on sale for 70% off individually and we will not be doing a $70 bundle.

Bundle 1 "The Jagged Bundle" - Price: $3.98

Jagged Alliance 2: 8.8 user score on metacritic $2.99
Jagged Alliance 2: Unfinished Business: 9.3 user score on metacritic $2.99

Bundle 2 "War Games Bundle" - Price: $14.53

688I Hunter Killer:8.8 Gamespot Score $5.99
Dangerous Waters:8.8 user score on metacritic 82 reviewer score $4.50
Combat Mission: Beyond Overlord: 9.1 Gamespot review...editor's choice $2.99
Ubersoldier 2: 61/100 reviewer score on metacritic $2.99
Razor II: Hidden Skies: 7.5 user$2.99
Death to Spies: 7.6 user score metacritic $2.39

Thanks everyone! Keep the suggestions coming.

Cheers,
Tony

Hey Tony, Do you have a way to bundle games on Nintendo's eShop? They never run sales or have discounts of any kind. So any bundle price less than MSRP would be a deal. Amazon has one Wiiware title in World of Goo available to download and that's it.

If you made a Wayforward Bundle with Shantae, Mighty Milky Way, Mighty Flip Champs for $20 as an example (but not that one cause I already spent $12 on Shantae)

Also if this is out of your hands do you plan on offering 3DS eShop download codes for upcoming games like Mutant Mudds, Rolling Western or Mighty Switch Force?

Not sure why people keep lamenting that these are digital deals instead of physical when he is clearly the digital rep.

Anyway, after being burned by so many "bad" bundles I really have no interest in buying them. I buy all of my PC games digitally but I prefer lower priced individual titles as opposed to bundles 99% of the time.

In regards to the specific bundle you are offering, I have no interest in those particular games so I can't offer much of an opinion.

Dear Amazon,
I will never pay for digital download files of video games. I spend a lot of money on video games in general (especially collector's editions) but I always want to get something physical for my cash. If I wanted downloads I would get them for free from a torrent site.

[quote name='Amazon DVG Deals']
Bundle 1 "The Jagged Bundle" - Price: $3.98

Jagged Alliance 2: 8.8 user score on metacritic $2.99
Jagged Alliance 2: Unfinished Business: 9.3 user score on metacritic $2.99

Cheers,
Tony[/QUOTE]

This looks like a good bundle that I would buy. Overall I am probably just going to pick and choose what games I want at the 70% off.

The games the I am interested in are JA2, I of the dragon, and the robin hood game.

bread's done
Back