Amazon Download - First Deal of The Week - Help Me Decide What We Offer

Amazon DVG Deals

Official Representative
Feedback
4 (100%)
Hi CAGs,

*Edit: I have created a Deal of the Week thread. Please move all conversations on this topic there. Unless you have formed an attachment to this thread, in which case I'm happy to continue talking with you here :).

Click here to check it out.

Thanks for helping to build our first Deal of the Week.

Ok everyone after listening to all of your feedback, I've come back with the following deal of the week selection:

80% off bundles:

Jagged Bundle: $3.99

1. Jagged Alliance 2: $2.99 individually
  2. Jagged Alliance 2: Unfinished Business: $2.99 individually

War Games Bundle: Price: $14.99

1. 688I Hunter Killer: $5.99 individually
  2. Dangerous Waters: $4.50 individually
  3. Combat Mission: Beyond Overlord: $2.99 individually
  4. Ubersoldier 2: $2.99 individually
  5. Razor II: Hidden Skies: $2.99 individually
  6. Death to Spies: $2.39 individually

Disciples II Gold Edition: $1.99 this is a single download that includes:

1. Dark Prophecy
  2. Guardians of the Light
  3. Servants of the Dark
  4. Rise of the Elves
  5. Plus 5 New Bonus Quests
Amazon's Choice Bundle: $27.99

1. Ninja Blade 8.99 individually
  2. Dark Fall: Lights Out - Director's Cut Edition 5.99 individually
  3. Gods: Lands of Infinity: $5.99 individually
  4. Puzzle Kingdoms 5.99 individually
  5. Warrior Kings: Battles 5.99
  6. Robin Hood: The Legend of Sherwood 2.99 individually
  7. O.R.B. 2.99 individually
  8. Port Royale 2 1.49 individually
  9. D.W.A.R.F.S. 1.49 individually

Additional Individual Games Available a la carte for 70% off:

1. Emergency 3: $2.99
  2. Flatout: Ultimate Carnage: $5.99
  3. Death to Spies (mentioned above but specifically requested so i am listing again: $2.39)
  4. Sacred Gold: $2.99
Hope the new format makes it easier to ingest the information!

Cheers,
Tony

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='mj1984']dear amazon,
i will never pay for digital download files of video games. I spend a lot of money on video games in general (especially collector's editions) but i always want to get something physical for my cash. If i wanted downloads i would get them for free from a torrent site.[/quote]

gtfo!

[quote name='eliter1']gtfo![/QUOTE]

Seconded. This is a site about buying games, not stealing them.

I also wish people would stop thread crapping this downloads thread.

[quote name='eliter1']Cheap Ass Gamerers?[/QUOTE]

Who cares, really? It's no worse than the thousands of people who say "DC Comics".

[quote name='eliter1']gtfo![/QUOTE]
Seriously agree. Many people buy and enjoy digital games. We don't need to hear about your "excuses" for pirating.

[quote name='mj1984']Dear Amazon,
I will never pay for digital download files of video games. I spend a lot of money on video games in general (especially collector's editions) but I always want to get something physical for my cash. If I wanted downloads I would get them for free from a torrent site.[/QUOTE]

Dear mj1984,

fuck off.

Sincerely,

CAG Community

[quote name='espy605']I tend to be the same, but some of Amazon's keys are usable on Origin and Steam. And honestly, if Amazon's prices are low enough, or offering games Steam isn't, wouldn't you give in?[/QUOTE]

If the game is able to be activated on Steam, I would jump on it.

As for so low that I use Amazon's client? Eh. I like the community aspect of Steam. Also, having all my games in one place sort of makes Steam like a console experience. I've been into PC gaming less than a year, so I'm looking for the experience most like what I'm already familiar with.

Seeing what my buddies are playing and trading gifts back and forth through Steam is what gives it its magic.

[quote name='mj1984']Dear Amazon,
I will never pay for digital download files of video games. I spend a lot of money on video games in general (especially collector's editions) but I always want to get something physical for my cash. If I wanted downloads I would get them for free from a torrent site.[/QUOTE]

Stay classy.

First of all, welcome Amazon DVG Deals (if that is your real name). It's great to finally have an Amazon rep and the chance to influence digital daily deals!

That 70.00 bundle was a horrible idea, I'm glad it was canned.

The Jagged Alliance bundle sounds good, and the price is right.

These are also really the only games on the list I am interested in, seeing as how I already got the latest Flatout game on Steam for $2.00, and also Port Royale for a buck. The rest of the games I've never heard of, besides scrolling through lists of them on Steam during the seasonal sales.

Oh, almost forgot: Is Jagged Alliance 2 and the expansion a Steamworks game?

[quote name='utopianmachine']Seeing what my buddies are playing and trading gifts back and forth through Steam is what gives it its magic.
[/QUOTE]

You can still use the Steam overlay with non-Steam games.

It's not a bad deal but it's just that I've always gotten my (few) downloadable games through Steam so that's generally what I use. Having to make multiple stops is kind of a hassle. If you guys had an agreement with Valve where you sell codes to redeem through Steam, then I'm all for that.

I'm really happy that CAG gets to help with these bundles...and in. fact, how about some puzzle bundles too?! Like puzzle quest esque games.

[quote name='utopianmachine']What do you mean?[/QUOTE]

He meant you can put non Steam games into the UI by selecting "add a non-steam game"or something like that.

Jagged Alliance bundle sounds like a decent deal.

For future bundle deals, wouldn't mind seeing one for Fallout 1/2/Fallout Tactics: Brotherhood of Steel.

[quote name='vlv723']He meant you can put non Steam games into the UI by selecting "add a non-steam game"or something like that.[/QUOTE]

Oh, I never liked that. It doesn't show that you're playing it or how much time you've spent with the game. It just sits in your library, looking like a game you've never played.

[quote name='utopianmachine']Oh, I never liked that. It doesn't show that you're playing it or how much time you've spent with the game. It just sits in your library, looking like a game you've never played.[/QUOTE]

It still lets you use some of Steam's features. I do agree that it's not at all ideal, but I can deal with it if I save enough cash over buying on Steam.

Bundles are great and all, but the biggest issue I have with them is that you're mixing some great games in with a majority of games that aren't particularly in demand. If I were attempting to make Amazon my go to download spot, I would aim at dropping the price dramatically on one relatively exceptional game and then discount the rest of that company's catalog accordingly, but perhaps not as dramatically as the game that gets you in the door, so to speak.

Honestly, the only reason I personally will buy a downloadable version of a game over a physical copy is because I know I might get an amazing deal on it. Here's an example - Dragon Age II ... bought the signature edition on PC when it came out, held on to it because it got mediocre reviews and ended up selling it for $70. Then, Origin had the same game (sans Sig Ed. content) for around $10.50 last week. That is an amazing deal ... and gets people to peruse the other items on sale.

Just my thoughts, but definitely, when it comes to bundles, less can often times mean more. The double edged sword of a giant bundle is that if I already have a few of the games, I'm less likely to pay the higher price you would charge for a huge bundle ... so smaller bundles or single deals are my preference. Now ... if you're talking a really high profile developer, well that might be a different story ... but the price needs to be relative to the "real" value of these games, not the publisher's msrp.

[quote name='Jerajdai']
For future bundle deals, wouldn't mind seeing one for Fallout 1/2/Fallout Tactics: Brotherhood of Steel.[/QUOTE]

This times a million. I have very little interest in PC games, but if you could put out a bundle like that for, say, $10, I'd be all over it. (Doesn't even have to be Steam compatible)

Having all videogame platform deals lumped into one forum is the reason for a bit of what you're seeing, Tony. There's a huge 'digital' crowd here, but there are as many or more into physical media. Please, people, this is not the thread to discuss the preference of your platform. Have some courtesy! The thread title is quite clear.

Having said that, I'm less inclined to bite on higher retail SKUs. Particularly those that are well above the price of an actual game... unless you're talking many AAA games, which we are not. That's no knock against Strategy First, but rather pointing out the obvious - this is not id/Bethesda/EA/THQ/Capcom/Ubisoft... or even PopCap we're talking about here. There are some good games, but too many in the bundle that land only in the realm of fringe interest.

I like the Flatout bundle (but have those already). There are definitely a few nice strategy and adventure bundle opportunities too.

Puzzle Kingdoms, Port Royale 2, Sacred Series, Darkstar One, and Ghost Master always get good buzz around here whenever they go on sale.

Personally, though, I've cherry-picked my own way through the Strategy First catalogue since their games have been featured in so many sales over the last few years.

[quote name='Jerajdai']Jagged Alliance bundle sounds like a decent deal.

For future bundle deals, wouldn't mind seeing one for Fallout 1/2/Fallout Tactics: Brotherhood of Steel.[/QUOTE]

why not just get them on gog?

Lol, you people keep paying for things that don't really exist, and I'll keep buying my physical games, playing them whenever I want, and re-selling them if I feel like it. You guys are signing the death warrant for retail and used game stores everywhere, and also for video games as a hobby. Have fun playing jagged battlefield 27 in 10 years.

[quote name='mj1984']Lol, you people keep paying for things that don't really exist, and I'll keep buying my physical games, playing them whenever I want, and re-selling them if I feel like it. You guys are signing the death warrant for retail and used game stores everywhere, and also for video games as a hobby. Have fun playing jagged battlefield 27 in 10 years.[/QUOTE]

Too bad you didn't drown in crystal lake...

Just a tip man, the CAG community in general (DD or physical) would prefer a sizable quantity of GOOD games rather than a slew of "meh". Usually we're so busy that we'd like to spend the time we have to play on something worthwhile :)

alright Mr. Amazon Rep here are my two cents
the bundles are nice but i would avoid putting more than 4 games in a bundle unless it's an absolute steal or if you are certain that a lot of people don't own the games and at least have some kind of interest in them,

another option you can have is pick and choose, for example you give a list of some games people want and some games people have never heard of and say pick any four of these for $15, the list will probably contain around 2-4 games people will actually want and the rest would be considered filler until they actually play that game and decide if they like it or not, also the chances of people owning at least one of the games in demand is pretty high so in the end they will probably have to buy one of the games they never heard of to really take advantage of the bundle

or you could do wat some retailers are doing like say if you let someone preorder Call of Duty Modern Warfare 3 or Battlefield 3 you can give them a bundle for free or at a very discounted price, or a discount on another purchase of a hot release title or a title relating to the original purchase to build up the hype, or some amazon credit (that seems to always get people to buy stuff)

You should also inform people if the game you are digitally distributing is compatible with steam and/or Origin(considering millions of pc gamers will have to use it anyway) and don't forget to check out their prices too, you should aim to price match them if you are really pushing to sell that title, but you don't really need to price match a three year old game that steam is selling for $1 (i'm assuming this wouldn't benefit anyone on your side of the table)

So there you have it, I really appreciate amazon reaching out to to it's customers, hope to see great deal from you guys in the future

[quote name='mj1984']Lol, you people keep paying for things that don't really exist, and I'll keep buying my physical games, playing them whenever I want, and re-selling them if I feel like it. You guys are signing the death warrant for retail and used game stores everywhere, and also for video games as a hobby. Have fun playing jagged battlefield 27 in 10 years.[/QUOTE]
Welcome to the digital age buddy, now kindly STFU.

By your definition, this website doesn't really exist. How about you quit posting/reading here and just use print ads to find your deals for now on?

...says the kid who endorses pirating games off of torrents.

One last thing...

Thanks for being an active member of the CAG community Tony! I hope it isn't too laborious to sift through the crap posts from the negative nannys!

Some of us do appreciate your willingness to listen, and overall respectful demeanor.

Kudos Sir.

To everyone who isn't Tony: Jagged Alliance 2 is BRILLIANT. I find it difficult to go back to X-COM now, because JA2 improves on that formula in a lot of ways (most notably speed). All it's really missing is research - I do love me some research. $4 for JA2 + Unfinished Business is a very good deal!

To Tony: a lot of people here have been buying bargain games for a long time. The larger the bundle you offer, the more likely we'll already own multiple titles included - and probably the best ones. ;) I suggest keeping your bundles small, tight and cheap.

On a more personal note, why is Spore so rarely discounted? I want $4 Spore, please! :)

You know Tony -- I just had what I thought was a great idea.

What about doing a complete 95% off or something stupid on a brand new hot title like what was done with Lady Gaga's new album for $.99 on release day? I can't tell you how many people jumped on that, posted on FB, etc.

Is that within your control...as most people (including myself until now) didn't realize Amazon even did digital distribution. Not to mention, there are usually cheaper/better integrated places to purchase unless by sheer price (Steam will usually get my money as most of my digital collection is already there).

Kuribo's Shoe;8832073]I just noticed the Flatout games on there as well. I would purchase a Flatout bundle for around $5-$10. Those are underrated racing games.[/QUOTE] This was a total "miss" on my part and I'm editing the original thread said:
Death to Spies and Jack Keane have both been on my radar, but I'm not interested in picking up a huge bundle for $70.

Same message here with Jack Keane I'll make sure Death to Spies is available for 70% off (so roughly $2.39)

[quote name='sinned47']i think its pretty awesome we can influence the deal of week.[/QUOTE]

I really want you all to feel like part of the process. There are some great suggestions here too that, although I can't make happen at the drop of the hat, I will definitely be taking back to my team.

Kuribo's Shoe;8832228]Love that Jagged Bundle. Do something with the Flatout games too said:
I'm really glad I'm getting all the feedback, look at it from my perspective, it would be much better to get all this feedback upfront than launch something I THINK you would like and then have it backfire.

Thanks for the warm welcome! I've heard your message loud and clear and I really apologize for listing some of those games that we aren't distributing currently. The filter I used to pull Strategy First titles didn't include a "must be available for download". I'm fixing the original list now.

I will be posting a final "Here's what next week's deal looks like" post shortly. Stay tuned!

Cheers,
Tony

Tony - thanks for stopping by - awesome of you!

I'd like to touch on what someone else mentioned - Nintendo downloads.
You offer a rather wide selection of Nintendo Wii Virtual Console titles. I guarantee that virtually any bundle you put together that doesn't include Urban Champion will be a great seller.

Hey Tony I also am not that big of a fan of the deal, not really looking to drop that amount on about a game or two I would want. But I was thinking maybe you can do themed packs. Like one week you can have an fps pack, with like 4-5 fps, and then the next a strategy pack pack and so on. I think that would be something fun and everyone could get on a deal sometime. Not sure about what should be included but yeah! haha. Thanks for being on cag!

I have most of the titles on that list that I would want; but I'm glad to see there will be a Flatout bundle in the ~$6 range. I'll probably be grabbing that.

I agree with the sentiments here about, for better or for worse, your prices will be compared to Steam's lowest sale price, regardless of when that might have been. So, unfortunately, some of those games will be tougher sales. I also agree that a $50 bundle is easier to swallow than a $70 one - even if that meant pulling out a few titles.

In any case, I look forward to the final posting.

Tony, I mostly play Starcraft 2 on PC but I recently downloaded and started playing Age of Empires Online free to play after hearing good things about it in a podcast.

That said, my wife loves hidden object games. You should consider a bundle of them in the future. Big fish games had a Labor Day sale where all the IPad games were 99 cents each. I bought 10 of them for her. I can't promise I would buy a hidden object bundle soon because of the backlog my wife now has but if the deal is good enough I would buy some on the PC anyway.

Does amazon have any early childhood games?

Also, I second the suggestion on the deal for World of Goo or other Wii games. I haven't bought world of goo yet and I'm planning on getting it where I can find it cheap first, be it Wii, IPad, or someplace else.

[quote name='Blaster man']Tony, I mostly play Starcraft 2 on PC but I recently downloaded and started playing Age of Empires Online free to play after hearing good things about it in a podcast.

That said, my wife loves hidden object games. You should consider a bundle of them in the future. Big fish games had a Labor Day sale where all the IPad games were 99 cents each. I bought 10 of them for her. I can't promise I would buy a hidden object bundle soon because of the backlog my wife now has but if the deal is good enough I would buy some on the PC anyway.

Does amazon have any early childhood games?

Also, I second the suggestion on the deal for World of Goo or other Wii games. I haven't bought world of goo yet and I'm planning on getting it where I can find it cheap first, be it Wii, IPad, or someplace else.[/QUOTE]

I'm in the process of putting together the final deal post (round 1) for this thread but this post really struck a cord with me...the casual games business is a HUGE focus of mine and I've been trying to get more eyeballs on it for a while.

We've run all kinds of promotions around it and I can tell you that our holiday casual promotions are going to be awesome...I'd love to hear from you (and your wife about where you all think I should post THOSE deals!

Check out our casual store: Here we have tons of great prices on casual games (seek and find, hidden object, simulation, etc), no subscription costs, and you can try almost all of our games for 30 minutes for free.

Let me know what you think.

Cheers,
Tony

mj1984: If it enables me to buy games for a few bucks each, I honestly don't care that I can't re-sell them.

[quote name='Blaster man']
That said, my wife loves hidden object games. You should consider a bundle of them in the future.

[/QUOTE]

I second that I love hidden object games on pc.

Hey Tony, I'd definitely buy Sacred Gold at 70% off. I'd probably pick up Dark Fall: Lost Souls if it was $5. The JA2 bundle sounds good too.

Ok everyone after listening to all of your feedback, I've come back with the following deal of the week selection:

80% off bundles:

"Jagged Bundle": $3.99

Jagged Alliance 2: $2.99 individually
Jagged Alliance 2: Unfinished Business: $2.99 individually

Bundle 2 "War Games Bundle" - Price: $14.99

688I Hunter Killer: $5.99 individually
Dangerous Waters: $4.50 individually
Combat Mission: Beyond Overlord: $2.99 individually
Ubersoldier 2: $2.99 individually
Razor II: Hidden Skies: $2.99 individually
Death to Spies: $2.39 individually

Disciples II Gold Edition: $1.99 this is a single download that includes:

Dark Prophecy
Guardians of the Light
Servants of the Dark
Rise of the Elves
Plus 5 New Bonus Quests

Games I'd Like To Play Bundle (We'll probably call this Editor's Choice: $27.99

Ninja Blade 8.99 individually

Dark Fall: Lights Out - Director's Cut Edition 5.99 individually
Gods: Lands of Infinity: $5.99 individually

Puzzle Kingdoms 5.99 individually

Warrior Kings: Battles 5.99
Robin Hood: The Legend of Sherwood 2.99 individually

O.R.B. 2.99 individually
Port Royale 2 1.49 individually
D.W.A.R.F.S. 1.49 individually

Additional Individual Games Available a la carte for 70% off:

Emergency 3: $2.99
Flatout: Ultimate Carnage: $5.99
Death to Spies (mentioned above but specifically requested so i am listing again: $2.39)
Sacred Gold: $2.99

Like I said, I will be starting to actually put these bundles/deals in place tomorrow, so if you have any feedback please get it in to me between now and 2:00PM tomorrow afternoon. After that point I just won't be able to change stuff up anymore.

Also I wanted to note, and I wanted to wait until after I'd gotten a ton of feedback to mention, that I definitely didn't just toss a bunch of titles together haphazardly. I spent about 3 hours on Sunday researching metacritic/gamespot reviews on the 70+ titles we have from strategy first, as well as reading Amazon customer reviews of the titles and tried to put together a compelling bundle with a good mix of "this is a hidden gem" (JA, Flatout, etc) and "hmmm maybe I'll try that for super cheap" (Robin Hood, Port Royale, Ninja Blade).

I'm not mentioning this with any negative connotation at all, so please don't think that is the case. I genuinely respect all of your feedback and am obviously using it to develop the offerings I bring to you. What I want to make clear though is that I take this part of my job VERY seriously, and am dedicating a large amount of time to it. I'm trying to bring you stuff that I as a gamer would appreciate, and that you as deal hunters will love.

This thread was a huge learning experience for me, thank you all so much for taking time out of your busy lives, time you could be spent playing awesome games you've picked up recently, or anything other than helping me bring you what you want. I'll happily take and use your feedback, and can't tell you how much I appreciate how courteous and mature this community is!

Cheers,
Tony

[quote name='electricsleep']Hey Tony, I'd definitely buy Sacred Gold at 70% off. I'd probably pick up Dark Fall: Lost Souls if it was $5. The JA2 bundle sounds good too.[/QUOTE]

Added Sacred Gold to the 70% off list and Dark Fall is $5.99 individually or in the editor's choice bundle for $27.99.

Cheers,
Tony

Nicely done Tony,
I know not all of us are going to like these bundles and/or sales all of the time but it's nice to see that you are trying to get community input before you put them together. I think I am going to get in the Jagged bundle. Maybe we can see a Fallout 1 & 2 bundle in the future.

[quote name='bassec']You know Tony -- I just had what I thought was a great idea.

What about doing a complete 95% off or something stupid on a brand new hot title like what was done with Lady Gaga's new album for $.99 on release day? I can't tell you how many people jumped on that, posted on FB, etc.

Is that within your control...as most people (including myself until now) didn't realize Amazon even did digital distribution. Not to mention, there are usually cheaper/better integrated places to purchase unless by sheer price (Steam will usually get my money as most of my digital collection is already there).[/QUOTE]

There's a pretty gigantic difference between 90% off something that's $6 and 90% off something that's $50.

bread's done
Back