Amazon - Dragon Age: Origins 360/PS3 56.99 PC 46.99 + $10 Credit + Free Boots

ccohen322

CAGiversary!
Feedback
10 (100%)
Pre-order Bonus
Pre-order Dragon Age: Origins and get The Lion's Paw Boot's which adds to armor, dodge, and evading missiles, and $10 off a future video game purchase. Offer good while supplies last. Must be sold and shipped by Amazon.com to be eligible. Lion's Paw access codes will be sent within 10 days after the game releases. $10 promotional code will be placed directly into your Amazon.com account within 2 business days after the product ships. This offer will be extended to all existing pre-orders. Limit 1 per household. Amazon reserves the right to change or terminate this promotion at any time. $10 promotional code offer does not apply to the Collector's Edition.
Enjoy!

360/PS3/PC

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Qais']Does amazon charge your card right away or when the game is actually released?[/QUOTE]

I was just going to ask that exact question.

[quote name='bg2001']Not sure what kind of bad stuff you heard...can you elaborate?

360 games can be patched right? If not I would go with the PS3.[/QUOTE]

The only negatives I've heard about the 360 version is that it doesn't look as nice or run quite as well as the PC version, but that can be said about any PC/console game. If you have a PC that can run it, go with that. If you are buying on console, the 360 version is the safer bet, as I said. Yes, 360 games can be patched.

I only have a PS3 though, so I'm pre-ordering the PS3 version and abandoning ship if it turns out a mess. I learned from Modern Warfare 2 to not sit on these $10 off deals.

[quote name='Jerkapotamus']The only negatives I've heard about the 360 version is that it doesn't look as nice or run quite as well as the PC version, but that can be said about any PC/console game. If you have a PC that can run it, go with that. If you are buying on console, the 360 version is the safer bet, as I said. Yes, 360 games can be patched.

I only have a PS3 though, so I'm pre-ordering the PS3 version and abandoning ship if it turns out a mess. I learned from Modern Warfare 2 to not sit on these $10 off deals.[/QUOTE]

well I went for the PC version just for the offchance that the mod community really takes off...

some of that might make it to PS3 but microsoft would never let it happen for xbox at least not without getting some bucks off everyone first :)

Glad I checked out this thread as I had the CE preordered from amazon already but after learning that the Dlc I wanted stone prisoner is now in the regular edition too thanks to this thread, and that I can get another $10 game credit. I will be changing my preorder to the standard version and saving some loot. I checked EA's site and verified http://www.ea.com/news/bioware-dragon-age-origins-collectors-edition the only exclusive things in the CE now is the 3 items as someone else mentioned and the case, etc.

[quote name='Afflicted']well I went for the PC version just for the offchance that the mod community really takes off...

some of that might make it to PS3 but microsoft would never let it happen for xbox at least not without getting some bucks off everyone first :)[/QUOTE]

I don't think we'll see any games with mod support on the PS3 in the future. Unreal Tournament 3 was the only game that has supported it. It's a shame the game didn't sell well; more developers might have followed suit if it had. I wish Sony would make it an initiative, since mod-support would really be a huge differentiator between the PS3 and 360.

Is there time to cancel after the reviews come in if I change my mind and don't want it? Or want to switch from the PC version to a console version?

I never know whether to pick console or PC. I was assuming PC since I have a decent system, but maybe it's no longer decent. 4gb RAM, 8800GT Nvidia card, 3.0 ghz Athlon X2 dual core...? You just never know tho.

When your item goes into shipping soon, you can't cancel, you can only return the item at that point. Maybe calling in could get it canceled, I guess.

Depends how fast the reviews start popping up too, batman was pretty early at most places and ign reviewed uncharted like a whole month early. They also reviewed Odst only 3 days before release. I'm not sure what the average is for most places though.

[quote name='ponn01']They made the CE edition of this pretty worthless since they are now offering the DLC from the CE free packed in with the regular editions of the game as well now. That includes the new Stone Prisoner level and the Blood Dragon armor for use in DA and Mass Effect 2. Had already preordered the regular edition with the ECA discount but this 10 GC is awesome on top of that. All these 10 GC i'm getting from these games in Oct and Nov will pay for my copy of Mass Effect 2.[/QUOTE]
No steel case, cloth map, and digital soundtrack

I've preordered both CE and regular version for PS3. The later release date lets me see how things shakeout review and price/content wise. Hopefully, the $10 credit will be added to the CE or made cheaper / have more content (doubtful). Either way, one of them will be canceled. Or both.

Nice! Will be using $10 credit I get from pre-ordering Brutal Legend and ECA which should make the PC version around $30-$32.

2 Questions:
1) If I pre-order a game that gives a $10 credit (Dragon Age), and i use a $10 credit from a previous pre-order (Brutal Legend), will I still be eligible to receive that $10 credit (Dragon Age)?

2) Does the 10% ECA discount take from the original price, or the sale price? (10% off $46.99 or 10% off 49.99?)

1) Yes

2) Sale price. If amazon is LISTING the game at 46.99(with 49.99 marked out) then you get 4.70 off, not 5.00. However, goldbox discounts do not change the eca discount, neither do lightning deals.

[quote name='Vortextk']1) Yes

2) Sale price. If amazon is LISTING the game at 46.99(with 49.99 marked out) then you get 4.70 off, not 5.00. However, goldbox discounts do not change the eca discount, neither do lightning deals.[/QUOTE]

Oh sweet, thanks for the answers. I'm not too good at the whole getting a game in the gold box thing. I've read that thread 3-4 times and it still doesn't make any sense how one can "aim" a game for the gold box. Oh well, $32.39 is still a good price on a brand new just released game.

I don't think dragon age has been showing up there anyway.

My biggest tips for getting something in your gold box
-Trim your recommendations down
-Check that it CAN appear(check first post of jodou's faq)
-Aim for it with pre-orders

Before I did some fake pre-orders, I really never saw anything in there, quite a different story afterwards. And yeah I don't see dragon age listed for either console or pc as to someone commenting they've got it in their quick picks so I wouldn't worry about this one.

[quote name='Jesse_Dylan'] I never know whether to pick console or PC. I was assuming PC since I have a decent system, but maybe it's no longer decent. 4gb RAM, 8800GT Nvidia card, 3.0 ghz Athlon X2 dual core...? You just never know tho.[/QUOTE]

I am in a similar situation. I have a Core 2 Quad @ 2.4 GHz, 3 GB RAM and an Nvidia 8800GT running Vista. The CPU meets the recommended requirements but I'm a little short on RAM and the video card. Would love a demo before the ship date but I doubt that's gonna happen.

Went ahead and pre-ordered the Normal PC Version.

Im normally a sucker for CE editions - but with the Stone Prisoner avaliable to all versions and the $23 diff counting the promo - its just not worth it for me anymore imo. Maybe if the CE had a figure or something else cool. I have way too many cloth maps sitting in way too many CE boxes as it is.. :lol:

Quick an easy math says the CE is $27 more than the regular edition ($74 - $57 - $10).

Lot of in game bonus content for this game. Bergen's Honor (Helmet), Grimoire of the Frozen Wates (Book), Final Reason (Staff), "The Stone Prisoner" unlockable bonus quest, and an unlockable character named Shale.

That's a lot of bonus content especially if it stays exclusive.

[quote name='Jesse_Dylan']I never know whether to pick console or PC. I was assuming PC since I have a decent system, but maybe it's no longer decent. 4gb RAM, 8800GT Nvidia card, 3.0 ghz Athlon X2 dual core...? You just never know tho.[/QUOTE]

PC according to this (from another CAG thread)

Here are some impressions from someone on a forum I frequent who had an opportunity to play/see in action the PC and 360 versions at GenCon:

Impressions:
As I mentioned in my quick blurb earlier, this game screams "Baldurs' Gate" to me, at least in its PC incarnation (see Xbox comments below). When zoomed out, it is extremely similar to the BG games. Circle indicators around all party members an enemies, quickbar icons for spells, pause and give orders, etc. I tried to capture some of this in my gameplay videos today, but unfortunately I'm at the mercy of other players to provide me good footage. I'll try to capture more of this tomorrow. The mouse wheel can zoom into a 3rd person action view that is MMOish in feel, and you can transition between the two easily.

The various UI screens are all very clean and user friendly. I intend on spending some quality time with the inventory screen in particular tomorrow, to see if Bioware has learned their lessons from Mass Effect. When making a character (limited selection in this demo) you can pick starting spells, and spells get better based on experience (various ranks, or you could spend choose to take new powers). You can customize the AI behavior with presets or setup conditional rules. (ie- specify that when health reaches 25%, use this spell).

Performance on the machines they had there (Core 2 duo, unknown speed, 8800GT) was great and running flawlessly at 1920x1080.

Xbox version:
I didn't play this yet, but watched some of it being played. There is NO zoomed out mode on the Xbox, and you have to play it in 3rd person action view. A Bioware developer informed me that this was removed from the game for performance reasons and because it was hard to control on a controller. You are limited to 6 preset quickslot items (3 shown at a time, right bumper acts as a "shift"), but you can change these on the fly. You can also assign skills to different "layouts" that can be toggled (for example using a different weapon.) Performance on the Xbox version was decent, but paled in comparison to the PC version 6 feet away. What struck me when viewing the two games is how different they feel. They managed to make the same game appear very tactical and deliberate (BG feel) on the PC and very action focused (MMO feel) on the Xbox. I don't know if this is necessarily a bad thing considering the different audiences of the platforms, but past PC enthusiasts who have adopted an Xbox only position may find this concerning. Still, you are able to pause and give orders, so you are not stuck playing it only as an action game.

Level editor:
I got a 5 minute level editor demo that allowed me to barrage questions. I'm not sure how much of this is already known, as I haven't been following the editor development at all. In random order:
- 3d models can't be imported into the game (as of yet, but maybe!) but you can bring in your own textures.
- Terrain modeling looks very rich and allows complete customization of position/rotation in 3d space.
- Scripting is handled in a C based language that appears to be quite powerful, allowing event delegates and some amount of OO coding.

Other random facts:
- After the "Origin" portion of the game (unique for each class), the game converges into the main area that is nonlinear. I specifically asked how this compared to BG2's Amn nonlinearity, and was told it would be similar. That is, there is a main quest line that is fairly linear with a great amount of sidequests branching off.
- Ship date for the game is 11/3, with PS3 version "about 2 weeks later". PC version is completely done already. Xbox version being tweaked.

Based on his impressions, the PC version is much more appealing to me, so I pre-ordered the CE from Amazon.

[quote name='paddlefoot']Quick an easy math says the CE is $27 more than the regular edition ($74 - $57 - $10).

Lot of in game bonus content for this game. Bergen's Honor (Helmet), Grimoire of the Frozen Wates (Book), Final Reason (Staff), "The Stone Prisoner" unlockable bonus quest, and an unlockable character named Shale.

That's a lot of bonus content especially if it stays exclusive.[/QUOTE]

The StonePrisoner/Shale is the same thing and all versions - Normal and CE get it.

I question the value of the digital items. I honestly have not checked into it nor am i sure anyone would know - but most of the time - these pack-in items are good for ether the first few hours of play if that and they go into your bank forever - or have some non-combat visual appeal. Someone correct me if the truth of those is known already...

Id put more weight on if you like the Physical items in the CE box. If you dont - you should look into the all digital CE version from other sites like D2D - which comes with the Warden DLC in addition to the Stone DLC... If your going PC anyways which i dont think you are going by the prices you quoted.

[quote name='eastx']Hmm, I wonder when Steam will start offering Dragon Age for preorder...[/QUOTE]

Me and my roommate have been wondering this as well. I don't think EA would release it on Steam on release day. There have only been a couple of games from EA that were released on Steam the same day it was on sale in stores (Mirror's Edge and Spore: Galactic Adventures). Everything else was released about a month after retail release.

At the same time, Impulse already has Dragon Age up for preorder so it wouldn't make sense that they would have it and Steam wouldn't. We'll see.

[quote name='eastx']Hmm, I wonder when Steam will start offering Dragon Age for preorder...[/QUOTE]

I think the real question is when will Steam make is 50% off?

[quote name='wynams']PC according to this (from another CAG thread)

Here are some impressions from someone on a forum I frequent who had an opportunity to play/see in action the PC and 360 versions at GenCon:

Impressions:
As I mentioned in my quick blurb earlier, this game screams "Baldurs' Gate" to me, at least in its PC incarnation (see Xbox comments below). When zoomed out, it is extremely similar to the BG games. Circle indicators around all party members an enemies, quickbar icons for spells, pause and give orders, etc. I tried to capture some of this in my gameplay videos today, but unfortunately I'm at the mercy of other players to provide me good footage. I'll try to capture more of this tomorrow. The mouse wheel can zoom into a 3rd person action view that is MMOish in feel, and you can transition between the two easily.

The various UI screens are all very clean and user friendly. I intend on spending some quality time with the inventory screen in particular tomorrow, to see if Bioware has learned their lessons from Mass Effect. When making a character (limited selection in this demo) you can pick starting spells, and spells get better based on experience (various ranks, or you could spend choose to take new powers). You can customize the AI behavior with presets or setup conditional rules. (ie- specify that when health reaches 25%, use this spell).

Performance on the machines they had there (Core 2 duo, unknown speed, 8800GT) was great and running flawlessly at 1920x1080.

Xbox version:
I didn't play this yet, but watched some of it being played. There is NO zoomed out mode on the Xbox, and you have to play it in 3rd person action view. A Bioware developer informed me that this was removed from the game for performance reasons and because it was hard to control on a controller. You are limited to 6 preset quickslot items (3 shown at a time, right bumper acts as a "shift"), but you can change these on the fly. You can also assign skills to different "layouts" that can be toggled (for example using a different weapon.) Performance on the Xbox version was decent, but paled in comparison to the PC version 6 feet away. What struck me when viewing the two games is how different they feel. They managed to make the same game appear very tactical and deliberate (BG feel) on the PC and very action focused (MMO feel) on the Xbox. I don't know if this is necessarily a bad thing considering the different audiences of the platforms, but past PC enthusiasts who have adopted an Xbox only position may find this concerning. Still, you are able to pause and give orders, so you are not stuck playing it only as an action game.

Level editor:
I got a 5 minute level editor demo that allowed me to barrage questions. I'm not sure how much of this is already known, as I haven't been following the editor development at all. In random order:
- 3d models can't be imported into the game (as of yet, but maybe!) but you can bring in your own textures.
- Terrain modeling looks very rich and allows complete customization of position/rotation in 3d space.
- Scripting is handled in a C based language that appears to be quite powerful, allowing event delegates and some amount of OO coding.

Other random facts:
- After the "Origin" portion of the game (unique for each class), the game converges into the main area that is nonlinear. I specifically asked how this compared to BG2's Amn nonlinearity, and was told it would be similar. That is, there is a main quest line that is fairly linear with a great amount of sidequests branching off.
- Ship date for the game is 11/3, with PS3 version "about 2 weeks later". PC version is completely done already. Xbox version being tweaked.

Based on his impressions, the PC version is much more appealing to me, so I pre-ordered the CE from Amazon.[/QUOTE]

LOVED the baldur's gate series. I have been waiting for this game for a long time.

I really dig gaming on my 360 however. Has anyone had any hands on time with the 360 version and can comment on how the game feels when pausing and changing your parties actions? I am really concerned that the 360 version is going to feel more like mass effect than the strategic perfection that was BG.

Also, does anyone know what the DRM is like for the PC version?

Anyone know if I got a $10 credit from another game if I can get the credit for this game as well?

It says "Limit 1 per household". that is why I was wondering.

[quote name='Qwertykeys']Anyone know if I got a $10 credit from another game if I can get the credit for this game as well?

It says "Limit 1 per household". that is why I was wondering.[/QUOTE]
The limit is if you buy multiple copies of Dragon Age. You'll only get $10 credit. You can get the $5/$10 credit from each game that offers it.

bread's done
Back