AMAZON/EBAY BUYERS BEWARE: PieceofMindMedia / NorAm selling YOUR used games as "NEW"

[quote name='rk0900']Any tips on spotting resealed PS3 games? Amazon merchants are the cheapest prices I can find for a few PS3 games, but now I'm a bit weary of buying from any of them.[/QUOTE]Good question.

I may have need for this info, as I picked up Eternal Sonata for the PS3 from Hastings via their Amazon merchant account GoHastings. Supposed to be new, though we'll see when it shows up.

NorAm seems to magically taken off most of their new listings and moved them to used or just removed them entirely. For example, their "new" copies of Fable II are now used and their copies of Ico are not longer listed as being available. I'm sure it's more than just a coincidence after this thread was made. :roll:

[quote name='Rozz']NorAm seems to magically taken off most of their new listings and moved them to used or just removed them entirely. For example, their "new" copies of Fable II are now used and their copies of Ico are not longer listed as being available. I'm sure it's more than just a coincidence after this thread was made. :roll:[/QUOTE]

If that's true that is a very smart corporate move.

Also, does anyone have experience with Amazon merchant "Katt30". Merchant has 99% feedback, but I'm still weary.

The comment under LittleBigplanet says that it is "brand-new /factory sealed by sony/u.s.a. version-not an import/just like in retail stores/-100% guarantee"

But then for Resistance 2 it says it is "brand-new /just like in retail stores/all u.p.c.-numbers match-100% guaranteed"

I realize it could definitely be nothing but since "factory sealed by sony" was included in one but excluded from the other made me wonder.

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']Well, I don't know you, so it's still all good. And seriously, a statement like that...don't make it. If you honestly want anyone to believe you haven't read a word in a manual "in year"...you're smoking something...and I want some.[/QUOTE]

Outside of the front cover of the manual (to make sure the title on the manual was the same as the used game being purchased), I haven't read through a manual in years either, since the playstation 1 days. I usually, unless a game doesn't have it, manually set up my controller layout to benefit my personal playstyle.

@rk0900 - I do not know why they would specify one as being factory sealed by sony and the other is not.. unless they are referring to "gamestop" new and it was previously gutted. I find it less strange that they specify factory sealed than the fact that they did not specify "USA release" as they did before.

That could simply be because there were a lot of cheap PAL copies of LBP being sold recently (some in a thread here on CAG) and they want to be clear that it is the US version. That is less of an issue with Resistance 2 I suppose.

rk0900 - I think you are overanalyzing their listing a bit too much. I don't know anything about them but finding discrepancies on their subtitles doesn't necessarily mean much. I'm not sure how Amazon works but I know on eBay subtitles you have very limited text and sometimes it is more important to say one thing for one game (like the US version on LBP) than on others so my listings might be similarly "inconsistent" and it never occured to me people might interpret that as me hiding something :lol:. I don't know if Amazon is the same way though with the character restrictions.

^^ Yeah, I agree it's probably nothing, but I'm a bit paranoid since reading this thread about NorAm ( which I probably would have bought from if I hadn't read this ). I found some feedbacks on a few of the other cheapest merchants stating resealed games. Katt30 didn't have any I could find, but now after finding other merchants doing the same, I'm wondering if most ( if not all ) of the cheapest merchants are doing it and that's how they keep their prices the lowest.

As a general rule, I limit my purchases to marketplace sellers that are fulfilled by amazon. Through this frame of logic, I recently stumbled upon pieceofmindmedia and have bought quite a few "like new" games from them.

Out of 11 purchases I have had very few but heart-breaking problems. The 1st one was with Thousand Arms for the PS1, listed like new but missing all of the bonus content. Forgiveable, because of the price and the great condition in which everything else arrived. The 2nd one was with Alundra for the PS1 which, even thought it was listed like new, arrived with quite a few scratches on the case. I let it pass, because everything else was like new. Then Grandia arrived, and that's when the proverbial shit hitted the fan. The case, the 1st disc and the manual looked fantastic. But instead of the 2nd disc, they sent Gauntlet Legends for the Dreamcast. OMGWTF! I didn't made an scandal out of it, because Amazon refunded my purchase as swift as the wrath of god. I was very dissapointed with Pieceofmindmedia...but forgave them when I saw them selling Valkyrie Profile for the Ps1, Tactics Ogre for the ps1, Bangai-O for the Dreamcast, both Etriand Odysseys and Secret of Mana for the Snes.

After reading this thread, I'm a little worried that they may mix up my orders or my games, yet again, but feel relieved to know that Amazon has my back if anything wrong happens. Stil, I wish I could have found this thread around the time pieceofmindmedia sent me Rez for the PS2 "shrinkwrapped". That game felt resealed, even thought everything about it look and felt like new. Including the inner ring of the disc.

You shouldn't limit your purchase fulfilled by amazon. I would much rather buy something for someone's collection instead of a resller.

[quote name='62t']You shouldn't limit your purchase fulfilled by amazon. I would much rather buy something for someone's collection instead of a resller.[/QUOTE]

Yep, your items are guaranteed no matter who you purchase from on Amazon Marketplace.

I wish you the best of lucks. Because I recently received a game from pieceofmindmedia/Noram that was branded and priced "like new", and it was missing the instruction booklet, as well as having a refurbished disc case. I ordered the thing before finding this thread, so I really had no warning outisde of the common sense of not buying from resellers. Now, to be fair, out of 12 ordered games, pieceofmindmedia/Noram kind of screwed 2. The unplayable Grandia game that arrived without the 2nd disc, and now this expensive game listed like new that arrived without the instruction booklet. So, really, is a matter of luck and I hope your order doesn´t become one more casualty.

Just looking at my purchase (haven't received it yet), and considering this seller has multiple names, I'm assuming pieceofmindbooks is also the same seller as pieceofmindmedia. I thought I'd clarify just in case.

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']I don't know anyone who doesn't at least check out the first page or two for the rundown of the controller layout.[/QUOTE]

I dont look at manuals either. Games controls are usually fairly instinctive or you can pick it up in game...

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']You are 100% correct. They are the third-party in the TRU system. Let's starting putting notes into games we trade to TRU, as well.[/QUOTE]

Not that I doubt you, but how do you know Gamers Factory is the TRU 3rd party?

[quote name='Arakias']

Not that I doubt you, but how do you know Gamers Factory is the TRU 3rd party?[/QUOTE]

It had been mentioned in a different thread by a TRU employee that they shipped their used games to Gamers Factory, by way of prepaid shipping labels.

[quote name='hiromano']Just looking at my purchase (haven't received it yet), and considering this seller has multiple names, I'm assuming pieceofmindbooks is also the same seller as pieceofmindmedia. I thought I'd clarify just in case.[/QUOTE]

Yup those 2 names = NorAm

Hmm...ordered a new Valkyria Chronicles from these guys since Walmarts in my area were sold out. Should arrive today or tomorrow. Will report back on condition.

[quote name='jcarlon']Hmm...ordered a new Valkyria Chronicles from these guys since Walmarts in my area were sold out. Should arrive today or tomorrow. Will report back on condition.[/QUOTE]

I also sent my credit card information to nigerian scammers to win their lottery because my local gas station was out of scratch offs. Guess we both didn't listen to widespread advice.

[quote name='Cmosfm']I also sent my credit card information to nigerian scammers to win their lottery because my local gas station was out of scratch offs. Guess we both didn't listen to widespread advice.[/QUOTE]

Yeah unfortunately didn't find out about this thread until too late. Obviously wouldn't have taken the risk had I known.

[quote name='jcarlon']Yeah unfortunately didn't find out about this thread until too late. Obviously wouldn't have taken the risk had I known.[/QUOTE]

Ahh, that makes sense. :) Sorry then, and honestly I hope you don't get screwed. If so, be sure and file an Amazon claim.

I find it interesting that they had no new copies of One Piece: Unlimited Adventure (Wii) for sale until AFTER they did the $30 trade in promotion. Now, they apparently have new copies of the game all of a sudden! So either they took the best condition used ones they received, resealed them, and listed them as new, or they magically found a stash of new copies somewhere. And to top it off, they drove down the new price of the game by listing these "new" copies for $15 less than the legitimate new copies. fuck them!

[quote name='Perfect*Ending']Does PieceofMindMedia sell any legit new games?

I see their listings on Amazon as "new" but doesn't describe it well.[/QUOTE]
that guy michael "claim" that they do. no evidence, not gonna believe it

[quote name='Josef']I find it interesting that they had no new copies of One Piece: Unlimited Adventure (Wii) for sale until AFTER they did the $30 trade in promotion. Now, they apparently have new copies of the game all of a sudden! So either they took the best condition used ones they received, resealed them, and listed them as new, or they magically found a stash of new copies somewhere. And to top it off, they drove down the new price of the game by listing these "new" copies for $15 less than the legitimate new copies. fuck them![/QUOTE]cags sends games to them for a legitimate trade, they scam people into thinking they're new.

they probably bought 'SCAM IN A BOX' and have been following it religiously. either that or they have a 'SCAMMING FOR DUMMIES' book. of course amazon sold that to them :dunce:

I don't see any reason for NorAm to change. The profit is too much to sell it as new instead of used. They will just keep giving the small percent of people a refund.

[quote name='Josef']I find it interesting that they had no new copies of One Piece: Unlimited Adventure (Wii) for sale until AFTER they did the $30 trade in promotion. Now, they apparently have new copies of the game all of a sudden! So either they took the best condition used ones they received, resealed them, and listed them as new, or they magically found a stash of new copies somewhere. And to top it off, they drove down the new price of the game by listing these "new" copies for $15 less than the legitimate new copies. fuck them![/QUOTE]

Exact thing happened with Endless Ocean. They totally ruined the NEW value for the title.

[quote name='62t']I don't see any reason for NorAm to change. The profit is too much to sell it as new instead of used. They will just keep giving the small percent of people a refund.[/QUOTE]

They sell so many things a day, they can afford the risk of scamming the few higher priced items.

Got my Valkyria Chronicles yesterday and it appears to be new. No signs of being re-shrink wrapped as the wrapping looked exactly the same as it does on any new PS3 game. And the instructions and CD were spotless.

This ran me $32 bucks on Ebay (only after Bing Cashback), thus it wasn't a hugely discounted price. Maybe thats why it was actually new?

Either way, happy with the purchase, but will still be wary to buy again after all the advice in this thread.

had to rebuy resident evil 5 because this retard that was staying with me put it in the 360 wrong and it ate it (was also starting to disc rot but still worked) and went through them, got it for 15 new plus $2 shipping. game came in still factory sealed. i would order through them again. then again even if it wasnt factory sealed as long as the game was clean/scratch free and at a good price i dont honestly care.

[quote name='jcarlon']Got my Valkyria Chronicles yesterday and it appears to be new. No signs of being re-shrink wrapped as the wrapping looked exactly the same as it does on any new PS3 game. And the instructions and CD were spotless.

This ran me $32 bucks on Ebay (only after Bing Cashback), thus it wasn't a hugely discounted price. Maybe thats why it was actually new?
[/QUOTE]

Actually, quite the opposite. Wal-mart was tossing these out at 19.96 (and every other price-matching store). That's probably why it was *actually* new.

Here's one of their feedbacks for today:

"Item was obviously a rewrapped used game, with scratches and gunk on the game case underneath the shrink wrap. Thanks for lying, you won't be receiving my business anymore."

[quote name='Rozz']Here's one of their feedbacks for today:

"Item was obviously a rewrapped used game, with scratches and gunk on the game case underneath the shrink wrap. Thanks for lying, you won't be receiving my business anymore."[/QUOTE]
its funny that a company representative, in this case one of the owners, would try to tell you that they are legit and they are doing their best to society and trying to prove you otherwise when the evidence is right here.

Last edited by a moderator:
I bought X men Origins Wolverine for the 360 from them and it arrived yesterday. it was supposed to be used but arrived in shrink wrap with the security sticker still applied so i cant say my expireince with pieceofmindmedia was bad, in fact it was better then expected getting a sealed new game instead of the used one i was expecting.

Wow, this is definitely low. They are taking the trades in, so they know the games are used. It's not like they are getting a bad shipment from a supplier. And I like excuse from the "rep," that they wrap the games for protection but that it caused some confusion. Yeah, ok.

[quote name='johnmirra']I bought X men Origins Wolverine for the 360 from them and it arrived yesterday. it was supposed to be used but arrived in shrink wrap with the security sticker still applied so i cant say my expireince with pieceofmindmedia was bad, in fact it was better then expected getting a sealed new game instead of the used one i was expecting.[/QUOTE]
its not a new game. it was used at one point and they resealed them. they probably wanted to sell them new because they can sell them for more than what they can sell them as used. so they probably gave you a used game that was resealed.

i have seen security stickers on certain games. thats not including the authentic seal that microsoft puts on all their games. EA actually have been putting them on madden and other sports games in this generation. rockband beatles for the wii also have a security sticker at the bottom but outside of it where the folds meet is an EA stamp. they also had them on games like the godfather backhand edition.

[IMG-L=4661]9370[/IMG-L]

i really wish that companies like sony and nintendo would do something similar to what EA has done. the stamp authenticates that it is indeed a factory seal game. does anyone remember the awesome PS1 and PS2 seals? i wish they'd do something like that for games. why wouldnt that make sense to them. instead of putting them on $9.99 Blu Ray movies, why not put them in $59.99 video games.

Last edited by a moderator:
You guys are going to get a kick out of one of their negatives for today:

"I ordered a game that was described as new by this seller. When I got it, not only was it obvious that the seller used his own shrink wrap on the box, but the wrong game disc was placed inside (which further confirmed it was not new). So not only did I not receive the game I ordered, I was also lied to about its condition. 1 out of 5".

Also, this:

" "The game was announced as brand new but it looks like the dvd was resurfaced or polished to remove scratches but the machine left some concentrical marks over the surface. The box, inserts and book appeared to be new but one of the book holders was broken. Despite all this I'm going to keep the game since I'm overseas now and the game works fine so far. Next time I will avoid seller."

[quote name='Rozz']You guys are going to get a kick out of one of their negatives for today:

"I ordered a game that was described as new by this seller. When I got it, not only was it obvious that the seller used his own shrink wrap on the box, but the wrong game disc was placed inside (which further confirmed it was not new). So not only did I not receive the game I ordered, I was also lied to about its condition. 1 out of 5".

Also, this:

" "The game was announced as brand new but it looks like the dvd was resurfaced or polished to remove scratches but the machine left some concentrical marks over the surface. The box, inserts and book appeared to be new but one of the book holders was broken. Despite all this I'm going to keep the game since I'm overseas now and the game works fine so far. Next time I will avoid seller."[/QUOTE]
nothing is funnier than RESEALING A GAME AND HAVING THE WRONG DISC INSIDE!!!! :applause::applause::applause::applause::applause:

the second feedback is really sad.. very unfair.

No wonder I got boned on both of my Amazon trade ins. NorAm is worse than I thought. When is Amazon finally gonna drop these douchebags for a new merchant?

Wow... I bought from them before. I might not have had I known about them resealing used games as new, even though both items I bought from them were correctly listed as used.

And I didn't know about Toolhaus, that will come in handy on future buys.

i brought bioshock as "new" and it was obviously a resealed since the plastic wrap was melted into my case. that never happens to new sealed games from retail. i was able to get a partial refund rather than waste money shipping it back.

My Gears of War from peaceofmindmedia was obviously resealed.

I also bought Tales of Legendia "new" from goHastings through Amazon and it was the worst shrink-wrapping job I've ever seen, all loose and baggy.

It sucks that a car dealership that rolls back miles would get slapped with some sort of penalty, but these merchants and even Gamestop can just sell used games as new.

bread's done
Back