Amazon: Eternal Sonata (360) $16.99

heyheyhey11

CAGiversary!
I got it cheap at CC when they put it on clearance. And I love the first few hrs that I played. Then I suddenly gave it up for time being.

I can't provide link now cuz I'm mobile on my iPhone. But wanted to help fellow cags whose into japrpg.

I just hope now tale of vesperia would drop in price so I can play a few hours and forget it also

http://www.amazon.com/Eternal-Sonat..._1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1238779209&sr=8-1

Last edited by a moderator:
I picked this up yesterday, didn't think it was worth posting (not having a pop at you OP). I only got it cos I keep not buying this when it's cheap then regretting it.

CamelCamelCamel says it's the lowest it's ever been. If I had a job I'd bite, I really want this game (what am I doing on a deal forum w/out a job!)

[quote name='GrilledWitOnions']CamelCamelCamel says it's the lowest it's ever been. If I had a job I'd bite, I really want this game (what am I doing on a deal forum w/out a job!)[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I'm in the same boat right now. All these deals are just teases right now, but I can't help but look at them!

this game was pretty disappointing. it's just a long pattern of town -> dungeon -> town, and without a good story, it feels very repetitive.

[quote name='Camwi']Yeah, I'm in the same boat right now. All these deals are just teases right now, but I can't help but look at them![/quote]
It doesn't help that my g/f just bought us a 360. Luckily I got in on some good 360 games when I saw them cheap before, and I've got a few xbox game I can play.

[quote name='United_Korea']this game was pretty disappointing. it's just a long pattern of town -> dungeon -> town, and without a good story, it feels very repetitive.
iy.gif
[/quote]
Yeah, I hate repetitive games and this certainly fits the description of repetitive.

[quote name='United_Korea']this game was pretty disappointing. it's just a long pattern of town -> dungeon -> town, and without a good story, it feels very repetitive.[/QUOTE]

You've never played a JRPG before, have you? That description fits probably 90% of all JRPGs. Thanks for the heads up, OP.

Most games have a certain repetition to them, I dont think that its the cycle that you dont like, its the way it is conducted. Oh well, to each his own..
pixel.gif

I like quite a few JRPGs, loved Lost Odyssey. I played this probably 7 hours or so and tried my hardest to get into it, but gave up.

[quote name='sonnyforple']I like quite a few JRPGs, loved Lost Odyssey. I played this probably 7 hours or so and tried my hardest to get into it, but gave up.[/quote]

Almost exact same thing for me. Like JRPGs, love Lost Odyssey, but couldn't get myself to like Eternal Sonata.

I actually played through this a few weeks ago. I was expecting something great, but the story just never really seems to go anywhere. Combat is kind of fun, but Vesperia is waaaay better overall.

I added this to my cart at this price a few days ago. I'm not sure it's worth it for me though. I rented this game quite awhile ago and played through most of it already.

[quote name='United_Korea']this game was pretty disappointing. it's just a long pattern of town -> dungeon -> town, and without a good story, it feels very repetitive.[/quote]

:applause: OH Good for you!!!

You just described every RPG and MMO in the market. You must feel so proud.

I liked Eternal Sonata. I still think it's one of the prettiest looking games I've put in my Xbox. $20 is a good buy if you like JRPGs.

I only played the demo of this and I loved that. Sorta wary now that so many said it fell flat. I thought the art looked great and the combat was intriguing. Can't buy it now anyway :p

This game has one of the most bizarre plot lines of any game every made. I initially had trouble getting into it because of the "childish" look of the game (it was the first JRPG I had played in years) but, after giving it sometime, it really grew on me. The game play mechanics like combat are generally good and overcome some of its other shortcomings (lack of variety in monsters with same models used over and over, no change in character appearance equipping new items, etc).

This game is also VERY stingy when it comes to achievements for those who care about that sort of thing.

I recommend it but only for those patient enough to give it time to grow on you. I commend the game for being very original and taking unusual content like the life of an 19th century Polish composer as its subject.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's a fun, very interesting game.

Slight Spoilers:

They have these sort of cut scenes that are like history lessons accompanied with some of Chopin most beautiful music.
It's definitely a beautiful and fun game.

My only quarrel is that I feel it may have been better off with a Zelda type action combat system rather than the sort of lame 'action turn-based' combat they use. But of course I feel that way about many JRPG's.

[quote name='GrilledWitOnions']I only played the demo of this and I loved that. Sorta wary now that so many said it fell flat. I thought the art looked great and the combat was intriguing. Can't buy it now anyway :p[/quote]

While the assertion that Eternal Sonata is repetitive was a bit dumb (like was said, they just described every JRPG, and most games in general), especially when far and away the most praised JRPGs of the past two years have been Persona 3 and Persona 4, two games that don't even try to vary its gameplay over the course of 90 hours, I have to concur with those that weren't grabbed by Eternal Sonata after about 10 hours (though I plan to finish it because I like to finish games).

That being said, it's a quality game, everything about it at least average for the genre, and if you really want to play a new JRPG, you're way better off spending $20 on this than putting it towards a turd like Star Ocean 4, which I feel is below average for the genre in just about every category. Do, however, play Tales of Vesperia if you haven't as it is easily far and away the best JRPG so far this gen (on the 360 anyway). Lost Odyssey is a safe bet for a distant second, although I vastly prefer the gameplay of Blue Dragon.

Great JRPG with some interesting information worked in. Well worth $20.

PS3 version has extras and is only 8 months old, so I don't expect it to drop to $20 yet. When it does, I'll probably pick it up for the extra content.

i lost all interest in this game when i found out i made a HUGE mistake by NOT taking a certain picture during battle....that's when i knew this game wasn't for me

[quote name='Z_meista']no ps3? oh well..[/quote]

I'm expecting that version to hit this price as well before too long, and I will bite on it in when that happens.

[quote name='Link127']me too. i actually prefer to buy the :ps3: version for the extra stuff[/quote]

Yeah. I mean I just picked up Alone in the Dark Inferno, I was so close buying Ninja Gaiden 2 before Sigma 2 was announced, and now the situation with Tales of Vesperia...I think I'll sit on Star Ocean 4 for a while, too.

[quote name='EXStrike']$20 is about what this game is worth. Star Ocean 4 and The Last Remnant are better RPGs, though.[/quote]

I completely disagree about Star Ocean. Though I finished it, I certainly didn't enjoy it.

[quote name='wildnuts02']i lost all interest in this game when i found out i made a HUGE mistake by NOT taking a certain picture during battle....that's when i knew this game wasn't for me[/quote]

I only took a picture of the first boss and don't typically keep Beat in the party. Is this an OCD/achievement sort of huge mistake or something that actually matters?

I don't know why anybody wouldn't buy the version of a game that had the extra stuff.

Another problem with this game, although small, is the length.
I'm guess several of you will beat it in 20 hours.
Which it seems that many people felt was too long.
Just don't expect Persona 4 length.

[quote name='sliknik27']Now $16.99.[/QUOTE] ... and sold! Thanks for the update, sliknik.

Good price, but I'm still waiting for the PS3 version to drop in price since I prefer to use it instead of my 360.

bread's done
Back