Amazon Fire TV and Game Controller available right now $99/$39

A simple and short example on the Plex discussion for those unfamiliar.

For cable cutting you can a tuner card for your PC(with one or two tuners), or get a TiVo(with 4 tuners), and then a program on your PC that will automatically convert your tivo recorded shows into a selected format stored on your PC, then you can uses roku and plex in every room to view that recorded show on every TV.

TiVo is more expensive than a tuner card but less hassle. I've done both, too many issues can cause hiccups in tuner card system(ever had a issue with a PC?) and unless everyone in the house is a techxpert, you'll get headaches.

Last edited by a moderator:
A simple and short example on the Plex discussion for those unfamiliar.

For cable cutting you can a tuner card for your PC(with one or two tuners), or get a TiVo(with 4 tuners), and then a program on your PC that will automatically convert your tivo recorded shows into a selected format stored on your PC, then you can uses roku and plex in every room to view that recorded show on every TV.

TiVo is more expensive than a tuner card but less hassle. I've done both, too many issues can cause hiccups in tuner card system(ever had a issue with a PC?) and unless everyone in the house is a techxpert, you'll get headaches.
If I want OTA broadcasts I could just use an antenna...

So all games/apps u downloaded on the Kindle Fire marketplace that work on the Fire TV are free to RE-download on the Fire TV?

A little late posting this. Might explain the HBO GO app omission. Amazon to stream original HBO content:

Amazon will stream a selection of HBO series, mini-series and original movies as part of its Prime subscription service, the latest alliance between technology and entertainment companies trying to capture viewers who are moving online.

Beginning May 21, Amazon Prime members will have access to older HBO shows like “The Sopranos” and “The Wire,” and mini-series like “Band of Brothers” and “Angels in America.” Some seasons of current series, like “True Blood,” will also be available.
Source

Full List:

Boardwalk Empire
Bored to Death
Eastbound & Down
Enlightened
Treme
True Blood
Band of Brothers
Big Love
Carnivàle
Deadwood
Flight of the Conchords
In Treatment
Mildred Pierce
Oz
The Pacific
Rome
Six Feet Under
The Sopranos
The Wire

Obviously missing stuff (Game of Thrones...). Also, new episodes of current shows are added 3 years after original airdate (lol). Still a good deal of awesomeness. The Wire is the GREATEST show of all time, btw. Because I said it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Will try one of these after my roku dies. Just bought the new roku 3 for $99. We also cut cable, have no antenna but am able to find/watch anything we want the next day by using PlayOn Premium on my PC;the roku PlayOn Private Channel combined with the 1channel & ProjectFreeTV plug-ins for PlayOn. Works awesome.

bread's done
Back