Amazon Gold Box Deals 6/1/09 - 640GB HDD 3.5 $59.99 + Memory, graphics & 2.5" HDD

aznguyen316

CAGiversary!
Feedback
49 (100%)
Gold Box Deals

Deal of the Day:
Western Digital Hard Disk Drive 640GB Caviar Blue Internal OEM 7200RPM - $59.99

6:00 AM PDT - 4 GB DDR2 Notebook Memory Kit for $34.99 After Rebate
10:00 AM PDT - OCZ 4 GB DDR2 PC2-8500 Platinum Low Voltage Dual Channel Memory Kit OCZ2P1066LV4GK

2:00 PM PDT - VMware Fusion 2 ($29.99 with Mail-in Rebate)
4:00 PM PDT - Boost your PC's graphics performance without breaking the bank.
7:00 PM PDT - Make sure all your PC upgrades have sufficient power
9:00 PM PDT - Give your laptop a boost in capacity and speed.

These are all Pacific times, so add 1hr for Mountain, +2hr for Central and +3hr for Eastern time zones.

They all seem pretty obvious in what they are, just unsure of speeds, brands, sizes etc. Looks like we have laptop memory, desktop memory, either VMWare Fusion or Parallels for Mac, a graphics card, power supply, and a 2.5" internal laptop hard drive - should work with PS3 if it's SATA.

Last edited by a moderator:
God dammit.. I have classes from 10 til 3, so I'll miss out on a lot of the items.

I wouldn't mind getting a small SSD for my desktop. Or even a laptop SSD.

The last time they had this deal almost all the items were gamer level stuff. I really do hope they have a SSD drive. Been wanting to get my hands on one of those.

SSDs arent even close to being a viable upgrade option yet. Terrible price per gig and terrible write speeds [unless you spend a laughable fortune]. To top it off the ones that are affordable arent even that big.

Why anyone would spend hundreds for a small 100-200gb SSD when you can get a 1.5tb 7200RPM HDD for $130 is beyond me.

I've tried an SSD. Lived with it for a few weeks. Its not worth it.

[quote name='MSUHitman']I wonder if any of these HDD's that go on sale will be the correct size for a PS3?[/QUOTE]

just look for 2.5" SATA, most popular laptop drives so hopefully they'll have it.

and to the person that said last time it was gamer grade, great to hear! Can't wait to see what they have in store. I game on my MacBook, but I've upgraded that to what's best for it (4GB DDR3, 320GB 7200.3 seagate) .. not sure what else I am looking for.

I'd be willing to bite on new sound card, Blu Ray writer or some more RAM. Across two boxes, I've got enough harddrive space to last me years, but I could use a new PS3 HDD.

I'd have to see a killer deal on a graphics card to switch mine out.

[quote name='opportunity777']I'd be willing to bite on new sound card, Blu Ray writer or some more RAM. Across two boxes, I've got enough harddrive space to last me years, but I could use a new PS3 HDD.

I'd have to see a killer deal on a graphics card to switch mine out.[/QUOTE]

My computer I recently bought is satisfying my needs right now, so I think I'll only be looking for a blu-ray writer, also.

Wow, these are great deals! Thanks OP I would have missed this completely.
pixel.gif

Also hoping for a Blu-Ray drive and killer hard drive deals. Want to be able to back up Blu-Ray discs to my HD and store them there.

I'm curious to see if Amazon does a good job with this - lately computer hardware has been pretty cheap (well, at least ram and HDD, haven't been paying attention to much else), so I'm curious about how these deals will go.

And to those looking for BD writers, aren't BD writable discs really, really expensive? Like this 15 stack is $46. I guess $3 a disc to backup is better than just rebuying a movie for $20-$25, but it's still too rich for my blood.

[quote name='GrilledWitOnions']I'm curious to see if Amazon does a good job with this - lately computer hardware has been pretty cheap (well, at least ram and HDD, haven't been paying attention to much else), so I'm curious about how these deals will go.

And to those looking for BD writers, aren't BD writable discs really, really expensive? Like this 15 stack is $46. I guess $3 a disc to backup is better than just rebuying a movie for $20-$25, but it's still too rich for my blood.[/QUOTE]

Which to choose? 370+ gigs for 15 BDs ($50 for decent media), 240 GB for 30 DVD-9 ($45 for a set of good media) or 450+ gigs for 100 DVD-5 ($35 for a set of good media)

DVD-9 is a terrible value. That leaves DVD-5 and BD. DVD-5 offers a better price to virtual storage ratio, but my physical real world shelf space will be cluttered with a whole bunch of DVDs. I'd rather consolidate my discs into fewer media pieces.

BD's have fallen enough to be a plausible option.

[quote name='opportunity777']Which to choose? 370+ gigs for 15 BDs ($50 for decent media), 240 GB for 30 DVD-9 ($45 for a set of good media) or 450+ gigs for 100 DVD-5 ($35 for a set of good media)

DVD-9 is a terrible value. That leaves DVD-5 and BD. DVD-5 offers a better price to virtual storage ratio, but my physical real world shelf space will be cluttered with a whole bunch of DVDs. I'd rather consolidate my discs into fewer media pieces.

BD's have fallen enough to be a plausible option.[/QUOTE]
I used to think that BD would be incredible for storage myself, but you can get a much better dollar per gig ratio with hard drives now adays. There is the chance of a HD crash, but there is also a chance of a disc being destroyed or lost (although those are more directly controlled). However, I've got 4 hard drives (which really need to just be replaced by one large hard drive), and I've been working them hard for a few years and not one hiccup. Most 1TB drives are around $100 easy now, and I've been seeing a lot dipping near $80, maybe lower. But at $100, it's 10 cents a gig; BD's at $3 for 25 gigs is .12 a gig. (EDIT: Actually is it's closer to the $50 for decent BD discs like you say, it's more like 14 cents per gig) Not a huge difference in cost ratio, and it does depend on if you want to be able to easily move your files, etc. Honestly BD discs are cheaper than I expected :D But, I still think just getting a few huge hard drives makes more sense to me.

[quote name='GrilledWitOnions']I used to think that BD would be incredible for storage myself, but you can get a much better dollar per gig ratio with hard drives now adays. There is the chance of a HD crash, but there is also a chance of a disc being destroyed or lost (although those are more directly controlled).[/QUOTE]

I totally agree with those statements. A harddrive has better value and more features. BD discs are more portable and offer a more "permanent" archiving solution.

I haven't bought a BD drive yet because the prices have been too high to justify purchasing one. Once a drive hits close to a $100, I will buy one. Though, I'm not holding my breath for this to happen in the GB sale. :)

[quote name='opportunity777']I totally agree with those statements. A harddrive has better value and more features. BD discs are more portable and offer a more "permanent" archiving solution.

I haven't bought a BD drive yet because the prices have been too high to justify purchasing one. Once a drive hits close to a $100, I will buy one. Though, I'm not holding my breath for this to happen in the GB sale. :)[/QUOTE]
I currently backup stuff to DVD-R, and I really hate it. I initially started doing it when an external drive I had crashed, and it freaked me out that everything might go at any moment (although I was able to recover pretty much everything from that drive anyway). Now I just backup cause I keep running out of space on my computer :p I would like to be able to backup 25 gigs at a time instead of 4.5, but I think I just need to hurry up and build my media server with a few TB HDD in it. But before I do anything, I need a freaking job. >

/me crosses fingers for a good deal on a 1 TB HDD.

i've been putting off buying a new one to replace some of my older ones that are starting to to worry me, but there just haven't been any good deals like you used to see in a long time. Heck it's been at least 3 months and 2 wootoffs since one graced woot.

[quote name='LucerinRed']/me crosses fingers for a good deal on a 1 TB HDD.

i've been putting off buying a new one to replace some of my older ones that are starting to to worry me, but there just haven't been any good deals like you used to see in a long time. Heck it's been at least 3 months and 2 wootoffs since one graced woot.[/QUOTE]

Newegg and ZZF have had 1TB drives from anywhere from $70-81 in the past 10 days or so. I'm kicking myself for not picking up a 1TB WD Black for $81. The day it gets around that price again (or the Samsung F1 1TB), I'll buy 2.

[quote name='mtxbass1']Newegg and ZZF have had 1TB drives from anywhere from $70-81 in the past 10 days or so. I'm kicking myself for not picking up a 1TB WD Black for $81. The day it gets around that price again (or the Samsung F1 1TB), I'll buy 2.[/QUOTE]
ehhh, that's not THAT great of a deal, I'm talking I want it around $50. 1TB drives are well overdue for a price drop

i'm all about those WD Green power drives these days. They run so cool (my main priority), incredibly cheap even without specials, and plenty fast enough for anything I do. It's just me, but the Black edition runs a little too hot for my tastes - especially since I like my rig whisper quiet. I'm skeptical anything in the gold box will beat newegg prices or any number of the everyday deals, but I'll check it out.

Who ever was making a case agianst SSD's has to be on crack.

Replacing my stock Dell HDD, with an SSD drive.

#1. Its saves on battery power Alot.

#2. Its way faster than a standard platter hard drive spinning and wasting energy

#3. Its safer crash resistant.

#4. Runs cooler therefore fans don't run as often and drain battery

#5. SSD's run silent.

Price may not be as cheap per GB as platter conventional Hard drives but I want speed, security, and the cutting edge technology.

SSD are the future period. Yes its only 80GB but thats enough for my Laptop.

My buddies SSD laptop shuts down and boots in like 10 seconds thanks to blasing fast SSD

and an 80GB in his PS3 same as the one I bought is easily twice as fast as a 7200 RPM HDD with 16MB cache

Makes Games load and level load instantly not to mention make the PS3 and Laptop run very cool and silent.

no more spinning platter to heat up.

Wake up its 2009

[quote name='Mr. Twist']Who ever was making a case agianst SSD's has to be on crack.

Replacing my stock Dell HDD, with an SSD drive.

#1. Its saves on battery power Alot.

#2. Its way faster than a standard platter hard drive spinning and wasting energy

#5. SSD's run silent.

Price may not be as cheap per GB as platter conventional Hard drives but I want speed, security, and the cutting edge technology.

SSD are the future period. Yes its only 80GB but thats enough for my Laptop.

My buddies SSD laptop shuts down and boots in like 10 seconds thanks to blasing fast SSD

and an 80GB in his PS3 same as the one I bought is easily twice as fast as a 7200 RPM HDD with 16MB cache

Makes Games load and level load instantly not to mention make the PS3 and Laptop run very cool and silent.

no more spinning platter to heat up.

Wake up its 2009[/QUOTE]
This might all be true, and maybe you only need a smaller hard drive, but I need at least 1TB. SSD is not the way to go right now for that. When prices drop, yes it will be great. Wake up this is CAG ;)

[quote name='Mr. Twist']#1. Its saves on battery power Alot.[/QUOTE]

This depends on the type. SSDs that use DRAM actually draw more power and stay on all the time, even when the computer is turned off. HDDs shut down when the computer is off. Flash based drives are better in this regard but, depending on the model, still not as economical as mechanical HDDs in the long run. This is especially true with regards to power draw while the drive is idle.

Read

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ssd-hard-drive,1968.html

They are better for read time, but dismal in writing performance. Basically, for myself, it saved me a few seconds when opening programs depending on how large it was. For every day use though you probably wouldnt even notice it. I definitly noticed the slow down in write speed though.

This isnt true. SSDs are actually more apt to fail with use, and because they arent mechanical there will be no chance of warning when it happens. The chance for data corruption also goes up in SSDs vs HDDs.

This matters more for a laptop but when we're talking about a gaming PC i seriously doubt the user is worried about the heat output when their 800Watt PSU or graphics card doubles as a small heater by itself.

Price may not be as cheap? Its not even close.

SSD are the future period.

Who knows. One thing is for sure. When and if they become the primary medium for data storage anything you can buy today will not only be grossly over priced in comparison but severely outdated. SSDs have been around for years and only recently caught on.

Congrats? I'll save a lot of money, have a vastly larger driver with better write performance and wait a few more seconds for my programs to load. :lol:

[quote name='LucerinRed']ehhh, that's not THAT great of a deal, I'm talking I want it around $50. 1TB drives are well overdue for a price drop[/QUOTE]

Are you kidding me? $50? Maybe in a few months at a minimum. We're already under 10 cents a gig as is.

[quote name='mtxbass1']Are you kidding me? $50? Maybe in a few months at a minimum. We're already under 10 cents a gig as is.[/QUOTE]
I'm not talking about MSRP, I'm talking about as a sale. I haven't seen a good sale on these bad boys in a long time. No rebates, no nothing. Just $10 or so off on newegg. Nothing below $70.

[quote name='LucerinRed']I'm not talking about MSRP, I'm talking about as a sale. I haven't seen a good sale on these bad boys in a long time. No rebates, no nothing. Just $10 or so off on newegg. Nothing below $70.[/QUOTE]

About pricing, part of the problem stems from drive revisions. When cooler and quicker drives come out, the prices go back up. E-tailers quickly phase out the old models.

For an older 1 TB drive, you can get a decent deal using LIVE! CashBack on eBay.

Garbage Goldbox Deal.

Western Digital 640 GB Caviar Blue internal drive for $59.99. Newegg has the exact same product at the exact same price AND free shipping on top. If Newegg went back to full price, it would be $69.99 vs Amazon's bullshit claim of $89.99 standard price.

Bravo Amazon, another horrendously weak showing. Guess they don't feel the need to compete anymore either.

Amazon can compete knowing that nearly every single reputable electronics retailer is based in California, which means a 10 percent sales tax, and, for the case of any LCD PSP-sized or larger, a LCD recycling fee

I'm in need of a new CPU and HDD, but with the looks of the Deal of the day being weak and no sight of a CPU in the lightning deals hints this looks to be a bust.

Was hoping for a WD black drive and Phenom II 920/940 on the cheap. :(

[quote name='LucerinRed']I'm not talking about MSRP, I'm talking about as a sale. I haven't seen a good sale on these bad boys in a long time. No rebates, no nothing. Just $10 or so off on newegg. Nothing below $70.[/QUOTE]

I'm not talking about MSRP either. The lowest I've ever seen a 1TB drive go is $71 from Newegg about 2 weeks ago. They've had the WD Blacks on sale for as low as $81 here recently.

Edit: Weak sauce so far Amazon. Newegg sells the 640 for that price or lower.

[quote name='aznguyen316']
9:00 PM PDT - Give your laptop a boost in capacity and speed.[/QUOTE]

Speed is what I'm concerned about. I heard that putting a 7200 rpm 2.5" HD on a PS3 would kill it. Is that true?

[quote name='vlv723']Speed is what I'm concerned about. I heard that putting a 7200 rpm 2.5" HD on a PS3 would kill it. Is that true?[/QUOTE]

I don't know about killing it, but safest best is to use a 5400rpm to control heat as you don't want to add anymore heat to the PS3, although I've seen others put in a 7200RPM w/o problems.

[quote name='vlv723']Speed is what I'm concerned about. I heard that putting a 7200 rpm 2.5" HD on a PS3 would kill it. Is that true?[/QUOTE]

On the PS3 board and certain laptop HDD threads, the PS3 7200 RPM issue has been discussed ad nauseam. The conclusion is always the same. A 7200 RPM drive will not kill the PS3. Depending on the manufacturer and revision, they can actually run cooler than competing 5400 RPM drives.

Alright great, thanks guys.

If a 500GB for $60 is the last deal, I'm taking it in a heartbeat. I can't stand having a 40GB any longer :lol:

Which is the best choice 2.5 inch HDD to replace the currently existing PS3 HDD?

BRAND
SPEED
Reliability
HEAT

I would say go for brand first - Seagate & Western Digital are proven w/ latest tech as well - this goes w/ reliability I would say. Then worry about speed b/c in turn that will go w/ heat.

Who is Amazon trying to kid with these memory prices? 4GB of DD2 for $69.99 BEFORE rebate? I can get OCZ repear DDR2 for cheaper before rebate, and cheaper after rebate. Ridiculous.

[quote name='LucerinRed']this gold box deal set is a joke.[/QUOTE]
yes pretty sad, the video card for 169 after GB deal I can buy that card for 109 easily without even trying this is sad GB deal set by people who don't keep on the price of hardware on the market, then they marlk it down from original retail price and claim its a good deal huge joke.

bread's done
Back