Amazon has PSP Go for 199

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='jwargand']Was just looking around amazon and noticed they are selling the PSP Go for 199, but only the white one...most places seem to have this at 249...is it a good deal?[/QUOTE]

Get the PSP for $169.99 if you're interested in a PSP. It can do everything the Go can, only better, for cheaper, plus you can get cheap UMD movies & games that you won't be able to play on the PSP Go.

The PSP Go is a joke product.

It's debatable.

On the one hand the PSP Go is more costly than a PSP-3000 and can't play UMD games, meaning if you have an existing library of titles you're out of luck. You have to either repurchase them again digitally or live without. (Though, I believe Logitech is working on an external UMD drive.)

On the flipside, I was reading in a magazine (GameInformer?) that the PSP Go was very attractive to a doctor-type who didn't want to be burdened with lugging around UMDs. You can store quite a few games on the built-in 16GB storage, as well as music and movies.

For me -- no, it's not worth it. I do have quite a few UMDs and I've got a PSP-2000 going strong. I love that little box. That being said, it doesn't support WPA2 wireless encryption so when upgrading my home network I cut off my internet access to it. I believe the PSP Go (and likely the 3000) do support the higher encryption.

Just my $.02. Spend them as you see fit.

EDIT: and here's a link.

[quote name='INCyr']Get the PSP for $169.99 if you're interested in a PSP. It can do everything the Go can, only better, for cheaper, plus you can get cheap UMD movies & games that you won't be able to play on the PSP Go.

The PSP Go is a joke product.[/QUOTE]

agree

with all these drops is it the end for the PSP Go?

Still not a GO :) Really if you want the same plus more buy a PSP 2000 for cheap get a 16 gig mem card and still have enough left to buy 3 or 4 UMD or downloaded games. Why would anyone buy one of these ugly non functional things?

there added a link =) sorry about that...i actually have a PSP, was just thinking of getting the go as well since it would be nice to be able to take a number of games and not have to carry UMDs...is there still talk about allowing old PSP owners to copy there UMDs to the go? Or is that just dead?

[quote name='jwargand']there added a link =) sorry about that...i actually have a PSP, was just thinking of getting the go as well since it would be nice to be able to take a number of games and not have to carry UMDs...is there still talk about allowing old PSP owners to copy there UMDs to the go? Or is that just dead?[/QUOTE]

Dead. I'll hunt for the statement from Sony, but yes, they've nixed the idea.

EDIT: Here's the article over at Kotaku, and the relevant statement: "We were evaluating a UMD conversion program, but due to legal and technical reasons we will not be offering the program at this time."

Alright! Halfway to my magic, "I need a second PSP to play downloaded Japanese PSN games!" price. Keep on droppin' you piece of crap.

Still too much until a sizable chunk of the PSP UMD library is added. There are still so many games not available yet, and the ones that are available are too expensive to begin with.

I believe it was Game Informer that reported about a second release of the PSP GO after the disaster that was the first release. A reduced price point was the main reason for the second release.

I would love to have a GO for the convenience and the smaller package but even $200 is a ridiculous price to lose out on all of the UMD deals. I'm sticking with the phat until this drops to $125.

Final note: The biggest problem that I have with the GO is Sony's greed. The UMD drive and the 3000 as a package are more expensive to produce for Sony. Yet they gauge you with a $80 MSRP higher price.

I've been thinking of getting a PSP Go. Love the size of it compared to my PSP-2000. Even at $200, though, the price is still way too high. When it drops down to $120-140, I'll bite.

[quote name='KhrevalBruuk']On the flipside, I was reading in a magazine (GameInformer?) that the PSP Go was very attractive to a doctor-type who didn't want to be burdened with lugging around UMDs. You can store quite a few games on the built-in 16GB storage, as well as music and movies.[/QUOTE]

It's an idea that probably would've worked much better at the beginning of the handheld's lifetime rather than at the mid-to-end of it. Sony seemed to be inspired by the fact that the iPod/iPhone doesn't require carrying around media to play games, but cartridges or UMDs have never existed for that format. You can't expect current customers to upgrade to something that turns out to essentially be a detriment to their current game library (ie you can't play your old UMDs on it), and speaking as someone who isn't a current customer, the idea doesn't appeal to me at all as it means losing out on deals I could get buying from retail outlets.

The thing that kills it for me is that they expect you to download games to it... on a 802.11b connection. Seriously? Couldn't upgrade to wireless-g at least?

[quote name='zohar']The thing that kills it for me is that they expect you to download games to it... on a 802.11b connection. Seriously? Couldn't upgrade to wireless-g at least?[/QUOTE]
This.

Other than that the PSPGo isn't a bad little machine as long as you're aware of it's limitations and don't have an existing PSP library.

[quote name='SimaYi']I would bite...If I had $200 in Amazon VG Credit[/QUOTE]

I would never even have bought it if I had $200 Amazon VG Credit.
Use it in a more valuable way.

[quote name='drock']This.

Other than that the PSPGo isn't a bad little machine as long as you're aware of it's limitations and don't have an existing PSP library.[/QUOTE]

I do agree it should have wireless-g, but... it's not the only way to download the games. Download to your PS3 or via your PC (MediaGo software). I realize not everyone has those two devices, but in general your argument for 'slow downloads' holds little water - when there's so many more things about the PSPgo that are just wrong.

A downloadable game costs the same as a umd right? I would rather have a umd that I can trade or sell when I'm done with it. Plus the go doesn't look very comfortable to hold for longer than 10 minutes.

I bought a psp phat on day one and it's still alive and kicking. If you want a psp I would go with a 3000. Or if you just want a portable gaming device and don't have a ds, I would go with a ds lite (not a dsi... no gba compatibility).

I'm actually looking for a psp and have been weighing the options of a psp go. The biggest thing that scares me about the psp go is all the lies Sony said about the machine that they didn't come clean with till after.

"Oh we will have every retail psp umd game day and date after launch"

oops, sorry, wasn't true

"We will have about 400 games at launch in the store with a back library"

Sorry, oops again

"We will have something worked out for people with UMD's come PSP Go launch"

Um...yeah sorry about that. And by the way, we are taking care of Euro PSP GO customers, but screw you people in the U.S., heres a Rockband Demo

It's that piss poor attitude with PSP Go and piss poor support and practically non-existent support for the PSP store that keeps me from really thinking about getting the PSP Go. Is Lunar SSS going to be out on the PSP Store? Is Kingdom Hearts Birth By Sleep? Who knows, and thats what scares me is the people that SHOULD know (Sony) don't know.

[quote name='lilman']A downloadable game costs the same as a umd right? I would rather have a umd that I can trade or sell when I'm done with it.[/QUOTE]
UMD's are much cheaper in most cases.

[quote name='zohar']The thing that kills it for me is that they expect you to download games to it... on a 802.11b connection. Seriously? Couldn't upgrade to wireless-g at least?[/QUOTE]
This does annoy the shit out of me but since i have a PS3 with a 500 gig drive, I download it a normal speed on the PS3 them install it to my PSP. I should have to do this but if you have a psp, do it like that to save about 2 hours..... O_O

:lol: I had no idea about that.

just when I thought the possibilities of suckage were exhausted by the PSPgo

I would have a hard time justifying $50 for this. Getting a system that you are forced to pay whatever Sony decides is the price of a game seems like something no cheap ass would do. When used and clearance games can be found for $5-10 the cost of games being locked into (I'm guessing) $15-40 without really ever getting cheaper would quickly add up.
I don't know if there has ever been a system I have had less interest in than this one.

I just about only buy PSP games when on sale or clearance. For the games that I know what I paid for them and that are available on PSN, I just looked up what I'd have to pay to own them on the PSP Go. Getting them the first time cost me about $120. Buying them for the Go would cost about $240. Eliminating retail competition and clearances due to overstocking will be absolutely horrible for gamers. Given the choice between a PSP Go and not owning a handheld at all, I'd have a lot more time for reading books when I travel.

Castlevania: Dracula X Chronicles - $14.99 (paid $9.99)
Daxter - $15.99 (paid $9.99)
God of War: Chains of Olympus - $15.99 (paid $14.99)
Killzone Liberation - $15.99 (paid $9.99)
Lego Batman - $19.99 (paid $7.??)
Little Big Planet - $39.99 (paid $9.99)
Metal Slug Anthology - $19.99 (paid $4.??)
Puzzle Quest - $14.99 (paid $7.??)
Resistance Retribution - $31.99 (paid $14.99)
Secret Agent Clank - $31.99 (paid $19.99)
Silent Hill Origins - $14.99 (paid $7.??)

[quote name='maxfisher']I just about only buy PSP games when on sale or clearance. For the games that I know what I paid for them and that are available on PSN, I just looked up what I'd have to pay to own them on the PSP Go. Getting them the first time cost me about $120. Buying them for the Go would cost about $240. Eliminating retail competition and clearances due to overstocking will be absolutely horrible for gamers. Given the choice between a PSP Go and not owning a handheld at all, I'd have a lot more time for reading books when I travel.

Silent Hill Origins - $14.99 (paid $7.??)[/QUOTE]

That little big planet price was a screwup at kmart you can not count that but everything else is right. Yah the only way I would get go is if sony had a umd convert, was $120, and all new games were $30 when released on psn.

[quote name='maxfisher']I just about only buy PSP games when on sale or clearance. For the games that I know what I paid for them and that are available on PSN, I just looked up what I'd have to pay to own them on the PSP Go. Getting them the first time cost me about $120. Buying them for the Go would cost about $240. Eliminating retail competition and clearances due to overstocking will be absolutely horrible for gamers. Given the choice between a PSP Go and not owning a handheld at all, I'd have a lot more time for reading books when I travel.

Silent Hill Origins - $14.99 (paid $7.??)[/QUOTE]

Those are nice prices for them, but the PSP already has a small library compared to the DS, and the ones available without UMD is even smaller. More than half my UMD game library is unavailable on PSPGo still, at ANY price.

If they knock it down another $198, I'm totally in.

[quote name='jwargand']i actually have a PSP, was just thinking of getting the go as well since it would be nice to be able to take a number of games and not have to carry UMDs...[/QUOTE]

You do realize, right, that with a Memory Stick, you can download and play any game on your PSP that you would be able to on the PSP Go? If you already have a PSP, then it's completely a waste purchase, unless you really like the Go's form factor that much more.

[quote name='jwargand']is there still talk about allowing old PSP owners to copy there UMDs to the go? Or is that just dead?[/QUOTE]

Nope, it's dead.

[quote name='tominater12']That little big planet price was a screwup at kmart you can not count that but everything else is right. Yah the only way I would get go is if sony had a umd convert, was $120, and all new games were $30 when released on psn.[/QUOTE]

I never read anything about it being a screw-up. If it was, that just means sony digital distribution would eliminate a lot of good deals that come from retail sales, clearances AND screw-ups. :D

I just enjoyed playing my PSPgo at a chick-fil-a while my kid was playing in the playground area.

I sure am glad I brought it along. If had taken the time in the morning to grab my PSP 1000, make sure it was charged, make sure it was in Logitech Playgear case, make sure memory card was in it, make sure I had 3-4 UMD's b/c I can never make up my mind, make sure each one of those had a little protective case, make sure to put all this into a plastic bag..I wouldn't have brought my PSP 1000 after all..viva la GO!!

[quote name='token2k6']I just enjoyed playing my PSPgo at a chick-fil-a while my kid was playing in the playground area.

I sure am glad I brought it along. If had taken the time in the morning to grab my PSP 1000, make sure it was charged, make sure it was in Logitech Playgear case, make sure memory card was in it, make sure I had 3-4 UMD's b/c I can never make up my mind, make sure each one of those had a little protective case, make sure to put all this into a plastic bag..I wouldn't have brought my PSP 1000 after all..viva la GO!![/QUOTE]

You don't have to make sure your PSPgo is charged? You can get multiple batteries for PSP 1000-3000 and a separate charger and never have to plug the PSP itself in if you wanted to.

Why do you need a case for the PSP 1000-3000 any more than you'd need one for the PSPGo?

Why do you even take out the memory card? I haven't taken mine out since it was first put in.

And you can play the same games on your PSP 1000-3000 that you can on your PSPGo, so you can avoid the UMDs too.

And your Chick-fil-a has a play area for kids? If I had kids, I'd be jealous.

@elessar: lol..yeah, all good points, but touching on the battery life of the GO, and maybe b/c its new, I charge it once a week, listen to MP3's for an hour daily, probably play 2 hours worth of games and it lasts that whole time. Granted, the 1000 sits in a drawer, but every time I get it, its dead. and it has one of those extended battery packs. It just seems that stuff w/ internal batteries may hold a charge longer. My red mario DS still powers on despite not ever using it in like 4 years!? :lol: and please don't get me wrong, I love all PSP models, very glad I have a Go, but this is 2 pages of HATIN'

I don't think the PSP-Go supports WPA2 either.

Also, how do you download Japanese games with a Go? And if you can do it with a Go, can't you do it with a normal PSP?

I personally hate the idea of only having downloads available as the option for getting games and hope this fails hard so that companies understand that people don't want this kind of crap. No UMD and costs more than a 3000, up yours Sony.

I'd be all over this if the PSP Go could run homebrew. But as it is I'll stick with my psp 2000. No way I'm giving up Wagic the Homebrew (customizable mtg engine).

Nice.

If I keep ignoring it, it will continue to drop until it's a lot more reasonably priced.

Then again, my price point for this is $99.

[quote name='gunm']Nice.

If I keep ignoring it, it will continue to drop until it's a lot more reasonably priced.

Then again, my price point for this is $99.[/QUOTE]

oh right, b/c at least one model PSP has been $99 before..
NOT - GTFO!

Well it's definitely a cool product IMO. But Sony tried to appeal to a focus group, and at $250, even those people didn't wanna pay when they could get a superior product for 80 dollars less. Had Sony introduced the GO at $99, I think it would be selling like hotcakes right now. I definitely would have bought one a long time ago. The PSP isn't exactly booming right now, but a $99 system would definitely have gotten it into more hands and could've possibly even helped the who DD thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back