Amazon has PSP Go for 199

Status
Not open for further replies.
youve waited this long, mght as well wait until sony announce next gen psp like psp400 or 2nd gen pspgo. probably be announced at e3 later this yr. but with sony's shit luck, it will get leaked before sony announcement.

I actually like my Go a great deal. I don't have to worry about taking all my stuff with me just my Go and its case. I use it for media and PSP minis mostly or Half-minute hero, and it is not as huge as my PSP 1000 so I don't feel like I'm carrying a brick with me.

[quote name='Loonknight']I actually like my Go a great deal. I don't have to worry about taking all my stuff with me just my Go and its case.[/QUOTE]
Can't you do that with a psp phat too? I have one of these in my psp 1000. Currently I have 1x16gb microsd card in it but could have up to 2x16gb=32gb, twice the capacity of the go. And I still get a game in the umd slot.

[quote name='Loonknight']I use it for media and PSP minis mostly or Half-minute hero, and it is not as huge as my PSP 1000 so I don't feel like I'm carrying a brick with me.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, the psp phat is a brick. The few times I take a portable gaming device with me to a public place (doctor appointment for example) I just take ds lite. I only use the psp phat when I'm at home or on a trip.

For me, the $249 price point does not break the deal. The whole issue is that all the PSN games are overpriced. I don't like the idea of spending money on a device, just so that I can spend more on every game I buy. Kind of goes against being a "Cheap Ass Gamer".

If they would price a $40 game at $30 for the download version, I think they would see more people get on board with this. Then I would think, "Hey, I can save $10 now, and not need to lug around the UMD." Instead I now think, "I can get the UMD cheaper on sale, and then sell it if I don't like it."

Even if the hardware price drops, I would feel like I'm wasting money every time I buy a game vs getting the UMD.

[quote name='jeff7344']For me, the $249 price point does not break the deal. The whole issue is that all the PSN games are overpriced. I don't like the idea of spending money on a device, just so that I can spend more on every game I buy. Kind of goes against being a "Cheap Ass Gamer".

If they would price a $40 game at $30 for the download version, I think they would see more people get on board with this. Then I would think, "Hey, I can save $10 now, and not need to lug around the UMD." Instead I now think, "I can get the UMD cheaper on sale, and then sell it if I don't like it."

Even if the hardware price drops, I would feel like I'm wasting money every time I buy a game vs getting the UMD.[/QUOTE]

Yep, pretty much my thoughts. If I'm going to buy something without alienability, I expect a sizeable discount...

[quote name='token2k6']@elessar: lol..yeah, all good points, but touching on the battery life of the GO, and maybe b/c its new, I charge it once a week, listen to MP3's for an hour daily, probably play 2 hours worth of games and it lasts that whole time.[/QUOTE]

I have noticed that my PSP battery dies pretty fast, especially in comparison to my DSi. My guess is that it's the UMD drive that kills it so quickly, and the lack of UMD is therefore the reason why the PSP Go battery lasts longer. That being said, I would assume that if that's the case, playing games off of a memory stick rather than off of a UMD would probably result in the PSP battery lasting for just as long as the PSP Go battery lasts.

Maybe, since you have both and Sony lets you download purchased content on multiple machines, you could give that a try for us and let us know? I'm honestly curious, as the extended battery life is the only reason that I could see right now for the Go to be worthwhile at all.

[quote name='arcane93']I have noticed that my PSP battery dies pretty fast, especially in comparison to my DSi. My guess is that it's the UMD drive that kills it so quickly, and the lack of UMD is therefore the reason why the PSP Go battery lasts longer.[/QUOTE]

Will get you up to 11 hours of battery life.

I don't see why there's so much PSP Go hate. People are more than willing to drop hundreds of dollars on digital music on their Apple products via iTunes and on App Stores, but paying $20 for a digital version of a game is asking too much?

I think games like God of War ($20) and Metal Gear Solid Portable Ops ($15) priced digitally is a good deal. Sure you don't get a physical product that could be discounted down in price, but seriously, go to a Gamestop and look at the PSP section, I know I work for one!

Our PSP section is HORRIBLE. More than 70% of the games we sell used have no cases or manuals and the UMDs are in awful condition. We have to defect out so many games because people accept trades on them where the plastic covering has fallen in on itself and then you have to send it off to be refurbished and you get back a non factory made replacement UMD case.

I'll gladly pay the extra money to not have to deal with used materials that not everyone takes care of.

Probably because with the Go, you pay more for less. EVERY game you can play on the Go, you can play on the 1000/2000/3000. Not all new releases are even released day and date with UMD. The Go is so a poor product at the existing price point it isn't even funny. Like other people have said, if they had used a razor/blade model and priced the Go for much less ($149/99), it would have sold. But pricing it more than the old model which does more is just designed for failure.

[quote name='tacgnol']I don't see why there's so much PSP Go hate. People are more than willing to drop hundreds of dollars on digital music on their Apple products via iTunes and on App Stores, but paying $20 for a digital version of a game is asking too much?[/QUOTE]

Personally, I don't buy digital music either, unless it's something that I really want that's not available otherwise. I buy CDs, and if I want music on my iPod, I rip my them.

And yes, I do have an iPhone, but I never spend more than $3 for an app, specifically because of the disposable nature of them. When Sony starts selling PSP Go games for $3 and under, we'll talk.

[quote name='tacgnol']I think games like God of War ($20) and Metal Gear Solid Portable Ops ($15) priced digitally is a good deal. Sure you don't get a physical product that could be discounted down in price, but seriously, go to a Gamestop and look at the PSP section, I know I work for one!

Our PSP section is HORRIBLE. More than 70% of the games we sell used have no cases or manuals and the UMDs are in awful condition. We have to defect out so many games because people accept trades on them where the plastic covering has fallen in on itself and then you have to send it off to be refurbished and you get back a non factory made replacement UMD case.

I'll gladly pay the extra money to not have to deal with used materials that not everyone takes care of.[/QUOTE]

Well, right there's your first problem, shopping at GameStop. ;) I got a new UMD copy of God of War for $10 back when I bought it. Last weekend, I got a new UMD copy of Metal Gear Sold Portable Ops Plus for $6. I picked up Silent Hill Origins and Pangya Fantasy Golf for $5 each new at TRU the other day. My shelf is full of good PSP titles that I've gotten for $10 and under new, none of which would have been anywhere near that cheap if I'd downloaded them from the Playstation Network. And, oh yeah -- most them aren't even available on the Playstation Network yet anyway.

You don't have to buy used for UMD copies to be a better deal.

And, as has been pointed out several times, if I do want one of those downloadable games? Plays just fine on my PSP 3000, without me having to give up the UMD option.

Two things: Italicizing a bunch of words in your posts is a surefire way to annoy.

Second thing: If you want to save on the digital pricing, gamesharing will actually make the games much cheaper than your NEEEEEEEEEW copies of games.

[quote name='Bronson-Lee']Two things: Italicizing a bunch of words in your posts is a surefire way to annoy.

Second thing: If you want to save on the digital pricing, gamesharing will actually make the games much cheaper than your NEEEEEEEEEW copies of games.[/QUOTE]

Well, I'd say that I'm sorry for annoying you, but I'm not really, so oh well.

And, um, I can gameshare on my PSP 3000 if I really want to as well, can't I? So that's still not a compelling reason for a PSP Go.

[quote name='tacgnol']I don't see why there's so much PSP Go hate. People are more than willing to drop hundreds of dollars on digital music on their Apple products via iTunes and on App Stores, but paying $20 for a digital version of a game is asking too much?

I think games like God of War ($20) and Metal Gear Solid Portable Ops ($15) priced digitally is a good deal. Sure you don't get a physical product that could be discounted down in price, but seriously, go to a Gamestop and look at the PSP section, I know I work for one!

I'll gladly pay the extra money to not have to deal with used materials that not everyone takes care of.[/QUOTE]

For me, the big difference with digital music is that the digital version is usually cheaper. Looking at CDs on Amazon, the CD in most cases is more expensive than the mp3 download they have. So if I decide to opt for the digital version, I can save some money.

Looking at a game like God of War COO, it's not that the game isn't worth $20. It's a fantastic game, and well worth that. But the UMD is $12.23 brand new at Amazon vs the $20 for the downloadable one. So even if the game is great, I will always feel like I am wasting money, since I could have had it brand new for less.

I bought PixelJunk Monsters Deluxe for $20, but don't feel bad because there is no cheaper UMD looking me in the face while I did it.

[quote name='arcane93']Well, I'd say that I'm sorry for annoying you, but I'm not really, so oh well.
[/QUOTE]

Yes, because my intention for that comment was to get an apology out of you, not mock you. You were acting like a smartass. Whether or not you care is completely unimportant.

And, um, I can gameshare on my PSP 3000 if I really want to as well, can't I? So that's still not a compelling reason for a PSP Go.
Because lord knows I always use crutch words when I'm typing...

Correcto, but that comment wasn't so much directed at you as everybody who claims digital distribution is bad because you must pay MSRP no matter what. It's a perfectly viable solution.

You're also extremely limited by how much storage you have on your memory stick at the time; sure, you can buy more, but it's usually at about 40 bucks a pop for a 8 gigger or more, and eventually you'll have to start switching cards out and all that jazz (like I had to in the early days of the PSP 1000).

The price point is too high, but the PSP Go's best features are the better controls and built-in memory. $150 is a solid price point for it, alongside the current model. Definitely not 250.

tldr; PSP Go threads in the Video Game Deals forum will always generate down to this mess; people who don't like it will threadcrap, people who like it will defend, and it just breaks down to something quite similar to a 360 vs PS3 argument. It's quite seperatist.

[quote name='tacgnol']I don't see why there's so much PSP Go hate. People are more than willing to drop hundreds of dollars on digital music on their Apple products via iTunes and on App Stores, but paying $20 for a digital version of a game is asking too much?

Digital music's turned into a good model. I can go to some sites and pay a monthly fee to get a little or a lot of downloads. There are a bunch of other sites offering pretty identical libraries of music, each with their own agreements for paying the record companies a share. Competition is alive and well. I've bought tons of album downloads ranging from $1 to $5. And a lot of sites allow you to redownload files if anything ever happens to your originals. Go somewhere like Amazon and digital downloads of albums are always cheaper than their physical counterparts. Turn the digital game market into something resembling that model and I might wade in. Instead, you've got Sony dominating where downloads can be offered and for what price. There's a reason Amazon charges $12.23 for a physical copy of God of War with a case, UMD and book and $19.99 for a download that includes none of that.

[quote name='Bronson-Lee']You're also extremely limited by how much storage you have on your memory stick at the time; sure, you can buy more, but it's usually at about 40 bucks a pop for a 8 gigger or more, and eventually you'll have to start switching cards out and all that jazz (like I had to in the early days of the PSP 1000).[/QUOTE]

You make it sound like the PSP Go has unlimited storage capacity. The reality is that I can buy a PSP 3000 and a 16GB memory stick for less than the price of a PSP Go, and after that, everything else is equal.

[quote name='Bronson-Lee']tldr; PSP Go threads in the Video Game Deals forum will always generate down to this mess; people who don't like it will threadcrap, people who like it will defend, and it just breaks down to something quite similar to a 360 vs PS3 argument. It's quite seperatist.[/QUOTE]

If I "threadcrap" on PSP Go threads (and I don't think that it's threadcrapping to bring up directly related discussion points, but I guess we can agree to disagree on that), it's because honestly, I feel a strong investment in seeing download-only consoles fail. I don't like the idea of a world in which I can only (alert! italicizing again!) get my games from the Playstation Store, at whatever price Sony decides to charge for them. I like having options -- being able to go out and buy a new UMD at full price, buy a new UMD at a discount later, buy a used UMD, or buy a digital download, all at my choice and convenience. I like having physical copies of my media -- not just from the standpoint of being able to buy/sell used copies (as too many people try to write it off to), but also from the standpoint of having a permanent hard copy that will last "forever" (at least in relative terms to my use for it) as long as I take care of it, and from the tactile standpoint of having something that I can hold in my hand and put on my shelf.

The thing is, if the PSP Go succeeds, how long do you think it will take Sony and Microsoft to decide to make the next Playstation and XBox consoles download-only as well? If it fails, though, it may well give them second thoughts about going in that direction. Because of this, when you choose purchase or not purchase a PSP Go, and support or not support a download-only model, you're casting a very real vote on how you'll be getting all of your games eventually.

[/QUOTE]

It depends on the game. Most of the games on the PSN store are overpriced. Take the recently released Puzzle Chronicles. That'll cost you $30 on the PSN Store. Same price as the UMD, but compare it to other digital versions of the game. The ps3/360 versions at most will cost $20, but most likely will cost $15 or $10, and the iphone version will be even cheaper than that. PSP Go owners are getting screwed. At least PSP 1000-3000 owners can buy a retail copy, which will likely drop in price very quickly. PSP Go owners are stuck buying it at $30 for who knows how long. I know I've been wanting to get Class of Heroes for cheap, and that's still $40 on the PSN store. I'll probably just pick up a used copy for less down the line.

Truncated for length. Trust me, I'm saving everyone a ton of headaches here.

Anyways arcane, what it really comes down to is you hate digital distribution because you like physical media. All fine and dandy. So you hate the PSP-Go because it's digital only, not because "it doesn't have options". That simple.

Oh, and without digital distribution, the costs of game development would skyrocket so high we wouldn't see half as many great games as we do today. We wouldn't get great expansions to games (like with Burnout Paradise and Team Fortress 2) or find great under the radar games, like Chime.

Enjoy your UMD's. I'm gonna go play Badman (which would've never come out here without digital distribution).

FREEZE!! This is the Nobody Cares Police! Slowly step away from your high horse and place your hands behind your head!

Referring to all the bitching about UMD vs. digital distribution, not the deal. The deal is solid. Buy it or don't. Please move along.

[quote name='Bronson-Lee']Truncated for length. Trust me, I'm saving everyone a ton of headaches here.

Anyways arcane, what it really comes down to is you hate digital distribution because you like physical media. All fine and dandy. So you hate the PSP-Go because it's digital only, not because "it doesn't have options". That simple.

Oh, and without digital distribution, the costs of game development would skyrocket so high we wouldn't see half as many great games as we do today. We wouldn't get great expansions to games (like with Burnout Paradise and Team Fortress 2) or find great under the radar games, like Chime.

Enjoy your UMD's. I'm gonna go play Badman (which would've never come out here without digital distribution).[/QUOTE]
This completely ignores the #1 complaint about the Go, which is not the digital distribution is bad, but that the problem is that there is no one except Sony who offers it on the system, which makes the price of games much too high. When there is a monopoly the consumers suffer, which is exactly the situation that Go owners find themselves in.

Now you're trying to put words in my mouth that I didn't say.

I have no problem with digital distribution for some titles, primarily smaller, less expensive titles with less to them overall. Badman, frankly, belongs on digital distribution (personally, I didn't like it at all, but to each their own), although there was a (failed) drive to have it produced on UMD, and it's now being included as a "bonus" on the UMD of the sequel. Most XBLA games belong on digital distribution, and I have purchased some XBLA games (nothing for much over $5, though). For the most part, they're games that I play for a little while, and then don't bother to go back to. I have no problem with getting those over digital distribution. I also have no problem with getting expansions over digital distribution, within reason (I do have a problem with the fact that developers are using digital distribution as a crutch to fix bugs through patches that should have been caught and fixed in QA before the game was ever released).

On the other hand, no, I do not want Assassins Creed 2, Demon's Souls, or Final Fantasy XIII on digital distribution.

First of all, they'd take up a ridiculous amount of storage space, and take forever to download. Sure, hard drives are going to get larger, and internet speeds are going to get faster, but they're still a major burden, and the size of games like those is only going to continue to grow with technology. If anything, I fear that a digital-distribution only model will actually stunt the growth of games like those, as developers are forced to keep things reasonable for the lowest common denominator of their audiences.

Secondly, aren't you concerned at all about the longevity of the games you're purchasing? Doesn't it concern you that when Microsoft shuts down XBox 360 support on Live (as they're doing now with the original XBox) that you'll no longer have access to re-download your games if something happens? At least (unlike Microsoft) Sony lets you make your own backups, but it's still something to be concerned about. Again, I don't mind so much for a $5 XBLA game, but for a significant, $40-60 title (or even for a $20 one), I consider it a much bigger deal.

I have no problem with digital downloads existing as an option beside physical media. I just don't want to see them replace it.

I love my PSP but honestly i wouldn't pay more than like 50 bucks for a Go. Sorry Sony I'm not gonna rebuy all my PSP games. Plus I'm not a huge fan of digital only games: you just get a file, which is pretty much the same thing a pirate gets when they download a game. And they make you pay full price so for this I'd much rather get UMDs. Can't beat that new game smell and the joy at taking the shrink wrap off and having something that still has value and can be resold later on.

[quote name='token2k6']oh right, b/c at least one model PSP has been $99 before..
NOT - GTFO!
[/QUOTE]

No, not because any model of PSP has been this price, but that's what I personally think this particular model is worth. If Sony really wanted to push the software and software service, a lower price point for the hardware for ease of entry makes more sense considering they are constantly espousing the "10 year and beyond life cycle".
if you don't agree with me, I understand, but GTFO? Please. :roll:

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back