Amazon honest mistake?

sm04as

CAGiversary!
Feedback
394 (100%)
I am not sure if this is the correct forum to post this in, but I thought some of you would find this interesting or could shed some light on this.

I recent ordered a PS2 game directly from Amazon.com as opposed to a 3rd party seller and this is what I received:

picture.php

picture.php

This was supposed to be a new game, not from their warehouse. The game is sealed w/Y-folds, but as can be seen, you can see directly to the disc, which looks scratch-free. So there is no manual or artwork cover. There are at least two stickers. The first you can see in the picture, placed on the outside of the seal, and it says the name of the game I bought. Underneath that, stuck on the case itself, It reads "Saints Row 2, Used/Acceptable." The ink that you see in the picture is covering the "used/acceptable" part. Any ideas?

So my concern is, what did they just give me? I don't buy games from their warehouse/clearance, but do they actually reseal games w/Y-folds and sell them like that? This game is obviously not new considering the inner label and the lack of missing parts to this 'new' item.

Contact them if you were supposed to get a sealed new game and not one listed under "acceptable" condition(what disc only games are listed under). If it was, it's either a mix up in the listing or they sent the wrong copy of the game. The one in the pic is obviously one of their used copies from their Warehouse Deals account.

Never encountered one that was resealed. Usually if it's a copy that something's happened to it(damaged case, lost case & manual). They'll list under their Warehouse Deals listing with the condition stated. Most of the time they're open & just has the case swapped out with the manual & insert intact.

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like Amazon grabbed it from the wrong bin, or they ran out of stock and hoped that you wouldnt notice. I would definitely complain. Threaten to go to the BBB and u may get some xtra GC's out of it.

[quote name='Bezerker']Looks like Amazon grabbed it from the wrong bin, or they ran out of stock and hoped that you wouldnt notice. I would definitely complain. Threaten to go to the BBB and u may get some xtra GC's out of it.[/QUOTE]

You probably won't even have to make any threats. Just shoot them an email and explain that you were inconvenienced and you should be good to go. It's an obvious mistake and they will take care of it.

Yes, it was a mistake on their part, but I was also thinking if they are in the habit of resealing things they send out, what's to stop them from sending out a used game as new? I tend to purchase mainly from amazon.com rather than a 3rd party seller even if they are selling a game somewhat cheaper, with the expectation that I won't have to run into something like this.

Anyway I did talk to a customer representative and I'll be getting a replacement.

I typically order 2-3 games from Amazon a week. Some used games I've gotten could definitely pass off as new, so I'm pretty sure they don't do that.

i got a 3ds game the this week from amazon warehouse and it was ysealed and had a sticker on the inside and on the outside. so they are rewrapping them.

[quote name='PohTayToez']In my experience, Amazon always reseals any games they send out. Nothing out of the ordinary, seems like it was just a mixup.[/QUOTE]

So you're saying they always reseal games and pass them off as NEW games?

That is disheartening - I always used to trust them, but it seems like they are going the way of some other online sellers; trying to pass off used games as new. Game publishers should really have a sticker seal across the edges of the game like the PSX, old PS2 games used to do to cut down on fraud...

Whoops; obviously they wouldn't open and reseal a new game; I meant, do they pass off resealed old games as new

[quote name='CBG']Whoops; obviously they wouldn't open and reseal a new game; I meant, do they pass off resealed old games as new[/QUOTE]

Usually if it's been opened, they throw it on their warehouse deals account and sell it as used. Amazon doesn't reseal DVDs & games that often.

There is one seller under their "fulfillment by Amazon" that does. The seller's name is Direct Liquidations, otherwise known as NorAm. The company that handles the trade-ins through Amazon. If you ever buy something "new" from them, you'll know as soon as you get it that it's a resealed used item. Just search for NorAm on here and you'll find the thread that has complaints about them.

[quote name='cmb00']i got a 3ds game the this week from amazon warehouse and it was ysealed and had a sticker on the inside and on the outside. so they are rewrapping them.[/QUOTE]
Right but if youre buying from warehouse deals youre not buying brand new stuff. They've always done that as far as I know.

The concern was that Amazon would try to pull a gamestop and sell a used game as new. Amazon doesnt do that.

I have always wondered, though, how they always manage to get new stock of some games that have been discontinued for at least a year or two...
I always had a small suspicion that that bought resealed stock from another vendor (ex. NorAm mentioned above). It makes sense that they wouldn't resell games themselves since they are such a big company and it probably wouldn't be worth it, but what abou their trade-in partners who collect up all the games reseal them and then sell them back to amazon, claiming to amazon that they are new?

I'm a little paranoid because I got a set of DVDs from them and a game a few months ago:

1.) the discs of the DVDs had scratches and the box (underneath the shrinkwrap) had dirt on it

2.) the game itself was Y-sealed but the seam was along the spine, rather then along the edge where the case opens. Also, the cellophane was actually fused to the games plastic cover in a few places, indicating to me that someone had resealed it (probably not amazon, but whoever supplies them). Also, when it opened the case up, they were scratches in multiple places on the game itself.

To clarify:

Warehouse Deals pretty much always seals their stuff with a y-fold seal. They don't pass it off as new though, especially since they always put a sticker with the condition on the case underneath the seal.

bread's done
Back