AMAZON Linksys WGA11B Wireless-B Game Adapter $24.99

Does anybody have any experience with this adapter? I'm thinking about picking it up for my Xbox because the price seems pretty good especially compared to the official xbox adapter.

This game adapter is wireless 802.11b and supports only the weaker WEP encryption. It works ok since it's essentially a wireless bridge.

If you want higher encryption to reduce the risk of people hacking into your wireless network, you may want to consider WET54G which is a wireless bridge supporting 802.11g and WAP-TKIP encryption.

Alternatively, buy a WRT54G/GS router and load it with a 3rd party firmware such as Alchemy and turn it into all-in-one beast (VPN,SSH,WDS, Bridge, etc), which you can then use as a client-forwarding bridge with WAP-AES encryption :D

Its also a royal pain to set up (must be done physically linked to a windows machine - no web interface) and I had reliability issues with xbox live. And, yes, it only supports WEP with no plan for WPA upgrade.

[quote name='eau']This game adapter is wireless 802.11b and supports only the weaker WEP encryption. It works ok since it's essentially a wireless bridge.

If you want higher encryption to reduce the risk of people hacking into your wireless network, you may want to consider WET54G which is a wireless bridge supporting 802.11g and WAP-TKIP encryption.

Alternatively, buy a WRT54G/GS router and load it with a 3rd party firmware such as Alchemy and turn it into all-in-one beast (VPN,SSH,WDS, Bridge, etc), which you can then use as a client-forwarding bridge with WAP-AES encryption :D[/quote]

What in the bloody hell are you talking about? :lol:

so a wireless b vs a wireless g makes no difference on xbox live lag issues? i know the speeds are supposedly different, but you are saying it does not affect latency in online games?

Generally your speeds with 802.11b will actually be around 4-6 Mbps depending on factors such as distance from router and walls and obstructions blocking the router. The 802.11g usually gives no more than 25 Mbps speed again factors such as distance and obstacles play a role in your actual speed. 802.11b can sometimes go further than 802.11g but at the sacrifice of speed. Most internet connections are not much above 6 Mbps actual speed so really you probably won't see much lag difference between 802.11b and 802.11g based on the standard. You may see a difference if one router or bridge has a better antenae or reception. I have this adapter in the title and have been pretty pleased with it. Set up was kind of a pain and Linksys support was clueless for me but the game adapter has performed like a champ. However I am going to upgrade to this Netgear adapter here http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=251600&affiliate=pricegrabber
This one goes on sale/rebate pretty often and can be had for $40 at times. It supports 802.11G and WPA encryption which most (if not all) of the linksys game adapters do not support.

Is their a way to have mutiple systems on only one of these game adapters? Also does D-Link make anything like this because that is the type of router I am using?

[quote name='ajh2298']Is their a way to have mutiple systems on only one of these game adapters? Also does D-Link make anything like this because that is the type of router I am using?[/QUOTE]

Get a new router, DLink is the worst. And you can use this with a D-Link Router.

[quote name='ajh2298']Is their a way to have mutiple systems on only one of these game adapters?[/QUOTE]
Ditto that. Currently I have all my consoles connected to the Pelican System Selector Pro. This works great on a wired network but how will a wireless bridge react to the constant switching of consoles???

)-(

[quote name='gaelan']so a wireless b vs a wireless g makes no difference on xbox live lag issues? i know the speeds are supposedly different, but you are saying it does not affect latency in online games?[/quote]
In a typical home environment, 11b (11Mbps theoretical max - half that for a more realistic data rate) is faster than your broadband ISP. So no lag there.

[quote name='Purkeynator']Generally your speeds with 802.11b will actually be around 4-6 Mbps depending on factors such as distance from router and walls and obstructions blocking the router. The 802.11g usually gives no more than 25 Mbps speed again factors such as distance and obstacles play a role in your actual speed. 802.11b can sometimes go further than 802.11g but at the sacrifice of speed. Most internet connections are not much above 6 Mbps actual speed so really you probably won't see much lag difference between 802.11b and 802.11g based on the standard. You may see a difference if one router or bridge has a better antenae or reception. I have this adapter in the title and have been pretty pleased with it. Set up was kind of a pain and Linksys support was clueless for me but the game adapter has performed like a champ. However I am going to upgrade to this Netgear adapter here http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=251600&affiliate=pricegrabber
This one goes on sale/rebate pretty often and can be had for $40 at times. It supports 802.11G and WPA encryption which most (if not all) of the linksys game adapters do not support.[/quote]
Does it support WPA-AES encryption, or just WPA-TKIP?

[quote name='eau']Does it support WPA-AES encryption, or just WPA-TKIP?[/QUOTE]

I believe it was the TKIP. You should be able to check the netgear website for a pdf of the instruction manual.

bread's done
Back