Amazon: Major League Baseball 2K9 (360) - $39.99

I bought The Show because I heard this game sucked HARD. I hate to say it, but MLB The Show 09 didn't impress me. They should have multiple pitching and batting methods. Not just "Default" and "Retarded".

WTF happened to baseball games? Seems like there hasn't been any real gems since Ken Griffey Jr. for the SNES.

[quote name='crunchb3rry']I bought The Show because I heard this game sucked HARD. I hate to say it, but MLB The Show 09 didn't impress me. They should have multiple pitching and batting methods. Not just "Default" and "Retarded".

WTF happened to baseball games? Seems like there hasn't been any real gems since Ken Griffey Jr. for the SNES.[/quote]

You are in the minority.

the show is obviously the better choice but i will aree saying that next gen hasnt proved much for baseball other than the show

EA's MVP 2005 is the best baseball game ever made. I own and like The Show, its good, but not as great as some people make it out to be. Also, being unplayable on-line doesn't help its case.

That being said, I wouldn't touch 2k9 with a 10ft pole. I think 2k has 2 more years on its MLB license. We'll see what happens after that.

hah, yeah 2k9 does stink...
mypictures5.jpg
mypictures10.jpg

As someone who obviously plays The Show on my PS3 and PSP, I can honestly say that 2K9 on the 360 is a very enjoyable experience now that it's been patched. The online is superior and offline now holds it's own.

No, I would never play it on the PS3, but even though 360 fans feel like they get screwed by not having a choice they actually make out pretty well this year (assuming you are on Live and can get the patch).

I'm gonna buy this when it hits 75% off clearance at Target or something. What a big letdown as a series. Way to really use that "exclusive" license.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='emeraldgsl']Maybe when it drops to like $5 it would be a deal.
00.gif
00.gif
[/quote]

I tried the game recently at a friends after dinner, and yeah, sadly I have to agree with you on this one. I would like to say that even $5 is too much, but perhaps that's a touch too cruel.

[quote name='ScottBigGame']EA's MVP 2005 is the best baseball game ever made. I own and like The Show, its good, but not as great as some people make it out to be. Also, being unplayable on-line doesn't help its case.

That being said, I wouldn't touch 2k9 with a 10ft pole. I think 2k has 2 more years on its MLB license. We'll see what happens after that.[/QUOTE]

I fail to see why so many people love MVP Baseball. To me it felt like speed ball.

[quote name='rdogg1026']You are in the minority.[/quote]

I realize that. I just think the game is either one way or the other. Overly complicated (disorienting base running controls, batting and that odd pitching meter that never seems to throw straight even when releasing in the "sweet spot"), or reverts to old NES style baseball...one button to throw the ball, batting with very few enhancements.

The MLB 2K series, while in a funk, at least offered ways to tailor the game on all levels. At least 2K6 did, last one I played.

[quote name='crunchb3rry']I bought The Show because I heard this game sucked HARD. I hate to say it, but MLB The Show 09 didn't impress me. They should have multiple pitching and batting methods. Not just "Default" and "Retarded".

WTF happened to baseball games? Seems like there hasn't been any real gems since Ken Griffey Jr. for the SNES.[/quote]

:lol: MLB 09 is the bets b-ball game ever made, period. The customization is ridic, from chants, cheers and jeers that you can create and add to the crowd, to the best playing and looking game of baseball ever. :lol:

I couldn't agree with you more. IMHO, this is the best overall baseball video game made to this date. There have been other games that have played more realistic (Hardball series) Others do preffer the more arcade feel but if you like to play close games against the AI that won't turn into ridiculous high scoring slugfests, this is the game. Although I think most people play baseball video games looking for that arcade feel and not the real thing. At least that's what I think.

[quote name='linkmon']:lol: MLB 09 is the bets b-ball game ever made, period. The customization is ridic, from chants, cheers and jeers that you can create and add to the crowd, to the best playing and looking game of baseball ever. :lol:[/QUOTE]

[quote name='thingsfallnapart']I fail to see why so many people love MVP Baseball. To me it felt like speed ball.[/quote]

For me, after months of tinkering with the sliders and sharing sliders and ratings with people over GameFAQs, it created the most realistic baseball season I ever played in a video game.

I still have MVP 05 for the PS2. I sometimes like to goof off with the mini-games. I also had it for the PC for awhile and use to update it with the conversion mods. I eventually got rid of it, though, when I realized people were paying $50+ for it on eBay.

Well, don't get me wrong. This game certainly has its problems. I have it out via GameFly right now. Post-patch, the game is actually decent to me. And no, I have not had any major brain surgery recently.

I know everyone has their opinions. Sadly, I have no Sony console to play The Show on. I've got MVP 05 for the GC right now and Power Pros 2008 for the Wii as well. I play both on occasion.

After reading a lot of people, here and elsewhere, say this got a bit better post-patch, I placed it at the top of my GF queue. Yes, I have a PS3, but The Show is at low availability and has been skipped over a number of times over the last couple of weeks. So, I'll give this one a try.

[quote name='crunchb3rry']I realize that. I just think the game is either one way or the other. Overly complicated (disorienting base running controls, batting and that odd pitching meter that never seems to throw straight even when releasing in the "sweet spot"), or reverts to old NES style baseball...one button to throw the ball, batting with very few enhancements.

The MLB 2K series, while in a funk, at least offered ways to tailor the game on all levels. At least 2K6 did, last one I played.[/quote]

I will give you the baserunning complaint because it can be troublesome, especially in Road to the Show. I think the batting and pitching are fine though. I much prefer one button hitting to the analog stick method 2K uses. Hitting just feels right to me in The Show. The pitcher's ratings, confidence and energy all affect where the pitch ends up, not just if you hit the sweet spot on the meter. If the ball ended up exactly where you wanted every time you hit the sweet spot, a lot of the realism would be lost. The Show just feels the most like baseball to me. The best since the glory days of High Heat.

[quote name='Regian']Well, don't get me wrong. This game certainly has its problems. I have it out via GameFly right now. Post-patch, the game is actually decent to me. And no, I have not had any major brain surgery recently.[/quote]

I'm a somewhat casual baseball fan and a casual baseball game fan. I've actually been enjoying this game quite a bit. Yes, there are many areas that need improvement, but I still find most of the game enjoyable.

Is 2k9 post patch better than 2k8? It seems like the pitching changes to the gesture mechanic made it broken.

[quote name='Sneaktip']Is 2k9 post patch better than 2k8? It seems like the pitching changes to the gesture mechanic made it broken.[/QUOTE]

I've not been having that many problems pitching, honestly. But don't let this one person be the spokesperson for the playing community, though.

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']After reading a lot of people, here and elsewhere, say this got a bit better post-patch, I placed it at the top of my GF queue. Yes, I have a PS3, but The Show is at low availability and has been skipped over a number of times over the last couple of weeks. So, I'll give this one a try.[/quote]

So, of course, 2K's availability on the 360 just dropped to low. You all had the same idea as me, didn't you? Didn't you? ;)

We had a long discussion about this game before -- and the general thoughts were that it has to come down in price, much lower than $40 to get some folks to bite.

Okay, I played a lot more MLB 09 The Show over the last two days, and I don't think it sucks at all. It's pretty damn solid.

Baserunning still irks me, I wish the game at least allowed for analog swings. The lighting (sun cast over the field) in the game is amazing and the crowd has no repitition in it (like in EA games where every other seat has a guy in the same clothes with the same animations).

Pitching still bothers me though. I can't seem to pitch for shit no matter who I'm using. The ball breaks like crazy when it looked like I threw a clean pitch and I wind up walking the bases loaded. I take it the lightest area of the curve is your release point, but even if I hit it dead center it doesn't translate to the pitch I throw.

Sweet, I was going to buy this on Thursday for full price, good to see it dropped $20!

I love 2K8, and I heard all the patches in 2K9 have been released.

Thanks OP!

[quote name='crunchb3rry']Okay, I played a lot more MLB 09 The Show over the last two days, and I don't think it sucks at all. It's pretty damn solid.

Baserunning still irks me, I wish the game at least allowed for analog swings. The lighting (sun cast over the field) in the game is amazing and the crowd has no repitition in it (like in EA games where every other seat has a guy in the same clothes with the same animations).

Pitching still bothers me though. I can't seem to pitch for shit no matter who I'm using. The ball breaks like crazy when it looked like I threw a clean pitch and I wind up walking the bases loaded. I take it the lightest area of the curve is your release point, but even if I hit it dead center it doesn't translate to the pitch I throw.[/quote]

The pitches seem to go where ever they want no matter where you locate it.

The Show is by far the better game. Having said that 2k9 is not as bad as people make it seem. It is not worth the 39.99 they are asking for it but at 25 or so I would recommend it. It's not like 360 owners have very many options. The game has a lot of flaws but as an avid Show player I found some of the differences in the games to be entertaining. I don't think that 2k9 is going to blow anybody's mind but it is the best that 2k has put out so far.

bread's done
Back