Amazon PCDD - Important Update New Community Manager Incoming!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amazon DVG Deals

Official Representative
Feedback
4 (100%)
Hey CAGS,

I’ve got some news I’m both excited and sad to share with you at the same time. I’ll be leaving the Digital Video Games team in Mid-March to join the marketing team for Amazon.com’s Loyalty and Rewards program, Amazon Coins. My boss and I have talked extensively about how to maintain and continue our presence here and across the other communities we’ve created in the past couple of years. To that end I’d like to introduce you to Josh, who take over monitoring, updating, and responding to this thread. Josh will be ramping up over the next couple of weeks, he  will be posting shortly to introduce himself.

Now that the “what’s going on” part of the message is out of the way I want to tell you all how much I love CAG and the posters here. This was the first community I joined when I started this job (anyone still remember that first thread?) and all of you have had a huge hand in shaping how we think about and execute Community Development and Management here at Amazon, which has in turn shaped my career these last two and a half years.

I started to write out a section calling out the regular posters and realized the list would be both overly long and incomplete at the same time. Instead I’d like to thank you all again, you all have my deep and sincere gratitude. I’ll still be around and my gaming accounts aren’t going anywhere so feel free to hit me up anytime you want to chat. I’ll probably still hang out in the thread too :).

Thanks again everyone, let me or Josh know if you have any questions!

The Indie Store has launched!
Amazon.com is launching a storefront dedicated to supporting and promoting PC/Mac/Web-based Indie Games. Our Digital Video Games team is a small group of passionate gamers and we’re all really excited to help Indie developers reach more customers quickly by providing a quick and simple process for bringing their games to market. Additionally we’ll be supporting the Indie Store with a ton of promotions, both at and after launch. Many of these promotions are designed to give the developer the opportunity to maximize their revenue. For example, Amazon is forfeiting all royalties from bundle sales and passing them along directly to the developer, we’ve also created an “Indie Spotlight” program to help customers learn more about the games and developers they love. We view the Indie developers as some of the most creative in the industry and we want to help them continue to create new and innovative experience for customers.

Why we are doing this:

• Allow customers to discover an entirely new category of games on Amazon.com
  • Help developers reach new customers quickly. Our onboarding process is straightforward and we want to sell every Indie game available
  • We want to leverage our strengths to support and help the developers who are driving forward innovation and creativity in the games industry
General Information

Hi CAGs,
I'll be posting deals we're running on Digital Games (PC/Mac, Free to Play, Sony/Microsoft Points/Subs).

I'm also here to answer questions you might have, get you closer to the developers by hosting Q&As, setting up podcasts, live streaming gameplay etc. If I don't respond to a question you have in thread please send me a PM. These ping my email address and make it more likely that I will see your question and respond more quickly.

Cheers,
Tony

FYI. EA Games sold by Amazon will not activate on Steam.
F.A.Q.S.:

1. Does the game I'm buying from Amazon Activate on Steam/Origin/Uplay? What DRM does the game use?

There are two places to identify DRM on a digital video game detail page:

At the top of the page, below the title:

16hm7a8.png

In the "Product Description" section:

r06ykl.jpg

2. Note on Electronic Arts Games - For the most part, EA games sold on Amazon do not activate on Steam. Most activate on Origin.

3. Note on DRM with limited activations:

Our Policy

4. Sometimes I'll do giveaways.

5. I work with developers and publishers to get fun (or at least what I think is fun) content to share with you all. Here are some examples:

a. Check out the Pax Gameplay videos here: Xcom: Enemy Unknown I played Xcom with Jake, the Creative Director for the game, a few months before the game came out Also, on this page, check out the Q&A, also a community driven event.

b. Check out the interview on this page: Borderlands 2 we did this interview at E3 with Randy Pitchford this year.

c. We've partnered with the ++GoodGames Podcast to feature many of the games we carry. They talk to the developers about the game development process, how the games are conceptualized and managed, all kinds of fun stuff. I'm working on putting together full link list and will update when I have it.

What else do we sell?

Xbox Live Points and Subscriptions:

1600 Microsoft Live Points
4000 Microsoft Live Points
12 Month XBOX Live Subscription
3 Month XBOX Live Subscription]
12 Month + 1 XBOX Live Subscription

PSN+ Subscriptions and PSN Points:

$20 PSN Points
$50 PSN Points
12 Month PSN+ Subscription
3 Month PSN+ Subscription

We also have a Free-2-Play store supported by our GameConnect technology. Gameconnect allows you to link your Amazon.com account with free-2-play and MMO accounts so that you can buy things like in game currency, premium game time/subscriptions, in game items, etc. on Amazon.com using your Amazon.com payment options and have this content delivered directly into your game.

5. Price Matching notes: Generally we do not match international retailers (GMG, Gamersgate, etc) or physical retailers (Best Buy, Newegg.com, etc.)
To check out the Free-2-Play games we offer you can visit our storefront here: Free-2-Play Store

Last edited by a moderator:
It's very true that Amazon has been about bundles in the past and it'll be interesting to see what happens in the next sale or in the future.  I didn't get a chance to use gooncave neither and bought just a few things from Steam this sale, very little.  I really hope Amazon comes up with something decent this holiday since I don't think I've bought a thing since Jan/Feb here.  Great for the pocket book, but like all the posts, it reflects that the sales aren't really that spectacular.  Idiot complains about the PM and all that since maybe a lot of folks here used to be spoiled with awesome deals which you felt you had to buy.  Lately, I don't think anyone can say the deals are that much to write about and I'm sure the sales reflect that internally for Amazon as well.  Maybe it's part of the plan to at least have people follow what you do, but shopping on Steam as most people say is a ton easier to find out what's on sale, what's in stock, etc...Same goes for GOG as well.

What I still do find interesting during this sale and all the price matching is that being a price matcher looks to me to be very 2nd tier/a follower.  Someone already has the lower price and if Steam was smarter, they'd actually provide better service to not even lose those sales at all.  Amazon wins all over from the service standpoint where you get refunds if there's a problem, etc...and can actually reach someone by phone.  With Steam as a company worth well over a billion, you'd think they could afford to provide better service so people would just not bother with this endless PM thing and just buy it already.  Since Steam uses their own keys, they can also just get rid of all the other DRM nonsense and provide unlimited activation keys like Amazon, etc...

I also think Tony is probably overworked since I don't know how big of a staff they really have to try to "win" in this category.  Without Tony, as you can see, things just collapse and don't run that well with no PM, sales and keys running out, etc etc...

Of course, Amazon has tons of other businesses as well so obviously they can't dedicate everything to Digital games, but sorta really shows as well in the execution.

Bleh, after waiting all day yesterday, I missed out on the price match by around 30 minutes. Thanks for the switching it over Tony but next time get those whips cracking on those hamsters ;)

Hey guys,

Got the Rogue Legacy Steam PM in place, big thanks to Idiot again who PMed me. Also, I'll be in thread more now that the Summer Sale is ending :).

Cheers,

Tony
WB to the Amazon DVG Thread!

So, anything major planned for Amazon DVG Deals to make us spend some $ that you can reveal? ;)

WB to the Amazon DVG Thread!

So, anything major planned for Amazon DVG Deals to make us spend some $ that you can reveal? ;)
Nothing right now but I will let you know when I have more info.

Also, Gooncave is now inactive as an FYI.

Edit: I'm a liar, tomorrow we'll have the Kingdoms of Amalur bundle for $9.99.

Cheers,
Tony

Nothing right now but I will let you know when I have more info.

Also, Gooncave is now inactive as an FYI.

Edit: I'm a liar, tomorrow we'll have the Kingdoms of Amalur bundle for $9.99.

Cheers,
Tony
I'd guess that KOA:R Bundle is for the Origin-version, right?

Even though I already own KOA:R + ALL DLC's (bought it from you guys at Amazon DVG long ago) - I hope people who missed out on that, get it.

It's easily worth the $10, IMHO.

There's tons to do in KOA:R (base game) and the Dead Kel DLC is awesome!

I have like over 80 hours w/ that collection.

I went on amazon to purchase Football Manager 2013 (since i missed it on the steam sale) but "gooncave" isn't working for me. Perhaps it was due to trying if the code works but accidentally exiting my browser? I went back to checkout and it says the coupon is not valid :(

Not sure if anyone noticed, as it hasn't been mentioned in this thread, but the Steam version has finally been matched.
I actually was dreaming that Amazon price matched Steam for Rogue Legacy, but I told myself, 'it's just a dream' because I knew I was sleeping. Turns out it was true!

Woke up too late to see the price match.

Guess I'll wait a bit until the next Rogue Legacy sale.

Wow, thanks Tony for trying.... since some people think that your JOB is your LIFE. 

I missed out on Rogue Legacy (like others) but that's ok.  ( I too checked but just after the sale ended apparently)

Depresses me every time I see the Amalur bundle on sale.  EA gives it out like candy now but the Steam version is lost in limbo.

Depresses me every time I see the Amalur bundle on sale. EA gives it out like candy now but the Steam version is lost in limbo.
EA needs to have other stuff on sale on Amazon, too.

I'd <3 to see NFS: Most Wanted (2012 by Criterion) + ALL of its DLC (Ultimate Speed, Terminal Velocity, Movie Legends & NFS Heroes) have a nice sale here.

only bought a few games but a bunch of dlc for various games.

amazon: tomb raider

steam: a. creed revelation($7.50) tomb raider underworld ($.80) misc dlc ($15)

Given that the coupon was clearly designed as bait for price matches, I don't fault anyone for asking, and asking repeatedly. But why should Amazon bother matching most little $3 games that barely anyone will buy (which seemed to be a lot of the requests)? For the most part they matched the big ones that would sell the most.

Keep in mind, Amazon doesn't just have carte blanche permission to set prices to whatever match point they want, the providers of the keys can place whatever restrictions and stipulations they want. And I have actually heard an indie dev say in a past sale that Amazon price matched his Steam sale price without his permission, and he wasn't very happy about it. Different sites negotiate different deals and digital goods are a lot different than going into Target and asking for a match on a TV.

Given that the coupon was clearly designed as bait for price matches, I don't fault anyone for asking, and asking repeatedly. But why should Amazon bother matching most little $3 games that barely anyone will buy (which seemed to be a lot of the requests)? For the most part they matched the big ones that would sell the most.

Keep in mind, Amazon doesn't just have carte blanche permission to set prices to whatever match point they want, the providers of the keys can place whatever restrictions and stipulations they want. And I have actually heard an indie dev say in a past sale that Amazon price matched his Steam sale price without his permission, and he wasn't very happy about it. Different sites negotiate different deals and digital goods are a lot different than going into Target and asking for a match on a TV.
This would all be totally valid, had Amazon not pricematched awesomely last Summer Sale.

And I'm sure there's something about pricematching in the fine print. Indie devs are just more likely to not read said fine print. I hardly think Amazon went out of bounds when they pricematched a dev's game.

Just chiming in to say that I agree with what appears to be the general consensus that while Amazon crushed Steam back in December 2012, (and has had a few good sales since then), Steam definitely won the lion's share of my PCDD budget this time around. Didn't even end up using gooncave. That said, I'm 100% confident in Tony's/Amazon's triumphant return in the next few months.
Yeah agree on most part, but I'm unsure Amazon can do better than Steam in the future. Steam has learned, I think.

That assumption Steam didn't have decent summer sale is... assumption.

200 dollars spent on Steam, zero dollar on Amazon speaks for the truth.
Yeah it's funny how at the end of every Steam sale for the past couple years, we always get a bunch of comments that the sale was a let down for them. Truth is, your first (and maybe even second) Steam Holiday or Summer sale is probably your best one since you have so few games in your Steam library that every deal feels like a winner. Now that your library has been stacked you see a lot of these deals as "meh, I already bought that a while ago" or "I got enough games in my Steam library, so 75% off or GTFO". Hell, in this Steam sale we got Deus Ex: HR, Fallout New Vegas, and Just Case 2 for like $3 a pop. If you didn't think those were awesome deals, it's probably because you already own them.

And of course, you can also thank GMG, Amazon, GamersGate, and some of the other PC download sites over the past year or two running great deals on new releases and older titles that the need to wait for Steam to do their big sales has been lessened.

Yeah it's funny how at the end of every Steam sale for the past couple years, we always get a bunch of comments that the sale was a let down for them. Truth is, your first (and maybe even second) Steam Holiday or Summer sale is probably your best one since you have so few games in your Steam library that every deal feels like a winner. Now that your library has been stacked you see a lot of these deals as "meh, I already bought that a while ago" or "I got enough games in my Steam library, so 75% off or GTFO". Hell, in this Steam sale we got Deus Ex: HR, Fallout New Vegas, and Just Case 2 for like $3 a pop. If you didn't think those were awesome deals, it's probably because you already own them.

And of course, you can also thank GMG, Amazon, GamersGate, and some of the other PC download sites over the past year or two running great deals on new releases and older titles that the need to wait for Steam to do their big sales has been lessened.
Yeah, our backlogs can be our biggest enemy or friend, depending on how you look at it - b/c we've already bought the game (and hopefully we've played it and/or finished) and don't need it; or we can kick ourselves b/c it's much cheaper (and we might NOT have even touched the game at all or even did much with it yet)

Yeah, our backlogs can be our biggest enemy or friend, depending on how you look at it - b/c we've already bought the game (and hopefully we've played it and/or finished) and don't need it; or we can kick ourselves b/c it's much cheaper (and we might NOT have even touched the game at all or even did much with it yet)
I have a huge backlog, but I still feel like every sale's a winner because there's usually at least one gem to make up for all of the games that I already have. Like Dust: An Elysian Tale on Steam or StarDrive (go space bears!) on Amazon.

200 dollars spent on Steam, zero dollar on Amazon speaks for the truth.

Your first (and maybe even second) Steam Holiday or Summer sale is probably your best one since you have so few games in your Steam library that every deal feels like a winner. Now that your library has been stacked you see a lot of these deals as "meh, I already bought that a while ago" or "I got enough games in my Steam library,"
I went into the sale thinking that, but ended up spending roughly $200. The Trading cards were a pretty cool thing too, mainly because you can sell them to other people. I've made at least $15 so far from selling cards. So that's nearly a 10% return on purchase price, on top of the already 60% off I bought most things at.

Either way, I'm pretty satisfied, and have been enjoying a large number of games I may not have found otherwise. (I recommend The Swapper for sure!)

So I suppose I'm glad amazon didn't price match some things, otherwise I may have spent more.

See you at the Holiday Sale, y'all!

I have a huge backlog, but I still feel like every sale's a winner because there's usually at least one gem to make up for all of the games that I already have. Like Dust: An Elysian Tale on Steam or StarDrive (go space bears!) on Amazon.
The bears is the number 1 reason I wishlisted this game.

In his defense, Amazon pretty much pricematched everything last Summer Sale, and kicked Steam's ass as a result....Complaining about ain't gonna do anyone any good
You don't know if complaining will do any good or not. It will do good if Amazon actually acts on customer feedback. NOT complaining sure as hell won't do a damn thing because Amazon won't know there is a problem.

i blame the price glitches and my want of more publisher game for codemaster lol i blame it all but yea it was good but too many repeats was my only problem the flalsh deal was too many reepats

I play the majority of AAA titles on 360 due to not having a top-of-the-line or even mid-range gaming rig. So as someone that almost exclusively deals in indie games on Steam, I'm gonna say the last several major sales HAVE sucked, primarily because of the rise of Humble Bundle, Indie Royale, and similar bundle sites.

I also feel sorry for anyone that bought FF7 at launch and was almost immediately burned by the 33% off flash sale... :p

I know its been listed in the thread before but I'm not seeing it, a quick search didn't help (though that is likely my fault as I've not explored the new forum as much as I likely should have), so I pretty much apologize right here and now for asking a stupid question..  (I also looked with my eyes in the PC subforum and the Game Trading forum.)

I got Fly'n tempting me, but it seems the coupon expired... Sad :( I believe the free games are not there anymore too?

We are still waiting for killer deals on amazon, btw. 

Hi Tony,

I am a first time caller but a long time listener lol. Could you please get the Burnout Paradise Bonus Vehicle Pack pricematched to $4.99? I would love to buy this from Amazon instead of Gamestop.

Thank you.

Sincerely,

Your biggest fan.

http://www.gamestop.com/pc/dlc/burnout-paradise-bonus-vehicle-pack/109726

http://www.amazon.com/Burnout-Paradise-Bonus-Vehicle-Online/dp/B00CX6G1IE/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1374581547&sr=8-3&keywords=burnout+ultimate+box
The pack sucks anyway, unless you don't mind the cheat DLC included (Time Savers Pack), which immediately unlocks all vehicles.

You can't activate the other DLC included without activating the Time Savers Pack.

I have been eyeing KOA:R complete bundle for a while, however i have it on ps3 with no dlc and would prefer to play it on my big tv.  I cant tell if the PSN dlc has ever been on sale.  The bundle with all dlc and base game for pc is same as one dlc pack on psn.  Decisions decisions...

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back