Amazon PCDD - Important Update New Community Manager Incoming!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amazon DVG Deals

Official Representative
Feedback
4 (100%)
Hey CAGS,

I’ve got some news I’m both excited and sad to share with you at the same time. I’ll be leaving the Digital Video Games team in Mid-March to join the marketing team for Amazon.com’s Loyalty and Rewards program, Amazon Coins. My boss and I have talked extensively about how to maintain and continue our presence here and across the other communities we’ve created in the past couple of years. To that end I’d like to introduce you to Josh, who take over monitoring, updating, and responding to this thread. Josh will be ramping up over the next couple of weeks, he  will be posting shortly to introduce himself.

Now that the “what’s going on” part of the message is out of the way I want to tell you all how much I love CAG and the posters here. This was the first community I joined when I started this job (anyone still remember that first thread?) and all of you have had a huge hand in shaping how we think about and execute Community Development and Management here at Amazon, which has in turn shaped my career these last two and a half years.

I started to write out a section calling out the regular posters and realized the list would be both overly long and incomplete at the same time. Instead I’d like to thank you all again, you all have my deep and sincere gratitude. I’ll still be around and my gaming accounts aren’t going anywhere so feel free to hit me up anytime you want to chat. I’ll probably still hang out in the thread too :).

Thanks again everyone, let me or Josh know if you have any questions!

The Indie Store has launched!
Amazon.com is launching a storefront dedicated to supporting and promoting PC/Mac/Web-based Indie Games. Our Digital Video Games team is a small group of passionate gamers and we’re all really excited to help Indie developers reach more customers quickly by providing a quick and simple process for bringing their games to market. Additionally we’ll be supporting the Indie Store with a ton of promotions, both at and after launch. Many of these promotions are designed to give the developer the opportunity to maximize their revenue. For example, Amazon is forfeiting all royalties from bundle sales and passing them along directly to the developer, we’ve also created an “Indie Spotlight” program to help customers learn more about the games and developers they love. We view the Indie developers as some of the most creative in the industry and we want to help them continue to create new and innovative experience for customers.

Why we are doing this:

• Allow customers to discover an entirely new category of games on Amazon.com
  • Help developers reach new customers quickly. Our onboarding process is straightforward and we want to sell every Indie game available
  • We want to leverage our strengths to support and help the developers who are driving forward innovation and creativity in the games industry
General Information

Hi CAGs,
I'll be posting deals we're running on Digital Games (PC/Mac, Free to Play, Sony/Microsoft Points/Subs).

I'm also here to answer questions you might have, get you closer to the developers by hosting Q&As, setting up podcasts, live streaming gameplay etc. If I don't respond to a question you have in thread please send me a PM. These ping my email address and make it more likely that I will see your question and respond more quickly.

Cheers,
Tony

FYI. EA Games sold by Amazon will not activate on Steam.
F.A.Q.S.:

1. Does the game I'm buying from Amazon Activate on Steam/Origin/Uplay? What DRM does the game use?

There are two places to identify DRM on a digital video game detail page:

At the top of the page, below the title:

16hm7a8.png

In the "Product Description" section:

r06ykl.jpg

2. Note on Electronic Arts Games - For the most part, EA games sold on Amazon do not activate on Steam. Most activate on Origin.

3. Note on DRM with limited activations:

Our Policy

4. Sometimes I'll do giveaways.

5. I work with developers and publishers to get fun (or at least what I think is fun) content to share with you all. Here are some examples:

a. Check out the Pax Gameplay videos here: Xcom: Enemy Unknown I played Xcom with Jake, the Creative Director for the game, a few months before the game came out Also, on this page, check out the Q&A, also a community driven event.

b. Check out the interview on this page: Borderlands 2 we did this interview at E3 with Randy Pitchford this year.

c. We've partnered with the ++GoodGames Podcast to feature many of the games we carry. They talk to the developers about the game development process, how the games are conceptualized and managed, all kinds of fun stuff. I'm working on putting together full link list and will update when I have it.

What else do we sell?

Xbox Live Points and Subscriptions:

1600 Microsoft Live Points
4000 Microsoft Live Points
12 Month XBOX Live Subscription
3 Month XBOX Live Subscription]
12 Month + 1 XBOX Live Subscription

PSN+ Subscriptions and PSN Points:

$20 PSN Points
$50 PSN Points
12 Month PSN+ Subscription
3 Month PSN+ Subscription

We also have a Free-2-Play store supported by our GameConnect technology. Gameconnect allows you to link your Amazon.com account with free-2-play and MMO accounts so that you can buy things like in game currency, premium game time/subscriptions, in game items, etc. on Amazon.com using your Amazon.com payment options and have this content delivered directly into your game.

5. Price Matching notes: Generally we do not match international retailers (GMG, Gamersgate, etc) or physical retailers (Best Buy, Newegg.com, etc.)
To check out the Free-2-Play games we offer you can visit our storefront here: Free-2-Play Store

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess I'm the only person who got the Dishonored Glitch of the Year edition... And yea, it's worth it for just the DLC alone! :p

Nothing "knock your socks off" amazing this year, though. 

Well, you didn't get the credit in 2012. You got it in 2013 when SR4 was going to be released. Apparently they gave everyone who has SRTT in their games library a $5 credit towards SR4. Maybe it'll last forever, maybe it was unintentional and it'll get removed in ten minutes. But since the game is only on sale today for this price, I don't know why you'd want to save $5 off MSRP a week from now instead of getting it for $10 today.
Actually, the email Amazon sent with the credit states it is good through 7/25/2014.

my apologies to Cheaplikeafox, I sit at my computer corrected. 

By the way, nice to see you fox.  Hope all is well with everyone at CAG and thank you all for the humor and comments.

Actually, the email Amazon sent with the credit states it is good through 7/25/2014.
That's exactly the sort of "I actually looked at the email instead of randomly guessing" initiative we need around here! Keep it up kid and you'll make middle management some day.

So i recently helped a bud build a computer and is just gettin into pc gaming and one of my first multi player recommendations was bf3. I reffered him to amazon but being new he bought the regular edition instead of the premium that actually cheaper. Any one know of were he could get premium service for a reasonable price.

So i recently helped a bud build a computer and is just gettin into pc gaming and one of my first multi player recommendations was bf3. I reffered him to amazon but being new he bought the regular edition instead of the premium that actually cheaper. Any one know of were he could get premium service for a reasonable price.
I assume he already redeemed the code? Otherwise he could email Amazon CS and ask about it.

I haven't used Amazon customer service in forever. Can someone point me to one that is for ADVG? I made a mistake on a purchase and need undo it. The only CS I see is for shipped orders and I don't think it applies to digital.

Nice score!

I'm jelly.

I think that could be b/c Bioshock: Infinite this year was *that* amazing.

Everything else that I've played this year pretty much has paled in comparison.
I think I liked Tomb Raider more than Bioshock Infinite. BSI has a great story, but TR just seemed to resonate with me more. I just wished there was more single player added as DLC than that one tomb. TR's multiplayer just seemed tacked on, it wasn't bad, but it felt like an entirely different game. It seemed odd that they would focus their post-release DLC plans almost entirely on what most critics and players said was merely "meh" at best, when they were specifically asking for more single player.

Saints Row IV is a mess of ridiculous fun, but thus far (I'm only three hours in) it feels much more scripted and linear than 2 and 3. There have been tons of good games out this year (Arkham Origins, The Swapper, Beatbuddy, Contrast, Call of Juarez: Gunslinger, Outlast, Cognition, Mars: War Logs, Type: Rider, Solar Flux, Expeditions: Conquistador, The Inner World, and I'm sure others I'm forgetting), but I'm not sure there was anything that I'd call great.

Well, better jump on the Max Payne 3 price match while it lasts people.
It's not a price match. It's been that way for the past three or four days. I bought mine at that price when it started.

MP3 is also excellent by the way. I can't believe this didn't sell as well as GTA. Though I'm not sure how big of a seller the first two were. I always assumed they were big since they were given sequels.

^^^^

That's weird; it was showing as $9.99 for me yesterday [as I reported a lower price with GameFly @ $5]; so I was refreshing the page every 30 minutes.

Hmm, well I did run CCleaner yesterday and that cleaned my cookies, perhaps that did the trick.  Anways, if true my bad.

MP3 is also excellent by the way. I can't believe this didn't sell as well as GTA. Though I'm not sure how big of a seller the first two were. I always assumed they were big since they were given sequels.
Max Payne 3 for console + then later PC port was doomed from the start of its original release - they both were released around the same time some monster-franchise title called Diablo 3 did from some company called Blizzard. For a PC game, D3 PC was doing crazy numbers on the PC, during that time - even despite, IMHO, it was not anywhere even closed to being as great as D2.

Of course, Max Payne series has always been more of a typical old-school shooter in style w/ its linearity. GTA helped really usher in the open-world era, so it's no surprise people drool over the GTA sandbox instead of Max Payne.

Many of the Max Payne series fans were also either uncertain and/or unhappy Rockstar was taking on Max Payne, not the beloved Remedy. Many fans were not sure how some of the more vibrant and colorful setting location changes would actually effect to the series. Many were wondering why it was taking so long for this game to come out. Thankfully, Max Payne 3 was still great - and the final product was awesome; and it showed why this game took forever to develop.

Max Payne is a fantastic series - and I hope everybody who missed it does pick it up at this kind of crazy dirt cheap-ness.

I think I liked Tomb Raider more than Bioshock Infinite. BSI has a great story, but TR just seemed to resonate with me more. I just wished there was more single player added as DLC than that one tomb. TR's multiplayer just seemed tacked on, it wasn't bad, but it felt like an entirely different game. It seemed odd that they would focus their post-release DLC plans almost entirely on what most critics and players said was merely "meh" at best, when they were specifically asking for more single player.

Saints Row IV is a mess of ridiculous fun, but thus far (I'm only three hours in) it feels much more scripted and linear than 2 and 3. There have been tons of good games out this year (Arkham Origins, The Swapper, Beatbuddy, Contrast, Call of Juarez: Gunslinger, Outlast, Cognition, Mars: War Logs, Type: Rider, Solar Flux, Expeditions: Conquistador, The Inner World, and I'm sure others I'm forgetting), but I'm not sure there was anything that I'd call great.
TR 2013's story & characters were the disappointment for me. Also, so was Lara's overly quick evolution from "scared girl getting beat-up" to "crazy body-dropping heroine" within the first 3 hours of the game. It didn't seem gradual enough. It felt extremely rushed. And, anyone who's played a TR game or seen a good deal of Indiana Jones movies, you kind of know what you're getting - story & characters didn't really doing anything of much that was different, special or unique. It was predictable and often followed the formula of those products. It's not terribly, by many means - it's just....there. Puzzles were unfortunately easier than ever, as well - even though most of these were (wisely) put in the side-quest Tombs.

If TR 2013 got anything right, it's absolutely all in the gameplay - and this is absolutely stellar. This is the best stuff in this game - and the reason to play it. With improved combat systems & controls; fantastic as ever platforming; & an open-world experience - this is what makes TR 2013 what it is. In Nixxes doing PC versions, I trust - this game is just gorgeous to have grace my PC monitor.

TR 2013's story & characters were the disappointment for me. Also, so was Lara's overly quick evolution from "scared girl getting beat-up" to "crazy body-dropping heroine" within the first 3 hours of the game.

Sometimes you flash a glimmer of hope, mi amigo...

If TR 2013 got anything right, it's all in the gameplay - and this is absolutely stellar.
...which is then quickly snuffed out.

TR 2013's story & characters were the disappointment for me. Also, so was Lara's overly quick evolution from "scared girl getting beat-up" to "crazy body-dropping heroine" within the first 3 hours of the game. It didn't seem gradual enough. It felt extremely rushed.

to me it felt like she evolved over the course of the whole game, didn't feel like only 3 hours. She struggled through every minute of the game.

to me it felt like she evolved over the course of the whole game, didn't feel like only 3 hours. She struggled through every minute of the game.
I didn't say her character itself didn't evolve. I said the evolution from "Scared girl getting beat-up" to "crazy body-dropping heroine" felt way too fast to suit me. Especially w/ the way the game starts you off into survival mode w/ tons of QTE's and not really doing too much w/ combat or anything - i.e. doing a few puzzles, hunting deer, and trying to escape in these crazy QTE's.

Next thing I know, she's choking everybody out w/ her bow, killing tons of enemies w/ her arrows, stealthily moving along, and engaged in crazy shootouts and dropping bodies like flies. While she's still scared crap-less early on and she's evolving to get tougher as she's doing all of this - the evolution of her getting heavily involved in combat-heavy sequences too early on to suit me. It's really jarring - especially after early on, she's basically just trying to survive in the game-world and not too much interaction w/ anybody, the first few hours.

I don't know... I didn't really feel that way. It felt good man. I believe they established that she had previously been trained in survival skills to some degree.

Tomb Raider 2013 was a blast.

It was the ONLY game released in 2013 that actually pulled me away from Skyrim [ya I know].

If you can get it at a price you like, go for it.

I dunno... in TR I found it much more fun to play as a badass than a shrieking, fearful weakling. The evolution was indeed quick - but let's face it, she had superhuman skills and no amount of training would allow anyone to pull off all of those moves. I was able to suspend disbelief and had a blast. 

The story was B-movie stuff, but it wasn't offensive.

I don't know... I didn't really feel that way. It felt good man.
Granted, even despite my very minor complaints - TR 2013 is one of the best actual games this year. The gameplay itself was just stellar, in most regards. It's a shame the story & character stuff just...didn't really do too much for me, felt formulaic, and often predictable. And it's a shame some of the tombs, the puzzles just...ain't too hard, when compared to even games like TR: Underworld.

For me, though - TR 2013 ain't even in Bioshock: Infinite's league; especially if we're talking in terms of story & characters. Nothing this year has been in Bs:I's league for me, though. For me, Bs:I had that mix of really good gameplay & absolutely exceptional storytelling & characters that I really want out of a game.

Granted, even despite my very minor complaints - TR 2013 is one of the best actual games this year. The gameplay itself was just stellar, in most regards. It's a shame the story & character stuff just...didn't really do too much for me, felt formulaic, and often predictable. And it's a shame some of the tombs, the puzzles just...ain't too hard, when compared to even games like TR: Underworld.

For me, though - TR 2013 ain't even in Bioshock: Infinite's league; especially if we're talking in terms of story & characters. Nothing this year has been in Bs:I's league for me, though. For me, Bs:I had that mix of really good gameplay & absolutely exceptional storytelling & characters that I really want out of a game.
Agreed. This year felt like there were an absurd amount of good games to play, but very little elite ones. I guess the top 3 goty candidates are probably gonna wind up being GTA, BI and Last of Us. Haven't played GTA or Last of us (although I just picked up the Last of Us/Arkahm Origins PS3 bundle, so that should hopefully change soon), but GTA has never appealed to me all that much. BI is my run away winner for GOTY thus far. Although Rayman Legends could be a personal darkhorse candidate.

I dunno... in TR I found it much more fun to play as a badass than a shrieking, fearful weakling. The evolution was indeed quick - but let's face it, she had superhuman skills and no amount of training would allow anyone to pull off all of those moves. I was able to suspend disbelief and had a blast.
Exactly my point - evolution's too quick.

Oh, there's nothing wrong w/ the bad-ass thing. Most action games, though - they often start you off as the bad-ass and totally skip the evolution part even that TR 2013 tried. I certainly give it credit for actually trying to do this - even though, IMHO, they rushed it a bit. Most action games, they wouldn't likely even try to start her off this frail and portray her as struggling like this.

The gameplay in this open-world experience is what's fantastic, from start-to-finish. It certainly ain't the "B-movie story" (as you put it) and characters.

The story was B-movie stuff, but it wasn't offensive.
Exactly my point - the story was still B-movie stuff and never rises above that.

Agreed. This year felt like there were an absurd amount of good games to play, but very little elite ones. I guess the top 3 goty candidates are probably gonna wind up being GTA, BI and Last of Us. Haven't played GTA or Last of us (although I just picked up the Last of Us/Arkahm Origins PS3 bundle, so that should hopefully change soon), but GTA has never appealed to me all that much. BI is my run away winner for GOTY thus far. Although Rayman Legends could be a personal darkhorse candidate.
Yeah, last year we had the fantastic Batman: AC; TWD from TellTale; Max Payne 3; Sleeping Dogs; and Dishonored.

That's just for starters.

That certainly ain't all of them.

EDIT:

A game where the quick transition from wimp to badass stuck out to me was Far Cry 3.
I ain't played that yet - even though I just bought it the other day. Looking forward to that game.

EDIT 2:

I've yet to play TR

I'm in the midst of trying to decide which game I play next...STALKER is up there, so's TR
Oh, you can't go wrong w/ STALKER SOC + COP or TR 2013.

All of those are worth your time.

Yeah, last year we had the fantastic Batman: AC; TWD from TellTale; Max Payne 3; Sleeping Dogs; and Dishonored.

That's just for starters.

That certainly ain't all of them.

EDIT:

I ain't played that yet - even though I just bought it the other day. Looking forward to that game.
Batman AC was actually 2011. THAT was a crazy year - Arkham City,, SKyrim, Portal 2, The Witcher 2, Deus Ex HR

Then non pc games, like Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Skyward Sword

fucking insanity

Sometimes you flash a glimmer of hope, mi amigo...

...which is then quickly snuffed out.
I'm curious - what did you dislike about TR 2013's gameplay?

EDIT:

Batman AC was actually 2011. THAT was a crazy year - Arkham City,, SKyrim, Portal 2, The Witcher 2, Deus Ex HR

Then non pc games, like Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Skyward Sword

fucking insanity
Oh, yeah - you're right; b/c it came out somewhat around near when BF3 did.

Yeah, 2011 was a great year, as well.

And in 2012, we finally got Dark Souls on the PC. :D

I also forgot to mention - Mass Effect 3 was great in 2012, even despite its last 5-10 minutes of horrible-ness.

For great titles, 2011 and 2012 seemed to be banking out more greatness than what 2013 has offered-up. A lot of solid titles in 2013 - just nothing in really BS:I's league for me.

TR 2013's story & characters were the disappointment for me. Also, so was Lara's overly quick evolution from "scared girl getting beat-up" to "crazy body-dropping heroine" within the first 3 hours of the game. It didn't seem gradual enough. It felt extremely rushed. And, anyone who's played a TR game or seen a good deal of Indiana Jones movies, you kind of know what you're getting - story & characters didn't really doing anything of much that was different, special or unique. It was predictable and often followed the formula of those products. It's not terribly, by many means - it's just....there. Puzzles were unfortunately easier than ever, as well - even though most of these were (wisely) put in the side-quest Tombs.

If TR 2013 got anything right, it's absolutely all in the gameplay - and this is absolutely stellar. This is the best stuff in this game - and the reason to play it. With improved combat systems & controls; fantastic as ever platforming; & an open-world experience - this is what makes TR 2013 what it is. In Nixxes doing PC versions, I trust - this game is just gorgeous to have grace my PC monitor.
While I understand where you're coming from, I have to disagree. I thought Lara's evolution was relatively gradual, constantly growing right up to the final boss battle, finally showing a glimmer of the Lara that we knew from the previous incarnations. In comparison, her evolution was far more believable than Brody's in Far Cry 3, who seemingly instantly is a gun-toting badass. ;) Part of the fun of Tomb Raider here is indeed that we basically have seen this story in other media, borrowing from past Tomb Raiders, Indiana Jones, and Lost, even Apocalypse Now to an extent, it's that comfort and familiarity in the story, especially as well told as the narrative is, that allows us to pay attention to the growth of Lara and the hardships that she goes through in the first hour or so. I also liked the depth that they added to the lore and history of the island, if one chose to look, in the different relics, audiologs, writings and such, it made it feel like a real place rather than just window-dressing to shoot stuff in.

EDIT: I should add that it's one of the few games outside of Mount & Blade that actually made archery mechanics feel right.

As an expert on toting guns, being a badass, and boobs...I thought Tomb Raider was just fine the way it was.

While I understand where you're coming from, I have to disagree. I thought Lara's evolution was relatively gradual, constantly growing right up to the final boss battle, finally showing a glimmer of the Lara that we knew from the previous incarnations. In comparison, her evolution was far more believable than Brody's in Far Cry 3, who seemingly instantly is a gun-toting badass. ;) Part of the fun of Tomb Raider here is indeed that we basically have seen this story in other media, borrowing from past Tomb Raiders, Indiana Jones, and Lost, even Apocalypse Now to an extent, it's that comfort and familiarity in the story, especially as well told as the narrative is, that allows us to pay attention to the growth of Lara and the hardships that she goes through in the first hour or so. I also liked the depth that they added to the lore and history of the island, if one chose to look, in the different relics, audiologs, writings and such, it made it feel like a real place rather than just window-dressing to shoot stuff in.

EDIT: I should add that it's one of the few games outside of Mount & Blade that actually made archery mechanics feel right.
Yeah, it's cool that they tried to immerse the player w/ Lore and whatnot. But, about the audio-logs, I prefer how Bioshock does it over TR 2013. In TR, you stay on that screen not moving around - and listen to the log. In Bioshock, you pick-up a Log and then you can listen to it while in-game, all while still moving your character around and whatnot if you so choose.

While familiarity is okay, TR 2013 doesn't really do anything different or have much of a spin on the numerous movies and games it's taking notes and cues from - which I think is rather unfortunate.

While Lara's character does evolve, I still feel it's that transition of her character from the early game from "lone-survivor girl taking a beating" to then grabbing a bow to taking on waves of enemies is way too fast, quickily transitions from stealth-kill to straight-up shoot-outs. I was really digging early-on w/ Lara trying to survive out the middle of nowhere all alone & hunting deer...before waves of enemies come after her. Body count could've been smaller and the game could've been a bit less combat-heavy especially early on (once it transitions), to suit me.

I can't speak on FC3 yet - as I ain't touched it.

For a PC game, D3 PC was doing crazy numbers on the PC, during that time - even despite, IMHO, it was not anywhere even closed to being as great as D2.
I liked Max Payne 3, and I liked Diablo 3.

I was never able to get too interested in Diablo 2, but I played all the way through Diablo 3, and hope to finish a 2nd or 3rd playthrough eventually. So to me, Diablo 3 is much better than Diablo 2, but I guess people are going to have their own weird expectations. :p

I've been meaning to try earlier Tomb Raider games, but I think I'll just stick with Tomb Raider 2013, and any sequels that come out. A nice adventure, exploration, and crafting experience all in one.

Tony any deals for Company of Heroes 2 and Rome 2 Total war? Steam sales have been dissapointing and Amazon DG is what steam sales used to be.

I've been meaning to try earlier Tomb Raider games, but I think I'll just stick with Tomb Raider 2013, and any sequels that come out. A nice adventure, exploration, and crafting experience all in one.
I recently played the original Tomb Raider (the one in the PS3 remastered collection) after having never played it before...and I loved it! It was clearly Uncharted before Uncharted was Uncharted. Had some cool scripted set pieces and a really neat stage on a motorcycle trying to run down a bunch of people in trucks. Liked it a lot and will definitely play the others in the collection.

I liked Max Payne 3, and I liked Diablo 3.

I was never able to get too interested in Diablo 2, but I played all the way through Diablo 3, and hope to finish a 2nd or 3rd playthrough eventually. So to me, Diablo 3 is much better than Diablo 2, but I guess people are going to have their own weird expectations. :p

About D3 - it's more about the execution.

D3 is massively streamlined, when compared to D2. When you level-up in D2, you can pump # point values into attributes and stats; and actually select what skills YOU decide to learn. You can't do this in D3. Stuff just unlocks when you hit a certain level. The problem is D3 is really lacking in letting you customize your character - and it's all at the expense of making sure noobs don't accidentally screw-up their character-build for whatever class they choose. The real problem w/ this change is this - D3 doesn't give the character enough skills choices & Rune variations to actually compensate for these changes in actually streamlining the game.

Plus, the loot-tables & random-area generation on the PC-version (when I played it) were nowhere as interesting as D2; or even what I saw going on w/ D3 on consoles (I have seen D3 on X360).

And this ain't even w/ getting into my thoughts on always online DRM.

I'll take TL2 over D3 any day.

I recently played the original Tomb Raider (the one in the PS3 remastered collection) after having never played it before...and I loved it! It was clearly Uncharted before Uncharted was Uncharted. Had some cool scripted set pieces and a really neat stage on a motorcycle trying to run down a bunch of people in trucks. Liked it a lot and will definitely play the others in the collection.
Then clearly Uncharted is a misnomer. It's quite charted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back