Amazon PCDD - Important Update New Community Manager Incoming!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amazon DVG Deals

Official Representative
Feedback
4 (100%)
Hey CAGS,

I’ve got some news I’m both excited and sad to share with you at the same time. I’ll be leaving the Digital Video Games team in Mid-March to join the marketing team for Amazon.com’s Loyalty and Rewards program, Amazon Coins. My boss and I have talked extensively about how to maintain and continue our presence here and across the other communities we’ve created in the past couple of years. To that end I’d like to introduce you to Josh, who take over monitoring, updating, and responding to this thread. Josh will be ramping up over the next couple of weeks, he  will be posting shortly to introduce himself.

Now that the “what’s going on” part of the message is out of the way I want to tell you all how much I love CAG and the posters here. This was the first community I joined when I started this job (anyone still remember that first thread?) and all of you have had a huge hand in shaping how we think about and execute Community Development and Management here at Amazon, which has in turn shaped my career these last two and a half years.

I started to write out a section calling out the regular posters and realized the list would be both overly long and incomplete at the same time. Instead I’d like to thank you all again, you all have my deep and sincere gratitude. I’ll still be around and my gaming accounts aren’t going anywhere so feel free to hit me up anytime you want to chat. I’ll probably still hang out in the thread too :).

Thanks again everyone, let me or Josh know if you have any questions!

The Indie Store has launched!
Amazon.com is launching a storefront dedicated to supporting and promoting PC/Mac/Web-based Indie Games. Our Digital Video Games team is a small group of passionate gamers and we’re all really excited to help Indie developers reach more customers quickly by providing a quick and simple process for bringing their games to market. Additionally we’ll be supporting the Indie Store with a ton of promotions, both at and after launch. Many of these promotions are designed to give the developer the opportunity to maximize their revenue. For example, Amazon is forfeiting all royalties from bundle sales and passing them along directly to the developer, we’ve also created an “Indie Spotlight” program to help customers learn more about the games and developers they love. We view the Indie developers as some of the most creative in the industry and we want to help them continue to create new and innovative experience for customers.

Why we are doing this:

• Allow customers to discover an entirely new category of games on Amazon.com
  • Help developers reach new customers quickly. Our onboarding process is straightforward and we want to sell every Indie game available
  • We want to leverage our strengths to support and help the developers who are driving forward innovation and creativity in the games industry
General Information

Hi CAGs,
I'll be posting deals we're running on Digital Games (PC/Mac, Free to Play, Sony/Microsoft Points/Subs).

I'm also here to answer questions you might have, get you closer to the developers by hosting Q&As, setting up podcasts, live streaming gameplay etc. If I don't respond to a question you have in thread please send me a PM. These ping my email address and make it more likely that I will see your question and respond more quickly.

Cheers,
Tony

FYI. EA Games sold by Amazon will not activate on Steam.
F.A.Q.S.:

1. Does the game I'm buying from Amazon Activate on Steam/Origin/Uplay? What DRM does the game use?

There are two places to identify DRM on a digital video game detail page:

At the top of the page, below the title:

16hm7a8.png

In the "Product Description" section:

r06ykl.jpg

2. Note on Electronic Arts Games - For the most part, EA games sold on Amazon do not activate on Steam. Most activate on Origin.

3. Note on DRM with limited activations:

Our Policy

4. Sometimes I'll do giveaways.

5. I work with developers and publishers to get fun (or at least what I think is fun) content to share with you all. Here are some examples:

a. Check out the Pax Gameplay videos here: Xcom: Enemy Unknown I played Xcom with Jake, the Creative Director for the game, a few months before the game came out Also, on this page, check out the Q&A, also a community driven event.

b. Check out the interview on this page: Borderlands 2 we did this interview at E3 with Randy Pitchford this year.

c. We've partnered with the ++GoodGames Podcast to feature many of the games we carry. They talk to the developers about the game development process, how the games are conceptualized and managed, all kinds of fun stuff. I'm working on putting together full link list and will update when I have it.

What else do we sell?

Xbox Live Points and Subscriptions:

1600 Microsoft Live Points
4000 Microsoft Live Points
12 Month XBOX Live Subscription
3 Month XBOX Live Subscription]
12 Month + 1 XBOX Live Subscription

PSN+ Subscriptions and PSN Points:

$20 PSN Points
$50 PSN Points
12 Month PSN+ Subscription
3 Month PSN+ Subscription

We also have a Free-2-Play store supported by our GameConnect technology. Gameconnect allows you to link your Amazon.com account with free-2-play and MMO accounts so that you can buy things like in game currency, premium game time/subscriptions, in game items, etc. on Amazon.com using your Amazon.com payment options and have this content delivered directly into your game.

5. Price Matching notes: Generally we do not match international retailers (GMG, Gamersgate, etc) or physical retailers (Best Buy, Newegg.com, etc.)
To check out the Free-2-Play games we offer you can visit our storefront here: Free-2-Play Store

Last edited by a moderator:
Because it was black Friday, I don't know what i'm talking about? You obviously are the one who doesn't know what their talking about because it doesn't matter. Seasonal's are still around and they can still do it.
i guess since i bought 4 zelda 3ds xl's at 2 different stores for 150 each i dont know what im talking about...

I'm curious what will happen if I use my trade up coupon for cod ghosts with it being on sale for $49.99.....
I'm also curious about this. I just traded in ghosts on xbox 360 and they gave me a $40 GC along with a coupon code to get $10 off the Xbone version. I would have upgraded to the Xbone version today but I'm going to hold out until tomorrow to see if there is a better deal.

Do you think the Zelda bundle bought this week in Best Buy be price matched tomorrow, since it was $199? Probably not but it never hurts to try tomorrow morning.

Well, okay, you don't necessarily have to jump through hoops.  Just make a new Steam account for that one game.  You'll miss out on any achievements on your account I guess and all that other good stuff, but still not that difficult if you just want to play the game.  

I wish they would get rid of this activation limit DRM bs. They should make it so you can install the game on an unlimited number of machines, but can only start it a limited number of times. That would be better.

Oh that sucks lol. I didn't realize that was how the process works. It doesn't sound like there's a solution on our end that would make the process any easier though :(.

Cheers,

Tony
Now, maybe you know and understand why I feel like I do about DRM...

{Details of my feelings of 3rd Party DRM in Steam-versions incoming...}

And now you know why in games that have additional 3rd-party DRM on the Steam-version, this Steam-policy is one of a few reasons why I will opt for the Non-Steam version...you know, if they actually do exist (in the first place) and when you actually decide to sell them.

Your key policy is great and works on Non-Steam versions, but Steam-versions only allow ONE key (one is specifically for Steam-activation; then after your download, you check the Properties to get the CD Key info that they give you a 3rd-party DRM key - and that's it); and that's all tied to your account b/c of the way Steam handles keys (one per account period).

I've seen, read, and heard the horror stories on forums, message-boards, and other places on the Internet about DRM - and especially about Steam-versions that get whacked w/ extra 3rd-party DRM. Luckily, since I don't reinstall or replay games often and since I often don't change hardware, software, and drivers too much - I just don't run into such DRM BS very often. ;)

I know, I know - I've been very out-spoken and more or less waging war w/ DRM policies all on my own for years on the Net, on forums, on CAG, and especially in this thread in particular. But, it's always the legitimate end-user who buys their games that winds-up getting freaking boned in the end. It certainly ain't the pirates who are getting their games, using a cracked-version w/ cracked-DRM - and likely, don't spend $ on the game at all. Older games w/out DRM, they're often easy to get going w/ a few steps and doing a few things on modern Windows OS's. But, it's just b/c of stupid Non-Steam DRM that's causing the problems out there - and this is the main reason often people will freaking pirate games and/or take the risk to find DRM-cracks that are out in the wild on the Net somewhere.

EDIT:

Okay, added spoiler tags - just for the community in here, since it went on for more paragraphs than I expected. It might make it easier for them to read or ignore; up to them.

Now, maybe you know and understand why I feel like I do about DRM...

{Details of my feelings of 3rd Party DRM in Steam-versions incoming...}

And now you know why in games that have additional 3rd-party DRM on the Steam-version, this is one of a few reasons why I will opt for the Non-Steam version...you know, if they actually do exist (in the first place) and when you actually decide to sell them.

I've seen, read, and heard the horror stories on forums, message-boards, and other places on the Internet about DRM - and especially about Steam-versions that get whacked w/ extra 3rd-party DRM. Luckily, since I don't reinstall or replay games often and since I often don't change hardware, software, and drivers too much - I just don't run into such DRM BS very often. ;)

I know, I know - I've been very out-spoken and more or less waging war w/ DRM policies all on my own for years on the Net, on forums, on CAG, and especially in this thread in particular. But, it's always the legitimate end-user who buys their games that winds-up getting freaking boned in the end. It certainly ain't the pirates who are getting their games, using a cracked-version w/ cracked-DRM - and likely, don't spend $ on the game at all. Older games w/out DRM, they're often easy to get going w/ a few steps and doing a few things on modern Windows OS's. But, it's just b/c of stupid Non-Steam DRM that's causing the problems out there - and this is the main reason often people will freaking pirate games and/or take the risk to find DRM-cracks that are out in the wild on the Net somewhere.

EDIT:

Okay, added spoiler tags - just for the community in here, since it went on for more paragraphs than I expected. It might make it easier for them to read or ignore; up to them.
So are you ok w/DRM then or do you not really like it?

So are you ok w/DRM then or do you not really like it?
{turns back on}

It's no secret - I'm so not a fan.

I do understand why it's done...

...i.e. that having DRM can be a "perception" to some (users who ain't computer-savvy and probably the stockholders and those in suits w/ money that know nothing about DRM, piracy, and the game-industry) that DRM does prevent piracy, but often DRM has a way of actually hurting legitimate users who bought the game in more silly ways than you can think of. Last thing you want to do - is screw over legit customers who spend a good deal of $ (especially at full MSRP or close to it), while the pirates have the ideal-version w/ no DRM strings attached and likely ain't spent a dime on it.

Steam itself is one of the more reasonable DRM's, these days and age - scary thought, I know. In the beginning, it was one of the worst - but then when others tried to do online-activation w/ install-limit DRM (Tages, Securom, SolidShield, etc); account-based DRM; and other ridiculous nonsense w/out giving the end-user any benefits...meanwhile Steam began adding tons of other useful features to their program, they (Steam) began make everybody else using other DRM types look foolish.

It's also no secret - I love when dev's offer up no CEG DRM on Steam-version (i.e. DRM is not attached to game's EXE in Steam-version);

or will offer up a DRM-FREE version and a Steam-version for buyers (like some Indie-dev's do).

{shuts back down}

MysterD, you should publish a book on DRM.  All you'd have to do is compile your posts from this thread.  I'm serious...if you're going to be writing so much about it all the time you might as well get something out of it.

Does anyone know if the 30% off two games coupon is still printing?  Thinking about trying to get one or so to get a couple copies of Payday 2 and trade them over to GS.

Do you think the Zelda bundle bought this week in Best Buy be price matched tomorrow, since it was $199? Probably not but it never hurts to try tomorrow morning.
The chances would have been greater for this happening if Best Buy wouldn't have gotten more in stock for shipping, because up until earlier today the Zelda 3DS XL page had been completely removed from their system. But because they got another shipment in they added the page back, which means that CSR's are able to check the product page and see the original price of $219.99. It's kind of funny, but apparently when the Best Buy online department removes a product page from the system, that page is also gone for the CSR's and so they aren't able to consult the product page for info regarding the product (at least that is what a Best Buy manager told me in store once).

Gonna go buy the Luigi one at Target today so I can be sure and have one for tomorrow, then return and rebuy.

This is fine for Non-Steam games. :D

The problem is this - when you're talking Steam-versions of games, as many have already pointed out here.

On Steam-versions of a said game that ALSO uses other Non-Steam 3rd party DRM that have install-limits, your generous key-giving policy won't matter too much.

You can give us all the keys you want, you're still gonna have to jump through some freaking HOOPS, do a spin, a somersault, and also pray to God all while you're at it.

When 3rd party DRM is involved in a Steam-version, Steam STILL binds ONE key for the activation on Steam; and ONE 3rd-party DRM key to you. That's it. Run out of 3rd-party DRM activations - it's hoop-jumping time.

You'd still have to bother Steam-support and get them to REMOVE the key; and then add the new key. Whether you succeed in getting someone who'll help you or understand that, that's another matter - especially in a timely manner. And we all KNOW many of the horror stories of Steam-support.
dont forget u dont get no cool tony help u after the cs u dont get gabe to helpp or any cool guy like tony either. turns on mysterd and dforce him on steam or he willl mns food nuts and send it to mysterd to wake up hhehh

When 3rd party DRM is involved in a Steam-version, Steam STILL binds ONE key for the activation on Steam; and ONE 3rd-party DRM key to you. That's it. Run out of 3rd-party DRM activations - it's hoop-jumping time.
have you actually tried to use a different cd key on steam version and vice versa?

surprisingly it works most of the time (like in 99% of games)(

also in many cases after some time 3rd party drm is removed from steam versions(but not for retail)

even more frequently after one or two years they change limits to 50-100 or remove limits to avoid support costs

if spectromancer is the issue today, cd keys steam provides work with the non steam version as well(avail as free dload on website)

have you actually tried to use a different cd key on steam version and vice versa?

surprisingly it works most of the time (like in 99% of games)
No, I have not!

And if it ever comes to that, before ever bugging Steam-support - that's certainly a worthwhile suggestion!

Thanks for that idea! :D

[thinks to self]

Why the hell didn't I think of that?

[/thinks to self]

also in many cases after some time 3rd party drm is removed from steam versions(but not for retail)

even more frequently after one or two years they change limits to 50-100 or remove limits to avoid support costs
I wish all companies would do so. Not all do.

I think TDU2 is one of those games where the Steam-version is still stuck w/ the Securom DRM. Can any Steam-version owners actually confirm or deny this?
if spectromancer is the issue today, cd keys steam provides work with the non steam version as well(avail as free dload on website)
That's great that Spectromancer's company wants to support their game, customer-base, and fan-base like that - just in case anything ever goes wrong. All companies should treat their game w/ support, even though not all companies actually do so.

There no way to do that without maybe sending your 3ds to Nintendo I think. Try contacting you them about it. From a quick search it would be good to have a police report, serial number, and have the stolen 3ds registered on your club Nintendo account.
you will have to have a police report with a case number. you will also need the stolen serial number, and your new serial number. i had the same thing happen earlier this year. nintendo transfered over my ambassador status, and gave me eshop credit for stuff that i had bought.

No, I have not!

And if it ever comes to that, before ever bugging Steam-support - that's certainly a worthwhile suggestion!

Thanks for that idea! :D

[thinks to self]

Why the hell didn't I think of that?

[/thinks to self]

I wish all companies would do so. Not all do.

I think TDU2 is one of those games where the Steam-version is still stuck w/ the Securom DRM. Can any Steam-version owners actually confirm or deny this?

That's great that Spectromancer's company wants to support their game, customer-base, and fan-base like that - just in case anything ever goes wrong. All companies should treat their game w/ support, even though not all companies actually do so.
fyuuck gfwl i hate microsoft amazon should buy them and make it work for my account haha cause i cant play my games anymore this is not good never haddd probleem with gfwl till now i blame the games for shittness

fyuuck gfwl i hate microsoft amazon should buy them and make it work for my account haha cause i cant play my games anymore this is not good never haddd probleem with gfwl till now i blame the games for shittness
G4WL is a pain in the freaking butt sometimes to get going.

Sometimes, it's as simple as just log into XBox.com w/ your G4WL/XBL account and accept the newest update in the G4WL/XBL EULA.

Sometimes, it's as simple as reinstalling newest version of G4WL.

Sometimes, it's way worse.

I'm also curious about this. I just traded in ghosts on xbox 360 and they gave me a $40 GC along with a coupon code to get $10 off the Xbone version. I would have upgraded to the Xbone version today but I'm going to hold out until tomorrow to see if there is a better deal.
same here... i didnt realize i would even get a coupon since i didnt buy it from there

The problem with buying Zelda Bundle online from Best Buy is that you will have to price match it via the 800#. I don't think you can price match and online order in store unless it's in store pick up, right?

If that's the case, then I would pass as I know I would have much better luck in store than over the phone.

Amazon could buy valve :idea:
I would love to see that happen, Amazon support is 10 times better than Steam support ever will be.

I wish they would get rid of this activation limit DRM bs. They should make it so you can install the game on an unlimited number of machines, but can only start it a limited number of times. That would be better.
The worst DRM combo is Steam + GFWL + SecuROM, it's a good thing that GFWL is now closing and newer games are abandoning SecuROM.

Wasn't Red Faction Armageddon clearanced out at Gamestop for $5 New like 8 months ago or so? Thats where I got mine new. Glad to see Knack on sale. It will be mine eventually.

All this talk about DRM wears me out.

What are the odds that someone around here is actually going to play the game? Slim

What are the odds you're going to run out of machine installations for a game like Spectromancer? None

All the credit goes to me. I snuck back in Best Buy employee only section and stole their ad

20% off new games for 2 years with gamers club unlocked

Xbox 360 250 GB + Tomb Raider (voucher?) & Halo 4 (disk) for $199.99

Camo 360 Controller $44.99, black controller $39.99

COD Ghosts for XBOX 1 = $49.99

3-Pack of $10 xbox gift cards = $27

Ear Force X2 wireless xbox 360 headset = $79.99

Kinect for xbox 360 = $89.99

$39.99 games: Battlefield 4 (360/ps3/pc)

Need for Speed Rivals (360/ps3/pc)

Madden 25 (360/ps3)

Fifa 14 (360/ps3)

Assassins Creed IV Black Flag (360/ps3/pc)

WWE 2K14 (360/ps3)

Batman Arkham Origins (360/ps3), Wii U & PC versions are $29.99

Bioshock Infinite is $19.99

$29.99 (50% off) all Sims 3 titles.

too lazy to type the rest, just $39.99 off ps3 controllers and disney infinity starter pack $10 off and stuff like that
Okay, I'll type the rest. ;)

Not mentioned above:

:xb1: Buy one of these Xbox One games, get an Xbox Live 12-month card for $39.99:

Battlefield 4 $59.99

Call of Duty: Ghosts $49.99 sale price

Dead Rising 3 $59.99

Forza 5 $59.99

Ryse $59.99

:pc: Buy 1 Get 1 50% Off all Sims 3 PC titles

Disney Infinity stuff:

- Starter Pack: :360: :ps3: :wii: :wiiu: $64.99, :3ds: $54.99

- Playzone $31.99

- Special Edition Silver Capsule with Series 2 Power Disc Packs $19.99

- :br: Wreck-It Ralph Bluray + Wreck-It Ralph DI figure, "save $15" which would be $27.98

"Play Days" PS3 accessories sale:

:ps3: Pulse Wireless Stereo Headset - Elite Edition $124.99

:ps3: Bluetooth Headset - Urban Camo $29.99

:ps3: DualShock 3 wireless controllers $39.99. Colors available are Urban Camo, Gold, Black, Classic White, Blue, and Red

Buy 2 Get 1 Free on all pre-owned games

Xbox One accessories are in the ad but are all at MSRP.

Does anyone know if the 30% off two games coupon is still printing? Thinking about trying to get one or so to get a couple copies of Payday 2 and trade them over to GS.
Those coupons had an expiration date of 12/10. No more new ones with expiration dates still valid have been reported since.

Thinking about picking up Arkham Origins for the Wii U.  For 29.99 and GCU discount, it seems like a good deal, even though everyone seems to feel it is kind of "meh"

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back