Amazon PCDD - Important Update New Community Manager Incoming!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amazon DVG Deals

Official Representative
Feedback
4 (100%)
Hey CAGS,

I’ve got some news I’m both excited and sad to share with you at the same time. I’ll be leaving the Digital Video Games team in Mid-March to join the marketing team for Amazon.com’s Loyalty and Rewards program, Amazon Coins. My boss and I have talked extensively about how to maintain and continue our presence here and across the other communities we’ve created in the past couple of years. To that end I’d like to introduce you to Josh, who take over monitoring, updating, and responding to this thread. Josh will be ramping up over the next couple of weeks, he  will be posting shortly to introduce himself.

Now that the “what’s going on” part of the message is out of the way I want to tell you all how much I love CAG and the posters here. This was the first community I joined when I started this job (anyone still remember that first thread?) and all of you have had a huge hand in shaping how we think about and execute Community Development and Management here at Amazon, which has in turn shaped my career these last two and a half years.

I started to write out a section calling out the regular posters and realized the list would be both overly long and incomplete at the same time. Instead I’d like to thank you all again, you all have my deep and sincere gratitude. I’ll still be around and my gaming accounts aren’t going anywhere so feel free to hit me up anytime you want to chat. I’ll probably still hang out in the thread too :).

Thanks again everyone, let me or Josh know if you have any questions!

The Indie Store has launched!
Amazon.com is launching a storefront dedicated to supporting and promoting PC/Mac/Web-based Indie Games. Our Digital Video Games team is a small group of passionate gamers and we’re all really excited to help Indie developers reach more customers quickly by providing a quick and simple process for bringing their games to market. Additionally we’ll be supporting the Indie Store with a ton of promotions, both at and after launch. Many of these promotions are designed to give the developer the opportunity to maximize their revenue. For example, Amazon is forfeiting all royalties from bundle sales and passing them along directly to the developer, we’ve also created an “Indie Spotlight” program to help customers learn more about the games and developers they love. We view the Indie developers as some of the most creative in the industry and we want to help them continue to create new and innovative experience for customers.

Why we are doing this:

• Allow customers to discover an entirely new category of games on Amazon.com
  • Help developers reach new customers quickly. Our onboarding process is straightforward and we want to sell every Indie game available
  • We want to leverage our strengths to support and help the developers who are driving forward innovation and creativity in the games industry
General Information

Hi CAGs,
I'll be posting deals we're running on Digital Games (PC/Mac, Free to Play, Sony/Microsoft Points/Subs).

I'm also here to answer questions you might have, get you closer to the developers by hosting Q&As, setting up podcasts, live streaming gameplay etc. If I don't respond to a question you have in thread please send me a PM. These ping my email address and make it more likely that I will see your question and respond more quickly.

Cheers,
Tony

FYI. EA Games sold by Amazon will not activate on Steam.
F.A.Q.S.:

1. Does the game I'm buying from Amazon Activate on Steam/Origin/Uplay? What DRM does the game use?

There are two places to identify DRM on a digital video game detail page:

At the top of the page, below the title:

16hm7a8.png

In the "Product Description" section:

r06ykl.jpg

2. Note on Electronic Arts Games - For the most part, EA games sold on Amazon do not activate on Steam. Most activate on Origin.

3. Note on DRM with limited activations:

Our Policy

4. Sometimes I'll do giveaways.

5. I work with developers and publishers to get fun (or at least what I think is fun) content to share with you all. Here are some examples:

a. Check out the Pax Gameplay videos here: Xcom: Enemy Unknown I played Xcom with Jake, the Creative Director for the game, a few months before the game came out Also, on this page, check out the Q&A, also a community driven event.

b. Check out the interview on this page: Borderlands 2 we did this interview at E3 with Randy Pitchford this year.

c. We've partnered with the ++GoodGames Podcast to feature many of the games we carry. They talk to the developers about the game development process, how the games are conceptualized and managed, all kinds of fun stuff. I'm working on putting together full link list and will update when I have it.

What else do we sell?

Xbox Live Points and Subscriptions:

1600 Microsoft Live Points
4000 Microsoft Live Points
12 Month XBOX Live Subscription
3 Month XBOX Live Subscription]
12 Month + 1 XBOX Live Subscription

PSN+ Subscriptions and PSN Points:

$20 PSN Points
$50 PSN Points
12 Month PSN+ Subscription
3 Month PSN+ Subscription

We also have a Free-2-Play store supported by our GameConnect technology. Gameconnect allows you to link your Amazon.com account with free-2-play and MMO accounts so that you can buy things like in game currency, premium game time/subscriptions, in game items, etc. on Amazon.com using your Amazon.com payment options and have this content delivered directly into your game.

5. Price Matching notes: Generally we do not match international retailers (GMG, Gamersgate, etc) or physical retailers (Best Buy, Newegg.com, etc.)
To check out the Free-2-Play games we offer you can visit our storefront here: Free-2-Play Store

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Games Owned: 342
  • Account worth: $3708.73
  • Last update - 06 Jan 2014 13:39:12 
  • Hours Played - 5015.90
Estimated hours to beat all main stories: 2924.56 - Progress: 171.51%

Estimated hours for total completion: 2924.56 Progress: 55.75%

Hmm. I could actually use that account value money...

My account is independently certified as a $5,000+ value but I'm willing to let it go for only $4,000 because I know you CAGs enjoy your deals.  I'll be accepting briefcases full of cash throughout the day.

One thing people dont take into account are the humble bundles. Idk about you, but I only buy the bundle for one, maybe two, games. The others just sit there, but I have no intention of ever playing them. Or at the very least, ill simply check the odd games out for a few minutes each. But this implies that we have "unfinished" hours to play. No, not really.

I have a backlog as all of you, but like all of you, it's massively distorted and a poor representation of our true gaming habits via this algorithm thing.

One thing people dont take into account are the humble bundles. Idk about you, but I only buy the bundle for one, maybe two, games. The others just sit there, but I have no intention of ever playing them. Or at the very least, ill simply check the odd games out for a few minutes each. But this implies that we have "unfinished" hours to play. No, not really.

I have a backlog as all of you, but like all of you, it's massively distorted and a poor representation of our true gaming habits via this algorithm thing.
That algorithm canSUKtheFAC

<SNIP>

BTW2: it's not quite X-Files, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, and it'd be tough to relate it to Shadowrun or Firefly, but I want to say TSW captures shades of awesome from all those, like, if you liked any of those, you'll probably find something to like in TSW.
I can't quote the sig, but liked for this:

" Better studios need to rip off Fort Zombie."

Once the amazon EC sale is over, I have a New Years resolution to not buy anything outside of Humble Bundles until the next Black Friday sale.

You will probably see less of me until then. You guys have made this holiday very fun for me.

Wish me luck!!
Hey, that's my same resolution! Good luck!

This also tells me that my oldest backlogged game is Bioshock 2, purchased July 2, 2011 and still not installed/played. :whistle2:k

Even more tellingly, it was the 4th game I ever bought on Steam.
My 4th purchased game on Steam (just purchased on Steam, not retail or elsewhere) was Cthulhu Saves the World & Breath of Death VII. I did play some of the first one. I did pay way too much. 50% off, I think.

$675? Pfft, that's crazy money. Only $414 here, true CAG style.
$173 here. Though that isn't counting items bought as gifts and not yet redeemed. It looks like I've spent just over $100 on gifts, some of which were given away and some of which were for trades and some of which I've redeemed.

I wonder what that calculator does with games bought as gifts and then redeemed.

The really scary thing though is that before March of last year I only had 20 games...

My only requirement for liking a game is that it is like Pinball FX2 and called Pinball FX2.
Considering I spent a total of about $12 on Steam in the winter sale and about $10 of that was Pinball FX2 tables, I have to concur.

In March of '12 I bought Portal 2. 66% off. $10. Kind of expensive, but I had been waiting for a sale as I wanted to play it. (Looking at the price history, that was the low at the time.) It was the third thing I had purchased from Steam. (I also had a couple of items from retail.) I did play it, almost immediately. In April I grabbed Mount & Blade, and played it right away. The rest of that spring I bought a few more items from Steam, some of which had been or would be in bundles. (I wasn't yet doing bundles or here on CAG.) That July, in the summer sale, I grabbed The Witcher, Fallout 3, and Plants vs Zombies. Only the last one has been played. Largely as I grabbed Humble Bundle V on the same day. And then got on CAG. And then grabbed more bundles.

Lots more bundles.

Lots and lots more bundles:

Games owned 685
Games not played 606 (88%)
Hours spent 1,045.2h
Account worth $7418.76

And one no one else is including, but an interesting one considering that it took over seven years to buy my 4th game on Steam:

Profile creation 9 years ago

Games owned    829
Games not played    622 (75%)
Hours spent    983.6h
Account worth    $9187.46

Profile created in 2010 (when Portal was free), but my first purchase on steam was around April 2012.

And I still have like 30 games in my inventory waiting to be part of my backlog. What a waste of money....

PS: Any more games in the EC List? lol

I noticed that Battefield 2142 is on the EC, but it's still full price. While not as low as I expected from the preview list, Origin is selling it for $8.99 at the moment. I submitted a price match via the Amazon page, but if that doesn't go through I thought it was worth point out the sale at Origin, which lasts through tomorrow.

My Steam Profile (from SteamDB)

• Worth: $8503.43
  • Games owned: 680
  • Games not played: 450
  • Percentage: 66%
  • Hours spent: 1,415.7h

My account is over 10 years old, and people own more and have done more then me. I feel like less of a man now.

I noticed that Battefield 2142 is on the EC, but it's still full price. While not as low as I expected from the preview list, Origin is selling it for $8.99 at the moment. I submitted a price match via the Amazon page, but if that doesn't go through I thought it was worth point out the sale at Origin, which lasts through tomorrow.
Amazon doesn't match publishers (Origin, Ubi Store, etc) so they won't do anything there but if they're not showing a sale price from the EC list it's worth letting them know anyway.

If you really want to scare yourselves, see how long your backlog is: http://steamplaytime.appspot.com/

"Target's Steam library would take approx. 9364.35 hours to complete.
That's 390.18 days!"
"Progress: 9.11%"
Over 8500 hours to go...
​That's an even more ridiculous number than the $-value. I'm not going to play the rubbish indie titles... or rubbish AAA titles. Before indie bundles that could have been an interesting number.

Contrast this to console gamers who want to beat their new game quickly to maximize it's trade-in-value. We're already picking up stuff good and cheap

I don't think anyone is taking the backlog/account value thing seriously.
Or time-to-beat. ;)

Figured I would get in on this...
My Steam Profile (from SteamDB)

• Worth: $5281.08
  • Games owned: 427
  • Games not played: 397
  • Percentage: 93%
  • Hours spent: 299.3h
No idling and whatnot.

**My Steam Profile** *(from [SteamDB]())*

* *Worth:* $12061.44

* *Games owned:* 1035

* *Games not played:* 702

* *Percentage:* 68%

* *Hours spent:* 1,558.6h

Lots of idling to get cards!

• Games owned 1197 
  • Games not played 963 (80%)
  • Hours spent 2,614.9h 
  • Account worth $13564.17

15% played for cards.. means I played about 5% jeez.

Ah crap I forgot to order Crysis 3 so I ended up missing out.

The current prices and sales are a little underwhelming if I must say :(

If that's all the will be (in the OP), then phew... That's bad. I should have grabbed Crysis 3 but I was waiting to see how it all shaped up. Sad I missed it... I wouldn't call any list that has Dead Space 3 or Sim City a "good" choice list. Or some editor needs fired.

Is that it? If so... :/

y u not buy bundles
None of the games ever look good. I look at each bundle that comes up and have decided against each one except for that Meat Boy/Bit Trip Runner one. And I mostly bought that just to get in on the bundle buying craze.

I would buy a bundle if I wanted it, I just don't want any of them. Oh I bought the Alan Wake one too, to get American Nightmare.

If that's all the will be (in the OP), then phew... That's bad. I should have grabbed Crysis 3 but I was waiting to see how it all shaped up. Sad I missed it... I wouldn't call any list that has Dead Space 3 or Sim City a "good" choice list. Or some editor needs fired.

Is that it? If so... :/
As has been said a myriad of times in the thread, the deals will change throughout the month, with new ones getting added all the time. The list in the OP is just what Tony was able to get during the holidays, some publishers weren't able to reply early because they were out of the office.

This might sound dumb, but I'm disappointing that the list is ONLY PC games. Since I got my credits for buying PSN credit, don't you think they should realize that I am a PS gamer?

Looking forward to Brothers.  Luckily we'll (hopefully) know what Humble brings next before Brothers price flips.

I liked Dead Space 3 more than 2. Neither one captured the tension of the first one, but the second game seemed to overcompensate by making enemies so fast that there was never a moment when one wasn't latched onto your face requiring a button prompt. It's like they were going for "a different kind of scary" that was really just irritating. At least in the third game you could actually shoot the monsters instead of just spamming the boot.

This might sound dumb, but I'm disappointing that the list is ONLY PC games. Since I got my credits for buying PSN credit, don't you think they should realize that I am a PS gamer?
I don't think it's dumb, I would think wherever you earn credits would allow you to spend those credits on the same kind of software.

If you don't have a gaming PC I would look into some less intensive games for the PC or maybe trade some games?

On the fence about Bioshock, what's the lowest been so far? It seems like a good deal for 8.20 but I'm not sure if I should wait since I have plenty of games to play for a long time.

On the fence about Bioshock, what's the lowest been so far? It seems like a good deal for 8.20 but I'm not sure if I should wait since I have plenty of games to play for a long time.
Next round of sales I would guess it would be in the 7.50 range

If you're going to play it now it's a good deal, you could potentially save 70 cents if you wait, which some here would day it's worth it to wait while others (like me) say ehhh, seventy shmenity

The lowest I have seen it was at Gamefly. The catch was you had to buy at least 2 other games (3 for $18). I picked it up along with Brave New World and BL2.

It was $8 from GMG and Gamefly ($10+20% off codes). Amazon had a first EC day glitch where you could get it for $5 for a short time and there's been some bundles where it was under $8 assuming you divided the cost evenly. Not that I think Bioshock 1, Bioshock 2 & Infinite should be divided evenly these days.

The OP should be edited say that the following is not the complete list of titles.

I like this site and yah guys, but I can't live here or remember everything. If the OP was updated to say that, myself (and others) wouldn't continue to ask. I can't skim pages to catch every detail.

That said, hoping for a sub $10 metro. And Sim City is one of the games of the year... Just opposite of best.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back