Amazon PCDD - Important Update New Community Manager Incoming!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amazon DVG Deals

Official Representative
Feedback
4 (100%)
Hey CAGS,

I’ve got some news I’m both excited and sad to share with you at the same time. I’ll be leaving the Digital Video Games team in Mid-March to join the marketing team for Amazon.com’s Loyalty and Rewards program, Amazon Coins. My boss and I have talked extensively about how to maintain and continue our presence here and across the other communities we’ve created in the past couple of years. To that end I’d like to introduce you to Josh, who take over monitoring, updating, and responding to this thread. Josh will be ramping up over the next couple of weeks, he  will be posting shortly to introduce himself.

Now that the “what’s going on” part of the message is out of the way I want to tell you all how much I love CAG and the posters here. This was the first community I joined when I started this job (anyone still remember that first thread?) and all of you have had a huge hand in shaping how we think about and execute Community Development and Management here at Amazon, which has in turn shaped my career these last two and a half years.

I started to write out a section calling out the regular posters and realized the list would be both overly long and incomplete at the same time. Instead I’d like to thank you all again, you all have my deep and sincere gratitude. I’ll still be around and my gaming accounts aren’t going anywhere so feel free to hit me up anytime you want to chat. I’ll probably still hang out in the thread too :).

Thanks again everyone, let me or Josh know if you have any questions!

The Indie Store has launched!
Amazon.com is launching a storefront dedicated to supporting and promoting PC/Mac/Web-based Indie Games. Our Digital Video Games team is a small group of passionate gamers and we’re all really excited to help Indie developers reach more customers quickly by providing a quick and simple process for bringing their games to market. Additionally we’ll be supporting the Indie Store with a ton of promotions, both at and after launch. Many of these promotions are designed to give the developer the opportunity to maximize their revenue. For example, Amazon is forfeiting all royalties from bundle sales and passing them along directly to the developer, we’ve also created an “Indie Spotlight” program to help customers learn more about the games and developers they love. We view the Indie developers as some of the most creative in the industry and we want to help them continue to create new and innovative experience for customers.

Why we are doing this:

• Allow customers to discover an entirely new category of games on Amazon.com
  • Help developers reach new customers quickly. Our onboarding process is straightforward and we want to sell every Indie game available
  • We want to leverage our strengths to support and help the developers who are driving forward innovation and creativity in the games industry
General Information

Hi CAGs,
I'll be posting deals we're running on Digital Games (PC/Mac, Free to Play, Sony/Microsoft Points/Subs).

I'm also here to answer questions you might have, get you closer to the developers by hosting Q&As, setting up podcasts, live streaming gameplay etc. If I don't respond to a question you have in thread please send me a PM. These ping my email address and make it more likely that I will see your question and respond more quickly.

Cheers,
Tony

FYI. EA Games sold by Amazon will not activate on Steam.
F.A.Q.S.:

1. Does the game I'm buying from Amazon Activate on Steam/Origin/Uplay? What DRM does the game use?

There are two places to identify DRM on a digital video game detail page:

At the top of the page, below the title:

16hm7a8.png

In the "Product Description" section:

r06ykl.jpg

2. Note on Electronic Arts Games - For the most part, EA games sold on Amazon do not activate on Steam. Most activate on Origin.

3. Note on DRM with limited activations:

Our Policy

4. Sometimes I'll do giveaways.

5. I work with developers and publishers to get fun (or at least what I think is fun) content to share with you all. Here are some examples:

a. Check out the Pax Gameplay videos here: Xcom: Enemy Unknown I played Xcom with Jake, the Creative Director for the game, a few months before the game came out Also, on this page, check out the Q&A, also a community driven event.

b. Check out the interview on this page: Borderlands 2 we did this interview at E3 with Randy Pitchford this year.

c. We've partnered with the ++GoodGames Podcast to feature many of the games we carry. They talk to the developers about the game development process, how the games are conceptualized and managed, all kinds of fun stuff. I'm working on putting together full link list and will update when I have it.

What else do we sell?

Xbox Live Points and Subscriptions:

1600 Microsoft Live Points
4000 Microsoft Live Points
12 Month XBOX Live Subscription
3 Month XBOX Live Subscription]
12 Month + 1 XBOX Live Subscription

PSN+ Subscriptions and PSN Points:

$20 PSN Points
$50 PSN Points
12 Month PSN+ Subscription
3 Month PSN+ Subscription

We also have a Free-2-Play store supported by our GameConnect technology. Gameconnect allows you to link your Amazon.com account with free-2-play and MMO accounts so that you can buy things like in game currency, premium game time/subscriptions, in game items, etc. on Amazon.com using your Amazon.com payment options and have this content delivered directly into your game.

5. Price Matching notes: Generally we do not match international retailers (GMG, Gamersgate, etc) or physical retailers (Best Buy, Newegg.com, etc.)
To check out the Free-2-Play games we offer you can visit our storefront here: Free-2-Play Store

Last edited by a moderator:
Still holding steady with 4 coupons left... but I'm not seeing allot I want late in the month so I'm wondering if I should just grab some of my maybe deals before they expire...

Does anyone know if we still expect allot of new deals to happen...? (Sorry, I try to read the thread daily but sometimes I just get a chance to skin it... and check ashes' sig post.)
I've got 11 left. :( The only games I'm interested in at this point that have been in the sale at all are Crysis 3 (but only if 1 goes on sale) and C&C Ultimate but I feel like $5 may be too much since I don't know that I'd play any of the older iterations. I'm really hoping some other devs get involved in this or Tony pulls off some more sweet bundles, because right now there's just no impulse buy temptation at all for me.

Still holding steady with 4 coupons left... but I'm not seeing allot I want late in the month so I'm wondering if I should just grab some of my maybe deals before they expire...

Does anyone know if we still expect allot of new deals to happen...? (Sorry, I try to read the thread daily but sometimes I just get a chance to skin it... and check ashes' sig post.)
Oh we expect it to happen all right, or else this little guy

409209-bigthumbnail.jpg

is going to meet this guy

WoodenSpikedWarClub20.jpg

BL1 was great and completely sucked me in like no game had for a long time. I just played it a few months back, though, and the thought of going back to the horribad quest tracking system just pisses me off. I hate it when games can't track quests properly. I don't want to have to keep switching to the quest screen and toggle through my quests, looking back at the map every time, just to see if there's any quest-related stuff in an area. BL1 (and 2 from what I'm reading) just forces such an incredible amount of backtracking for questing if you don't do that, but it's so tedious to have to do so.

If BL2 had fixed the quests, or if somebody had put out a mod to fix it, I'd buy it even at $30. As it stands, I'm at a firm $10 for BL2 GOTY. Maybe if I wait that long somebody will have fixed it with a mod. Maybe.
Well, BL2 allows you to work on any quests you have, even if you aren't tracking it as your main one.

And there isn't as much backtracking for the most part. The fast travel system has a lot more waypoints so you don't have to walk all the way across a region to get around.

As it stands, I'm at a firm $10 for BL2 GOTY.
That's a bit crazy, it's an excellent game with probably over 50, maybe even 100 hrs of content including the DLC. If you have any interest in that at all then waiting for $10 doesn't make sense to me. The Tiny Tina DLC alone would be a good deal for $10.

Trusty, just buy it. If you like Borderlands then I don't see how you'd regret spending $25 on all that content, unless of course it dropped by $10 the next week. As for not buying any more games for the rest of the year, now THAT is crazy.

Well, BL2 allows you to work on any quests you have, even if you aren't tracking it as your main one.

And there isn't as much backtracking for the most part. The fast travel system has a lot more waypoints so you don't have to walk all the way across a region to get around.
BL1 also allowed you to work multiple quests, it just didn't allow you to see quest markers for more than one at a time, which is what I'm talking about.

That's a bit crazy, it's an excellent game with probably over 50, maybe even 100 hrs of content including the DLC. If you have any interest in that at all then waiting for $10 doesn't make sense to me. The Tiny Tina DLC alone would be a good deal for $10.
I played BL1 GOTY for about 40 hours. Beat the main game, the zombie DLC, and then finished off the 2nd story DLC. Just got too fed up with the lack of transportation and the annoying questing issue slightly into the 3rd dlc (the claptrap assassin one.) Even with more waypoints, unless they allow you to show multiple quests on the map at once then you're still stuck with the problem I described.

Whatever that questing issue is, I must have just dealt with it cause I don't recall any major problem like you're describing. But different people have different pet peeves so I'm sure your frustration is warranted.

BL1 also allowed you to work multiple quests, it just didn't allow you to see quest markers for more than one at a time, which is what I'm talking about.

I played BL1 GOTY for about 40 hours. Beat the main game, the zombie DLC, and then finished off the 2nd story DLC. Just got too fed up with the lack of transportation and the annoying questing issue slightly into the 3rd dlc (the claptrap assassin one.) Even with more waypoints, unless they allow you to show multiple quests on the map at once then you're still stuck with the problem I described.
Personally, I don't see the quest marker as a problem. Skyrim, for example, allows multiple simultaneous quest tracking/marking. I always find myself going through the journal to de-tick recently acquired quests because it throws markers all over the place and I find it confusing to look at the map or compass. Add on to that that I run with no HUD 80% of the time. Single quest marking in BL/BL2 seems just fine with me.

Whatever that questing issue is, I must have just dealt with it cause I don't recall any major problem like you're describing. But different people have different pet peeves so I'm sure your frustration is warranted.
The issue was that if you went and got a set of quests (sometimes you could have around 10 active quests at a time) the map would only show one quest at a time. So if you have a collection quest (like that science chick's tapes being scattered over a map) and need to go everywhere on the map for it, and another collection quest for parts of a gun which requires the same, you either have to do one at a time (meaning items in the same area for the other quest require returning to the area for) or you need to go into the quest system periodically and switch quests to see if the other quests you have are in the same area. It's just a very tedious approach. What should happen instead is that if you have 10 active quests in a particular map, the map should show the points of interest for all 10 quests at a time. That way you can easily explore, grab everything in an area, and move on in your exploration.

Personally, I don't see the quest marker as a problem. Skyrim, for example, allows multiple simultaneous quest tracking/marking. I always find myself going through the journal to de-tick recently acquired quests because it throws markers all over the place and I find it confusing to look at the map or compass. Add on to that that I run with no HUD 80% of the time. Single quest marking in BL/BL2 seems just fine with me.
That's fine. That's a personal preference, though, and Skyrim's approach allows you to do questing the way you want, but it also allows for my approach (which is to get all the quests assigned, then go perform all of them at once as efficiently as possible.) BL doesn't give the option, it just forces people to either use your approach or constantly switch between a long list of area quests to see if there's anything nearby.

The issue was that if you went and got a set of quests (sometimes you could have around 10 active quests at a time) the map would only show one quest at a time.
There really isn't allot of collecting quests in BL2... That's not to say there is collecting stuff to do, there is, but its mostly tied to Badass Rank than to a quest marker. (Now, tracking Badass stuff can be annoying as hell but its such an add on that if you don't think its worth doing that its not worth doing and you won't even realize its missing.)

In the trade thread I saw a BL2 GotY for 20 bucks... If you really loved the first one, minus the one problem, than you really should snag it now... :D

That's fine. That's a personal preference, though, and Skyrim's approach allows you to do questing the way you want, but it also allows for my approach (which is to get all the quests assigned, then go perform all of them at once as efficiently as possible.) BL doesn't give the option, it just forces people to either use your approach or constantly switch between a long list of area quests to see if there's anything nearby.
Understood. I can't remember BL1 because it's been a while, but BL2 does group it's quests by area. If you're in a given zone, any available quest (discovered and undiscovered) will be grouped under the locations heading. So, at least your not randomly searching through the entire quest log.

The issue was that if you went and got a set of quests (sometimes you could have around 10 active quests at a time) the map would only show one quest at a time. So if you have a collection quest (like that science chick's tapes being scattered over a map) and need to go everywhere on the map for it, and another collection quest for parts of a gun which requires the same, you either have to do one at a time (meaning items in the same area for the other quest require returning to the area for) or you need to go into the quest system periodically and switch quests to see if the other quests you have are in the same area. It's just a very tedious approach. What should happen instead is that if you have 10 active quests in a particular map, the map should show the points of interest for all 10 quests at a time. That way you can easily explore, grab everything in an area, and move on in your exploration.
Oh yes, I sure wish more games had HUGE pointers and arrows telling me exactly where I should go and what I should do. Modern gaming is so damn hard! Now if I could just remember what key to press to crouch..........

There really isn't allot of collecting quests in BL2... That's not to say there is collecting stuff to do, there is, but its mostly tied to Badass Rank than to a quest marker. (Now, tracking Badass stuff can be annoying as hell but its such an add on that if you don't think its worth doing that its not worth doing and you won't even realize its missing.)

In the trade thread I saw a BL2 GotY for 20 bucks... If you really loved the first one, minus the one problem, than you really should snag it now... :D
I think I have around 200 unused Badass tokens. Never feel the need to use them, thus never feel the need to purposely acquire them.

Oh yes, I sure wish more games had HUGE pointers and arrows telling me exactly where I should go and what I should do. Modern gaming is so damn hard! Now if I could just remember what key to press to crouch..........
For linear games I don't think it's necessary, but for open-world stuff where you're trying to accomplish everything? Yeah, it's a big help. I've got around 300 games in my backlog between PC, PS3, and Vita. I like having fun with games, but I also like getting them done so I can move on to the next one. Constant backtracking makes me feel like I'm wasting my time and I don't like that.

I get what you're saying, I remember the game being that way, I just didn't let it ruin the game for me. If I knew I had multiple quests in an area I would just make sure I did them one after the other, if I wanted to clear it all out at the same time. It's not ideal but to me it wasn't a big deal, I dealt with it and loved the game. Like I said before, it obviously bothered you more than me so I'm not trying to say you shouldn't have a problem with it, just that I don't think it ruins the game or makes Borderlands 2 GOTY only worth $10.

Sorry for kind of rambling, probably could have structured this post better.

I get what you're saying, I remember the game being that way, I just didn't let it ruin the game for me. If I knew I had multiple quests in an area I would just make sure I did them one after the other, if I wanted to clear it all out at the same time. It's not ideal but to me it wasn't a big deal, I dealt with it and loved the game. Like I said before, it obviously bothered you more than me so I'm not trying to say you shouldn't have a problem with it, just that I don't think it ruins the game or makes Borderlands 2 GOTY only worth $10.

Sorry for kind of rambling, probably could have structured this post better.
The first one was an insane value since I picked it up for $7.50. If I hadn't just finished it recently, and didn't have such a huge backlog, I'd still pick it up around the $15-20 range since I know I'll get a lot of playtime out of it. Waiting isn't entirely about that one issue. Plus after the EC the plan is to not buy any non-HB games for the rest of the year anyway. I'll be surprised if the game isn't regularly in the 10-15 range come early next year. Hopefully at that point I'll have caught up enough to feel like buying a bunch of games is appropriate again. Having said that, I still bought almost everything I've slight interest in in the past winter sale to help get me through temptation for the next year. :)

And I keep forgetting that I have BL2 from PS+. Though I don't know that I'd want to play it with a controller. I really prefer kb+m for FPS. In the first game I was all headshots, all the time, and I'm not sure how well the controller allows for that type of behavior.

Trusty, just buy it. If you like Borderlands then I don't see how you'd regret spending $25 on all that content, unless of course it dropped by $10 the next week. As for not buying any more games for the rest of the year, now THAT is crazy.
As crazy as buying super cheap games even though I already have over 200 I haven't finished? ;)

I doubt I'll be able to stop, but I'm gonna try.

If nothing better comes along by the end of January, I think I might just pull the trigger on BL2:GOTY. If I do, it will go up in my play queue for sure.

Funny, a year ago when I just had a 360, I'd buy BL2:GOTY for $25 with no hesitation. :)

One man rages against BL1's one-quest-waypoint-shown-at-a-time.... most others don't get hung up on it, and enjoy the fuck out of the game.

So i dont know how tech savvy any of you are, but i was looking to upgrade my cpu sometime in the near future. I currently have a phenom 2 x4 965. Now i was wondering should i stick with amds current fx line, wait for their new apus, or just go with intel.

Any help with this would be appeciated.

If it helps at all i have a r9 290 as my current gpu.
Depends on your motherboard. Assuming it's AM3, you're pretty SOL for a CPU upgrade. (I'm in a similar siutation with a Phenom II X3 720 BE.) Your CPU is still close to AMD's best for Gaming. Your real upgrade is switching to an intel i5 or better.

Somebody talk me off the ledge. I'm tempted to get Borderlands 2 GOTY edition for $25 after coupon, and stop buying games the rest of the year. My rational is I can either pay $25 for one game I really want, or 5-6 games I sorta want but never play.
BL1 is awesome. BL2 is awesome. Fundamentally they're not that different (though the character classes and maps are different).

I have 130 hours in BL1 GOTY and 150 hours in BL2 + Season Pass + Gaige/Psycho. If you really like BL there's a lot of value.

What didn't you finish in BL1? DLC1 (Zombies) was good. DLC2 (bank+arena) isn't worth doing alone. DLC3 (Knoxx) is fuck ing awesome. DLC4 (Claptrap assassin) is a letdown but does an okay job of recap-closure (just avoid some of the worst collection achieves ever).

In both BL1 & BL2 PT2 (Playthough #2) is different and harder than PT1. BL1 has overleveling issues if you do side-quests, WillowTree (save editor) helps with that.

In BL2, PT3 is even different yet.

I really prefer kb+m for FPS. In the first game I was all headshots, all the time, and I'm not sure how well the controller allows for that type of behavior.
Precision aiming in FPS's is near the top of my list of reasons I prefer PC gaming. (And yes, I know there are mouse options for consoles, but...pfft.)

If it helps clarify things, I'm a "do everything" kind of player for a lot of games. In the ~42 hours or so I played BL1, I completed (I think) every quest in the main game, DLC1, and DLC3 (which was sooo annoyingly huge with the lack of transportation) in my first playthrough. With that in mind, plus the problem with over-leveling in the first game, backtracking became a huge issue due to the time requirement and constantly having to curb-stomp weak enemies. If the game leveled properly so that travel wasn't such a boring chore a lot of time, this probably wouldn't have been near the annoyance it was.

One man rages against BL1's one-quest-waypoint-shown-at-a-time.... most others don't get hung up on it, and enjoy the fuck out of the game.

Depends on your motherboard. Assuming it's AM3, you're pretty SOL for a CPU upgrade. (I'm in a similar siutation with a Phenom II X3 720 BE.) Your CPU is still close to AMD's best for Gaming. Your real upgrade is switching to an intel i5 or better.

BL1 is awesome. BL2 is awesome. Fundamentally they're not that different (though the character classes and maps are different).
I have 130 hours in BL1 GOTY and 150 hours in BL2 + Season Pass + Gaige/Psycho. If you really like BL there's a lot of value.

What didn't you finish in BL1? DLC1 (Zombies) was good. DLC2 (bank+arena) isn't worth doing alone. DLC3 (Knoxx) is fuck ing awesome. DLC4 (Claptrap assassin) is a letdown but does an okay job of recap-closure (just avoid some of the worst collection achieves ever).

In both BL1 & BL2 PT2 (Playthough #2) is different and harder than PT1. BL1 has overleveling issues if you do side-quests, WillowTree (save editor) helps with that.

In BL2, PT3 is even different yet.
I finished the main game and the Zombie DLC. Just never finished the other DLC. I don't plan on finishing Mad Moxxie's DLC though. Too much of a grind.

I finished the main game and the Zombie DLC. Just never finished the other DLC. I don't plan on finishing Mad Moxxie's DLC though. Too much of a grind.
If you like loot, Knoxx is where it's at as far as BL1 goes. I admit to several hours of vault door glitch runs in my never ending hunt for Legendaries.

If it helps clarify things, I'm a "do everything" kind of player for a lot of games. In the ~42 hours or so I played BL1, I completed (I think) every quest in the main game, DLC1, and DLC3 (which was sooo annoyingly huge with the lack of transportation) in my first playthrough. With that in mind, plus the problem with over-leveling in the first game, backtracking became a huge issue due to the time requirement and constantly having to curb-stomp weak enemies. If the game leveled properly so that travel wasn't such a boring chore a lot of time, this probably wouldn't have been near the annoyance it was.
If you didn't play PT2 you're missing the core of the game, imo. This applies in BL1 and BL2. In fact I've considered using the save editor to start a new character at the start of PT2 to avoid the easy-tedium of PT1.

Borderlands 2 is better than BL1 to a degree sufficient to justify blowing off the rest of the BL1 DLC and just playing BL2.

That said, not buying games the rest of the year is just cray-cray. You know it's January 15th, right?
I actually enjoyed BL1 a lot more, Gameplay was more enjoyable there. BL2 was ridiculously frustrating on single player. It wasn't challenging , it was just hard. Also , BL1 has some great DLC , such as General Knoxx.

If you like loot, Knoxx is where it's at as far as BL1 goes. I admit to several hours of vault door glitch runs in my never ending hunt for Legendaries.
Quick tip: If you hate the 5+ minute trips back to town every time you complete a quest in Knoxx, exit and re-enter the game to be teleported back to the beginning.

OTOH, never exit if you're in the middle of something away from town, because you'll have to spend 5+ minutes driving back to where you were when you return. -_-

If you didn't play PT2 you're missing the core of the game, imo. This applies in BL1 and BL2. In fact I've considered using the save editor to start a new character at the start of PT2 to avoid the easy-tedium of PT1.
That might be useful when I get to BL2. I don't want to spend the time of running through a game twice, so I'd never actually do PT2 if I had to play the game the first time to get to it.

I willowed Roland in BL1 after about 225 hours with the other 3. If I was smart (which I apparently am not) I would have created a post PT1 save for each character in BL2. So, now I'm just short of 400 hours in BL2 after 12 runs through a combined 6 characters in PT1/PT2. I embrace the grind.

There's a bunch of other CAG groups, someone should start up a BL CAG group.

Not me though, because I'm anti-social and irresponsible.
Is there a specific forum for game groups? I'm too lazy to look.

I might start one for BL1 + 2 if I go back and do Knoxx and Claptrap's Revolution.

My main reason for wanting to play BL2 now is a fear the multiplayer community will be dead but he time I pick it up :(
Unless you wait a REALLY long time, this isn't something you need to worry about. It's still a very popular game, and considering they're STILL releasing dlc, it dying out isn't something that's gonna happen anytime soon

Edit: Wow, an indie royale bundle that's not completely horrid. Too bad it's 5.32...6 more cents than what i paid for humble bundle

Is there a specific forum for game groups? I'm too lazy to look.

I might start one for BL1 + 2 if I go back and do Knoxx and Claptrap's Revolution.
I'm not sure. I'm so lazy, I almost didn't feel like replying to your post.

I think Claptrap's DLC, like ashes commented, is probably some of the worst fetch questing/collecting (well, that and Braaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaains), but Knoxx (aside from a lack of fast travel) is fairly awesome.

Hey guys,

I had to go home early yesterday due to illness. I'm still home feeling super crappy so I will likely be sleeping most of the day. Just a heads up.

Cheers,

Tony

BL1 does multiplayer through Gamespy.  Apparently Gamespy was shutdown last year.  There are many reports of BL1 coop through GameRanger.

BL2 has nice SteamWorks integration making coop only a single button-mash away.

Hey guys,

I had to go home early yesterday due to illness. I'm still home feeling super crappy so I will likely be sleeping most of the day. Just a heads up.

Cheers,

Tony
I liked your post not because I'm glad you're sick (cause I am too), but appreciate the update.

It's not mono is it? ;)

I'm not sure. I'm so lazy, I almost didn't feel like replying to your post.

I think Claptrap's DLC, like ashes commented, is probably some of the worst fetch questing/collecting (well, that and Braaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaains), but Knoxx (aside from a lack of fast travel) is fairly awesome.
I'm going to nitpick here... Braaaaaaaaaaains only required a little extra effort, you just needed to headshot enough Zombies... so while I had to put a little extra effort and time into it, it was fair and you properly felt progression toward the 500(?) goal.. DLC4 collection drops just have a really fuck ing miserable drop rate (you can kill dozens of the right enemy without seeing a drop)... to actually complete would require tons of grinding with no sense of progress.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back