Amazon PCDD - Important Update New Community Manager Incoming!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amazon DVG Deals

Official Representative
Feedback
4 (100%)
Hey CAGS,

I’ve got some news I’m both excited and sad to share with you at the same time. I’ll be leaving the Digital Video Games team in Mid-March to join the marketing team for Amazon.com’s Loyalty and Rewards program, Amazon Coins. My boss and I have talked extensively about how to maintain and continue our presence here and across the other communities we’ve created in the past couple of years. To that end I’d like to introduce you to Josh, who take over monitoring, updating, and responding to this thread. Josh will be ramping up over the next couple of weeks, he  will be posting shortly to introduce himself.

Now that the “what’s going on” part of the message is out of the way I want to tell you all how much I love CAG and the posters here. This was the first community I joined when I started this job (anyone still remember that first thread?) and all of you have had a huge hand in shaping how we think about and execute Community Development and Management here at Amazon, which has in turn shaped my career these last two and a half years.

I started to write out a section calling out the regular posters and realized the list would be both overly long and incomplete at the same time. Instead I’d like to thank you all again, you all have my deep and sincere gratitude. I’ll still be around and my gaming accounts aren’t going anywhere so feel free to hit me up anytime you want to chat. I’ll probably still hang out in the thread too :).

Thanks again everyone, let me or Josh know if you have any questions!

The Indie Store has launched!
Amazon.com is launching a storefront dedicated to supporting and promoting PC/Mac/Web-based Indie Games. Our Digital Video Games team is a small group of passionate gamers and we’re all really excited to help Indie developers reach more customers quickly by providing a quick and simple process for bringing their games to market. Additionally we’ll be supporting the Indie Store with a ton of promotions, both at and after launch. Many of these promotions are designed to give the developer the opportunity to maximize their revenue. For example, Amazon is forfeiting all royalties from bundle sales and passing them along directly to the developer, we’ve also created an “Indie Spotlight” program to help customers learn more about the games and developers they love. We view the Indie developers as some of the most creative in the industry and we want to help them continue to create new and innovative experience for customers.

Why we are doing this:

• Allow customers to discover an entirely new category of games on Amazon.com
  • Help developers reach new customers quickly. Our onboarding process is straightforward and we want to sell every Indie game available
  • We want to leverage our strengths to support and help the developers who are driving forward innovation and creativity in the games industry
General Information

Hi CAGs,
I'll be posting deals we're running on Digital Games (PC/Mac, Free to Play, Sony/Microsoft Points/Subs).

I'm also here to answer questions you might have, get you closer to the developers by hosting Q&As, setting up podcasts, live streaming gameplay etc. If I don't respond to a question you have in thread please send me a PM. These ping my email address and make it more likely that I will see your question and respond more quickly.

Cheers,
Tony

FYI. EA Games sold by Amazon will not activate on Steam.
F.A.Q.S.:

1. Does the game I'm buying from Amazon Activate on Steam/Origin/Uplay? What DRM does the game use?

There are two places to identify DRM on a digital video game detail page:

At the top of the page, below the title:

16hm7a8.png

In the "Product Description" section:

r06ykl.jpg

2. Note on Electronic Arts Games - For the most part, EA games sold on Amazon do not activate on Steam. Most activate on Origin.

3. Note on DRM with limited activations:

Our Policy

4. Sometimes I'll do giveaways.

5. I work with developers and publishers to get fun (or at least what I think is fun) content to share with you all. Here are some examples:

a. Check out the Pax Gameplay videos here: Xcom: Enemy Unknown I played Xcom with Jake, the Creative Director for the game, a few months before the game came out Also, on this page, check out the Q&A, also a community driven event.

b. Check out the interview on this page: Borderlands 2 we did this interview at E3 with Randy Pitchford this year.

c. We've partnered with the ++GoodGames Podcast to feature many of the games we carry. They talk to the developers about the game development process, how the games are conceptualized and managed, all kinds of fun stuff. I'm working on putting together full link list and will update when I have it.

What else do we sell?

Xbox Live Points and Subscriptions:

1600 Microsoft Live Points
4000 Microsoft Live Points
12 Month XBOX Live Subscription
3 Month XBOX Live Subscription]
12 Month + 1 XBOX Live Subscription

PSN+ Subscriptions and PSN Points:

$20 PSN Points
$50 PSN Points
12 Month PSN+ Subscription
3 Month PSN+ Subscription

We also have a Free-2-Play store supported by our GameConnect technology. Gameconnect allows you to link your Amazon.com account with free-2-play and MMO accounts so that you can buy things like in game currency, premium game time/subscriptions, in game items, etc. on Amazon.com using your Amazon.com payment options and have this content delivered directly into your game.

5. Price Matching notes: Generally we do not match international retailers (GMG, Gamersgate, etc) or physical retailers (Best Buy, Newegg.com, etc.)
To check out the Free-2-Play games we offer you can visit our storefront here: Free-2-Play Store

Last edited by a moderator:
With regards to pirating, I never pirated games.  I only ever looked for NO-CD hacks wherever possible.   I buy tons of games, most on sale of course, but there are a few "Day-One" purchases for me, and always will be.  That is just the reality with limited amounts of time each week to play games versus life stuff.  I have over 1,000 Steam games, over 350 GOG games, and many via Impulse, Origin, Gamersgate, Get Games, UPlay, Gamefly, and Green Man Gaming.  I will never play them all of course (although I am tempted to start a 'play one new game a day' thing and experience them all for at least an hour) and that it ok with me.  Most of the time, I am also thinking about my family since they can enjoy in the spoils of my game purchases.  Makes it easier to accept my game buying habits ;).

For music, yes, I did in the beginning via newsgroups (this was a musical awakening of sorts for me, growing into my musical tastes) so I could listen to an entire song / CD to determine if that group / album is worth it, then I would simply buy the CD (physical at first, now I purchase all digitally via Amazon).  I have an 'ownership mentality" so even if I can listen to a CD via Google Music, or something like that, if I love a CD, I also buy it.  

I'm surprised that no one has cited a 'chieve-addiction for helping them to go on the straight and narrow.
I actually don't like achievements. They're not geared towards the type of gamer I am, unfortunately. They're useful for the "Gotta do EVERYTHING mindset," but I'm a "Beat the game and move on" kind of player. What I wish Steam, PSN, and the like had was a consistent "Beat the game" achievement that was trackable, and a required achievement for every game that has cheevios. They track how many games you 100%; why can't they also let you see a quick running tally of how many games you've beaten?

I keep track of games I've beaten with my Steam categories and a spreadsheet, but it'd still be nice to have a built-in function that I could just check with a quick glance to get a full list of games I have, grouped into beaten and unbeaten categories, with some basic info about when the game was beaten and (if there are such) what difficulty it was at.

I actually don't like achievements. They're not geared towards the type of gamer I am, unfortunately. They're useful for the "Gotta do EVERYTHING mindset," but I'm a "Beat the game and move on" kind of player. What I wish Steam, PSN, and the like had was a consistent "Beat the game" achievement that was trackable, and a required achievement for every game that has cheevios. They track how many games you 100%; why can't they also let you see a quick running tally of how many games you've beaten?

I keep track of games I've beaten with my Steam categories and a spreadsheet, but it'd still be nice to have a built-in function that I could just check with a quick glance to get a full list of games I have, grouped into beaten and unbeaten categories, with some basic info about when the game was beaten and (if there are such) what difficulty it was at.
Get a how long to beat account. You can enter in all your games, and the community rates how long it took them to beat, reviews the game, etc. You can sort your games into "playing," "completed," and "backlog," and enter in the date you beat it, any notes about the game, etc

Get a how long to beat account. You can enter in all your games, and the community rates how long it took them to beat, reviews the game, etc. You can sort your games into "playing," "completed," and "backlog," and enter in the date you beat it, any notes about the game, etc

if only howlongtobeat have an automatic system that will get all my games even if its only on steam. (Like raptr does). As it is I cant muster an effort to put all my games there manually. I just put a "completed" category in my library.

When I recreate the world, I'm making a special place in hell for people who don't read. :no: :evil:
I'm guessing that place will be called "Alabama".

(If you're a CAG from Alabama, and you're actually reading this, just pretend I said Arkansas.) O:)

With regards to pirating, I never pirated games. I only ever looked for NO-CD hacks wherever possible.
The only game CD I ever torrented was Disc 3 of Baldur's Gate II, because my physical copy had gotten scratched. After that, I got addicted to no-CD cracks, until digital libraries rendered physical media obsolete.

Funny, though... I haven't given up on physical media for music and movies. I still buy CDs and rip them; I still buy DVDs or Blu-Rays and rip them to my HTPC. I'm not sure if that's because movies and music don't have disk-checking requirements, or because downloadable versions usually aren't in the bitrate/format I prefer. Probably both.

if only howlongtobeat have an automatic system that will get all my games even if its only on steam. (Like raptr does). As it is I cant muster an effort to put all my games there manually. I just put a "completed" category in my library.

It would be nice if Raptr had some way to list your games by howlongtobeat... to help completing backlog. Despite the manual process, I'm really tempted to manually enter my games on a howlongtobeat account. It may help quell my desire to buy new games, knowing and feeling how many games I already own and how long it would take me to complete them all.

2014 is my Year of Completion. This reckoning in January, of having 20+ coupons left over, is really unsettling to me.

already redeemed Crysis Maximum in my Origin.Has a little confuse that Ea Game Advisor replace normal Crysis 2 to my Crysis 2 Maximum Edition but after change to other adviser.Everything is fined :)

Same here. Once I'm "done" with a game, be it playing the game to completion or playing it until I don't wanna play it no more, it can just get dropped in a "Finished" folder in the Library. Much of the time "finished" means "I didn't care for this at all" and I'm not about to feel like I didn't knock it off the list just because I didn't put five hours into it.

On that coincidental note, I just finished the next four games in my Backlog Alphabet project :D/

It would be nice if Raptr had some way to list your games by howlongtobeat... to help completing backlog. Despite the manual process, I'm really tempted to manually enter my games on a howlongtobeat account. It may help quell my desire to buy new games, knowing and feeling how many games I already own and how long it would take me to complete them all.

2014 is my Year of Completion. This reckoning in January, of having 20+ coupons left over, is really unsettling to me.
I entered in my games manually, just do like 30 a day if you don't want to do it all at once. It takes less time than you'd think. Flip on a tv show while you're doing it or something

I pirated back in the day. Think I made up for it with my 1200 games on Steam, 22 games on GOG, 23 games on Origin and the games I have on various other sites as well as all the iOS and Android games I have bought.

Heck It was not until Win Vista did I actually own Windows. And that was becasue I got Vista cheap and since then 7+8 upgrades where cheap too).

What stopped me from pirating games? Their price (and having a good job to allow me some disposable income.) Being able to get games for $10 and under has been the biggest reason I have stopped pirating games. I could never justify paying $40+ for games that where not that great for the price. Been about 10 years since I have pirated anything. Most I will do is No-CD cracks or to circumvent DRM when needed.

I entered in my games manually, just do like 30 a day if you don't want to do it all at once. It takes less time than you'd think. Flip on a tv show while you're doing it or something
For people with large libraries and who are looking to sort them some how but are overwhelmed by manually doing each game ... take a look at depressurizer. It allows you to easily categorize games.

Personally never used it just seen people recommend it in the past.

Just wanted to chime in to anyone who is curious about Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons.  I picked it up last month on Amazon PCDD and finally got around to playing it this week.  No spoilers, but basically it's one hell of a treat and I totally recommend it.  I think I'm near the end (it's a short game), but what's there is sweet and engaging.  The mechanics, as executed, are charming (you use the analog sticks to control each brother respectively, and the corresponding trigger button to activate context-sensitive actions).  I thought it would be maddening, but you're rarely forced to play as a pure test of your dexterity, and the game generally gives you ample time and clues to figure out how to progress.

Of note is the relationship between both brothers.  I won't go into detail, but it's very sincere.  I can't wait to finish the game tonight.  I kind of wish there were more games like this.  It's a real treat.

P.S. How do you make Secret selections on this board now?  I haven't posted much in a while and can't seem to find it.

P.P.S. I just finished the game a few minutes ago.  Wonderful, just... wonderful.  I HIGHLY recommend playing this with a good analog gamepad with rumble.  There are people who have played using keyboard, but trust me when I say that the game is totally worth having a rumble analog pad to play with.

Same here. Once I'm "done" with a game, be it playing the game to completion or playing it until I don't wanna play it no more, it can just get dropped in a "Finished" folder in the Library. Much of the time "finished" means "I didn't care for this at all" and I'm not about to feel like I didn't knock it off the list just because I didn't put five hours into it.

On that coincidental note, I just finished the next four games in my Backlog Alphabet project :D/
I have a some unknown compelling desire that I must complete a game before I move onto the next, sometimes that dips into achievement hunting and I feel like I need to get most of those as well. 2014 is the year of the reduced backlog, but having to play to completion games like borderlands 2 (where I want to do all dlc so it scales with me no fun if I out level it, plus finishing those raid bosses) really sets me back quite a bit of time.

Then there are games like csgo/aoe2/sc2 that I just do multiplayer with friends for fun and it really cuts down on the amount of time I have to work on said backlog. Then when I get duped into resubbing for a month of WoW everything goes out of the window.

All this Skyrim DLC talk make me glad I got the Elder Scrolls Anthology for $14, althought it was mainly just for the DLC since I already had the base game.

All this Skyrim DLC talk make me glad I got the Elder Scrolls Anthology for $14, althought it was mainly just for the DLC since I already had the base game
Where did you get it? I'm still interested in buying Morrowind GOTY, Oblivion GOTY and Skyrim GOTY.

All this Skyrim DLC talk make me glad I got the Elder Scrolls Anthology for $14, althought it was mainly just for the DLC since I already had the base game.
When was it $14? I had got it for $25 on a lightning deal, but it ended up delivered to a different zip code before xmas so I chucked it up as a lost.

oh I read that the skyrim key gives you morrowwind and oblivion goty as well. Was that true?

When was it $14? I had got it for $25 on a lightning deal, but it ended up delivered to a different zip code before xmas so I chucked it up as a lost.

oh I read that the skyrim key gives you morrowwind and oblivion goty as well. Was that true?
It has Arena, Daggerfall, Morrowind GOTY, Oblivion GOTY and Skyrim Legendary cd. Also steam keys for Morrowind GOTY, Oblivion GOTY deluxe and Skyrim Legendary.

A $10 certificate email by the Best Buy CEO isn't the same as the Amazon $5 EC?
Assuming that $10 gift certificate had greater than a one-month window of use and could be used on anything in the Best Buy store versus a finite number of titles… no, it's not the same.

They're different. The gift certificate is exclusive to you. The EC sale is open to everybody.

If yesterday, I bought the secret world for 5 bucks, and had a personal amazon gift certificate making it free, and said "Hey guys, I just got the Secret World on sale for free!" it'd be a bit confusing.

Funny, though... I haven't given up on physical media for music and movies. I still buy CDs and rip them; I still buy DVDs or Blu-Rays and rip them to my HTPC. I'm not sure if that's because movies and music don't have disk-checking requirements, or because downloadable versions usually aren't in the bitrate/format I prefer. Probably both.
I am loath to buy other than lossless music... which is why I still buy CDs. I wholly agree on the better bitrate/compression argument.

I don't really see it as piracy if I already bought the game... e.g. I *have* to use a no-CD patch with NFS Carbon since although my DVD looks fine it won't pass the CD-check DRM. ...and it's not available digitally anywhere. thankfully I still had it installed when the DVD went tits up.

I actually don't like achievements. They're not geared towards the type of gamer I am, unfortunately. They're useful for the "Gotta do EVERYTHING mindset," but I'm a "Beat the game and move on" kind of player.
I like achievements and I'll pursue some even though I can rarely be arsed to 100% something.

I have a some unknown compelling desire that I must complete a game before I move onto the next, sometimes that dips into achievement hunting and I feel like I need to get most of those as well. 2014 is the year of the reduced backlog, but having to play to completion games like borderlands 2 (where I want to do all dlc so it scales with me no fun if I out level it, plus finishing those raid bosses) really sets me back quite a bit of time.

Then there are games like csgo/aoe2/sc2 that I just do multiplayer with friends for fun and it really cuts down on the amount of time I have to work on said backlog. Then when I get duped into resubbing for a month of WoW everything goes out of the window.
The BL2 DLC scales with you.

I hear you on WoW. With the no-sub pressure of TSW, I'm happy to drop in and out of it depending on my mood.

Assuming that $10 gift certificate had greater than a one-month window of use and could be used on anything in the Best Buy store versus a finite number of titles… no, it's not the same.
Got it on Nov 14 and expire after Dec 24.

But like you said it could be used on anyrhing, ok, got it.

They're different. The gift certificate is exclusive to you. The EC sale is open to everybody.

If yesterday, I bought the secret world for 5 bucks, and had a personal amazon gift certificate making it free, and said "Hey guys, I just got the Secret World on sale for free!" it'd be a bit confusing.
And in fact, this has happened as recently as when the EC launched this year. People were reporting getting Bioshock Infinite for $4.99 when the EC coupons hadn't actually been activated yet. Turned out, those people still had a credit from a different promotion that they were getting. It was quite confusing for a while and made it seem like EC coupons were working for some people and not others.

Did Tony talked to SEGA about adding games to EC list?

Also hoping Deep Silver respond to him, would really like to get DI: Riptide, Metro: Last Light and SR4.

And in fact, this has happened as recently as when the EC launched this year. People were reporting getting Bioshock Infinite for $4.99 when the EC coupons hadn't actually been activated yet. Turned out, those people still had a credit from a different promotion that they were getting. It was quite confusing for a while and made it seem like EC coupons were working for some people and not others.
Eh, people are idiots.

Also hoping Deep Silver respond to him, would really like to get DI: Riptide, Metro: Last Light and SR4.
Unfortunately they gave him the 'don't call us we'll call you' reply… or something to that effect.

Pssh oh yea my Elder Scrolls Anthology was free then if I count gift cards too. Oh and I get free games all the time at gamestop... just have to leave a couple games I don't play anymore with them.

Oh yea I almost forgot about those free games I get from friends and family on dec. 25 and my birthday too!

Unfortunately they gave him the 'don't call us we'll call you' reply… or something to that effect.
They are waiting by the phone for the big call from the CompUSA, Circuit City and Egghead reps.

You gotta save your best deals for the big players.

Next year they might allow Blockbuster into the Solid Gold Club.

They are waiting by the phone for the big call from the CompUSA, Circuit City and Egghead reps.
You gotta save your best deals for the big players.
Next year they might allow Blockbuster into the Solid Gold Club.
Didn't realize Egghead was an actual store. I thought that's what old people call Newegg, but nope..

I was waiting to hear about Deep Silver but I couldn't wait any longer. Used my last coupon on Brothers before it's deal ends.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back