Amazon PCDD - Important Update New Community Manager Incoming!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amazon DVG Deals

Official Representative
Feedback
4 (100%)
Hey CAGS,

I’ve got some news I’m both excited and sad to share with you at the same time. I’ll be leaving the Digital Video Games team in Mid-March to join the marketing team for Amazon.com’s Loyalty and Rewards program, Amazon Coins. My boss and I have talked extensively about how to maintain and continue our presence here and across the other communities we’ve created in the past couple of years. To that end I’d like to introduce you to Josh, who take over monitoring, updating, and responding to this thread. Josh will be ramping up over the next couple of weeks, he  will be posting shortly to introduce himself.

Now that the “what’s going on” part of the message is out of the way I want to tell you all how much I love CAG and the posters here. This was the first community I joined when I started this job (anyone still remember that first thread?) and all of you have had a huge hand in shaping how we think about and execute Community Development and Management here at Amazon, which has in turn shaped my career these last two and a half years.

I started to write out a section calling out the regular posters and realized the list would be both overly long and incomplete at the same time. Instead I’d like to thank you all again, you all have my deep and sincere gratitude. I’ll still be around and my gaming accounts aren’t going anywhere so feel free to hit me up anytime you want to chat. I’ll probably still hang out in the thread too :).

Thanks again everyone, let me or Josh know if you have any questions!

The Indie Store has launched!
Amazon.com is launching a storefront dedicated to supporting and promoting PC/Mac/Web-based Indie Games. Our Digital Video Games team is a small group of passionate gamers and we’re all really excited to help Indie developers reach more customers quickly by providing a quick and simple process for bringing their games to market. Additionally we’ll be supporting the Indie Store with a ton of promotions, both at and after launch. Many of these promotions are designed to give the developer the opportunity to maximize their revenue. For example, Amazon is forfeiting all royalties from bundle sales and passing them along directly to the developer, we’ve also created an “Indie Spotlight” program to help customers learn more about the games and developers they love. We view the Indie developers as some of the most creative in the industry and we want to help them continue to create new and innovative experience for customers.

Why we are doing this:

• Allow customers to discover an entirely new category of games on Amazon.com
  • Help developers reach new customers quickly. Our onboarding process is straightforward and we want to sell every Indie game available
  • We want to leverage our strengths to support and help the developers who are driving forward innovation and creativity in the games industry
General Information

Hi CAGs,
I'll be posting deals we're running on Digital Games (PC/Mac, Free to Play, Sony/Microsoft Points/Subs).

I'm also here to answer questions you might have, get you closer to the developers by hosting Q&As, setting up podcasts, live streaming gameplay etc. If I don't respond to a question you have in thread please send me a PM. These ping my email address and make it more likely that I will see your question and respond more quickly.

Cheers,
Tony

FYI. EA Games sold by Amazon will not activate on Steam.
F.A.Q.S.:

1. Does the game I'm buying from Amazon Activate on Steam/Origin/Uplay? What DRM does the game use?

There are two places to identify DRM on a digital video game detail page:

At the top of the page, below the title:

16hm7a8.png

In the "Product Description" section:

r06ykl.jpg

2. Note on Electronic Arts Games - For the most part, EA games sold on Amazon do not activate on Steam. Most activate on Origin.

3. Note on DRM with limited activations:

Our Policy

4. Sometimes I'll do giveaways.

5. I work with developers and publishers to get fun (or at least what I think is fun) content to share with you all. Here are some examples:

a. Check out the Pax Gameplay videos here: Xcom: Enemy Unknown I played Xcom with Jake, the Creative Director for the game, a few months before the game came out Also, on this page, check out the Q&A, also a community driven event.

b. Check out the interview on this page: Borderlands 2 we did this interview at E3 with Randy Pitchford this year.

c. We've partnered with the ++GoodGames Podcast to feature many of the games we carry. They talk to the developers about the game development process, how the games are conceptualized and managed, all kinds of fun stuff. I'm working on putting together full link list and will update when I have it.

What else do we sell?

Xbox Live Points and Subscriptions:

1600 Microsoft Live Points
4000 Microsoft Live Points
12 Month XBOX Live Subscription
3 Month XBOX Live Subscription]
12 Month + 1 XBOX Live Subscription

PSN+ Subscriptions and PSN Points:

$20 PSN Points
$50 PSN Points
12 Month PSN+ Subscription
3 Month PSN+ Subscription

We also have a Free-2-Play store supported by our GameConnect technology. Gameconnect allows you to link your Amazon.com account with free-2-play and MMO accounts so that you can buy things like in game currency, premium game time/subscriptions, in game items, etc. on Amazon.com using your Amazon.com payment options and have this content delivered directly into your game.

5. Price Matching notes: Generally we do not match international retailers (GMG, Gamersgate, etc) or physical retailers (Best Buy, Newegg.com, etc.)
To check out the Free-2-Play games we offer you can visit our storefront here: Free-2-Play Store

Last edited by a moderator:
This Editor's Choice Sale is the sale CAG deserves, but not the one it needs right now.

Some feedback for Tony and the Amazon lot. Note that this is my insight and personal opinion and does not reflect CAG as a whole (just to cover bases).

1) Using the EC system, it would be nice to have the deals lined up even before the yearly EC deal is even announced or put into effect. Obviously what happened this year was the assumption that EC 2014 was going to be rocking like the last 2 years and ended up being an EA spam fest (might as well call it the monthly EA sale). If we can get publishers on board before the EC promo starts (where you purchase games to get EC credit to use later), Amazon can have a better head count of what to expect for the sale and overall see if it is even worth having the sale at all in the current form. Obviously we just had major xmas holiday sales around all game sites that sell games but I will get to that point next. It seems that most publishers have blown you off from what I understand so far this year.

2) The timing of the sale was tough. It seams that many other gaming sites (gmg, gamefly, gamestop, etc) have jumped on the steam holiday sales train, and it seems publishers are a little worn out of deals by the time Jan rolls around. It may be a good idea to move the EC sale to another month where excuses such as "just getting back into the office" or "just had a sale last month" will not be an issue.

3) This is a big one... The current form of the EC program is now being exploited by other game sellers. What I mean by that is that I am seeing other sites such as gamestop offering the same games on sale at the price point that would normally cost on Amazon after EC coupon. EC coupon then becomes pretty much worthless. One good example (and there has been quite a few that I've seen) is that gamestop offered the command and conquer decade set for 5 dollars no questions asked. Maybe it is time to rethink the EC program all together so that it actually provides value to the customer.

With all that being said, it is just (hopefully) constructive criticism that may provide insight from the customer standpoint. I still think you do an AMAZING job at providing deals and interfacing with the community Tony, so don't take this as a negative against you (or amazon) in any way :). Keep up the great work and we all know you care!

Like everyone else said, we don't know.. but there will probably be a few more deals at the very least. Tony's not gonna leave us hanging.
He might not really have a choice if no other publishers get back to him. And for me, there really isn't that much currently on it I want… so even if Steam had some midweek/weekend/daily sale that Amazon matched chances are low I'd actually grab something.

Question for those using Origin.

Every once in a while it puts me in offline mode. When I go back to online mode it says I'm logged in on another PC and logging in now will log out that computer.

Anyone else experience this. First time I changed password, just in case, but it has happened twice since then.

I also saw an post on EA forums that showed this has been happening since 2011.
I get that about once a day.

Every time I exit origin, it requires me to enter un and pw again, even though I click "remember me". Anyone know a fix?

Every time I exit origin, it requires me to enter un and pw again, even though I click "remember me". Anyone know a fix?
I also have this problem, but only occasionally. Would like to know a possible fix as well. I think origin just likes screwing with me.

Marlowe Briggs is awesome, guys.  It's beautifully audacious, and that's a compliment.  I just started playing, and it's actually rather tongue-in-cheek in a fun way.  This is the exact kind of game I've been looking for my PC.

Just want to say "Hello from Germany" after reading here for a few weeks. 

Also I have a few keys to give away. Thats: Tropico 4, Stealth Bastard Deluxe, War of the Roses, EU III Complete and Alan Wake Collectors Edition. Just PM me with the game you want.

Have a nice day!

Edit: All gone

I also have this problem, but only occasionally. Would like to know a possible fix as well. I think origin just likes screwing with me.
Hmm, I don't have those problems with Origin myself. I think I've only had to re-enter my password after a client update.

Hmm, I don't have those problems with Origin myself. I think I've only had to re-enter my password after a client update.
I had thought that might be the case with myself as well, but i have had to re-enter info on occasions where there were no updates as well.

I've heard real mixed reviews about Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons. Anyone recommend it?
Everybody who has played it and that I've seen posted about it on this board has raved about it.

Also, the vast majority of professional reviews recommended it. I think it has a 90 on metacritic.

Basically...games are subjective so I can't promise you'll like it, but it's more than worth a shot.

Most Wanted DLC... is it good?
It's worth buying, not for the cars but for several other reasons.

A big part of why I bought it was just to complete the game cause EA has designed it so that you're constantly running into events you can't do, stats you can't complete, cars you can't drive, it's a shitty tactic and made the game a big frustration for me. Buying the DLC solved that, I'm not happy about it but it made the game a lot more enjoyable.

The other worthwhile part is the airport area, which is awesome. Then the DLC also adds 3 car mods, one is drift tires and they're very cool. It also adds two new race types and several new races for every car. Add the 20 new cars to all of that, and 4 Most Wanted races, it was well worth my $7. No regrets at all.

It only seems to forget my login info after I update the client.

I've heard real mixed reviews about Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons. Anyone recommend it?
You missed the sale by a few hours and now it's doubled in price on Amazon. You could have had it for $2.49 with an EC discount. The cheapest you can find it right now is at Gamefly, I think ($7.99)

It's a terrific game and almost every opinion I've read has been positive. I'm not sure I'd call the reviews "mixed" at all.

A big part of why I bought it was just to complete the game cause EA has designed it so that you're constantly running into events you can't do, stats you can't complete, cars you can't drive, it's a shitty tactic and made the game a big frustration for me. Buying the DLC solved that, I'm not happy about it but it made the game a lot more enjoyable.

The other worthwhile part is the airport area, which is awesome. Then the DLC also adds 3 car mods, one is drift tires and they're very cool. It also adds two new race types and several new races for every car. Add the 20 new cars to all of that, and 4 Most Wanted races, it was well worth my $7. No regrets at all.

So you bought DLC pack to stop being asked to buy DLC cause they lock stuff that should be free. Shittiest practice ever. No wonder everyone hates EA. I got the game for free and played for 30mins, didnt like it, and I thought maybe DLC improved the game... Not going to support this crappy type of business. Thanks anyway!

So far he has. And he has been given a big pass for how fucking shitty that EA sponsored editors choice game selection has been.
To be fair, Tony has has NOT left us hanging, all the other pubs have. And hate on EA like everyone else if you like, at least they have responded.

Just finished X:EW. It was a lot of fun and i definitely recommend it. The only complaint i can come up with against the game is that there are occasions where movement and aiming are a bit problematic. Specifically:

1. When aiming at enemies, sometimes the way the view works is that you can't see whether they have a shield (indicating whether they'r eunder cover.) It's not all that common in general, but with long-range sniper shots at certain angles it pops up more often than I liked. Since the sniper skill "in the zone" is only triggered when you shoot at an uncovered enemy, this becomes an issue.
2. Movement at different heights doesn't always work correctly. If there's two levels you can move to, above and below at the same location on the x/y axis, it can be very difficult to get the game to recognize you want the higher one. Even when you move the camera up as far as possible, it still wants to default to the lower location. This is typically only an issue after shooting down a UFO.
3. It's hard to figure out viewing angles. I'm constantly keeping my snipers as far back as possible, and occasionally they appear to be perfectly in line with an enemy, but can't actually shoot at them. The issue here is that the map view hides a lot of stuff in order to make it easier to view where to go and what's going on. Typically this is good and works great, but on occasion it completely hides walls. In the last battle i had no idea i was in long hallways and that there were walls between my sniper and the enemies until one of the solider movements triggered a first-person running sequence that suddenly revealed all that crap was in the way.

All the problems above really came up in the late to end game. The ending itself was very good though, I thought, and the game overall was great. Definitely worth the ~$17 I spent overall (X:EU from Firaxies $20 bundle with Civ IV and V on Amazon, X:EW from Amazon on NYE for $10.)

Ah dang forgot bout Marlow and How to Survive...weren't very high wants but eh.....got a bunch of cheap random PS2 games from a Gamestop instead....yay.

This. Well said.

I just added together the base and the DLC to consider that I got MW GOTY for $12... which was my price point. ...and I do want it all.

They don't match international sellers .. even is it is their own.

BL2 is on sale more than it is off sale. Eventually it will be cheap in US again.
Or you could use a McDonalds in Glasgow....

For what it's worth, I just finished it last night. About 2-3 hours, like the Internet says.

I had more feels at the end that maybe any other game. The mechanics in the last portion were excellently integrated with the plot changes.

Highly recommended.

I really liked it but bear in mind it doesn't really have any replay value... though I might want to load it up to just chill out in a couple of zones. It's worth the experience. but I probably wouldn't pay more than $5 for it, IMO. I paid $6 for it and feel it was right up next to the border value-wise.

TBH, the only feels I have left from the game are the regrets I had when it went on sale on the EC list a day after I bought it on Amazon for $6.

Hey Tony,

Just an idea I'd like to throw in.. If the other reps don't react and leave us hanging until the end of the month, maybe it would be nice to get an ENCORE day.. like bringing back every big deals that were presented during the EC Sale back for 1 day. I'm sure the EA guy wouldn't mind bringing the deals back for 1 extra day and grab the extra $ from all those people who held onto their tickets expecting some better stuff to come out. I personally didn't grab some deals in this manner but would grab them on let's say the 31st to use my expiring coupons.

Dunno how complex that would be for you guys, just throwing the idea in the air..

Hey Tony,

Just an idea I'd like to throw in.. If the other reps don't react and leave us hanging until the end of the month, maybe it would be nice to get an ENCORE day.. like bringing back every big deals that were presented during the EC Sale back for 1 day. I'm sure the EA guy wouldn't mind bringing the deals back for 1 extra day and grab the extra $ from all those people who held onto their tickets expecting some better stuff to come out. I personally didn't grab some deals in this manner but would grab them on let's say the 31st to use my expiring coupons.

Dunno how complex that would be for you guys, just throwing the idea in the air..
I second this. There are a few deals I've been on the brink of, but passed just in case. If everything was brought back the last day I'd probably buy 1 or 2 extra things.

Hey Tony,

This is a good idea, IMO.

Hey Tony,

I would love to see this... When you started asking us for what games we would want to see bundled I didn't buy my fallback options... And I'm not seeing much of anything late in the month I want. (I would likely pick up three EA titles to be honest.)

Hey Tony,

I second this. There are a few deals I've been on the brink of, but passed just in case. If everything was brought back the last day I'd probably buy 1 or 2 extra things.
This is a good idea, IMO.
I would love to see this... When you started asking us for what games we would want to see bundled I didn't buy my fallback options... And I'm not seeing much of anything late in the month I want. (I would likely pick up three EA titles to be honest.)
5th.

So agree on this.

EDIT:

Always nice to have a recap day in case we realize, "You know, maybe I should've bought [insert title/bundle/whatever] when it was on sale!"

Recap is a nice way to give us a 2nd chance.

Hey Tony,

And it rewards the companies that are participating. That would bode well for future participation.

In addition, just like people pick up a bunch of extra stuff at the end of December just to get coupons, a lot of people will be hunting to use their coupons just so they don't "waste" them. Smart companies would jump at the chance to get in front of that sort of market behavior. Guess we will find out which ones are smart.

For what it's worth, I just finished it last night. About 2-3 hours, like the Internet says.

I had more feels at the end that maybe any other game. The mechanics in the last portion were excellently integrated with the plot changes.
Eh, the feels I had at the end were vague disappointment. I liked the game and the graphics and sound were great but (actual spoilers in tags):

...the plot basically felt like "Oh, we can't just have this be a touching journey, we need to throw some sad in here so it's 'deep'. And here's some more sad just for the hell of it." I didn't feel like there was any depth to it or anything to take from it, just a ham-handed attempt to make it 'meaningful'. I think it would have been more meaningful really had the trip been a "success" on both ends since that would have left me with a pleasant memory of the whole experience. Instead the end made the experience as a whole rather forgetful.

Eh, the feels I had at the end were vague disappointment. I liked the game and the graphics and sound were great but (actual spoilers in tags):

...the plot basically felt like "Oh, we can't just have this be a touching journey, we need to throw some sad in here so it's 'deep'. And here's some more sad just for the hell of it." I didn't feel like there was any depth to it or anything to take from it, just a ham-handed attempt to make it 'meaningful'. I think it would have been more meaningful really had the trip been a "success" on both ends since that would have left me with a pleasant memory of the whole experience. Instead the end made the experience as a whole rather forgetful.
Sometimes I fell that when there isn't a happy ending and you know that they paid close attention to the plot details, it makes it feel more real. Like the more upset I get that it doesn't end all well, the better, because that means that the plot and story actually had a proper impact, unlike the millions of happily ever afters. Plus I love the way the controls changed to fit the plot near the end. That really enhanced the game's originality.
Not saying that the unhappy ending was simply thrown in to make the story, but it certainly gives it more meaning, makes it a much more memorable story and game.

I don't know what he was talking about the reviews for brothers ATOTS being mixed, the game was universally acclaimed, it is a masterpiece.

Hey Tony,

I like that idea too. I want to grab the syndicate/the saboteur bundle but I've missed it and i am out of coupons too. But I would love to buy that bundle (with a little help from one cag users that don't need 1 coupon and don't mind "giving" to me [yeah i know that it's not tradable and it's tied to each account but i would pay with amazon gc]).

I don't know what he was talking about the reviews for brothers ATOTS being mixed, the game was universally acclaimed, it is a masterpiece.
I get what you're saying, I just don't think it was successful. At least, it wasn't at all for me and that's all I can speak for.

That said, I'd still recommend it as a buy for $2.50 (which it ain't any more) on the basis of the game play and imagery. Even if you're not in love with it end to end, it's still probably worth finding out for yourself based on the rest of its good points.

All three of 'em?

I kid…. Sort of.
Objectively speaking, Ace Patrol bundle, Freyja's Bundle, Secret World, Dead Space Awakening, all the 505 games deals, Alice Complete Collection, Crysis 3, and Dead Space 3 are probably all worth bringing back for a EC encore. Yeah, EC has been disappointing, but let's not act like there haven't been any good deals

For people newer to Amazon PCDD and those who don't follow bundles regularly… I'll concede… sort of…  I'm being fairly objective -- when Tony says he's considering pulling the plug on the promo for next year it's definitely been underwhelming.

For people newer to Amazon PCDD and those who don't follow bundles regularly… I'll concede… sort of… I'm being fairly objective -- when Tony says he's considering pulling the plug on the promo for next year it's definitely been underwhelming.
I see that as more of an indication that the sales are not panning out as he expected (based on the past two years of experience). So far I think EA is the only major publisher that really go on board... 2K's involvement has been surprisingly light this year. I don't mean to slight 505 Games and other smaller outfits, but big publishers can bring many more discounts and on high profile games.

So far my gem of this sale is Marlow Briggs... a game that wasn't on my radar and that I wouldn't have picked up at the pre-EC price.

I see that as more of an indication that the sales are not panning out as he expected (based on the past two years of experience). So far I think EA is the only major publisher that really go on board... 2K's involvement has been surprisingly light this year. I don't mean to slight 505 Games and other smaller outfits, but big publishers can bring many more discounts and on high profile games.

So far my gem of this sale is Marlow Briggs... a game that wasn't on my radar and that I wouldn't have picked up at the pre-EC price.
Yeah, if all the other big publishers had a similar output to EA, this would've been a pretty crazy sale.

Now I'm regretting not getting Marlow Briggs.

For people newer to Amazon PCDD and those who don't follow bundles regularly… I'll concede… sort of… I'm being fairly objective -- when Tony says he's considering pulling the plug on the promo for next year it's definitely been underwhelming.
Yeah, pretty much this.

As the month dwindles down, still with a stack of coupons and nothing to use them on leaves a bad taste in your mouth.

All the titles on the EC list aren't really "Editor's choice" material, unless they set their bar really, really low.

The good ones, most people have already got from previous deals.

The rest of them are pretty much meh. :nottalking:

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back