Amazon PCDD - Important Update New Community Manager Incoming!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amazon DVG Deals

Official Representative
Feedback
4 (100%)
Hey CAGS,

I’ve got some news I’m both excited and sad to share with you at the same time. I’ll be leaving the Digital Video Games team in Mid-March to join the marketing team for Amazon.com’s Loyalty and Rewards program, Amazon Coins. My boss and I have talked extensively about how to maintain and continue our presence here and across the other communities we’ve created in the past couple of years. To that end I’d like to introduce you to Josh, who take over monitoring, updating, and responding to this thread. Josh will be ramping up over the next couple of weeks, he  will be posting shortly to introduce himself.

Now that the “what’s going on” part of the message is out of the way I want to tell you all how much I love CAG and the posters here. This was the first community I joined when I started this job (anyone still remember that first thread?) and all of you have had a huge hand in shaping how we think about and execute Community Development and Management here at Amazon, which has in turn shaped my career these last two and a half years.

I started to write out a section calling out the regular posters and realized the list would be both overly long and incomplete at the same time. Instead I’d like to thank you all again, you all have my deep and sincere gratitude. I’ll still be around and my gaming accounts aren’t going anywhere so feel free to hit me up anytime you want to chat. I’ll probably still hang out in the thread too :).

Thanks again everyone, let me or Josh know if you have any questions!

The Indie Store has launched!
Amazon.com is launching a storefront dedicated to supporting and promoting PC/Mac/Web-based Indie Games. Our Digital Video Games team is a small group of passionate gamers and we’re all really excited to help Indie developers reach more customers quickly by providing a quick and simple process for bringing their games to market. Additionally we’ll be supporting the Indie Store with a ton of promotions, both at and after launch. Many of these promotions are designed to give the developer the opportunity to maximize their revenue. For example, Amazon is forfeiting all royalties from bundle sales and passing them along directly to the developer, we’ve also created an “Indie Spotlight” program to help customers learn more about the games and developers they love. We view the Indie developers as some of the most creative in the industry and we want to help them continue to create new and innovative experience for customers.

Why we are doing this:

• Allow customers to discover an entirely new category of games on Amazon.com
  • Help developers reach new customers quickly. Our onboarding process is straightforward and we want to sell every Indie game available
  • We want to leverage our strengths to support and help the developers who are driving forward innovation and creativity in the games industry
General Information

Hi CAGs,
I'll be posting deals we're running on Digital Games (PC/Mac, Free to Play, Sony/Microsoft Points/Subs).

I'm also here to answer questions you might have, get you closer to the developers by hosting Q&As, setting up podcasts, live streaming gameplay etc. If I don't respond to a question you have in thread please send me a PM. These ping my email address and make it more likely that I will see your question and respond more quickly.

Cheers,
Tony

FYI. EA Games sold by Amazon will not activate on Steam.
F.A.Q.S.:

1. Does the game I'm buying from Amazon Activate on Steam/Origin/Uplay? What DRM does the game use?

There are two places to identify DRM on a digital video game detail page:

At the top of the page, below the title:

16hm7a8.png

In the "Product Description" section:

r06ykl.jpg

2. Note on Electronic Arts Games - For the most part, EA games sold on Amazon do not activate on Steam. Most activate on Origin.

3. Note on DRM with limited activations:

Our Policy

4. Sometimes I'll do giveaways.

5. I work with developers and publishers to get fun (or at least what I think is fun) content to share with you all. Here are some examples:

a. Check out the Pax Gameplay videos here: Xcom: Enemy Unknown I played Xcom with Jake, the Creative Director for the game, a few months before the game came out Also, on this page, check out the Q&A, also a community driven event.

b. Check out the interview on this page: Borderlands 2 we did this interview at E3 with Randy Pitchford this year.

c. We've partnered with the ++GoodGames Podcast to feature many of the games we carry. They talk to the developers about the game development process, how the games are conceptualized and managed, all kinds of fun stuff. I'm working on putting together full link list and will update when I have it.

What else do we sell?

Xbox Live Points and Subscriptions:

1600 Microsoft Live Points
4000 Microsoft Live Points
12 Month XBOX Live Subscription
3 Month XBOX Live Subscription]
12 Month + 1 XBOX Live Subscription

PSN+ Subscriptions and PSN Points:

$20 PSN Points
$50 PSN Points
12 Month PSN+ Subscription
3 Month PSN+ Subscription

We also have a Free-2-Play store supported by our GameConnect technology. Gameconnect allows you to link your Amazon.com account with free-2-play and MMO accounts so that you can buy things like in game currency, premium game time/subscriptions, in game items, etc. on Amazon.com using your Amazon.com payment options and have this content delivered directly into your game.

5. Price Matching notes: Generally we do not match international retailers (GMG, Gamersgate, etc) or physical retailers (Best Buy, Newegg.com, etc.)
To check out the Free-2-Play games we offer you can visit our storefront here: Free-2-Play Store

Last edited by a moderator:
I still have not yet been able to figure out how to change the default installation directory for Origin. For that reason alone, I hate it. I, like many others, use a small Solid State Drive and a larger Hard Drive, and guess which one Origin always installs to? Meanwhile over on Steam, it lets me choose where I want to install each game.
I forget the name of the program, but it creates 1:1 copies of game directories from one HDD to the other, but the file is still read as if it were on the original drive. It's kinda like creating a ghost of it.

this isn't the same one I use, but I think it's pretty much the same concept:

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/11/15/joy-install-steam-games-to-other-drives/

one thing to note is that yes, it has Steam in the name. So did the program I use, but you can use it for pretty much any file or directory other than system files (I wouldn't fuck with that). I'm assuming the same applies here. Only has Steam in the name for marketing purposes probably.

I still have not yet been able to figure out how to change the default installation directory for Origin. For that reason alone, I hate it. I, like many others, use a small Solid State Drive and a larger Hard Drive, and guess which one Origin always installs to? Meanwhile over on Steam, it lets me choose where I want to install each game.
Seriously? You didn't try very hard because even though Origin doesn't offer much Settings that you can change the install Directory for games is one of them. In Origin.. go to Origin > Application Settings.. then select the "Advanced" tab.. you'll then see the Downloaded Games directory option.

Seriously? You didn't try very hard because even though Origin doesn't offer much Settings that you can change the install Directory for games is one of them. In Origin.. go to Origin > Application Settings.. then select the "Advanced tab".. you'll then see the Downloaded Games directory option.
I don't think that's a solution. He wants to INDIVIDUALLY associate a game to a hard drive each time he purchases a new game. Your suggestion is universal. He'd have to dig through settings every single time, and even then, I dont think Origin would play nice if you had game directories all over the place, unlike steam. Steam gives you control locally, while Origin is global.
I bet that if you have an Origin game on drive D: and Origin was set to install games to drive C:, that game on drive D: will not launch properly. Thus, I think you'd also have to change the setting every time you want to play a game on a different drive. Yeah, no thanks.

Blah ninja'd.

I don't think that's a solution. He wants to INDIVIDUALLY associate a game to a hard drive each time he purchases a new game. Your suggestion is universal. He'd have to dig through settings every single time, and even then, I dont think Origin would play nice if you had game directories all over the place, unlike steam. Steam gives you control locally, while Origin is global.
I bet that if you have an Origin game on drive D: and Origin was set to install games to drive C:, that game on drive D: will not launch properly
He said Steam lets him choose for each individual game but his main problem was that Origin being installed on his SSD was normally installing games on it too. I have the same kind of setup and simply switched the install directory for games on my HDD instead of my boot SSD. And you can change the target directory before each install if you'd want to.. once installed Origin detects it thru your Windows Registry and points to where the installed directory is for that specific game.

I bet that if you have an Origin game on drive D: and Origin was set to install games to drive C:, that game on drive D: will not launch properly. Thus, I think you'd also have to change the setting every time you want to play a game on a different drive. Yeah, no thanks.
Well I was going to respond, but you took my words :) Exactly this. I prefer the 1TB WD Blacks, solely due to the higher failure rate of 2TB+ drives, so I have multiple hard drives to hold the 600+ games I own thanks to this website. When I install a game on Steam, I can choose which Hard Drive to send it to, and I've never had a problem launching a game. However with Origin, it's a huge nightmare.

Also, while we are on the subject, Origin has corrupted my save data on multiple occasions. In one game, it took me hours to fix, and on the other game, I lost my saved data and just quit because I didn't feel like replaying the entire game to get to the end again. Considering I play 80-90% of my time on Steam, and I've never had that happen on Steam, but I've had it happen multiple times in my much more limited experience with Origin, it's a pretty big problem. I'm sorry but I don't want to use a system that can potentially ruin my saved games. The only time I ever use Origin is if a game is ONLY on Origin and even then I would only buy it if it was heavily discounted. I would never pay full price to be forced to use that system and even if I wanted to buy a game at full price, if it was Origin only, that alone would prevent me from doing so. For me, I'm willing to deal with Origin only if the game is being purchased at a huge discount, otherwise it's not worth the hassle.

awesome deals Tony, got Crysis 3 and Thief Pack.

I don't know, for some reason stuff in my backlog on Origin gets even less notice by me than Steam or even Desura backlogged games, both of which I browse regularly and go 'Yep, really ought to play that some time'.

With Origin I don't really ever go there unless I actually want to play something that I don't have on Steam and by play I pretty much mean the stars have to be aligned on a blue moon on a Tuesday on February 29th.
Don't hold your breath!

The lunar month is 29.53 days long. The largest number of days in February is 29.00000000 days. This means that even if the first Full Moon of February was at midnight on February 1 of a Leap Year, the very next Full Moon would be 0.5 x 24 = 12 hours after midnight on February 29, or in other words on the first day of March! The last time there was a Full Moon on February 1 was in 1980 at 2:22 UT. This was a Leap Year so the very next Full Moon happened on March 1 at 21:00 UT. The next time we get a Full Moon on February 1 will be in the year 2026 at 22:10, which is not a Leap Year. The Full Moon after that will happen on March 3 at 11:39.

Thanks for being the least helpful person here.
damn it, who's trying to usurp my crown?

I'm so happy Max Payne 3 and LA Noire are finally on sale. I've never had a chance to take part before. Finally! My god I've been waiting for this. Thanks Tony! I love the diversity in the sales! Seriously; they are NEVER on sale! Like, literally. You were so busy putting newer games on sale that I thought you'd never bother to put an older game like this on sale.

every week over the last year, I've been patiently waiting for MP3 to go on sale...and now it is! YES! Keep the unique deals comin'!
ftfy, you're welcome

I'm so happy you took the time to post this. You NEVER complain, I've been waiting for weeks hoping you'd crack and start ranting, so thanks for finally giving me what I and everyone else wanted! I really appreciate how you switch things up with your posts and are always offering such great suggestions for what Tony could put on sale. For reals, you contribute more than anyone else in this thread so I'm glad you're getting your moment of grieving now and then you'll be back as our favorite member of the thread.

I never get tired of you, keep the great posts coming!
ftfy

damn pasported, but since i already have it quoted

feel better? Deep breaths...come on do them with me.
not really, the stench from this diaper you promised to change is nauseating. I think deep breaths would exacerbate my nausea.

stinky-diaper.png

my dream in life is to hang out with you and bruticus and we can frolick through the meadows while eating ice cream cones and farting rainbows...like this!
Untitled.jpg
lmfao, you can't have rainbows with out sun
ps, why isn't fac carrying his signature diaper?

lmfao, you can't have rainbows with out sun
ps, why isn't fac carrying his signature diaper?
Well, this is all theoretical, so there's not really a good answer for why there's no sun...but fac doesn't have a diaper because this is the happiest day ever...he finally finished changing all those dirty diapers

i deserve a spanking for buying nfs rivals

30 fps racing in 2014 with really corny visual effects

already uninstalled it
You can change it to 60 FPS by adding this to the command line arguments for the game. -GameTime.MaxSimFps 60 -GameTime.ForceSimRate 60+

As a warning, I have finished the racer portion already and it may be just me but I was experiencing a crash whenever a cut scene started. Great game though, I finished it in 3 days and it took around 10ish hours. It is a lot of fun to race others so it can be completed sooner. I have started the cop side but it is not nearly as fun as being racer since you don't get a turbo pursuit tech.

TONY,

My inquiry has nothing to do with EC coupons or the games that they're applied to.

I want to know if the $60 for Dark Souls 2 game download/Steam key is a placeholder price or final retail.

So, I tried to read back in this thread, but gave up when I got to rainbows, moonbows and dirty diapers. (Half a dozen posts back, I know. I just couldn't stomach it)

Does anyone know what the deal is with EC credit not working with The Bureau? Are the coupons dead? Or is it just because AMZN price matched?

EDIT: it's working now...weird

So, I tried to read back in this thread, but gave up when I got to rainbows, moonbows and dirty diapers. (Half a dozen posts back, I know. I just couldn't stomach it)

Does anyone know what the deal is with EC credit not working with The Bureau? Are the coupons dead? Or is it just because AMZN price matched?
I have tried and coupon is working for me.

Someone is interested in Magicka Wizard? I have a code for it.
I want a crossover between Magicka and Pizza Dude called Macgikal Pizza Dude

There will be 10 different ingredients to make spells from, and you'll use these spells to make pizza shops. You'll then use the pizzas to defeat enemies.

Why not use your Magick to defeat enemies? Because. Just because.

Open Origin.

Hit Origin->Application Settings. Go to Advanced. Look at "Your games will be installed to the following location:" Also be aware there is an option to store your game installers in a different location with, "Game installers will be saved to the following location:" as well as an option to turn it off so you don't store the installers after the game is installed.

Hope that helps.

That's cause no one is ever on the servers... (Sorry EA Guy but you all do need to bring more of your console library over... And do so in a respectable manner. Decent ports, with decent options.)
And support EASY activation of older games. I tried ME1 and was a PITA, 1 hour on chat, 2 different people, and couldn't do it

[quote name="HisDivineOrder" post="11476741" timestamp="1390828996"]Open Origin.

Hit Origin->Application Settings. Go to Advanced. Look at "Your games will be installed to the following location:" Also be aware there is an option to store your game installers in a different location with, "Game installers will be saved to the following location:" as well as an option to turn it off so you don't store the installers after the game is installed.

Hope that helps.[/quote]
Hi EA guy!

What's the consensus on Legacy of Kain? Never heard of those games. I picked up Thief because they seem to have gotten good reviews, but doubt I'll really even get into them. CAG is a disease.

What's the consensus on Legacy of Kain? Never heard of those games. I picked up Thief because they seem to have gotten good reviews, but doubt I'll really even get into them. CAG is a disease.
Like Losing?

LoK games use to be blockbuster titles back in the day... At least review wise, they had to stop making them for a reason. I haven't played any of them on PC but on console they where pretty awesome. Its been so long I'm not sure if I can answer if they stand up to the test of time.

[quote name="juanjava" post="11476748" timestamp="1390829638"]And support EASY activation of older games. I tried ME1 and was a PITA, 1 hour on chat, 2 different people, and couldn't do it[/quote]
When I had trouble activating games (crysis warhead and bulletstorm) the chat support was clueless so I went on their customer support twitter channel and that guy added them within a few minutes.

[quote name="Darthstryk3R" post="11476957" timestamp="1390838770"]Need for Speed Rivals dropped to $17.27 (Before EC).... Ive heard alot of criticism about this game but for $12 im very tempted. [/quote]
$12 is a lot for a game that has major issues. I'm passing on it, but mainly cause it doesn't sound like my kind of game. Hearing that it's a crappy port just makes me all the more certain that I'm making the right move.

Bought Tomb Raider, deciding if I want Max Payne 3 and Season Pass, price is great, but a lot of people have complained that they have not been able to play due to Rockstar running out of keys or something like that.

With the origin install dir change one other thing is that it seems some older games do not play nicely if you do not install them to your main drive.

I have a seperate drive for steam/origin/gog/whatever installs. So I changed my default origin dir to one on that drive.  Then one day i got saboteur and the older medal of honor.  Neither would start up at all, googled for a day or two and besides some thing about AMD cards did not find my issue anywhere.  So then I deleted them both, changed my default install dir back to C: (this was after trying reinstalls to my other drive), reinstalled, and then they worked fine.  Changed install dir back to my other drive and now all the games are happy

Just something to watch out for if you install some older games with a different default location

I guess like any other CS, it's who you get. I had them add ME1 and a couple others for me and it took 15 minutes over chat.
Origin customer support has been pretty good for me on activating my older keys...Yet this last time they did ask me for a receipt for crysis wars, which I only had because I purchased on Amazon. So I guess it depends on who you get indeed.

TONY,

My inquiry has nothing to do with EC coupons or the games that they're applied to.

I want to know if the $60 for Dark Souls 2 game download/Steam key is a placeholder price or final retail.
Heyo, not sure yet, I'm actually flying down to Namco tomorrow to talk about a number of things. That is on the list.

Also, GTA IV keys are re-ordered. Going back through the past 20 or so pages now. I'm seeing some excellent MS paint contributions from the weekend.

Cheers,
Tony

Heyo, not sure yet, I'm actually flying down to Namco tomorrow to talk about a number of things. That is on the list.

Also, GTA IV keys are re-ordered. Going back through the past 20 or so pages now. I'm seeing some excellent MS paint contributions from the weekend.

Cheers,
Tony
Like pasports?

my dream in life is to hang out with you and bruticus and we can frolick through the meadows while eating ice cream cones and farting rainbows...like this!
Untitled.jpg
thhis ? that the only one i see give me links to rest tony?

Hope your office doesn't mind tons of bikini ladies. Tebow went a lil crazy this weekend.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back