Amazon PCDD - Important Update New Community Manager Incoming!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amazon DVG Deals

Official Representative
Feedback
4 (100%)
Hey CAGS,

I’ve got some news I’m both excited and sad to share with you at the same time. I’ll be leaving the Digital Video Games team in Mid-March to join the marketing team for Amazon.com’s Loyalty and Rewards program, Amazon Coins. My boss and I have talked extensively about how to maintain and continue our presence here and across the other communities we’ve created in the past couple of years. To that end I’d like to introduce you to Josh, who take over monitoring, updating, and responding to this thread. Josh will be ramping up over the next couple of weeks, he  will be posting shortly to introduce himself.

Now that the “what’s going on” part of the message is out of the way I want to tell you all how much I love CAG and the posters here. This was the first community I joined when I started this job (anyone still remember that first thread?) and all of you have had a huge hand in shaping how we think about and execute Community Development and Management here at Amazon, which has in turn shaped my career these last two and a half years.

I started to write out a section calling out the regular posters and realized the list would be both overly long and incomplete at the same time. Instead I’d like to thank you all again, you all have my deep and sincere gratitude. I’ll still be around and my gaming accounts aren’t going anywhere so feel free to hit me up anytime you want to chat. I’ll probably still hang out in the thread too :).

Thanks again everyone, let me or Josh know if you have any questions!

The Indie Store has launched!
Amazon.com is launching a storefront dedicated to supporting and promoting PC/Mac/Web-based Indie Games. Our Digital Video Games team is a small group of passionate gamers and we’re all really excited to help Indie developers reach more customers quickly by providing a quick and simple process for bringing their games to market. Additionally we’ll be supporting the Indie Store with a ton of promotions, both at and after launch. Many of these promotions are designed to give the developer the opportunity to maximize their revenue. For example, Amazon is forfeiting all royalties from bundle sales and passing them along directly to the developer, we’ve also created an “Indie Spotlight” program to help customers learn more about the games and developers they love. We view the Indie developers as some of the most creative in the industry and we want to help them continue to create new and innovative experience for customers.

Why we are doing this:

• Allow customers to discover an entirely new category of games on Amazon.com
  • Help developers reach new customers quickly. Our onboarding process is straightforward and we want to sell every Indie game available
  • We want to leverage our strengths to support and help the developers who are driving forward innovation and creativity in the games industry
General Information

Hi CAGs,
I'll be posting deals we're running on Digital Games (PC/Mac, Free to Play, Sony/Microsoft Points/Subs).

I'm also here to answer questions you might have, get you closer to the developers by hosting Q&As, setting up podcasts, live streaming gameplay etc. If I don't respond to a question you have in thread please send me a PM. These ping my email address and make it more likely that I will see your question and respond more quickly.

Cheers,
Tony

FYI. EA Games sold by Amazon will not activate on Steam.
F.A.Q.S.:

1. Does the game I'm buying from Amazon Activate on Steam/Origin/Uplay? What DRM does the game use?

There are two places to identify DRM on a digital video game detail page:

At the top of the page, below the title:

16hm7a8.png

In the "Product Description" section:

r06ykl.jpg

2. Note on Electronic Arts Games - For the most part, EA games sold on Amazon do not activate on Steam. Most activate on Origin.

3. Note on DRM with limited activations:

Our Policy

4. Sometimes I'll do giveaways.

5. I work with developers and publishers to get fun (or at least what I think is fun) content to share with you all. Here are some examples:

a. Check out the Pax Gameplay videos here: Xcom: Enemy Unknown I played Xcom with Jake, the Creative Director for the game, a few months before the game came out Also, on this page, check out the Q&A, also a community driven event.

b. Check out the interview on this page: Borderlands 2 we did this interview at E3 with Randy Pitchford this year.

c. We've partnered with the ++GoodGames Podcast to feature many of the games we carry. They talk to the developers about the game development process, how the games are conceptualized and managed, all kinds of fun stuff. I'm working on putting together full link list and will update when I have it.

What else do we sell?

Xbox Live Points and Subscriptions:

1600 Microsoft Live Points
4000 Microsoft Live Points
12 Month XBOX Live Subscription
3 Month XBOX Live Subscription]
12 Month + 1 XBOX Live Subscription

PSN+ Subscriptions and PSN Points:

$20 PSN Points
$50 PSN Points
12 Month PSN+ Subscription
3 Month PSN+ Subscription

We also have a Free-2-Play store supported by our GameConnect technology. Gameconnect allows you to link your Amazon.com account with free-2-play and MMO accounts so that you can buy things like in game currency, premium game time/subscriptions, in game items, etc. on Amazon.com using your Amazon.com payment options and have this content delivered directly into your game.

5. Price Matching notes: Generally we do not match international retailers (GMG, Gamersgate, etc) or physical retailers (Best Buy, Newegg.com, etc.)
To check out the Free-2-Play games we offer you can visit our storefront here: Free-2-Play Store

Last edited by a moderator:
Hell Yeah! is intrinsically broken for multiple reasons, such as inconsistent checkpoints that force you to redo large chunks of the levels and wade through scenes and dialogue you've already watched, but the main issue is that it's a fast paced platformer shooter that doesn't allow you to rebind the jump key to another button to allow simultaneous jumping and shooting.

You're just fine passing it up. It's cute and it's not the worst game, but it's broken and the developer ignored all complaints about it. It's the only game I ever asked for my money back for, EVER, and I haven't touched it since even though it's still attached to my Steam account.
Finally! Someone else who doesn't like Yell Heah, too. I played the demo (last summer) when CAGs were jumping on it for $3-something. I did not like the mechanics (also the art/story did nothing for me).

i) He was promoted already and is training his replacement, AmazonBob, who's CAG account hasn't been cleared to post yet
AmazonBob is very excited to cut you a deal!

Bob,_Cecil_and_Dad.jpg

He's got a pineapple on his head, he's got a pineapple on his head.

The problem is that I'm not American.
This! ;)

...I can assure you, it has some real downsides too, like the joy of being in the middle east when the Abu Ghraib scandal broke (Gulf War II, already wasn't that well received). Have you ever tried to pass as Albanian?

Hey Amazon, I got paid on Friday, and it's still in my bank account.......that means you're doing something wrong. At this point, I don't care if you assign an intern to mediate until you figure out who's doing what. Where my deals brah?

Since digital and physical are due to be merged under one J-Dosh, how about some kind of preorder deal on the Diablo 3 expansion??  For some reason I like the boxed copies of Blizzard games.

And if you're still around Tony, how about hooking me up with a killer Kindle Fire HDX 8.9 deal for my birthday?!?!  (I need all the help I can find to get my wife on board!)

Tumbleweed_trouble%202.jpg

At least we know where Tebow has been now.  The tumbleweeds must've gotten to him early.

Since digital and physical are due to be merged under one J-Dosh, how about some kind of preorder deal on the Diablo 3 expansion?? For some reason I like the boxed copies of Blizzard games.
Same and same. I like boxed copies of Blizzard games because if you're not giving me a pricebreak for the pure digital version, I want the box. I didn't jump on the digital download bandwagon until digital download sales were more attractive than bargin-bin prices.

Dear Josh,

Whenever you visit this thread again, you'll realize we are pretty high maintenance and suffer separation anxiety.

Eagerly Awaiting Your Return,

creeper.jpg

The mixed DRM thing in bundles definitely needs to go. You've got two very polarized camps for digital games one being pro and the other being anti Steam (you'll find more of the former here) but both sides will hate mixed DRM bundles and not want to buy them.

I'm assuming that was Josh's doing since that's a noob mistake. Tony did that a long time ago when he first started putting bundles together but after a bunch of people chewed him out over it he stopped doing it and never did it again.

Same and same. I like boxed copies of Blizzard games because if you're not giving me a pricebreak for the pure digital version, I want the box. I didn't jump on the digital download bandwagon until digital download sales were more attractive than bargin-bin prices.
FWIW I have the box copy of D3 and when I went to reinstall recently just opted straight from digital download. The disc is horribly out of date and there have been many patches since then, some of them quite huge and comprehensive. It just makes more sense to me for anything but a new game to install from digital from the source.

That's not to say I won't go for boxed if it's cheaper. When I got D3 on Black Friday 2012 it was $10 for the box from Microsoft vs $60 for digital from Blizzard, so yeah box it was.

All things being equal if I have to pay more and the price is the same I think I would still opt for digital unless the physical version had some trinkets or swag or some such.

Even behind the times Blizzard's gotten to the point where their boxed copies are just a code in a box that you activate to an account plus some horribly outdated data on a disc that you'll end up re-downloading tons of large patches on anyway.

Boxed might be okay for re-releases of classic games like D2 though where we know they won't really be getting anymore updates. *shrug*

The mixed DRM thing in bundles definitely needs to go. You've got two very polarized camps for digital games one being pro and the other being anti Steam (you'll find more of the former here) but both sides will hate mixed DRM bundles and not want to buy them.

I'm assuming that was Josh's doing since that's a noob mistake. Tony did that a long time ago when he first started putting bundles together but after a bunch of people chewed him out over it he stopped doing it and never did it again.

FWIW I have the box copy of D3 and when I went to reinstall recently just opted straight from digital download. The disc is horribly out of date and there have been many patches since then, some of them quite huge and comprehensive. It just makes more sense to me for anything but a new game to install from digital from the source.

That's not to say I won't go for boxed if it's cheaper. When I got D3 on Black Friday 2012 it was $10 for the box from Microsoft vs $60 for digital from Blizzard, so yeah box it was.

All things being equal if I have to pay more and the price is the same I think I would still opt for digital unless the physical version had some trinkets or swag or some such.

Even behind the times Blizzard's gotten to the point where their boxed copies are just a code in a box that you activate to an account plus some horribly outdated data on a disc that you'll end up re-downloading tons of large patches on anyway.

Boxed might be okay for re-releases of classic games like D2 though where we know they won't really be getting anymore updates. *shrug*
I already had DL'ed the Starter Kit (for up to Skeleton King).

When I bought D3 Retail Box a while back from TRU for $10 - all I did was apply my game-code to my BNet account and let it update.

Whereas I have a box copy of D3 and recently installed it from disc, and then I waited for the 12gb patch to download. Yeah. Probably wasn't worth bothering with the disc.

Retail copies of Blizzard games are good to have if you ever forget your password and need to recover your account.
I've long since lost my D2 box and had to rebuy it a little bit ago :roll:.

Hopefully that sort of thing is no longer the case and they won't delete old accounts or make it near impossible to recover or re-activate them without the box. I'll try to hold onto the D3 box just in case but I honestly don't know that I'll 10+ years be able to hold onto it. :p

Hopefully that sort of thing is no longer the case and they won't delete old accounts or make it near impossible to recover or re-activate them without the box. I'll try to hold onto the D3 box just in case but I honestly don't know that I'll 10+ years be able to hold onto it. :p
They asked me for the code from a boxed copy but I don't have any so I have to send them a scan of my driver's license. So yep, they still make it a pain. If I were you I would at least scan a copy and keep it digitally backed up.

Did you lose your LoD box, too?

Or do you have the Diablo Battle Chest w/ both?

Wait - can we activate our Retail D2 + LoD keys on BNet?

Yeah, I was was literally focused on the box... chuck the key into the account and treat it like a digital purchase (with a distinct lack of meatspace-copy-cyberspace-paste functionality). For the same price, I'd like to have the box on my shelf (I can later chuck it if desired).

Just take a picture of box/serial card.

I dredged up my D2 keys from a text file I had stored them in way back when. (easier than reaching for the box)

Wait - can we activate our Retail D2 + LoD keys on BNet?
Yes, and I strongly adivise that you do. The only reason to install from disc is if you wanted to run on an older patch version.

https://us.battle.net/account/management/add-game.html

Well, i'm here since [background=#23252b] 05 Jan 2012 and it is my avatar since then so..in that case you should change it.[/background]
[background=#23252b]But I don't mind if you want to keep it. Homer is enough big for both of us.[/background]

If we consider number of post for all time been in CAG, number of likes and feedback, I win!

You: 184 post in 26 months
Me: 169 post in 14 months

So do I get to complain that I left for 2 weeks, came back and "someone" had started using a Samus Aran avatar? I wasn't, but since you brought it up. I swear, if he starts posting in green text....

So do I get to complain that I left for 2 weeks, came back and "someone" had started using a Samus Aran avatar? I wasn't, but since you brought it up. I swear, if he starts posting in green text....
... it'll be weird and freaky? Almost as wierd and freaky as posting in pink/purple text? =P

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back