Amazon Prime is REALLY a good deal.

Reality's Fringe

CAGiversary!
Feedback
8 (100%)
I never really realized just how much I was saving until I did the math for one month of purchases. I recently relocated for military training, and had to purchase a lot of new stuff. If I wanted 2 day shipping on all of it, it would've run me over $300. That $79 annual pays for itself. I wonder why more people aren't in on it?

Just thought I'd show some love.

For me no tax and two day shipping is too good. Amazon is one of my favorite online retailer because it almost takes the hassle out of online shopping, the fact that it has no tax, and you can get 1day shipping for a few bucks (basically tax+gas ride is what i think) more with prime, plus Customer service has always been great for me and their return policy is good too. The only reason I can think for not having prime is not shopping there often enough (Where else are you shopping?)/You don't want to shop there so much cause prime makes you order E v e r y t h i n g even if you don't need it.

But Prime is an amazing deal in my opinion and there has also been some speculation at possibly in the near future free amazon kindles for all prime members which would make prime even better.

I don't need 2 day shipping.

Free 5 day shipping is fine for me, I see no reason to pay $80 a year to get things slightly faster.

This no tax for things bought online.. Isn't it just a fancy way of tax evasion ? Because basically your agreeing that you will pay the tax your self.. and not though the company ?

I could be wrong.. but i remember hearing that some place.

The 2 day shipping isn't a huge deal to me but release day delivery is pretty awesome.

I had a 3 month trial but I'm not gonna sign up for it. It's just not worth it to me in the long run... I almost did it when ECA codes worked but $80 a year is the price for 2-4 games (depending on the sale... possibly more).

With the amount of money that I save on my law school books ($20-40 per book), it's well worth it for me. I need my books fast and I don't usually have the luxury to wait a week to get them in.

Like some others, I simply see no reason for me to pay $80 to get stuff slightly faster. Amazon has almost always been pretty good to me with their free shipping. If I pre-order game, I generally get it within a day or two of release.

I think I'll be saving money since my 3 month trial ran out. I bought way too much stuff considering I didn't have to pay for shipping under $25. Release day shipping is pretty sweet though.

My trial just ran out, and I loved it simply because I didn't have to find filler to get the FSSS. But yeah, 75 dollars a year isn't worth it to me because I don't need fast delivery on things I buy on amazon.

I only pay 17 a year sharing it with people. good deal, especially during black friday sales and stuff when you want to buy one game under $25 and don't have to pay for shippign.

[quote name='carbontiger']Not everyone gets no tax though. :cry:[/QUOTE]

Freakin Washington State gets taxed as well almost 10% too. And they are talking about raising them as well..... Stupid politicians.

Prime is a great deal for me. I buy a ton of stuff on Amazon because it's convenient. I can either buy it on Amazon or go out, waste about $5 in gas, 30 minutes of my time OR I can have it delivered to my house in 1-2 days. Most of the items ship from a shipping center one state away and I can get them next day if I order them early enough. I won't be giving up my prime any time soon.

I find I get along fine without prime, due to the fact I live in NY I shop a lot at newegg and ebay because those stores do not charge tax to NY. But I still order from amazon occasionally especially when there is a very good deal. Their prices are still cheaper than a retail store and their selection and customer service is top notch, something you won't find at a retail store in my area. There are pretty much no electronics stores here so if you want that stuff its either walmart, target, officemax or drive 45 min just to go to best buy and get ripped off (even walmart and target have higher prices than amazon). Yup amazon and newegg it is for me.

People harp jon the "I don't need itemsin 2 days" to bash Prime but I love the fact that I don't have to pad my cart to $25 to get free ship.

[quote name='Chickenmumbo']People harp jon the "I don't need itemsin 2 days" to bash Prime but I love the fact that I don't have to pad my cart to $25 to get free ship.[/QUOTE]

I get around this by adding stuff to my cart over time and saving them for later (usually stuff that runs ~$15), and just picking whatever I need the most to ship along with whatever I need to fill. Other than that, I'm with the patient crowd--Amazon generally takes 5 days max to get my stuff to me anyway, and plus I order maybe once a month, so I can't really justify the cost.

I find I do a lot of Amazon orderingover the weekend and 2 say ship works out better for me. I like being able to order right away during price drops and not missing out on them because I was padding for free ship. Christmas shopping alone was a blessing and worth the bucks. But I say each to his own.

I'm with those who can wait, free shipping is still the better choice. If you're impatient enough to waste $80 then it's your loss. It's pretty easy to meet the $25 minimum.

[quote name='DPsx7']I'm with those who can wait, free shipping is still the better choice. If you're impatient enough to waste $80 then it's your loss. It's pretty easy to meet the $25 minimum.[/QUOTE]

every order is $25+ vs. a one time cost of $80 for unlimited orders. yeah, big waste.

Since I live in the same state as Amazon's headquarters, I get to pay tax too. But, I just sign up for the free trials when available and use my sisters. ;)

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']Like some others, I simply see no reason for me to pay $80 to get stuff slightly faster. Amazon has almost always been pretty good to me with their free shipping. If I pre-order game, I generally get it within a day or two of release.[/QUOTE]I've had Prime for multiple consecutive years, except for a year I dropped it because I thought I didn't need it and decided to get it back. It's money well spent for me because:

* On an per-order basis, the more you order, the more the "cost" is spread out per order. I order it from Amazon first and foremost unless I need it same-day or Amazon isn't the lowest price around.
* Some large/heavy items don't always qualify for FSSS and having Prime gets around that.
* An expanded window for holiday ordering for gifts in time for the holidays by a couple of days has been helpful knowing that I don't have to pay for expedited shipping costs.
* Free release-date delivery on items that support it.
* Some intangible perception that orders placed from an account with Prime get shipped out faster/quicker than non-Prime orders.

I've had two instances where I didn't pay the full $79 dollars for Prime:
* Christmas season 2008, where there was a $59 promotion for the full year of Prime, and a thread I posted on here about it. The only time I've seen it discounted.
* Christmas season 2006 (or 2005, not sure), when they did their first "choose your sale item" promotion and I won the option to buy $100 GC for the toy store and one year of Prime for $120. Nets out to Prime for $20.

Every other time, I've spent the $79 and not regretted it except for the year I didn't renew it.

With the amount of ordering I do on Amazon, it's spread out enough that I don't notice it. That, and with the money I've saved from Amazon alone certainly pays for it.

Prime has been useful to my family. We split the cost and I'm pretty sure we order enough items to offset the cost of prime. Brother = 2-3 items per month, cousins = 1-3 items per month, myself 1-2 items per month.

Estimating that shipping is $3.00, we need about 26 orders to offset the cost. I believe we have passed that number.

I love Prime and have done a couple of trial periods (including one ending this month :bomb:), but like others I wouldn't pay money for it. The $25 minimum for FSSS has never been an issue for me, and I have absolutely no problem waiting a few extra days for stuff to come in the mail.

[quote name='carbontiger']I think I'll be saving money since my 3 month trial ran out. I bought way too much stuff considering I didn't have to pay for shipping under $25. Release day shipping is pretty sweet though.[/QUOTE]

i am so right there with you dude, i looked at my previous amazon purchases over the passed like 2-3 years, ever since i got trial 1 month + 3 months of amazon prime, totalling to 4 months of prime, i have bought more stuff from amazon in those 4 months then i have in total over the past 3-4 years, and thats saying a lot because i buy a decent amount from amazon. Its well worth it if you shop at amazon a lot, because the prime shipping sometimes delivers the next day, i remember ordering something monday morning and getting it tuesday.

Hell yeah it's a good deal.

After having it, you won't be able to go without it. Nothing beats free 2-day shipping and $4 next day shipping.

all this talk about no tax, thats not a factor for Prime, everyone can get taxed or have no tax depending on where they live.

Yeah, after I specifically disabled my auto renewal for the last 3 month trial, low-n-behold, on the day it was up, it auto renewed by trying to bill one of my stored payments w/ insufficient funds, rolled right over and tried the next card! :bomb: Initially I was upset and wanted to call and cancel immediately. But I thought about it and still have it active. Haven't ordered anything from there yet though..:roll: :lol:

I tend to gravitate towards there for x-mas shopping and all the sales in November. But anytime there is a post on here for a >$10 game w/ Prime I don't have, it's ordered!

I love Prime I've had probably like 5 months of trials but I've never really had the desire to go out and pay $79 upfront to do it..

It's also not just free shipping 5 days vs 2 of prime.. Amazon takes their time processing free shipping in my use.. it can be 3-5 (if not more) days before they actually ship it. Amazon normally ships prime the next day if not the same day.

I also have to say I order a lot more from AZ if I have prime.

[quote name='Boeing 747']I love Prime I've had probably like 5 months of trials but I've never really had the desire to go out and pay $79 upfront to do it..

It's also not just free shipping 5 days vs 2 of prime.. Amazon takes their time processing free shipping in my use.. it can be 3-5 (if not more) days before they actually ship it. Amazon normally ships prime the next day if not the same day.

I also have to say I order a lot more from AZ if I have prime.[/QUOTE]

amazon should make this there shipping model, people would order so much more from them if all their shipping was free 2 day shipping.

If anyone wants to do a group Prime, I have 2 spots left at $16 each.

I'm under the same name at gametz.com, where two people are joining with me. If anyone here is interested, please let me know. The only information needed is email address, name and date of birth.

Thanks.

EDIT: ALL SPOTS TAKEN.

Last edited by a moderator:
I let my prime expire, but Amazon Prime + Amazon.com visa + No sales tax in FL on Amazon was a great combo. Amazon was $100 cheaper than Newegg for the laptop I wanted, plus $4.00 to get overnight shipping instead of $20 two or three day New Egg shipping, plus 4200 credit card points (triple points when ordering from Amazon) which is almost enough for a $50 check - you can get cash instead of gift cards with their Visa.

I tried a free Amazon Prime trial, and although it was nice, I'm not going to pay for it just yet.

Its just me and my husband who order from Amazon, and most of the items we buy are in the $25 and up range. Lower priced items, we make sure to combine them to qualify for free shipping. (We always have stuff saved up on our our wish lists for this. "Honey, I'm ordering a $20 book. Do you have a $5+ item you want too?")

There are also two Amazon warehouses, one in my state and another in the state next door. Often the items from Amazon will come in from those two warehouses in 2 days anyways with free standard shipping because they're so close.

Now, if Amazon Prime applied to EVERYONE that sold on Amazon, like the third party used resellers, I'd be all over that. Someone wants to sell a $2 item, but charge $10 in shipping and handling? I'd so pay for Amazon Prime if it stopped bullshit like that from taking place.

Amazon Prime pays for itself with RDD alone, not to mention the gas and convenience of free 2 day shipping on anything i want under 25 bucks.

My prime is about to run out and I hope my brother will chip in and help me pay for prime, since he orders a lot of stuff too, so I can continue with free 2 day shipping.

It seems my prime always runs out when a really good deal on a game under $25 is on sale I don't want to add some crap I don't want/need for FSSS.

I totally agree with my fellow prime members....once you have it, you can't let it go. RDD, no $25 limit, and only $4 to get next day delivery for stuff that's usually cheaper than retail....what's not to love? And I'm lucky enough to live in a no-tax state as well, so that makes the $79 a complete no-brainer. But as someone who didn't always have it, I certainly understand those who don't want to pay for prime.

Bottom line is that Prime spoils you. It's hard to shift back. I did it a few times but found the aggravation of coming up with fillers to get FSSS was too irritating.

Being in Cali, I pay no tax, and I love love love Prime. I order just about everything from Amazon nowadays - games, books, even cosmetic supplies and such.

I ordered Super Street Fighter IV last week with $10 future credit. I didn't get that future credit yet because the game didn't ship yet. Today I'd buy the deal of the day (God of War III) if I had that $10 future credit from SSFIV. If I had prime last week SSFIV would have shipped right away and I'd have my $10 credit to put towards GOW III. This is just an example as this happened multiple times to me. By the time I get my future credit the sale I'm interested in is already gone because I opted for free (SLOW) shipping. Some people may look at this as a moot point cause you pay $80 for shipping in order to get your future credit quicker, but I look at it as you miss out on a sale plus it's taking longer for you to get your games. lol.

For me i don't care about speed. I can wait a few days to get items, and I never have problems ordering a minimum of $25. It's nice but for me it's just not needed

I'm not ragging on Prime. I think it's a wonderful service that may pay for itself.

But I'm a freakin' patient person. I don't have to pad my orders to reach $25, a single video-game or two DVD sets that I want will usually suffice. And that $75 a year can go to more stuff I want.

[quote name='Chickenmumbo']People harp jon the "I don't need itemsin 2 days" to bash Prime but I love the fact that I don't have to pad my cart to $25 to get free ship.[/QUOTE]

This is what I think Prime is best for. e.g., today there's a deal on a sweet dog toy for $7. Now I don't have to spend more money or look for "fillers" (aka more crap I don't need) in order to get free shipping on it.

Thanks Amazon for kicking ass, and I will continue my prime subscription.

[quote name='Rasen']I'm not ragging on Prime. I think it's a wonderful service that may pay for itself.

But I'm a freakin' patient person. I don't have to pad my orders to reach $25, a single video-game or two DVD sets that I want will usually suffice. And that $75 a year can go to more stuff I want.[/QUOTE]

Well where prime really shines is a sale pops up for an item

I like it because now I can buy smaller stuff on Amazon. I used to wait until I had $25 or more in my cart so I could get free shipping. Now I just buy everything on Amazon, and actually it gets here in 1 day for most items.

[quote name='KillerRamen']With the amount of money that I save on my law school books ($20-40 per book), it's well worth it for me. I need my books fast and I don't usually have the luxury to wait a week to get them in.[/QUOTE]

This. I don't have Amazon Prime (have done a free trial though), because I can't really justify spending money to have toys, trinkets, and books I buy for fun get to me a few days earlier. However, if I needed time sensitive material on a regular basis, or were a college student, I'd totally shell out for Prime just to get textbooks cheaper.

If I were a student again, I'd rather give $80 plus my business to Amazon instead of getting assraped by my college campus bookstore repeatedly every quarter.

I'm not going to read through the thread, but I have a feeling most people will say something along the lines that five day shipping is good enough for them. Until I started buying a lot of my stuff on Amazon, it was good enough for me too. When you do so much shopping at Amazon you start wanting things faster, well, at least I do anyway.

My wife and I are moving soon and we'll probably plump down an order of house stuff for over $500. Granted, we could wait an extra few days for it, but it'll be nice to get things sooner rather than later. It all comes down to how much you shop there vs. how important $80 is per year/how important doing without what you ordered a few extra days.

$80 bucks a year is worth it to me since I do a lot of Amazon shopping. I can't wait til their black Friday week deals. I made a killing last November.

bread's done
Back