Amazon Prime Members get 20% off Games from Pre-orders and New Releases

Jeff Jr.

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
Didn't see this posted.

Prime Members get 20% off New Releases and Pre-Orders till 2 weeks after releases Date. 

http://www.amazon.com/b/?&node=13584215011

Prime Exclusive Savings 20% off new physical video games during pre-order through two weeks after release Discount will be applied automatically at checkout Offer valid when shipped and sold by Amazon Offer will be automatically extended to all existing Prime member pre-orders.

Last edited by a moderator:
if amazon had 20% off everyday for new games ...even with 100 dollar prime..which also gives you video service and 2 day prime shipping and a 10000% better customer service I'd probably never shop at best buy again lol

if amazon had 20% off everyday for new games ...even with 100 dollar prime..which also gives you video service and 2 day prime shipping and a 10000% better customer service I'd probably never shop at best buy again lol
If you haven't tried Prime Music, it's really awesome. Even allows offline download and listen on Android phones.

Just wanted to say bravo to Best Buy.  I will still prefer to buy at BestBuy because of their rewards and the possibility for the extra 10 rewards too.  They must have really hurt amazon's sales this year for them to step up like this. 

Meanwhile, at Gamestop corporate HQ

Michael-Scott-angry-stare-at-toby.gif

amazon is clearly better now
no in-store activation/ no human contact needed.
Its good but only 2 weeks after release. I wait a good couple months on some games for that BestBuy sale + gcu...

Dont get me wrong im down with this shit right here tho. Amazon must have really seen some big drop offs on preorders and new releases.

if they adjust my preorder from way back oct, that would be great! i really dont want to have to cancel it because of all the other discounts applied already.

Are they offering 20% off collectors editions too?
I got 20% off Dark Souls 3 CE. Seeing others get 20% prime of orher CE's, gonna give amazon CS a call tonight for discounts. Amazon has slowly moved against BB with new releases but I wanna see Amazon prime discount on all games anytime and not just pre-orders.

Its good but only 2 weeks after release. I wait a good couple months on some games for that BestBuy sale + gcu...

Dont get me wrong im down with this shit right here tho. Amazon must have really seen some big drop offs on preorders and new releases.
This.

Love the fact Amazon is doing this (BB must *really* have hurt sales, I know I pretty much switched my gaming purchases to BB)

Will probably still purchase at BB with GCU for sales and "older" games, but pre-orders and such.. Amazon will be getting some more of my purchases back.

Does anyone know if Senran Kagura Estival Versus "Endless Summer Edition" will be available from BB, and if so, will it likely get a $10 reward?

Amazon Prime is looking like a better deal than GCU for new releases considering that I don't have to pay taxes, but the $10 reward would give back GCU the advantage.

Does anyone know if Senran Kagura Estival Versus "Endless Summer Edition" will be available from BB, and if so, will it likely get a $10 reward?

Amazon Prime is looking like a better deal than GCU for new releases considering that I don't have to pay taxes, but the $10 reward would give back GCU the advantage.
You also get points with BB.

You also get points with BB.
true.

with me, no tax or shipping with Amazon. and competent packaging..

BB has tax, shipping, and packaging is hit or miss. mostly miss.. unless I want to pick up in store. but that involves.... people :wall:

(I know you can get free shipping on orders over $35 is it? and if you are the elite.. but i'm not elite, and if it's a $7.99 game.. tax/shipping makes it not worthwhile to order. can PM on amazon and pay less in the end..)

BB still has the advantage with the $10 (on some games) and the points, and 20% all games.

Talked to one of the customer service and no luck for a 20% discount for Fire Emblem Special Edition...
Was anybody else able to get it?
I haven't tried to get adjustments yet because I figure it will kick in automatically in a couple days, or at least before it ships, but it's pretty clear that it should apply, as it has the "Prime members pay $63.99 for this game," notice on its item page.

BB has tax, shipping, and packaging is hit or miss. mostly miss.. unless I want to pick up in store. but that involves.... people :wall:
You get competent packaging? That's actually my biggest issue with Amazon, that they ship everything in bubble mailers. This is a huge issue for me with books, but they do it with CE games, too.

Was able to order the Twilight Princess HD with amiibo bundle from Amazon for $48 and cancel the Best Buy $48+tax order.  Very cool of Amazon to do this!

You get competent packaging? That's actually my biggest issue with Amazon, that they ship everything in bubble mailers. This is a huge issue for me with books, but they do it with CE games, too.
depends on my orders, small boxes if i order more than 1 item or bubble mailers. never had anything crushed here.. I don't order books, and every CE i've ordered (which isn't many) have been in boxes.

Just wanted to say bravo to Best Buy. I will still prefer to buy at BestBuy because of their rewards and the possibility for the extra 10 rewards too. They must have really hurt amazon's sales this year for them to step up like this.
I have prime, but I will still buy at bestbuy for the rewards points and to support my local electronics store. I need to touch certain electronics and play with them before I can buy them. Without an electronics store nearby life would suck for me.

Shot Amazon an email asking if they're going to adjust my Fire Emblem Special Edition and Twilight Princess preorders since it says on both product pages that they get the 20% off and preexisting preorders would apply. Hope they don't make this difficult.

Talked to one of the customer service and no luck for a 20% discount for Fire Emblem Special Edition...
Was anybody else able to get it?
They better give it to you, considering the page for FE even says that preexisting preorders count:

hV2uAkG.jpg

Pretty crazy. I remember the days of Amazon giving $20 GCs with preorders. I'm in BB GCU till at least Mar 2018 and also find their rewards system to be very good. I also like a physical store.

I'm so angry.  Talked to an amazon CS person and they told me they won't give me my 20% discount on pre-orders until the game is released. Seriously Amazon should bring back CS to America. I'm tired of dealing with Indian, Filipinos and other Southeast Asian Telecom companies that don't have a clue on amazon sales or policies.  So frustrated that I'm now cancelling and re-ordering old CE's where I can.

I haven't tried to get adjustments yet because I figure it will kick in automatically in a couple days, or at least before it ships, but it's pretty clear that it should apply, as it has the "Prime members pay $63.99 for this game," notice on its item page.
Shot Amazon an email asking if they're going to adjust my Fire Emblem Special Edition and Twilight Princess preorders since it says on both product pages that they get the 20% off and preexisting preorders would apply. Hope they don't make this difficult.

They better give it to you, considering the page for FE even says that preexisting preorders count:

hV2uAkG.jpg
Thanks! It wasn't listed when I was talking with customer service so it was a huge hassle. Glad that I was able to get a discount for this game.

As was already mentioned by Eldritch in the AWD thread, it looks like they sent out an email regarding the preexisting preorders tonight:

Dear Amazon.com Customer,

Thank you for your recent purchase of a pre-order game.

As a Prime member, you enjoy 20% off the list price on physical games during pre-order through two weeks after release. Your Prime Exclusive Savings will be automatically applied to your existing pre-order(s). Your Prime Exclusive Savings will be automatically applied to your existing pre-orders within 5 business days. To verify, please visit "Your Account > Your Orders > Order Details" and look for the discount marked as "Prime Savings."

Thanks for being a Prime member.

Amazon.com Video Games
I'm glad I received this, as their reply to my email was... confusing.

I'm sorry this promotion wasn't applied to your order.

Since your order is currently being prepared for shipment, I don't want to make any changes that may cause a delay.

However, once your order ships, I'll request a refund of $27.98 to your Credit Card. I'll send you a confirmation e-mail once I do so, and you'll see the refund 2-3 business days after I request it.

Once processed, you'll be able to see the refund here:
...I'm just going to leave that alone and hope nothing explodes for me. Unless they're actually somehow preparing my order already; in that case, sweet, Fire Emblem a month early.

I'm so angry. Talked to an amazon CS person and they told me they won't give me my 20% discount on pre-orders until the game is released. Seriously Amazon should bring back CS to America. I'm tired of dealing with Indian, Filipinos and other Southeast Asian Telecom companies that don't have a clue on amazon sales or policies. So frustrated that I'm now cancelling and re-ordering old CE's where I can.
lol

or you could just wait until the end of the week like a normal person. like the e-mail stated.

This is a great add-on for prime members although it's clearly inferior to Best Buy. That said, Best Buy doesn't have stores within driving distance to everyone in the country so it's a hell of a deal since some people only have GameStop or Walmart. For me, I'll stick with Best Buy most of the time but will definitely buy games from Amazon some again.

Considering GameStop saw new game sales decline 10%, I"m thinking Amazon saw something similar and found out it was because of GCU so they're doing this.

I'll still support BestBuy all the way but it's nice perk for Amazon Prime users. I'm a little less supportive of them nowadays with their superpower status and some possibly bad work conditions, but will still order occasionally. Not owning Prime has cut a lot of my compulsive buying of random crap at least.
The working conditions have been known for some time now. They used to be awful. People would have to run around the giant warehouses. Now they've got over half of them switched to more automation so the employees aren't as bad off. I don't think you have to feel bad about buying from Amazon now (besides, who knows what Best Buy's warehouses are like). They don't have to run around the warehouse now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UtBa9yVZBJM

Considering GameStop saw new game sales decline 10%, I"m thinking Amazon saw something similar and found out it was because of GCU so they're doing this.
I've canceled several CE preorders at Amazon after them being listed at Best Buy and each time I was asked to fill out the reason why. Each time I put "found a better deal at another retailer." They probably got a bunch of these types of cancellations over time and the only place one could typically get a better deal on a preorder is through GCU. That's my guess as to why they are only price matching GCU on preorders and games within 2 weeks of launch.

$30 GCU - 2 Year Membership > $100 Amazon Prime - 1 Year Membership
Not exactly the best comparison. For purely saving money on games, yeah GCU is still a way better deal... but many people already have Prime, and with Prime video, Prime audio, and 2-say shipping, Prime is still one of the best values you can find in any service imo.

But for buying games, I'll still stick with GCU for the double reward points and no restrictions on 20% off price (all games and no need to preorder)

This does make Prime more compelling for me to get now, but GCU is still a much better deal at $30 for two years and 20% off any new game you buy. Next time they have a sale on Prime I think I'll get it though, despite the two weeks after release crap on the 20% discount this will be good to use on all of those Vita games that Best Buy never carry. 

I was able to pre-order Twilight Princess HD this morning using the 20% discount. I had hoped to pick it up at Best Buy with GCU and use a $5 rewards certificate that expires in February, but it has been sold out online for months.

true.

(I know you can get free shipping on orders over $35 is it? and if you are the elite.. but i'm not elite, and if it's a $7.99 game.. tax/shipping makes it not worthwhile to order. can PM on amazon and pay less in the end..)

BB still has the advantage with the $10 (on some games) and the points, and 20% all games.
It's flip for me. Best Buy have competent packaging while Amazon have been terrible. In the last 4 or so years, I've had terrible luck when it comes to Amazon packaging/shipment. There isn't ever a time where the game arrived in good condition. Because of how Amazon have been handling shipment, I haven't gotten an on time release day delivery since 5 years ago. One of the last straw for me was when they sent me SMT IV in a bubble mailer resulting in the box being torn. I returned it to amazon, and got a copy at best buy in perfect condition.

Honestly, Best Buy is a godsend for me, I've gotten games on Day 1, sometimes a day earlier, in boxes/solid packaging. And since I live in NY, we've been getting tax on Amazon for almost 8 years now so no-tax hasn't been a benefit in a long time.

I also got this email.  I dont have prime now, but I did have 1-2 trial periods during the times that I was probably preordering games on Amazon.  I doubt I'll snag the 20% on those, though.

I got my GCU during that time where you could buy a particular phone (mine was $16 flip phone) and get GCU for free.  I think GCU will still be a better deal because the GCU program is so cheap.  I regularly use Amazon, but still dont have a desire to buy Prime for $99.

It does! That's why I think it sort of competes with gcu. It doesn't say so in that fine print op pasted, but when you switch from physical to digital version on the game page, it still applies
Tried with a few 3DS Digital games and it did not change price.

Anyone else?

It seems like people are arguing Prime vs. GCU as if there's any one subscription service to rule them all. The best deals are always a combination of the right price, the right discount, the right retailer, at the right moment. Best Buy has the best safety net with 20% off all games but there are times when Target, Amazon, GameStop, Walmart, or TRU are better. I suppose if you're looking for the super-top-best deal combo it's GCU + Black Friday but we buy games all year long.

Plenty (not all) of people already have Prime. Many of us have GCU as well. If you can only afford one or the other, choose the one that provides the discounts and services that work best for you. I have Hulu Plus and Netflix but I know there are a ton of people who would have no use for Hulu. That's cool. I don't have an iPhone because I'd never use all the minutes and data I'd be paying for. That's also cool. It's a flexible system, man. Go with the flow.

As an elite plus member with a store credit card it seems as though this isn't really a better deal at all. Maybe on Nintendo 3ds games because no tax? Even $60 games without the pre order bonus will be about the same with rewards points vs no tax. I guess there is the possibility of Best Buy/Amazon adding to their program down the road for more of an advantage.

the GCU vs Amz Prime has its pros/cons on each side, one good thing with amazon though is that you can get your total TAX FREE, whereas best buy will charge you the sales tax. 

My existing preorder invoices still reflect the original price.    I emailed amazon to hear how they plan to recalculate for existing preorders the 20% off. 

Hopefully it will be like the preorder price guarantee.

However, it would be easy for me to delete the preorder and make another one!   

hmmmm

This appears to benefit on a more individual level.  There are a bunch of variables to consider like location of buyer, whether or not they pay tax, whether or not local stores are competitive in pricing, distance to local stores, etc.

This does not benefit me at all, even though I am a Prime member (school promo).

EXAMPLE:

Uncharted 4 is $59.00 on Amazon.  With the discount, it brings it down to $47.99 (should be $47.20) - same as GCU.  NOW heres what's most surprising - Amazon is not adding a 20% discount to the $59.00 price as listed, they are adding it to the MSRP $59.99 price.  ALSO, Amazon with tax comes out to $52.31 while GCU comes out to $51.99.

Honestly, when Amazon started charging tax in my state, I pretty much stopped shopping with them.  The price adjustment would not have been an issue but the tax kills it for me.  PLUS, I have plenty of stores surrounding me that have just as good, if not better prices for all things non-gaming.  As I've said, this would not benefit me at all but for anyone who doesn't have to pay tax - CONGRATS! :)  

But no one is buying Prime exclusively for this 20% discount. It's essentially just an added bonus.
I was gonna post to say this. I mean shit, I stream the movies if there's anything I want to see and I also save that money on the two day shipping alone...

Uncharted 4 is $59.00 on Amazon. With the discount, it brings it down to $47.99 (should be $47.20) - same as GCU. NOW heres what's most surprising - Amazon is not adding a 20% discount to the $59.00 price as listed, they are adding it to the MSRP $59.99 price. ALSO, Amazon with tax comes out to $52.31 while GCU comes out to $51.99.
That's weird because they should be charging state tax which should be the same or lower than your local tax. Unless there's somehow some additional fee associated with it which my friend told me Cali does for a bunch of stuff. It's not like you're actually going to find a sale on Uncharted for less than 60 before it comes out so the 59.00 from amazon is the same thing Walmart does with 59.83 instead of 59.99 on stuff. It just looks better plus you can call it the lowest available price so that just sounds like nitpicking.

I get charged 6.5% tax from Amazon since they brought a warehouse here or whatever which is actually less than if I go to some of the stores here because the location is one with 7%.

"I don't get charged sales tax on Amazon purchases" or any store credit card bonuses shouldnt' really be part of the argument.

From a purely consumer gaming perspective, GCU is better as the 20% off applies to all new games and toys-to-life including items on sale.  There is also 10% off on preowned games.  Best Buy also has a loyalty program - separate from any credit card rewards.  GCU doubles the "points" normally earned on gaming purchases.  Amazon is "better" for getting older games cheaper as there are random price drops (not counting 3rd parties), but that is not really Prime related or even game related.

If going by price matches and other policies, Best Buy is still "better" (aside from the 15 day return for non Elite members).  Everyone always lauds Amazon for their customer service.  There is no official policy that says Amazon has to refund you for anything aside from a return.  Best Buy has their "Price Macth Guarantee" although many csr do not understand/follow it properly.  If all csr and employees knew their companies' policies and executed them properly, Best Buy's GCU would be better.

Aside from the Prime streaming, I'm not sure what perks there are with Amazon that sets them aside from other retailers.  Yeah "free" shipping with 2 day shipping on most stuff is "nice".  If Amazon has some more exclusive sales/discounts, I could then see Prime being worth it.  I don't know how much it costs a month or year for a premium tv channel, but I would think if the Prime channel is a big reason for subscribing to Prime, Amazon as a whole comes out on top against Best Buy for the consumer.

It's flip for me. Best Buy have competent packaging while Amazon have been terrible. In the last 4 or so years, I've had terrible luck when it comes to Amazon packaging/shipment. There isn't ever a time where the game arrived in good condition. Because of how Amazon have been handling shipment, I haven't gotten an on time release day delivery since 5 years ago. One of the last straw for me was when they sent me SMT IV in a bubble mailer resulting in the box being torn. I returned it to amazon, and got a copy at best buy in perfect condition.

Honestly, Best Buy is a godsend for me, I've gotten games on Day 1, sometimes a day earlier, in boxes/solid packaging. And since I live in NY, we've been getting tax on Amazon for almost 8 years now so no-tax hasn't been a benefit in a long time.
I receive items terribly packaged from both Best Buy and Amazon. Best Buy is probably a little worse since they use plastic bags occasionally. I was using in-store pick-up for awhile, but that isn't exactly fun, either, and I've received damaged stuff via in-store pickup as well. Plus, now they are engraving their initials and date into items when picking them up.

For me, I'll give Amazon another chance since returns are much easier via Amazon than Best Buy. If I end up not buying all my video games from Best Buy this year, I probably won't make Elite Plus, though, so there's one downside. However, I may not need it if Amazon ends up working out.

The main reason for subscribing to Prime is free 2-day shipping with no minimum.  That's always been the kicker for me.  If I see a computer cord for $2 that I need, I don't need to find $20+ of filler to avoid shipping costs.

In addition to the 2-day/free shipping no minimum, here's some other Amazon Prime perks that I actually use:

* Amazon Prime Music:  They have a ton of songs for no cost streaming.  I have most of my purchased streaming library through Amazon, anyways, so this is a great value add, if I'm looking to purchase a song, and find it's already on Amazon Prime Music.

* Amazon Prime Instant Video:  A Netflix-type service with a lot of overlap with Netflix, but both have their separate groups.  It's not laid out as nice as Netflix, and you have to be careful to make sure you don't buy something accidentally, as the buy/free stuff is mixed often.  Still nice to have.

* Amazon Prime Lender's Library: If you have Prime and a Kindle device, you can check out one book per month from their Kindle Unlimited library for no additional cost.  I've used that to read the Harry Potter books and some other series that happen to be available on Kindle Unlimited.  Not everything is part of Kindle Unlimited, but if they do have it, it's a nice bonus!

* Early Lightning Deals:  Some of their Lightning Deals are 30 minutes early for Prime subscribers, if you happen to want whatever the lightning deal is.

In addition, they offer "No-Rush" shipping in lieu of 2-day shipping, which often comes with a $1 credit for digital purchases (Kindle, Instant Video, Music, Games), so it's like getting another $1 off if you really don't need it in 2 days.

And then, of course, they now offer 20% off preorder/new game purchases.

For some perspective,

Netflix is $8 / month => $96 per year

Prime is $99 per year

Not that Prime Instant Video is a replacement for Netflix, but even if you value it at half Netflix ...  You see where this is going. (~_^)

bread's done
Back