Amazon Prime Members get 20% off Games from Pre-orders and New Releases

Jeff Jr.

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
Didn't see this posted.

Prime Members get 20% off New Releases and Pre-Orders till 2 weeks after releases Date. 

http://www.amazon.com/b/?&node=13584215011

Prime Exclusive Savings 20% off new physical video games during pre-order through two weeks after release Discount will be applied automatically at checkout Offer valid when shipped and sold by Amazon Offer will be automatically extended to all existing Prime member pre-orders.

Last edited by a moderator:
"I don't get charged sales tax on Amazon purchases" or any store credit card bonuses shouldnt' really be part of the argument.

From a purely consumer gaming perspective, GCU is better as the 20% off applies to all new games and toys-to-life including items on sale. There is also 10% off on preowned games. Best Buy also has a loyalty program - separate from any credit card rewards. GCU doubles the "points" normally earned on gaming purchases. Amazon is "better" for getting older games cheaper as there are random price drops (not counting 3rd parties), but that is not really Prime related or even game related.

If going by price matches and other policies, Best Buy is still "better" (aside from the 15 day return for non Elite members). Everyone always lauds Amazon for their customer service. There is no official policy that says Amazon has to refund you for anything aside from a return. Best Buy has their "Price Macth Guarantee" although many csr do not understand/follow it properly. If all csr and employees knew their companies' policies and executed them properly, Best Buy's GCU would be better.

Aside from the Prime streaming, I'm not sure what perks there are with Amazon that sets them aside from other retailers. Yeah "free" shipping with 2 day shipping on most stuff is "nice". If Amazon has some more exclusive sales/discounts, I could then see Prime being worth it. I don't know how much it costs a month or year for a premium tv channel, but I would think if the Prime channel is a big reason for subscribing to Prime, Amazon as a whole comes out on top against Best Buy for the consumer.
The biggest reason why I stopped buying most of my game purchase from Amazon is because they keep sending me damaged games due to their crap packaging. For a few years, I had to keep contacting them, and end up getting a lot of credits/doing returns. At some point, I was fed up and didn't want to risk getting ban.

Best Buy is far more tolerant, and returns/exchange are lot more easier. Also, for me, their packaging have been amazing.

"I don't get charged sales tax on Amazon purchases" or any store credit card bonuses shouldnt' really be part of the argument.

From a purely consumer gaming perspective, GCU is better as the 20% off applies to all new games and toys-to-life including items on sale. There is also 10% off on preowned games. Best Buy also has a loyalty program - separate from any credit card rewards. GCU doubles the "points" normally earned on gaming purchases. Amazon is "better" for getting older games cheaper as there are random price drops (not counting 3rd parties), but that is not really Prime related or even game related.

If going by price matches and other policies, Best Buy is still "better" (aside from the 15 day return for non Elite members). Everyone always lauds Amazon for their customer service. There is no official policy that says Amazon has to refund you for anything aside from a return. Best Buy has their "Price Macth Guarantee" although many csr do not understand/follow it properly. If all csr and employees knew their companies' policies and executed them properly, Best Buy's GCU would be better.

Aside from the Prime streaming, I'm not sure what perks there are with Amazon that sets them aside from other retailers. Yeah "free" shipping with 2 day shipping on most stuff is "nice". If Amazon has some more exclusive sales/discounts, I could then see Prime being worth it. I don't know how much it costs a month or year for a premium tv channel, but I would think if the Prime channel is a big reason for subscribing to Prime, Amazon as a whole comes out on top against Best Buy for the consumer.
There's the lending library, Prime Music, Prime Pantry, the unlimited photo storage and 5GB of cloud storage for whatever else. There's Amazon Mom which is like this gaming discount for baby supplies. Plus the 2-day shipping, which you can opt out of on every order and they'll give you a dollar or two to use on future digital purchases. Plus Amazon Video. Plus early access to Lightning Discounts. Plus you can share your Prime with three other people.

This works great for me. I have Prime and the Amazon rewards credit card so when I cash in my points to get a game it will not only be free but free and cheaper.

A discount I would have to pay $100 to get isn't quite my cup of tea, but yes, it's awesome for those who already have Prime.
You keep missing the point that Amazon Prime also has a streaming video service, streaming music service, two-day shipping, and two-hour shipping included in that $50/$100 membership. Comparing it to GCU is like comparing the city of Chicago to an avocado.

For some perspective,

Netflix is $8 / month => $96 per year

Prime is $99 per year

Not that Prime Instant Video is a replacement for Netflix, but even if you value it at half Netflix ... You see where this is going. (~_^)
Netflix is actually more expensive if you have the 4K streaming option which is $12 a month. Prime is definitely worth the price, but I usually order pretty sparingly from Amazon aside from the Holidays and already have Hulu and Netflix, never have been too impressed with Amazon's streaming service when I tried it in the past, but I can't argue the value Prime has as a complete package.

The biggest reason why I stopped buying most of my game purchase from Amazon is because they keep sending me damaged games due to their crap packaging. For a few years, I had to keep contacting them, and end up getting a lot of credits/doing returns. At some point, I was fed up and didn't want to risk getting ban.

Best Buy is far more tolerant, and returns/exchange are lot more easier. Also, for me, their packaging have been amazing.
Exact same for me. I only buy hardcased standard edition games from Amazon now and only if they are cheaper than Best Buy after GCU. Even still, I occasionally get broken cases, torn wrap and other significant damage that create a hassle. I guess when you're a massive global retailer, you don't care that a percentage of your product goes out damaged on a regular basis.

The no minimum thing is incorrect. Amazon is adding more and more things to their "add on" program. Even with prime, you have to spend 25 bucks before they will even ship it. So yes, there is a minimum.

And customer service experience varies by person. Amazons actual policies are not very consumer friendly. I've had way more bad experiences with Amazon's customer service than BB. BB comes way out on top for me when it comes to games and electronics.

Many of Prime "free" videos are all censored...

Until Prime start have great Marvel shows like Netflix... oh well

But whats better then Prime or Netflix ... Torrentz

You can stop with all the  "well BB gives you 20% off all new games". Yeah well games are often cheaper at amazon year round plus when you're price matching them in-store the GCU discount doesn't stack with an amazon price match.  Older new games cost more at Best Buy.

One service is not better than the other.   Apples and oranges.  Get over it.   Feel free to stop with all the dear diary entries of "This is why I think xxxx is better!" It's entirely subjective.  Prime and GCU are both excellent services for certain people.

The no minimum thing is incorrect. Amazon is adding more and more things to their "add on" program. Even with prime, you have to spend 25 bucks before they will even ship it. So yes, there is a minimum.

And customer service experience varies by person. Amazons actual policies are not very consumer friendly. I've had way more bad experiences with Amazon's customer service than BB. BB comes way out on top for me when it comes to games and electronics.
They have had small low cost items that just would end up costing more than the item itself. Like a 98 cent 000 phillips screwdriver. Or a 120mm magnetic mesh fan grill. I have noticed no assortment of added items to that system that are outrageous. It doesn't make sense to ship out items that money is lost on let alone shipping it free... seems pretty irrelevant in regards to games though anyway.

You keep missing the point that Amazon Prime also has a streaming video service, streaming music service, two-day shipping, and two-hour shipping included in that $50/$100 membership. Comparing it to GCU is like comparing the city of Chicago to an avocado.
Clearly you've never been to Chicago lol

Anyway, why there are 2 threads and 200 posts (in this one) of mostly people arguing between GCU and this is beyond words of reasoning. Perceived value is different for everyone, so can we just let it be and focus on the deals that arise from this?

In related news, I heard some people got their existing preorders updated with new pricing already so that's nice.

Any know if there are there any CE preorders that are Amazon exclusive and still available worth picking up now with the 20% off?

GCU is still better than amazon for game discounts.

You can use GCU with any new game. Doesn't have to be a new release or preorder. Also GCU stacks with black friday and buy 2 get one free which amazon doesn't do. Plus you get reward certificates for preordering which stacks with GCU something that amazon doesn't do.

Oh poor amazon, not a bad attempt but that two week limit on new releases is lame. Gcu owns this, especially since its easy to rack up reward zone coupons with gcu when the double points kick in
Eh, they're playing a different game. I already have Prime because we get a good portion of our groceries and sundries through Prime and Subscribe & Save. So this keeps me from getting GCU, because the prime membership fees are a sunk cost for me. I get reward points for amazon purchases too, though my wife keeps track of that so I don't know how competitive it is.

BB usually gets me release day shipping with now and then a niche game or something getting to me about 1-3 days after release...usually the Friday after release. It depends on the game.

If you have both GCU and Prime, doesn't GCU barely edge out Prime due to the rewards?

I'd probably just keep using GCU myself knowing I'll be able to get 5 bucks off here and there.

But it's great to know that the Prime discount works on digital, really rounds out your options if you have both.

If you have both GCU and Prime, doesn't GCU barely edge out Prime due to the rewards?

I'd probably just keep using GCU myself knowing I'll be able to get 5 bucks off here and there.

But it's great to know that the Prime discount works on digital, really rounds out your options if you have both.
Depends, for me I will be saving with prime since I don't get charged tax as where with Best buy I do.

No, it doesn't. Neither works on digital. That's why you wait for sales on pre-paid digital cards and make your own discount on digital.

Also, no tax makes Amazon ~25% off for new. GCU is so cheap, though, why not get both? Amazon for new stuff. Best Buy for older stuff or stuff you wanted to wait for a sale on. Win-Win!

stupid question that might've been answered before but I need clarification before I place this order....

I understand Amazon Student is sort of a Prime-lite.. I get all the prime exclusive games and shipping times, but do I get the 20% discount?

If so, does it show up on the screen right before I place the order, because its definitely not showing up for me right now.

Thanks and godspeed.

stupid question that might've been answered before but I need clarification before I place this order....

I understand Amazon Student is sort of a Prime-lite.. I get all the prime exclusive games and shipping times, but do I get the 20% discount?

If so, does it show up on the screen right before I place the order, because its definitely not showing up for me right now.

Thanks and godspeed.
As far as I understood it...I just signed up for the free six month trial of Student Prime a few months ago. It's a tiered program where while you are on trial you don't have full access to all Prime benefits. For instance, when I tried to go watch a particular Prime video it said it was for paid subscribers, and that I would be charged. And I was. It charged me and upgraded me to full Prime status.

I don't know if this is true or not for the game discount. But perhaps you are not getting the discount when you are still on a free trial?

So how consistent has this been?   I have a preorder for Zero Escape 3 on the Vita and it has not been adjusted in any way.  Same for my long, long ago order of The Last Guardian.

So how consistent has this been? I have a preorder for Zero Escape 3 on the Vita and it has not been adjusted in any way. Same for my long, long ago order of The Last Guardian.
The email says that it'll update in the next 5 business days.

The email says that it'll update in the next 5 business days.
Yeah, I read that as I was in the middle of a chat with CS. I saw a CAG earlier post how they contacted customer service to get it to apply. It is just odd that it auto applied already to one order (a Lego Dimensions pack I ordered more recently) but not 2 other (much older) orders. I'll give it the 5 days but I fully expect it not to work as Amazon usually screws up stuff like this.

On top of that, the CS rep I chatted with said they have no way of applying the discount until after it has shipped. Well, with my 2 preorders I'll have long forgotten about this promo by the time they ship so I'd rather see it on there now. I'll give it the 5 days...

Oh yeah, and the rep didn't tell me to wait 5 days - he said it wouldn't apply till the order shipped. I know that is BS.

They might be applying them to newer orders first and going backwards. Depends on how they're applying it but it makes sense and it's not some wackadoodle order or anything.

I just did another preorder on the division because I'm not taking any chances. Forget that.

Yeah, I read that as I was in the middle of a chat with CS. I saw a CAG earlier post how they contacted customer service to get it to apply. It is just odd that it auto applied already to one order (a Lego Dimensions pack I ordered more recently) but not 2 other (much older) orders. I'll give it the 5 days but I fully expect it not to work as Amazon usually screws up stuff like this.

On top of that, the CS rep I chatted with said they have no way of applying the discount until after it has shipped. Well, with my 2 preorders I'll have long forgotten about this promo by the time they ship so I'd rather see it on there now. I'll give it the 5 days...

Oh yeah, and the rep didn't tell me to wait 5 days - he said it wouldn't apply till the order shipped. I know that is BS.
At least your CS is better than mine... Mine kept saying that it will not apply even though it clearly says it does in their page...

GCU wins because it works on all games regardless of age (not just preorders and within two weeks of release) and stacks with sale prices. Also rewards.

Its nice to have a backup for CE's that sellout at BBY now though.

giphy.gif

bread's done
Back