Amazon Prime now $59 for 1 year, until 12/30/08.

hmm. i just started my free trial of amazon prime on dec.3. the auto-renew date is for jan.3. any idea if i'd qualify?

[quote name='dizz.lee']hmm. i just started my free trial of amazon prime on dec.3. the auto-renew date is for jan.3. any idea if i'd qualify?[/QUOTE]

I'm wondering the same thing. My trial of Prime ends the 25th, and if I could get it for a year at that price, I'd jump all over it.

EDIT:
Just found this on the page linked above:

Try Amazon Prime free for one month (new members only) and enjoy all the benefits that come with membership.

Seems people who are already going for the trial now aren't in luck.

Yes, the only real benefit is the shipping. And there's no max on what you need to buy in order to get that free 2-day shipping.

It looks like you get it for $59 the first year, and $80 years following that, but you could always cancel before you need to renew.

[quote name='Young Deezy']What exactly do you get with prime?[/quote]

What is Amazon Prime?

Amazon Prime is a membership program that gives you and your family "all-you-can-eat" fast shipping for eligible purchases. For an annual membership fee of $79, you will enjoy:

Fast Delivery

* Free Two-Day Shipping on more than one million in-stock items sold by Amazon.com.
* Upgrades to One-Day (Overnight) Shipping for just $3.99 per item.
* Two-Day and One-Day shipping usually apply across business days. Prime also offers special weekend and other shipping options for qualifying merchandise
* Free Standard Shipping for eligible items shipped to P.O. boxes in the continental United States (excluding Alaska, Hawaii, and U.S. territories, possessions and protectorates) and APO/FPO addresses with U.S. zip codes.

Simple Shopping

* No minimum purchases required.
* Members-only 1-Click buttons on product pages.
* No need to think about shipping charges when you order.

Convenient Sharing

* Shared benefits with up to four family members living in the same household.

[quote name='cheapskate01']Sign up for a 1year subscription to amazon prime for $20 off. For more info click here

http://www.amazon.com/gp/prime/signup/ellen.html[/quote]

just saw this..

Tempted but with the hoilday season over i sure 90% of people will not order anything off them until next oct

Always said i would give 50 for 6 months.....

if i dont have to pay for my ticket tomorrow ( no seatbelt) I might bite on it.

got till DEC 30 i think

Last edited by a moderator:
Totally not worth it. Patience is a virtue, a few extra days waiting for stuff to arrive isn't going to kill you.

True, personally I wouldn't mind waiting a few extra days, but when you actually avail of this membership it's so nice and convenient. I got in on a deal for a free 3 month membership and I loved it. Still, I agree with you, I probably could wait it out with standard shipping.

[quote name='Aleman']Totally not worth it. Patience is a virtue, a few extra days waiting for stuff to arrive isn't going to kill you.[/quote]
I understand where your coming from but, I disagree. Prime orders tend to get processed right away (berfore FSSS orders). So the differenc of getting what I order 2 days, compared to usually 7-8 is worth it to me. Especially if you split it with some CAGs....$12 a person!!!!!!!!!

....And to don't ever have to find fillers. This saved me alot during the Black Friday weekend when alot of items were $10 and less.

[quote name='Aleman']Totally not worth it. Patience is a virtue, a few extra days waiting for stuff to arrive isn't going to kill you.[/QUOTE]

not really.... Like right now i see a DVD i would not mind having 10th kingdom for 5.99

i would have to pay shipping or buy almost 19 bucks more just to get free shipping

yea black friday was a killer... Had to buy 2 or even 3x the items just to get free shipping now stuck with extra items

I wonder if you can still split the cost between 5 people... By the way, to me at least, Amazon Prime is most definitely worth the price (I split the cost and paid around $16-17ish). You can't beat getting a game (to play, to flip, etc) in 1-2 days and never having to worry about adding items for free shipping. The only problem I've had with Prime is the massive amounts of games/items I've bought because of the ridiculous prices I've found.

Damn, $59 between 5 people is around $12 each. I'd so try and find a group to split the cost if I didn't already have my current sub.

I've saved literally probably hundreds and hundreds of dollars on shipping because of how much I use Prime. It's well worth it if you're constantly buying from Amazon. I wish this applied to current subscribers :whistle2:(

[quote name='antlp89']I wonder if you can still split the cost between 5 people... By the way, to me at least, Amazon Prime is most definitely worth the price (I split the cost and paid around $16-17ish). You can't beat getting a game (to play, to flip, etc) in 1-2 days and never having to worry about adding items for free shipping. The only problem I've had with Prime is the massive amounts of games/items I've bought because of the ridiculous prices I've found.

Damn, $59 between 5 people is around $12 each. I'd so try and find a group to split the cost if I didn't already have my current sub.[/quote]

This used to work, but didn't they put a stop to it? I didn't think you could have multiple "family member" addresses anymore.

Yeah that's the thing that gets me when people say patience - patience is not a virtue when you have to add 10-15 to a CD or game to get free super saver shipping. Amazon does not charge tax for me - so when I consider the tax I will save, plus gas if I just make my purchases on sale from amazon rather than going to the store - the prime shipping pays itself and I don't worry about adding filler on orders.

I was on the prime trial for 3 months. And I have to say...I miss it dearly. My brother and I are probably going to split this. If we get a few friends on this, maybe split it even more. (Unless they got rid of that option of adding family). Oh well. Will decide before the end of the year. :)

Prime is definitely worth it. It was economical for me, because I wanted a 26" monitor shipped 2-day or overnight a month or so ago (don't really like having something like that getting beaten up with budget shipping), and the cost for overnight shipping alone was about as much as a Prime membership (2nd Day was around $45-$50), so I just went with Prime and the $3.99 overnight upgrade.

It's definitely paid off in other ways since then... everything gets processed the same day. A few items I've ordered on a weekend have shown up on Monday. No $25 min. for super saver shipping. 2-Day one-click is convenient as hell. The only drawback at all is that if you're shopping for something like clothing, a lot of the time those items are sold through other vendors and free shipping doesn't apply.

I don't see a point in NOT getting Prime if you use Amazon from sometimes to almoste every day/ week. Paid $80 back in February & haven't looked back, paid for itself in just a couple of months IMO.

& now that its only $60, it only sweetens the deal.

As if Amazon hasn't taken enough from my wallet this month, now they're giving me deals on SHIPPING costs??

;)

I'm torn-- I've come very, very close to signing up to Prime a few times... the "no filler needed" would probably save close to as much as the year on its own.. but ugh, I need a credit card to cycle before I can do this. I hope it really stays a valid price through the end of the month like it says.

The $25 removal of the limit on super saver shipping is very temping. I've forgone so many small amazon orders just because I didn't want to pay shipping. This way, I can still make those small purchases and not have to worry about spending more than $25 just to get free shipping.

It's a double-edged sword.
I get everything super fast, I don't have to order fillers...but damn, I end up buying a lot.
Definitely more then I did before I had it.
Still, it's completely worth it.

[quote name='mtxbass1']The $25 removal of the limit on super saver shipping is very temping. I've forgone so many small amazon orders just because I didn't want to pay shipping. This way, I can still make those small purchases and not have to worry about spending more than $25 just to get free shipping.[/QUOTE]

This is exactly why I'm considering getting this. I order lots of items for $10-15 and then end up adding more until it's at $25 (usually more).

But with all my Christmas shopping done, I don't know if I can make this worth it. It would be nice to have 2 day shipping for new releases... and it seems like I'm buying more and more from Amazon these days.

I think I'll hold out as long as possible since I have until the 30th to decide.

BTW, wasn't there a way to share 1 Prime account? That would make it much cheaper...:whistle2:k

I'm really tempted to get this, I had a 3-month trial to Prime that expired last month and I enjoyed getting orders under $25 without having to buy fillers just to get FSSS. I plan on catching up on reading next year so it'll save me from having to buy $25 worth of books each time, I can order each one as I go.

I usually don't notice Prime since I already get FSSS from buying more expensive items, but $59/year sounds good enough for me.

Eh, if I have a good day at work tomorrow I'll sign up.

[quote name='Aleman']Totally not worth it. Patience is a virtue, a few extra days waiting for stuff to arrive isn't going to kill you.[/QUOTE]
of course its not going to kill you....BUT, if you're shopping for a gift, and the lowest price is offered by amazon, you're probably going to want it as soon as possible. you don't want to take a risk this holliday season waiting 7-9 days or whatever.

can I renew my prime membership now using this deal?

i dun see any option there cuz i am already an amazon prime

thank you guyz!

I have the same questions as Jonsoncao, can I renew my prime membership at this rate, I think it's normally $75.

BTW, for all of you considering Amazon prime let me say IT IS AWESOME AND ABSOLUTELY WORTH THE MONEY! Not only are you able to get things (including pre-ordered games) delivered 2-day UPS for free but it's only $3.99 to upgrade to overnight shipping. Also, if you haven't noticed Amazon increasingly has some of the best gaming deals anywhere, B&M or online.

Prime has made my shopping for relatives birthdays and holidays SO MUCH EASIER! I am able to buy stuff for them off of Amazon and get it to them in 2 days for free. I have been a member for almost 3 years now and every year I feel like the service has saved me much more money than the fee for the service costs.

[quote name='Jonsoncao']can I renew my prime membership now using this deal?

i dun see any option there cuz i am already an amazon prime

thank you guyz![/quote]\

Pretty sure it has to expire within this window to get the $59 rate. Mine expires in May :(

This is a great deal especially all the stuff I ordered from them this past year. I sure miss getting my items fast compared the few weeks it drags to receive the items with free shipping and its cool ordering an item for less then $25 and not searching to reach that amount. I will think about getting since I still have a few more people in my list to get gifts.

bread's done
Back