Amazon Prime Student accts - Buy a $699 PC & get a 4gig X-box Free

Jinque

CAGiversary!
Feedback
4 (100%)
Microsoft's Buy a $699+ PC get an Xbox Deal is live at Amazon, but you need a student account of Amazon Prime, which is a free year of Prime for having a .edu address. There are 12 laptops/desktops listed atm, but the promotion runs till September so maybe more will be added or prices could go down by then...

Amazon Link

Long list of details for the promotion is given, but some key points are:

▪ Promotion is limited to Amazon Student members only.
▪ Promotion valid on purchases made between May 25, 2011 and September 3, 2011, or until terminated by Amazon.com.
▪ Approximately 8 business days after Windows 7 PC ship date, customers will receive an email stating they have met the requirements of Amazon Student membership and purchased a qualified Windows 7 PC, and that a credit toward a free Xbox 360 4GB console has been added to their account.
▪ Free Xbox 360 4GB can only be redeemed after receiving the validation email from Amazon.com; promotional credit will not be applied to customers purchasing a Windows 7 PC and an Xbox 360 4GB in the same transaction.
▪ Xbox 360 4GB console credit must be redeemed no later than October 31, 2011.
▪ Promotional credit can only be applied toward a free Xbox 360 4GB console and cannot be combined with any other offers or applied toward the purchase of a different version of the Xbox 360 console or an Xbox 360 bundle.
▪ For information on how to become an Amazon Student member vist visit www.amazon.com/student.

HP.com = Requires you to call in; limited models listed in fine print
Dell.com = Requires a .edu validation before they let you look at the eligible PCs.. has the XPS 15/15z/8300, Inspiron 14R/15R/620, Alienware M14x, and the all in one. All in one is at full price.. 15R is same price as Amazon but smaller HDD.
MS Store = lots of choices.. but does not seem to be good prices
Bestbuy = online list and you can also walk into a store w/a student ID. 34 different ones.

Not sure yet which PC(s) would be best..

Last edited by a moderator:
It's not just prime right now. If you go basically anywhere and buy a $699 pc you get an Xbox for free. Best Buy, Windows Store, Windows Online, Amazon, etc.

[quote name='ExplodingRat']It's not just prime right now. If you go basically anywhere and buy a $699 pc you get an Xbox for free. Best Buy, Windows Store, Windows Online, Amazon, etc.[/QUOTE]

Yes, but many prefer Amazon due to it's lack of sales tax in some states. I think this was worth posting.

Question is are any of these decent PCs for the price listed? Generally prebuilts at major sites tend to be complete shit and if you go someplace else you can get the same thing for $200 less. I am in the market for a new computer and id love to get a 360...but I am not about to buy a crap PC just to get the 360.

Edit - I am most def not a PC expert, but from my limited knowledge it does look to probably be the case that these are bunk.

[quote name='MSI Magus']Question is are any of these decent PCs for the price listed? Generally prebuilts at major sites tend to be complete shit and if you go someplace else you can get the same thing for $200 less. I am in the market for a new computer and id love to get a 360...but I am not about to buy a crap PC just to get the 360.

Edit - I am most def not a PC expert, but from my limited knowledge it does look to probably be the case that these are bunk.[/QUOTE]

I have the Toshiba for $699 and it's great! I'm a student and it's PERFECT for me.

I would not get a prebuilt desktop, if you can build your own or get one built, especially if it's for gaming. Prebuilt laptops are kinda the only way to go..I think there are kits for those but don't know much about it.

[quote name='Sgt Barone']I have the Toshiba for $699 and it's great! I'm a student and it's PERFECT for me.[/QUOTE]

Yes but could you have got it elsewhere far cheaper. I was not saying these PCs are bunk in the sense that they are useless computers, just that for most gamers they are better off going elsewhere and getting more PC for the same price or the same PC for less.

Been looking around and nothing amazing really. The Asus U30SD is ok. 13.3" @ 4.5lbs. Dedicated GT 520m graphics. 8 cell battery. But considering that 4gig xbox comes with a $50 gc almost everywhere.. the deal isn't super. This one at $650 plus $150 xbox is decent. If you're out of school till August/Sept could prob shop for a better deal than.

bread's done
Back