Amazon starts taking Kinect preorders

Status
Not open for further replies.
Am I the only one who has ZERO interest in any of these things? If you want to move and get excercise, why not, you know...go outside and play real sports or do real activities? I play video games to relax and be comfortable, not get a work out. They have gyms for that.

[quote name='TheShepherdSauce']At least with Sony's move, I can picture being able to play an RE4 type game in HD. In fact, I would love to play RE4 again without graphics that make my eyes bleed.[/QUOTE]

Wow, one of the best looking games of the last generation made your eyes bleed? You must be very new to video games.

And on topic, I'm still curious as to how you accelerate and brake in those games that are supposed to "revolutionize" the racing genre.

[quote name='wrencrest']Am I the only one who has ZERO interest in any of these things? If you want to move and get excercise, why not, you know...go outside and play real sports or do real activities? I play video games to relax and be comfortable, not get a work out. They have gyms for that.[/QUOTE]

a lot of people are not getting this. those that are buying it are a vocal minority. they are defending these unreleased products because they have no confidence of the products success. the controller required games are just wii hd games and the other games that can use them could be played with the original controllers. if people wait to buy this, they will see in a year that there is no need to purchase them.

[quote name='typical guy']If these becomes a proven successes (Kinect and Move) then I'll think about picking them up and they'll likely come packed in with some of the best games. Meanwhile you are going to take a huge risk that it will be a failure and the only games for it are super casual cutsie kids games that you can play for 5 bucks on the fucking DS.[/QUOTE]

I get what you're saying, but if everyone took your wait and see approach then these products will be DOA.

[quote name='blitz6speed']People saying you need 4 controllers to replicate the experience on any other system, show me a Kinect game that supports 4 players. Thats right, there aren't any. In fact, the #1 game for kintect, Dance Station or whatever, is a single player game.

No game for Kinect has been shown for more then 2 people, and i doubt ever will be shown. The technology looks like it caps at 2 people. So please keep that in mind with your stupid math everyone likes to do.

p.s. - buying move + kinect day 1.[/QUOTE]

I'm pretty sure that they've said that Kinect can recognize up to four people at once.

Dance Central was shown supporting at least 3 people on stage at E3. You had the main guy dancing and then the other 2 people got up and it recognized them as his "background" dancers.

I agree with the guy that says if the girlfriend/wife/significant other wants, its worth gold. Maybe if the kids really want it, though I may just say go play more Wii.

I also agree with Playing Mantis on the pre-order, they are gauging the market, so each pre-order at $150 is a vote for that price. I'd also like to see what the pricing will be on the new console/kinect bundle since I wouldn't mind one of those (and they are sure to come out before the holidays).

4 players is possible, but I heard that it measures 48 points no matter what. So one player will have the finest level of control, but 4 players will only do 12 for each. Not sure exactly how this translates, but it probably means only the most basic games will be OK for 4.

Not interested in the Sports and Deca Sports games (Deca was BAD for the Wii, can't imagine how Kinect will transform it better). Dance Central looks interesting, Forza Kinect and Star Wars Kinect are both interesting.

$59.99/game is the worse problem (if that price holds)...especially for something like Joy Ride which was planned as a free arcade game? No thanks, at $60 I'll stick with Mario Kart Wii, Blur and Modnation Racers.

[quote name='blitz6speed']show me a Kinect game that supports 4 players[/QUOTE]
Kinect Sports
Kinect Adventures
Sonic Free Riders

Dance Central supports three players.

[quote name='Skoad']Kinect Sports
Kinect Adventures
Sonic Free Riders

Dance Central supports three players.[/QUOTE]

At once? I doubt it, how do you fit > 2 people in front of the camera?

[quote name='wrencrest']Am I the only one who has ZERO interest in any of these things? If you want to move and get excercise, why not, you know...go outside and play real sports or do real activities? I play video games to relax and be comfortable, not get a work out. They have gyms for that.[/QUOTE]

There are people who do work out AND wouldn't mind playing more active video games sometimes too.

The point most of you are missing--which I'm assuming means you probably don't live with a wife/girlfriend and/or don't have kids--is that something like this would be a lot of fun for multiplayer gaming with people who would never pick up an Xbox 360 controller to play a game. Same idea with Wii and Move, although Kinect takes it a step further IMO.

Like I said before, I'm buying this so I can sometimes play Kinect Sports/etc. with my girlfriend instead of having to watch her girly TV shows all the time. And it's not like Microsoft is going to stop putting out traditional games. Think of Kinect as a supplement, although there are some cool things like head tracking and voice commands that could really enhance traditional games.

[quote name='Vegan']Scalpers are the scum of the earth.[/QUOTE]

Close, but actually console fanboys are the scum of the earth. Scalpers are just pieces of shit.

[quote name='Aleman']There are people who do work out AND wouldn't mind playing more active video games sometimes too.

The point most of you are missing--which I'm assuming means you probably don't live with a wife/girlfriend and/or don't have kids--is that something like this would be a lot of fun for multiplayer gaming with people who would never pick up an Xbox 360 controller to play a game. Same idea with Wii and Move, although Kinect takes it a step further IMO.

Like I said before, I'm buying this so I can sometimes play Kinect Sports/etc. with my girlfriend instead of having to watch her girly TV shows all the time. And it's not like Microsoft is going to stop putting out traditional games. Think of Kinect as a supplement, although there are some cool things like head tracking and voice commands that could really enhance traditional games.[/QUOTE]

That is basically what happened to me. My girlfriend whom is extremely uninterested in video games. Her complaint is, 3D is too confusing and there are too many buttons. The type of games we play together is Zack and Wiki, but she isn't really that interrested. Anyhow, I showed her Kinetics and Dance Central. She immediately said she wanted to play that. She was very excited for it and said it looked fun. In a similar fashion you look at these "leaked" videos of people trying Kinect out and I'm talking about what looks like amateur videos with shaky cam showing people smiling and have a lot of fun. Those that don't seem to be the hardcore gamers.

I think MS got a hit on their hands and they know it regardless of the hardcore gamers want it or not. People thought the Wii was a fad, but even now, almost four years later after release, the Wii for the most part outsells the other two competitors combined!

The fact that amazon.com has Kinect listed at number two spot in sales at a whopping $150 is a testament to this and these are probably current owners of Xbox 360 i.e. hardcore gamers. Casuals will be buying the bundle coming out later.

[quote name='leesiulung']That is basically what happened to me. My girlfriend whom is extremely uninterested in video games. Her complaint is, 3D is too confusing and there are too many buttons. The type of games we play together is Zack and Wiki, but she isn't really that interrested. Anyhow, I showed her Kinetics and Dance Central. She immediately said she wanted to play that. She was very excited for it and said it looked fun. In a similar fashion you look at these "leaked" videos of people trying Kinect out and I'm talking about what looks like amateur videos with shaky cam showing people smiling and have a lot of fun. Those that don't seem to be the hardcore gamers.

I think MS got a hit on their hands and they know it regardless of the hardcore gamers want it or not. People thought the Wii was a fad, but even now, almost four years later after release, the Wii for the most part outsells the other two competitors combined!

The fact that amazon.com has Kinect listed at number two spot in sales at a whopping $150 is a testament to this and these are probably current owners of Xbox 360 i.e. hardcore gamers. Casuals will be buying the bundle coming out later.[/QUOTE]

But how many Xbox 360 owners have been holding out for the chance to spend $150 plus $60 per game (i.e. $210 which is $10 more than a new Wii package which includes an entire console with Motion Plus and pack-in game) on the off-chance that their girlfriend might someday want to play a game on it? The problem from my perspective is that Nintendo already has the kids and families covered, Sony is gonna pick up the more hardcore/adult gamer crowd and that leaves Microsoft with a mediocre technology that lacks compelling games. Unless they make incredible strides in the next few months in getting Kinect to recognize more subtle movements, it really is going to be another Eye Toy.

I can't tell you how much the booth staff struggled at E3 trying to make the Kinect pick up all but the most exaggerated motions. Look, I can tell you that both Wii and Rock Band/Guitar Hero are testaments to the power of non-traditional gamers as consumers. Having said that, Kinect doesn't have the same cross-over appeal as those technologies. It really is a product without a market niche right now and only time will tell if they can figure out some killer apps to make it appeal to gamers and other consumers. Frankly, I know a lot of moms and girlfriends and kids who don't mind holding a Wii remote and the fact that Kinect is controller free just isn't that much of a selling point when you consider all the accuracy and control you are giving up to get it.

Pre-ordered this with Dance Central just in case through Amazon. Will most likely cancel since Amazon is easy. I'd rather have an order in now and cancel, then regret it later. lol

[quote name='bojay1997']

1. But how many Xbox 360 owners have been holding out for the chance to spend $150 plus $60 per game (i.e. $210 which is $10 more than a new Wii package which includes an entire console with Motion Plus and pack-in game)

2. The problem from my perspective is that Nintendo already has the kids and families covered, Sony is gonna pick up the more hardcore/adult gamer crowd and that leaves Microsoft with a mediocre technology that lacks compelling games. Unless they make incredible strides in the next few months in getting Kinect to recognize more subtle movements, it really is going to be another Eye Toy.

3. I can't tell you how much the booth staff struggled at E3 trying to make the Kinect pick up all but the most exaggerated motions.

4. Having said that, Kinect doesn't have the same cross-over appeal as those technologies. It really is a product without a market niche right now and only time will tell if they can figure out some killer apps to make it appeal to gamers and other consumers.

5. Frankly, I know a lot of moms and girlfriends and kids who don't mind holding a Wii remote and the fact that Kinect is controller free just isn't that much of a selling point when you consider all the accuracy and control you are giving up to get it.[/QUOTE]

1. Sony sold a videogame console for $600 with no good games (Resistance?).

2. Nintendo has the family covered, yeah, wait till "Bobby tells Ricky that his badass Kinect can play without a controller and can talk to animals, then Ricky will ask mommy to buy a him a Kinect because he has to be cool like Bobby. Mommy is a full time working mom that buys whatever his son wants. Then Arthur gets jealous that Bobby and Ricky have a Kinect so now... repeat cycle"...

3. You were at the E3?

4. Are you a business analyst? Do you have a degree at least?

5. Know any MILFs? :lol:

[quote name='oasisboy']1. Sony sold a videogame console for $600 with no good games (Resistance?).

2. Nintendo has the family covered, yeah, wait till "Bobby tells Ricky that his badass Kinect can play without a controller and can talk to animals, then Ricky will ask mommy to buy a him a Kinect because he has to be cool like Bobby. Mommy is a full time working mom that buys whatever his son wants. Then Arthur gets jealous that Bobby and Ricky have a Kinect so now... repeat cycle"...

3. You were at the E3?

4. Are you a business analyst? Do you have a degree at least?

5. Know any MILFs? :lol:[/QUOTE]

1. The PS3 was also a Blu Ray player and there were actually some decent games in the first year.

2. Same exact scenario could happen with Move and any other system/peripheral/game. If you had actually played the demo of Kinectimals they showed at E3, you would not think that scenario is likely.

3. Yes, at least four hours each day.

4. No. Yes.

5. No.

Kinect/Natal was the one motion control peripheral I was actually looking forward to owning. Sadly, my experience actually using it was very, very disappointing.

[quote name='bojay1997']1. The PS3 was also a Blu Ray player and there were actually some decent games in the first year.

2. Same exact scenario could happen with Move and any other system/peripheral/game. If you had actually played the demo of Kinectimals they showed at E3, you would not think that scenario is likely.

3. Yes, at least four hours each day.

Kinect/Natal was the one motion control peripheral I was actually looking forward to owning. Sadly, my experience actually using it was very, very disappointing.[/QUOTE]

1. Decent games? Which ones? Resistance was the highest rated game during launch. Blu-Ray player was included. My point was that price can be a concern but your argument about value does not hold up based on the past.

2. I showed my wife this video and the first thing she said was, our daughter (she is 6) will love this, we need to preorder:
http://xbox360.ign.com/dor/objects/77452/kinectimals/videos/e310_kinectimals_demo_061410.html

This video does not seem to portray that scenario were reading movements was hard to do.

http://xbox360.ign.com/dor/objects/77452/kinectimals/videos/e310_kinectimals_061510.html

3. What were you doing at E3? Fan access?

[quote name='TheShepherdSauce']Heh, Kinect's lack of a physical controller tells me that a lot of games are gonna be of an 'on-rail' type. At least with Sony's move, I can picture being able to play an RE4 type game in HD. In fact, I would love to play RE4 again without graphics that make my eyes bleed.

Edit: ALSO, can't wait for the youtube videos of people kicking their TVs while playing kinect.[/QUOTE]

Well I believe it was announced RE5 will have a Move patch, so you shouldn't have to wait long for an RE-type game.

Wow...CAG used to be a bastion of scalper/hoarder/"That's Capitalism, so suck it!" apologists, so to see back-to-back anti-scalper posts is...I'm--I'm getting verklempt--Pac-Man is neither a pack nor a man--discuss!

[quote name='oasisboy']1. Decent games? Which ones? Resistance was the highest rated game during launch. Blu-Ray player was included. My point was that price can be a concern but your argument about value does not hold up based on the past.

2. I showed my wife this video and the first thing she said was, our daughter (she is 6) will love this, we need to preorder:
http://xbox360.ign.com/dor/objects/77452/kinectimals/videos/e310_kinectimals_demo_061410.html

This video does not seem to portray that scenario were reading movements was hard to do.

http://xbox360.ign.com/dor/objects/77452/kinectimals/videos/e310_kinectimals_061510.html

3. What were you doing at E3? Fan access?[/QUOTE]

1. We're in the midst of the worst financial crisis in many, many years. Price is a huge consideration for consumers now when it was far less so when PS3 was released. Even then, the PS3 didn't sell out.

2. Why not just get your daughter a real pet? What that video doesn't show is that there was significant delay and inaccurate detection of what the player was doing. Moreover, the animals have a "mind of their own", so it was really hard to tell if they were responding to the player's specific actions or if there were just general behavior algorhythms programmed in. I personally think it was the latter given the five or six minutes I spent with the game.

3. Uh, no.

[quote name='typical guy']Okay you're right, I can't say "Zero" chance but lets face it, this is just more motion control. Did you actually look at the games they're showing? They're the same fucking games as on the Wii.
Wii Sports, Kinect Sports, Sports Champions

Kinectimals? Hello? Can you say Petz games?

This is the same shit on the DS and Wii. I highly doubt many people are going to buy a new console just for this stuff. Even a lot of people with the consoles like me (and others in this forum) aren't going to spend that kind of money to play a fucking petz game in HD. If these becomes a proven successes (Kinect and Move) then I'll think about picking them up and they'll likely come packed in with some of the best games. Meanwhile you are going to take a huge risk that it will be a failure and the only games for it are super casual cutsie kids games that you can play for 5 bucks on the fucking DS.

I really have to wonder if you guys are thinking this through or if you're letting hype from E3 excite you for this product(s). As Alan Greenspan once said about another subject, it seems like irrational exuberance to me...[/QUOTE]

I'm with you. All this motion crap seems like a giant gimmick...Hell, Microsoft's presentation was all pre-recorded and didn't showcase the actual product.

Regardless, hasn't the Wii showed us that this stuff is "not" fun? I bought a Wii as my first console this generation; ditched it like the plague when I realized I only wanted two games for the console. Every other game released pushed me to believe the Wii to be an incredibly overpriced child's toy...And it is.

Unless the Move and Kinect bring some true innovations to the table with the motion gimmick (good storytelling in games with added realism), then this will all fail for gamers like myself.

To summarize, I like the Wii, it's a nice system. But it's not next gen, it shouldn't even be compared to the PS3 and 360. The games offered are for completely separate demographics. Hopefully M$oft and $ony realize this and don't waste this opportunity with shovel-ware, trash-titles that mimic the enjoyment of any game you could find in a local arcade.

[quote name='SteveDaWonder']I pre-ordered. I think that when the dust settles Microsoft will likely bundle some games in with this.[/QUOTE]

Ya I preordered at gamestop and I also agree. I can see them bundling the sports game in with it.. If so $150 is a great price. If not it still isnt too bad.

I guarantee if they announce compatibility for say a Call of Duty or a Halo that everyone thinks this is the greatest product.

For as much as people have bashed it, it is listed as one of the top seller for Amazon video games department despite the price point. Obviously people desire it so why are we debating it. Personally, I think the innovation is good. Yes, the games aren't fully here yet but they will come. Once I find a second game (interested in only Dance Central), then I also will scoop one up.

[quote name='bojay1997']But how many Xbox 360 owners have been holding out for the chance to spend $150 plus $60 per game (i.e. $210 which is $10 more than a new Wii package which includes an entire console with Motion Plus and pack-in game) on the off-chance that their girlfriend might someday want to play a game on it?
[/QUOTE]

Well the current 360 owners aren't necessarily the target, but as we all saw it seems to be positively accepted as shown on amazon.com sales chart. Just a comparison shows that both the Wii and Kinect is selling better than the PS Move right now. The former which has been on the market for a long time, while the latter isn't even released yet and significantly overpriced.

Granted this scenario doesn't apply to every or any other store, but it sure is indicative of positive reception so far.

[quote name='bojay1997']
The problem from my perspective is that Nintendo already has the kids and families covered, Sony is gonna pick up the more hardcore/adult gamer crowd and that leaves Microsoft with a mediocre technology that lacks compelling games. Unless they make incredible strides in the next few months in getting Kinect to recognize more subtle movements, it really is going to be another Eye Toy.
[/QUOTE]

It is true that Wii has the family and kids covered, some of them might not even be interested in buying a console anymore after being burned by Nintendo i.e. buying an expensive electronics that rarely if ever used. However, the Wii still sells as much as Sony and MS combined in hardware every month in the US.

We are not talking about Sony, but the demographic that Sony is going after, the hardcore gamers aren't interested in casual games. They see motion controls as a threat to their current gaming so I really see slow uptake of this. This is also reflective of the amazon.com sales chart, but I am surprised that it made it that far up the chart.

[quote name='bojay1997']
I can't tell you how much the booth staff struggled at E3 trying to make the Kinect pick up all but the most exaggerated motions. Look, I can tell you that both Wii and Rock Band/Guitar Hero are testaments to the power of non-traditional gamers as consumers. Having said that, Kinect doesn't have the same cross-over appeal as those technologies. It really is a product without a market niche right now and only time will tell if they can figure out some killer apps to make it appeal to gamers and other consumers. Frankly, I know a lot of moms and girlfriends and kids who don't mind holding a Wii remote and the fact that Kinect is controller free just isn't that much of a selling point when you consider all the accuracy and control you are giving up to get it.[/QUOTE]

From the video's I have seen sitting on the couch or even tracking subtle movements has not been an issue with PrimeSense. PrimeSense is a partner of MS and deliver some (not all of) the technology behind Kinect.

Here is a video of a dude sitting on a couch using his hand to navigate through a movie list without an issue:

http://www.engadget.com/2010/03/11/primesense-talks-full-body-motion-control-at-gdc-the-possibilit/

I could imagine how people would love to trade in their Wii Fitness for a system that can track your entire body and tell you if you did something wrong. A Wii remote that can only sense one part of your limb seems inferior in comparison for that particular use.

From all the responses I have seen, the majority are praising Kinect and as you said only time will tell if this will do well. However, the initial response is very positive from people that tried it, the pre-orders are positive even at the $150 price point and marketing has just started.

As a hardcore gamer though, I hope that MS is completely leaving out the hardcore market in general.

Didn't Peter Molyneux say something about there being support for Natal/Kinect in Fable 3? Something like that's honestly what it's going to take to convince me that this is worthwhile (and then, of course, it would depend on what they do with it), not this Kinectimals shit. Yet oddly, there was (as far as I've been able to find, anyway) no mention at all of it at the Kinect announcement. Did I miss something? Why would they leave something that major out of the announcement/demo?

[quote name='leesiulung']Well the current 360 owners aren't necessarily the target, but as we all saw it seems to be positively accepted as shown on amazon.com sales chart. Just a comparison shows that both the Wii and Kinect is selling better than the PS Move right now. The former which has been on the market for a long time, while the latter isn't even released yet and significantly overpriced.

Granted this scenario doesn't apply to every or any other store, but it sure is indicative of positive reception so far.

It is true that Wii has the family and kids covered, some of them might not even be interested in buying a console anymore after being burned by Nintendo i.e. buying an expensive electronics that rarely if ever used. However, the Wii still sells as much as Sony and MS combined in hardware every month in the US.

We are not talking about Sony, but the demographic that Sony is going after, the hardcore gamers aren't interested in casual games. They see motion controls as a threat to their current gaming so I really see slow uptake of this. This is also reflective of the amazon.com sales chart, but I am surprised that it made it that far up the chart.

From the video's I have seen sitting on the couch or even tracking subtle movements has not been an issue with PrimeSense. PrimeSense is a partner of MS and deliver some (not all of) the technology behind Kinect.

Here is a video of a dude sitting on a couch using his hand to navigate through a movie list without an issue:

http://www.engadget.com/2010/03/11/primesense-talks-full-body-motion-control-at-gdc-the-possibilit/

I could imagine how people would love to trade in their Wii Fitness for a system that can track your entire body and tell you if you did something wrong. A Wii remote that can only sense one part of your limb seems inferior in comparison for that particular use.

From all the responses I have seen, the majority are praising Kinect and as you said only time will tell if this will do well. However, the initial response is very positive from people that tried it, the pre-orders are positive even at the $150 price point and marketing has just started.

As a hardcore gamer though, I hope that MS is completely leaving out the hardcore market in general.[/QUOTE]

Here's the thing, you don't need to get a million pre-orders to top Amazon's pre-order list. It can be a few hundred or a few thousand. Given all the hype Kinect got this week in mainstream media, it really should be number one on the list. Having said that, I attended E3 this week. I actually played many of the demos not only at Microsoft's booth, but also at those of the third party developers supporting Kinect. You can look at all the videos you want on-line, but I saw it and used it myself. The technology is just not there yet for the type of motion detection Microsoft is trying to do with Kinect, at least not in a $150 product. Will the technology get there eventually? Of course. Having said that, look at how long it took for good voice recognition technology to come about and it's still not perfect. I really feel like optical recognition in motion control is the same thing. As someone who owned the earliest motion control devices like Sega's activator and everything since then, I can honestly say that this is an exciting technology, but not quite ready for the level of expectation many consumers and gamers have been hyped into thinking it will acheive in this first iteration.

I'd definitely be more convinced if all of Microsoft's presentations with Kinect weren't pre-recorded with actors...And the videos of people in booths playing were focused on both the player's motion, and the game's reaction to it...Not just the game merrily going through its motions.

And lordopus...Looking at Kinect as it is now (with what little is being showed) it's going to be a LONG wait until that day comes. I couldn't imagine trying to play an FPS with Kinect, using http://www.engadget.com/2010/03/11/p...he-possibilit/ as a reference...Just watch his hand as he sifts through the menu. The slightest altering of his hand gesture makes the camera think he's moving the menu backwards. You can imagine how confused the camera will get when you're attempting to hold a virtual gun in a fast paced game.

http://www.amazon.com/Youre-Movies-Xbox-360/dp/B001CMLKRW/ref=dp_cp_ob_vg_title_3

Anyways, take the above link for anyone interested in more of these type of games. Kinda sad, but for $20, you can get the same type of experience as what's being offered by M$oft with Kinect. Hell, and the shitty camera's included; no need to waste $150.

Just to add..."You're in the Movies" was fun. My friends and I made some pretty hilarious videos using my girlfriend's dog and cat as superheroes. Mmm...If only I had a virtual tiger to pat...

[quote name='bojay1997']Here's the thing, you don't need to get a million pre-orders to top Amazon's pre-order list. It can be a few hundred or a few thousand. Given all the hype Kinect got this week in mainstream media, it really should be number one on the list.
[/QUOTE]

Look you are right, but it certainly spells positive news when it outsells both the PS Move that was released at the same time and the Wii for an overpriced pre-order to the current demographic. There is no point in arguing about short terms sales, I'm just saying that there are positive reception among consumers as well as the media that has hands-on experience.

[quote name='bojay1997']
Having said that, I attended E3 this week. I actually played many of the demos not only at Microsoft's booth, but also at those of the third party developers supporting Kinect. You can look at all the videos you want on-line, but I saw it and used it myself. The technology is just not there yet for the type of motion detection Microsoft is trying to do with Kinect, at least not in a $150 product. Will the technology get there eventually? Of course. Having said that, look at how long it took for good voice recognition technology to come about and it's still not perfect. I really feel like optical recognition in motion control is the same thing. As someone who owned the earliest motion control devices like Sega's activator and everything since then, I can honestly say that this is an exciting technology, but not quite ready for the level of expectation many consumers and gamers have been hyped into thinking it will acheive in this first iteration.[/QUOTE]

I haven't tried it and I won't know until I get it in my hands or try it in-store, but you and a gazillion others got hands-on at E3. The majority of the people reporting back have all sad very positive things about it. This is backed up with videos that I have personally seen. It might not be perfect as is, and it might take some time and maybe even with a new hardware generation, but none the less this is exciting with the majority reporting positive experience.

Furthermore, technology moves so fast that the past isn't reflective of the future anymore. Within just a few years Sony was able to produce a superior Wii Motion Plus, so I don't see a long development cycle necessarily. I was thoroughly impressed by what they have shown so far. Now we just need the software that hopefully will come with time.

[quote name='FArgus']Dance Central was shown supporting at least 3 people on stage at E3. You had the main guy dancing and then the other 2 people got up and it recognized them as his "background" dancers.[/QUOTE]

The point of the game is to score points. The only persons whos dance moves get scored is the one in front. The "background dancers" are just idiots in the background playing around, they have 0 effect to the game itself. Watch the videos, its a single player experience. They tell you about Background Dancers but they might as well have said 80 background dancers, they're not being tracked or scored.

[quote name='Skoad']Kinect Sports
Kinect Adventures
Sonic Free Riders

Dance Central supports three players.[/QUOTE]

Unless you saw different videos of gameplay that i saw, all of those were single or two player games. Show me 4 people being tracked and scored at the same time.

[quote name='theflicker']I'm pretty sure that they've said that Kinect can recognize up to four people at once.[/QUOTE]

Microsoft says a lot of things.

[quote name='SilverBulletKY']I watched both the Kinect and Move demos at E3 and can say I was extremely impressed with Kinect. I wasn't even considering it before watching their showing of it. Now I'm definitely getting it. I wasn't impressed at all with the demonstration of Move. Also this price is a guess. Microsoft hasn't announced the official price yet.

Kinect is the #2 best selling 'video game' at Amazon on their chart right now.[/QUOTE]

Move looked stunning. What were you watching?

bojay1997 - thanks for your posts. your experiences at E3 exactly matched what I got from watching a ton of video of E3. The Move looks extremely precise (which makes sense; using the balls to track movement in 3D is technologically sound).

The demos were also live (as opposed to faked with actors, I'm looking at you, MS) and seemed to work quite well. Sorcery looked absolutely fantastic, and the huge lineup of AAA games for the Move are also a huge selling point (RE5, Time Crisis, Tron, Killzone 3, Heavy Rain, Socom 4, etc). Developers also seem to be in love with the tech, and many critics seem to have been won over by Move's demos (whereas, Kinect seems to have the critics a bit worried).

I own a wii, and it's going to gather even more dust because Move is everything i wanted the wii mote to be, but wasn't. I mean, I still play some games on wii (including many GC games) but the control isn't exactly accurate. My wife won't play most fitness games she wants because she's sick of the bad tracking it uses - nothing more annoying that throwing a punch or whatever and it not getting counted- but she's psyched for Move.

Last edited by a moderator:
I could care less about either Move or Shitbox. Though Sony sold me with move, with Heroes on the Move and that sorcery game they seem like fun platformers. Since Sony announced the price for the move and all First Party Move games are going to be $39.99 is a deal for me. The only complaint on the Move is that the bundle does not include a sub-controller. I already have the PS3 EYE and do not want another one.

Shitbox just looks like a big gimmick (well so does Move) but the fact that Microsoft has yet to release a price is also not helping me decide on a purchase. Every retailer seems to be in universal agreement that the main feature is going to be $149.99 and $59.99 for a game for it. All the first party games demoed at E3 should be on the same disc, they all seem like mini-games and not full fledge retail games. The only games I thought would be gun where the Harmonix one with dancing and that one by Ubisoft where you work out and the predator is stalking you. I will not in any way buy a Shitbox at these prices, Move I might because that Sorcery game and Heroes on the Move look like platforming fun, though I could play games like that on the Wii without spending the money on a Move controller and sub-controller.

[quote name='Davestation']I could care less about either Move or Shitbox. Though Sony sold me with move, with Heroes on the Move and that sorcery game they seem like fun platformers. Since Sony announced the price for the move and all First Party Move games are going to be $39.99 is a deal for me. The only complaint on the Move is that the bundle does not include a sub-controller. I already have the PS3 EYE and do not want another one.

Shitbox just looks like a big gimmick (well so does Move) but the fact that Microsoft has yet to release a price is also not helping me decide on a purchase. Every retailer seems to be in universal agreement that the main feature is going to be $149.99 and $59.99 for a game for it. All the first party games demoed at E3 should be on the same disc, they all seem like mini-games and not full fledge retail games. The only games I thought would be gun where the Harmonix one with dancing and that one by Ubisoft where you work out and the predator is stalking you. I will not in any way buy a Shitbox at these prices, Move I might because that Sorcery game and Heroes on the Move look like platforming fun, though I could play games like that on the Wii without spending the money on a Move controller and sub-controller.[/QUOTE]

You can use the regular controller in your left hand. I tried it and it wasn't really comfortable at all. Apparently you'll be using the left analog stick and the L1/L2 buttons. Go ahead and press those buttons in rapid succession while moving the stick around while holding something else in your right hand. It would be very uncomfortable. I'm pretty sure most people are going to want the navigator.

[quote name='blitz6speed']Unless you saw different videos of gameplay that i saw[/QUOTE]
I was there and asked the reps. Kinect Sports Volleyball has two versus two, Kinect Adventures River Rafting has four player co-op, Sonic Free Riders is four player versus and co-op.

just pre-ordered Move on Amazon.

I already have the eyetoy, but I still pre-ordered:
1 Bundle (move, eyetoy, game)
1 subcontroller
2 moves

Since there is no telling what offers Amazon will have between now and then, i'll cancel either one of the moves or the bundle near release. Basically, i just ordered the bundle in case there is a huge pre-order sale on it that makes it the better deal and i don't want to accidentally miss that.

My local gamestops arent too confident in this Kinect, went to two I visit regularly to take a look at the new xbox, but both stores weres sold out early this morning...employees at both stores asked if I was getting a Kinect and I said probably not then they said there's no need to buy the new xbox since I already had a box w/ wifi at home and they dont see the Kinect selling well at all.

[quote name='dennisb407']My local gamestops arent too confident in this Kinect, went to two I visit regularly to take a look at the new xbox, but both stores weres sold out early this morning...employees at both stores asked if I was getting a Kinect and I said probably not then they said there's no need to buy the new xbox since I already had a box w/ wifi at home and they dont see the Kinect selling well at all.[/QUOTE]

Gamestop employees don't know anything more than we know.

[quote name='Aleman']Gamestop employees don't know anything more than we know.[/QUOTE]
Might be true, but I know they saved me $300 today (had I been able to find an xbox)

I'll wait for a real "new" xbox...one that doesnt play 360 discs anymore lol

[quote name='typical guy']You can use the regular controller in your left hand. I tried it and it wasn't really comfortable at all. Apparently you'll be using the left analog stick and the L1/L2 buttons. Go ahead and press those buttons in rapid succession while moving the stick around while holding something else in your right hand. It would be very uncomfortable. I'm pretty sure most people are going to want the navigator.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I know that but like you said it looks uncomfortable and would rather have the other sub-controller instead of using a Dualshock 3.

I'm glad so many people know how things will sell a few months in advance. Kinect may not do well to the hardcore gaming audience, but look at all the Wii's and all the shitty games they sold. The major demographic is in family fun and they may just hit that if they market it correctly.

It feels like to me that both will do ok but the Kinect is different enough to give it an edge at this point. The move just looks like a Wii-mote and people won't be out in droves for another Wii-mote type device when they may already own one.

If the Kinect is as great as M$ says it will be, I see it doing very well.

Playing a shooter isn't even conceivable at this point on Kinect. How would you fire your weapon? make a two finger gun? how would you reload your weapon, throw a grenade or switch to night vision? Don't expect a Halo or a Call of Duty FPS anytime ...

Every single Kinect title that's in the works is a casual game, with no accuracy as seen by E3 live game demos. For gaming in my view Kinect is Pathetic.

Kinect is nothing more than a SONY PS2 Eyetoy clone with a microphone. Sure you can talk to your XBOX to power on, launch an app, turn off. This is the only good thing about Kinect as you have another way to interface with your XBOX. But its a bit expensive at $150 for that

Sony will support the hardcore gamers and the casual audience.

Hardcore Games: SOCOM 4 3rd person shooter works spectacularly with the Move controller (duck, shoot, grenade, move) along with a new Resident Evil game, a new Time Crisis game.

Casual Games: Sony also announced many party games (Start the Party, Sports, Fighter). They will have 40 titles this holiday

[quote name='Ogami Itto']$150 for a device that you can't use while sitting down? LOL, HELL NO!

Move all the way.[/QUOTE]

how do you expect to play your dance games on your upgraded wii?

[quote name='bigwoof']how do you expect to play your dance games on your upgraded wii?[/QUOTE]

lol wut? I don't play dance games, and I exercise by running outside or at the gym. So $150 for a device that can only be used with dance games? LMAO, HELL NO!

[quote name='bigwoof']how do you expect to play your dance games on your upgraded wii?[/QUOTE]

Ignoring your trolling efforts, you do realize the Move relies on the Playstation Eye a camera that is capable of detecting body movements and gestures. Perhaps not as advanced as Kinect, but it can do similar things if Sony wanted to go that route. Hell, even the Eyetoy was doing things the Kinect can do 5-6 years ago. Look at some videos of anti-grav on youtube (made by Harmonix)

The Move is definitely the superior of the two, and that's not me talking, that's the majority of VG sites who've used both. Kinect is kind of cool, but it simply doesn't work all that great. MS needs to fix a lot of issues (like the sitting one) to make it successful. It'll still sell better than the Move but perhaps undeservingly so.

as of now, kinect is a sack of shit, and i expect it will be for years to come.

i already own a 360, and i'd rather pay $50 more for a wii. the wii comes with wii sports & wii sports resort, which are probably better party games than any other kinect game that will release this year. Give me a break, do i want to play zomba party, Adrenalin Misfits, Deca Sports Collection, Dance Central, Sonic Free Riders or do i want to play new super mario bros wii, mario galaxy, mario galaxy 2, zelda skyward sword, metroid prime, donkey kong, etc.

the only demographic that kinect has a chance of profiting from is the people who already own a 360 AND a wii, and just have a lot of money they want to blow off. because no one's going to buy a 360 just to buy kinect, and no one's gonna buy a kinect over a wii.

I think that Children of Eden and Dance Central both look great. I think that Kinect can enable games unlike any we have now. But I think that it will simply be unable to enhance or even allow for conventional games. For those, Microsoft will be arguing that you should continue to play them as you do today--with a controller.

Sony's method seems to be the best for enabling webcam and voice control while also allowing for Wii-like controls with superior precision to the Wii. As I've always said going into E3, I think Sony's got more experience with webcam gaming and knew that some kind of controllers are REQUIRED to enable precision gaming. Waving your hands will never be precise enough and not being able to sit down is... unacceptable for standard games that go beyond casual.

Imo, the best option would have been a hybrid between Sony's and Microsoft's approaches, but in a way, Sony's Eyetoy has a lot of the features of the Natal technology anyway (primitive skeletal mapping of the head's position, voice recognition and control, webcam recording). I think Sony's smart to come out first and come out cheaper (assuming you use a Dualshock for navigation) with cheaper games. Pity Microsoft if they let Sony get out in front because the Wii HD argument will get every good (and probably a lot of bad) Wii games ported if there's any money to be made at all. Sony was already catching up to Microsoft in marketshare. If Microsoft loses the Motion Control War, Sony'll likely pass them. Especially if Nintendo doesn't release a Wii HD...

I don't know if we can comment on the use of it, since its not out yet. But as for the price that we see do far - that's a good point -- why not just get a Wii for $50 more -- lot more games available.

I think if MS would release it a $99.99, then we'd be having a different conversation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back