[Amazon] Tales of Symphonia Chronicles: Collector's Edition ($99.99)- PlayStation 3 Preorder is up

I called in to Amazon to complain about the packaging on my Symphonia CE; there was damage to two corners on it from floating around in the box.  The woman I spoke with offered to exchange it for me, but I had to remind her that it was the limited edition and may not be in stock.  She said that since it arrived damaged and she couldn't replace it for me, she would refund the purchase and allow me to keep it.  Obviously I didn't try and talk her out of it, but now I'm not sure how I feel about it, considering the fact that the game itself isn't damaged at all.  I rarely have the need to call Amazon to complain about anything so I'm in no danger of getting banned for calling in too much, but it's still nagging at me a bit.

Well, she made the offer without me prompting her for anything, all I wanted was to see if there were any cancellations in stock.  I guess I'll force myself to live with it.   :whistle2: Main point of this is you can keep your low edition number, I got mine for freeeeeeeee!  :D/

Last edited by a moderator:
I called in to Amazon to complain about the packaging on my Symphonia CE; there was damage to two corners on it from floating around in the box. The woman I spoke with offered to exchange it for me, but I had to remind her that it was the limited edition and may not be in stock. She said that since it arrived damaged and she couldn't replace it for me, she would refund the purchase and allow me to keep it. Obviously I didn't try and talk her out of it, but now I'm not sure how I feel about it, considering the fact that the game itself isn't damaged at all. I rarely have the need to call Amazon to complain about anything so I'm in no danger of getting banned for calling in too much, but it's still nagging at me a bit.

Well, she made the offer without me prompting her for anything, all I wanted was to see if there were any cancellations in stock. I guess I'll force myself to live with it. :whistle2: Main point of this is you can keep your low edition number, I got mine for freeeeeeeee! :D/
See, as cool as that is, you still have a damaged item at the end of the day--whether you paid $5 or $500 for it. I would just be selling that and looking for a mint one, but hopefully you're happy with that. After all, if you're not too hung up on condition, that's one hell of a deal!

Well looks like my Collectors Edition I ordered from amazon gone delivered to a wrong address and they do not know where it was sent to. So I don't get mine. I got a refund but now im out of my copy. Stupendous.

Well looks like my Collectors Edition I ordered from amazon gone delivered to a wrong address and they do not know where it was sent to. So I don't get mine. I got a refund but now im out of my copy. Stupendous.
How did they know it delivered it to a wrong address, but not know the exact address?

You should get a refund and something else on top of it, unless it was the carrier's fault.

See, as cool as that is, you still have a damaged item at the end of the day--whether you paid $5 or $500 for it. I would just be selling that and looking for a mint one, but hopefully you're happy with that. After all, if you're not too hung up on condition, that's one hell of a deal!
Yeah, I'm still looking around for another one, but at this stage I'm not really that optimistic on finding one at retail. I could sell the one I have and use it towards one on eBay or Amazon, but I'm not too fond of giving money to a flipper, so I'll probably just live with it.

Wow, so has anyone who ordered online received a copy that wasn't damaged?
My copy from Amazon came fine. It was packaged the same as one person posted on this thread or the rpg one ( CE on one side air bags on another). My mailman knows me well now so I think it does help since I never get anything smashed unless it comes from fedex or ups. Also my number is in the 14,000's/18,000 really high since I ordered it a long time ago :wall:

So if CAGs didnt get low copies then who the hell did? o_O
Cags that preordered directly off Namco reported getting CE's in the 2000's. Nobody has posted about getting below that so far. Maybe the new orders from yesterday are those since they were just a restock of cancelled orders. Hopefully :)

Cags that preordered directly off Namco reported getting CE's in the 2000's. Nobody has posted about getting below that so far. Maybe the new orders from yesterday are those since they were just a restock of cancelled orders. Hopefully :)
As already posted, the Namco/Bandai store restocked the Tales of Xillia Collector's Edition and claims that these are all "Numbered under 500". I'm betting they do the same thing in a few months with the Tales of Symphonia Chronicles Collector's Editions. To my mind, that's where all the low numbers are hiding.

Nope, my one is still pending.

hahaha, I won't be surprised.

I'm still mad they canceled one copy of Ni No Kuni Wizard Edition but was able to ship a bunch to Play Canada and to people that ordered after me (mooooo)
play-canada, must have an inside-man at namco, in order to secure that many copies.

play-canada, must have an inside-man at namco, in order to secure that many copies.
I think the problem was that there was no quantity limit on the back door link.

That seller must netted roughly $50,000 in profits on that CE alone. It was insane.

No, too much misinformation on that. Play-canada preordered all of their copies during the ninostarter thing. There was no underhanded stuff going on. It's hilarious how much people still get mad about this though, thinking Namco sold them out from under them to play-canada.

No, too much misinformation on that. Play-canada preordered all of their copies during the ninostarter thing. There was no underhanded stuff going on. It's hilarious how much people still get mad about this though, thinking Namco sold them out from under them to play-canada.
yep. I remember seeing their listing during the summer when namco had their campaign up. they preordered early when there was no limit.

To all of you who did not manage to get a copy. Have you tried using the gamestop store checker? I ran a search in Austin TX and I see 1 copy available and at least 4 others in the surrounding areas. It's worth a shot to search in your area.

Here is the link to the store checker. Make sure you call ahead to see if they have them available.

http://www.gamestop.com/browse/storesearch.aspx?sku=271477

Got my copy today from amazon, arrived in perfect condition. It was packed to one side of a form fitting box width-wise with air bubble packing on the other side. I got number 17,3xx. I knew that since it was taking so long it'd either by very high or very low.

I think this is the closest to the last one made of any numbered collectors edition I've gotten.

It looked nice in the unboxing video posted earlier (with number 17,999!) but in person it looks even better. Very well made/designed imo.

To all of you who did not manage to get a copy. Have you tried using the gamestop store checker? I ran a search in Austin TX and I see 1 copy available and at least 4 others in the surrounding areas. It's worth a shot to search in your area.

Here is the link to the store checker. Make sure you call ahead to see if they have them available.

http://www.gamestop.com/browse/storesearch.aspx?sku=271477
I am in the Austin area also. I called the closest store that showed it in stock and she said it was for a customer that didn't get their preorder. She said she already checked all the local stores and nobody has them. :(

So it seems like any that show up on the store checker are not going to be available if you didn't preorder...

I just got mine from Amazon and it's in perfect condition. As I said, I chatted with them yesterday and like an hour later, mine shipped and got here today. Packaging was in a box with air bubble around three sides.

I got #16298

I am in the Austin area also. I called the closest store that showed it in stock and she said it was for a customer that didn't get their preorder. She said she already checked all the local stores and nobody has them. :(

So it seems like any that show up on the store checker are not going to be available if you didn't preorder...
Yeah, that's the case. Although it may be worth looking into since that's how I grabbed my copy of Windwaker HD LE.

Got mine today from Amazon. Came in perfect condition despite uneven packaging. Packaging wasn't bad... it just had all the padding on one side of the box instead of being evened out.

Isn't gamestops pre-order gaurentee only to hold your copy for 48 hours? After that it's up for grabs?
In theory that is the policy. However the two different "low-stock" game stops that I visited said that they didn't receive enough to cover all of their pre-orders, they had received a second shipment today and they intend to hold the pre-order through the weekend.

I remember calling my local Gamestop on release day because the website said "Low Stock". The employee told me it was a pre-order, and when I asked how long they would hold it, they said they hold collector's editions for months. I also know my Gamestop can get games transferred from other stores, but even in Denver, where it was also "Low Stock", the game was reserved. All in all, it seems highly unlikely to be able to find it at a local store and it not be reserved.

Huh, it says that 6 gamestops near me have it in stock, and one doesn't actually say "LOW STOCK". It says "in stock".
Getting this as well for the cloest Gamestop to me, which is in the mall. May give them a call tomorrow morning and head out that way if they have it in stock and for sale.

I remember calling my local Gamestop on release day because the website said "Low Stock". The employee told me it was a pre-order, and when I asked how long they would hold it, they said they hold collector's editions for months. I also know my Gamestop can get games transferred from other stores, but even in Denver, where it was also "Low Stock", the game was reserved. All in all, it seems highly unlikely to be able to find it at a local store and it not be reserved.
This is what I'm thinking, too. However I know a few people who got Bravely Default CEs the same way (Picking up a pre-order after the 48 hour hold) so it's worth checking in to at least

Getting this as well for the cloest Gamestop to me, which is in the mall. May give them a call tomorrow morning and head out that way if they have it in stock and for sale.

This is what I'm thinking, too. However I know a few people who got Bravely Default CEs the same way (Picking up a pre-order after the 48 hour hold) so it's worth checking in to at least
I'd do it first thing in the morning! If the ebay/craigslist scalpers get wind of it, they'll be on it like vultures. I mean, I know it's been out for 3-4 days technically, but still. They might only have one copy not allocated to a preorder.

Only one place within 100 miles of me will confirm they have a copy and it is on preorder hold until "at least Monday". Who preorders a collectors edition and doesn't go pick it up in the first day or two?

I just got back from getting it from GameStop. Had to drive 20 miles for it but well worth it. I called a few stores and this one was willing to hold it for 48 hours. When I showed up he said the store randomly got it today which they had no preorders for. So it's worth calling btw my number is 1306/18000

I just got back from getting it from GameStop. Had to drive 20 miles for it but well worth it. I called a few stores and this one was willing to hold it for 48 hours. When I showed up he said the store randomly got it today which they had no preorders for. So it's worth calling btw my number is 1306/18000
Damn! That might be the lowest number yet!

^ lots of people? Seems like kind of an inane question?
Considering the odds of a store giving away a preorder are pretty high and the fact this was an extremely limited print run I think it is an extremely valid question. You might have considered it rhetorical though and just not replied though bud.

That is not always true. I got mine the day after it came out from the Cedar Park store that received a non-preorder copy. You should talk them into selling you the copy and mention that in their policy, they will only hold a preorder for 48 hrs.

Good luck!

Called a local gamestop and was able to pick one up. I would recommend checking their online inventory, many stores show in stock today. Got # 1904

Also want to say that when I bought mine, another customer came in and was able to ask the manager to get another delivered to the store by monday.

Is it weird that these numbers almost seem to be counting down to the lower/later stock. I perordered mine within an hour of it going up and got 16609.

Got mine today from Amazon, great condition, 17994 of 18000, wish it was 18000, that would be cool

I'm getting kind of upset about some Gamestops' eagerness to release their holds on pre-ordered copies.  Normally, I would agree with reaperztoll, and assume that the buyer would be excited to pick up their CE on the day of release.  Flippers, of course, are eager to do that because to them it's "inventory" not a game.  Buy, maybe you're traveling, getting off work late, studying for a test, going out on a date, or it's just inconvenient for you to to pick up a game until the weekend.  Most people have other priorities besides playing video games.  Gamestop should hold it until you pick it up, or at the very least make additional attempts to contact you before releasing the order.  With a regular game, the 48 hour hold isn't a big deal because they'll have more copies soon.  With a CE that's not a given and I think a MINIMUM 2 week hold is perfectly fine, even if it's to scrounge together enough cash to pay off the remaining balance.  You're not really buying the game with a CE- you're buying all the extra stuff that says how much you think you'll like the game.  You believed in the game before it was rare/valuable and know you'd only get 1 shot to buy it at a reasonable price.  And don't respond that you should just order from Amazon or BB.com- ordering in-store will provide far less likelihood (though not guaranteed) that you'll get a damaged copy.  

tl;dr - I shouldn't have to worry about GS selling my reservation before the weekend. Being willing to to put money down on that a few months out from release should buy more than 2 days' peace of mind. 

It's brings me great joy when I can snag someone's pre order by sneaking in once the hold limit has expired which is usually 48 hours from my experience :)

I'm getting kind of upset about some Gamestops' eagerness to release their holds on pre-ordered copies. Normally, I would agree with reaperztoll, and assume that the buyer would be excited to pick up their CE on the day of release. Flippers, of course, are eager to do that because to them it's "inventory" not a game. Buy, maybe you're traveling, getting off work late, studying for a test, going out on a date, or it's just inconvenient for you to to pick up a game until the weekend. Most people have other priorities besides playing video games. Gamestop should hold it until you pick it up, or at the very least make additional attempts to contact you before releasing the order. With a regular game, the 48 hour hold isn't a big deal because they'll have more copies soon. With a CE that's not a given and I think a MINIMUM 2 week hold is perfectly fine, even if it's to scrounge together enough cash to pay off the remaining balance. You're not really buying the game with a CE- you're buying all the extra stuff that says how much you think you'll like the game. You believed in the game before it was rare/valuable and know you'd only get 1 shot to buy it at a reasonable price. And don't respond that you should just order from Amazon or BB.com- ordering in-store will provide far less likelihood (though not guaranteed) that you'll get a damaged copy.

tl;dr - I shouldn't have to worry about GS selling my reservation before the weekend. Being willing to to put money down on that a few months out from release should buy more than 2 days' peace of mind.
Two weeks is too long. No retailer holds orders for that long.

If you are out of town call your local GS store; most would be more then happy to hold the item longer. That or go in before release and pay it off in full.

bread's done
Back