Amazon to start collecting sales tax in Indiana in '14

I don't know why people are crying over this issue. We all know it's coming, and no matter what, if you purchase from Amazon and you're not charged sales tax, you have to file use tax with your state when you do your yearly taxes.

States are losing out sales tax revenue and obviously, they want what they're due. That's why there's use tax filing on your state income tax form.

[quote name='shrike4242']I don't know why people are crying over this issue. We all know it's coming, and no matter what, if you purchase from Amazon and you're not charged sales tax, you have to file use tax with your state when you do your yearly taxes.

States are losing out sales tax revenue and obviously, they want what they're due. That's why there's use tax filing on your state income tax form.[/QUOTE]
Even w/ sales tax, Amazon has saved me so much time/money that I don't mind paying sales tax.

Yup, obviously rather not have Amazon collect tax automatically, but this is inevitable.

Just suck living in LA with our high sales tax and the possibility of even higher tax if Governor Brown gets his way.

But yes, even with the tax, amazon (along with prime) is so convenient and they usually have the best (or at least very competitive )price anyway. Save $, save time, save gas, same aggravation of going into crowded stores.

Damn. Figured it was coming at some point, but damn. Kinda surprised it took this long with Amazon having that distribution center about 15 minutes outside of Indianapolis. At least NewEgg still doesn't collect tax.

[quote name='shrike4242']I don't know why people are crying over this issue. We all know it's coming, and no matter what, if you purchase from Amazon and you're not charged sales tax, you have to file use tax with your state when you do your yearly taxes.

States are losing out sales tax revenue and obviously, they want what they're due. That's why there's use tax filing on your state income tax form.[/QUOTE]

Exactly. When this happens in IL, it'll be much easier than telling H&R WTF I bought from Amazon...

They tried this here in Connecticut and Amazon rightfully told the state to go fuck themselves since theres no distribution center here. I think ultimately the state backed down.

They are starting this in TN in 2014 too. The amount of backlash and threats to boycott amazon is great. I'm enjoying it just for the entertainment value now.

Amazon hasn't wanted each state to do this on their own, like here in California, but they ARE now working towards collecting sales tax nationwide. That's why Cali gave them until next September, so they could better put their sales tax plan together. This will soon come to every state that has a sales tax.

[quote name='EdgeCrusher36']They are starting this in TN in 2014 too. The amount of backlash and threats to boycott amazon is great. I'm enjoying it just for the entertainment value now.[/QUOTE]

why are they boycotting amazon? not amazons fault. amazon fought hard not to collect taxes. you all should fired your local elected officials.

[quote name='shrike4242']

How come states that don't charge sales tax like oregon and new hampshire living fine? But states that do charge sales tax are not getting enough revenue and even wants to increase the sale tax...

Amazon has charged tax for purchases here in New York for a few years now. I am pretty sure they don't have a distribution center in NY state. New York said that Amazon had to collect taxes cause they had "affiliates" in the state. Basically if a website advertised or linked to Amazon and it was physically in New York, it was considered an "affiliate" and meant Amazon had a physical presense in the state. NewEgg collected tax here for a few months then decided to fight NY and no longer does. Living here sucks cause our sales taxes are so high (8.75%), property taxes thru the roof and the state is always broke.

Lucky you got til '14, some states have already started collecting tax, and my state CA will start this year, so you should take it as a blessing you still get the benefit of no tax from Amazon for a couple more years.

As long as NewEgg doesn't start charging KY tax I'm happy.

Even with tax Amazon saves me money, but I buy all my computer stuff from The Egg.

bread's done
Back