Amazon trade-in hassle.

rbanke

CAGiversary!
So I traded in my PSP Go which had a like new value of 94.75. My unit was in like new condition. In fact it had only been played while sitting at my desk and only a few times over the past 12 months. When I bought this psp, I kept the box along with everything that comes with it, even the twist ties and plastic bags (hell even the tape on those bags). When I sent this to Amazon, it was in brand new condition.

-------------
Fast forward to today, I see that they have received my trade-in, but am shocked to see they have decided to only give me 28 dollars. The reason listed:

You had specified the condition of your item as Like New. Upon inspection, the condition of your item was determined to be Acceptable due to the following reasons:

Original packaging missing
-------------

There was absolutely NOTHING missing from this package. I even watched an unboxing to make sure all the items were placed back in the box like it came from the factory. With exception to the OEM seal being cut, there was nothing to tell you this was not brand new.

The amazing thing about this is not only did they say it isn't like new, they didn't even drop it to 'Good' which was $80. They dropped it straight to acceptable for 28 bucks.

Currently I'm on hold with their support but this guy doesn't seem to know anything about trade ins and has been telling me that they reduced the price because it's missing packaging...

sigh.

Has anyone been through this before?

Update, so after being on hold for a while, he said they are willing to give me amazon promotion credit making up the difference. This is ok with me because I'm going to buy game stuff with this money anyway. But man, that was a shock. I guess next time I'll select 'send back' anything that doesn't meet the amount. I didn't do that because I was ok with the 'good' ammount and didnt think there was any way it was anything but like new...

Yeah the second time I tried to trade in a game (in pristine condition sent in a box with that bubble wrapping) they sent it back with a crack in it.

Last time I use their trade-in service.

I'm sure now you'll hear a dozen people chime in that they never had a problem, but I'll let the smart folks figure this one out for themselves.

Unless I'm mistaken, Amazon doesn't actually handle the video game trade ins... they're just the middlemen. It's done by some marketplace seller... there was a big debacle with that as they kept selling re-sealed used games as new about a year ago.

Did they change where you can choose, "if not the condition I claim, send it back"? that seemed like an easy middle ground.

[quote name='Vinny']Unless I'm mistaken, Amazon doesn't actually handle the video game trade ins... they're just the middlemen. It's done by some marketplace seller... there was a big debacle with that as they kept selling re-sealed used games as new about a year ago.[/QUOTE]They are just the middle person. The real receiver of the items is NorAm International. The shipments don't even go to Amazon, they go to NorAm's warehouse in the northeast.

[quote name='dtcarson']Did they change where you can choose, "if not the condition I claim, send it back"? that seemed like an easy middle ground.[/QUOTE]Nope. Still available. OP just missed that when he set up the trade-in.

[quote name='dtcarson']Did they change where you can choose, "if not the condition I claim, send it back"? that seemed like an easy middle ground.[/QUOTE]

You can choose that, I didn't choose it because it was like brand new and figured at absolute worst it would be considered 'good' which I was ok with, how they determined it was acceptable is beyond me.

Amazon's policy on trade ins is pretty obviously this:

Advertise high trade in values
give the lowest possible condition value when it is recieved
hope you don't call in and bitch
if you call in and bitch, act apologetic and give the actual value they advertised.

They probably get the low values on 9/10 people who don't even think to check after they send their stuff in. I stopped even considering amazon for trade ins for that reason a long time ago.

[quote name='jer7583']Amazon's policy on trade ins is pretty obviously this:

Advertise high trade in values
give the lowest possible condition value when it is recieved
hope you don't call in and bitch
if you call in and bitch, act apologetic and give the actual value they advertised.

They probably get the low values on 9/10 people who don't even think to check after they send their stuff in. I stopped even considering amazon for trade ins for that reason a long time ago.[/QUOTE]
:applause:I was going to send in my copies of GTA IV and GTA IV Episodes for PS3 to Amazon since they were offering more than anyone else out there for them. But then I remembered that I dealt with NorScam before and they tried to pull the sort of bs had to deal with on me.

I received a promo credit for the items I sent in to them AND I received the items back. The OP should definitely be warned that Amazon promo credit does NOT work on Amazon's Warehouse Deals site items, but rather ONLY on stuff sold by and shipped from Amazon. com proper.

Yeah, I'll click on the "send it back" tab if sending in a Like New item, make the bums pay return shipping rather than let them downgrade it at their discretion. You can get good TIVs from them sometimes, other times they'll reject stuff for no logical reason (except maybe that they're getting oversupplied).

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']:applause:I was going to send in my copies of GTA IV and GTA IV Episodes for PS3 to Amazon since they were offering more than anyone else out there for them. But then I remembered that I dealt with NorScam before and they tried to pull the sort of bs had to deal with on me.

I received a promo credit for the items I sent in to them AND I received the items back. The OP should definitely be warned that Amazon promo credit does NOT work on Amazon's Warehouse Deals site items, but rather ONLY on stuff sold by and shipped from Amazon. com proper.[/QUOTE]

Sucks that this seems to be more than just a one time thing. This was only the second time I've used their trade-in system and the first time was flawless. I suppose the lesson here is to use the 'return item' when sending in stuff that is expensive, or I am unwilling to take the cheapest price offered.

As far as the promo credit, thats fine with me as I buy quite a bit through Amazon and usually prefer to buy from amazon.com over 3rd party (i dont use the warehouse much either actually).

I was kinda surprised at one of my recent trade-ins with Amazon. I traded in some dvd sets that were in like new condition, and some of them were downgraded to good. That wasn't too bad.

On the other hand, I have tried twice to trade in their MOD set of Aaahh Real Monsters season 1. Each time, it was rejected as "Incorrect Format" (probably because they're DVD-Rs). Until just a couple of weeks ago, this set was only available through Amazon's Createspace MOD (now Shout Factory has released a proper season 1 set). The listing for the MOD set is where I went to do the trade-in. Why offer a trade-in for an item that you don't accept?

As for the OP, congrats on getting credited the difference.

The second time I used Amazon's vg tradein, my disc was broken in the mail.

I always pad anything I send, I have over 50 trades with flesh-and-blood folks and this has never happened. Needless to say it was the last time I used their service - I'd rather trade my stuff into Gamestop.

[quote name='Indigo_Streetlight']Yeah, I'll click on the "send it back" tab if sending in a Like New item, make the bums pay return shipping rather than let them downgrade it at their discretion. You can get good TIVs from them sometimes, other times they'll reject stuff for no logical reason (except maybe that they're getting oversupplied).[/QUOTE]

Except for a system with a serial number, how can you prove they didn't switch your item? (That's happened to me with eBay before...)

[quote name='soonersfan60']Except for a system with a serial number, how can you prove they didn't switch your item? (That's happened to me with eBay before...)[/QUOTE]

Make it identifiable in some way. For video games, you could mark it with a marker somewhere that won't be noticed.

I always take photos of everything I send in to trade. I photograph the fronts and backs of discs, game cases, manuals, all the packing material, and the final taped up box. That way if something like this happens, you have proof to show them the condition it was in when you sent it.

[quote name='DarkRider23']Make it identifiable in some way. For video games, you could mark it with a marker somewhere that won't be noticed.[/QUOTE]

When I sell on Amazon, anything high value (typically $100+ electronics, $30+ for DVDs/games) I mark it in a few spots with a UV pen. Practically invisible except under a blacklight. I started doing that after I received a few high value DVDs returned all scratched to shit, and they were mint when they shipped.

[quote name='sp00ge']When I sell on Amazon, anything high value (typically $100+ electronics, $30+ for DVDs/games) I mark it in a few spots with a UV pen. Practically invisible except under a blacklight. I started doing that after I received a few high value DVDs returned all scratched to shit, and they were mint when they shipped.[/QUOTE]

That's a great idea. Where can you buy a UV pen though?

[quote name='sp00ge']When I sell on Amazon, anything high value (typically $100+ electronics, $30+ for DVDs/games) I mark it in a few spots with a UV pen. Practically invisible except under a blacklight. I started doing that after I received a few high value DVDs returned all scratched to shit, and they were mint when they shipped.[/QUOTE]
Good idea. I actually used permanent marker on the black portion of a PS2 disc(where it says Playstation 2 on it) and on the back of the coverart of the same game when I wanted to PROVE that Gamestop around here was charging refurb fees on game trades and NOT sending them in to be cleaned/buffed.

now you guys are making me not want to trade my old iphone in to them. I put as "Acceptable" because it has a crack on the back side but besides that works perfectly fine. You think im gonna have problems?

[quote name='skiizim']here[/QUOTE]

I didn't realize that UV and invisible pens are the same thing.. considering both need a black light. How embarrassing.

bread's done
Back