Amazon UK 3 for 2 Blu-Ray Sale

amazon should extend the sale to US as well.
iy.gif

iy.gif

[quote name='steve3050']amazon should extend the sale to US as well.
iy.gif

iy.gif
[/QUOTE]

You mean offer up titles that won't work in Region A players? Yeah, good idea.

[quote name='GizmoGC']You mean offer up titles that won't work in Region A players? Yeah, good idea.[/QUOTE]
Actually the majority of those titles are region free. I think only a handful of Fox titles are locked. And I think he meant that amazon should offer a B2G1 with a much more large and varied selection.
[quote name='erectiontown']which region-free UK exclusives are there?[/QUOTE]
Predator 2
Hills Have Eyes
The Island
Mandy Lane
Almost Famous

Those are a few I can think of without sorting through the massive list. There should also be a few Hong Kong titles in there somewhere.

[quote name='shadowrage']Actually the majority of those titles are region free. I think only a handful of Fox titles are locked. And I think he meant that amazon should offer a B2G1 with a much more large and varied selection.

Predator 2
Hills Have Eyes
The Island
Mandy Lane
Almost Famous

Those are a few I can think of without sorting through the massive list. There should also be a few Hong Kong titles in there somewhere.[/QUOTE]

Amazon has done tons of B2G1's in the past few months with upwards of 200 titles.

Region lock with Blus is pretty much the same idea as region locking with DVDs. Different distributers own the rights to the same movie in different territories and thus are 'obligated' to prevent people from a region they don't have distribution rights to buying the film. Plus it's a way to artificially inflate the price of movies so that for instance people from England couldn't just import all their movies from the US or Canada for super cheap.

As for region free UK Blus that are exclusive, there are quite a few. I have the following for instance:

Assembly
The Goonies
The Guard Post
The Island
I'm A Cyborg
Seraphim Falls
The Tudors S1 & S2
and Zulu

and have the following on order now:

The Bone Collector
Days of Glory
Hidden
JCVD
Saints & Soldiers

I'm hoping too that Taken will turn out region free.

Don't know if it's included in the sale or not, but Kidulthood is region free as well (although the sequel Adulthood is not :cry:).

Definitely dropped some prices (I miss price protection! sigh), and changed the selection around. A few movies I had in my cart aren't part of the sale anymore, like Tudors S1.

I'm assuming that the prices will be updated during the checkout right? In the cart, they still appear at their original price.

And I'm assuming the checkout system will price the lowest as 'free' am I right?

Is there some strategy that the regulars apply for these offers? (yeah i'm a noob)

A few things to note for folks unfamiliar with ordering from Amazon UK:

1. It'll take about a week for delivery (very fast shipping, IMO).
2. Your order will be cheaper than it looks as Amazon UK prices include VAT, which is not charged in the US.
3. Shipping is actually quite reasonable.

As for Region encoding, it's best to look around online before placing an order. Here are a few sites to check:

http://bluray.liesinc.net/index.php?region=b
http://www.thedvdforums.com/forums/showthread.php?p=7404883
http://regionfreemovies.com/

[quote name='basis']I'm assuming that the prices will be updated during the checkout right? In the cart, they still appear at their original price.

And I'm assuming the checkout system will price the lowest as 'free' am I right?

Is there some strategy that the regulars apply for these offers? (yeah i'm a noob)[/QUOTE]

yeah, once you get to the final page of checkout it gives you a credit for the cheapest movie of the bunch. Unfortunately with shipping it doesn't make sense to make multiple orders at multiple price points.

[quote name='Justin42']yeah, once you get to the final page of checkout it gives you a credit for the cheapest movie of the bunch. Unfortunately with shipping it doesn't make sense to make multiple orders at multiple price points.[/quote]

Thanks for trying to explain to me. So I guess what you're saying is don't purchase something like the following example: $30, $20 & $15... but rather $30, $30, $30 to maximize the cost of shipping. Am I correct or is my understanding still flawed?

[quote name='basis']Thanks for trying to explain to me. So I guess what you're saying is don't purchase something like the following example: $30, $20 & $15... but rather $30, $30, $30 to maximize the cost of shipping. Am I correct or is my understanding still flawed?[/quote]

For example, if this were a sale on Amazon US, you could put several orders through to maximize your discount (i.e. one order with 3 movies at $30 each, one with 3 movies at $20 each, etc - so you're not buying two $30 movies and getting one for $15 free).

With the Amazon UK purchase, shipping cost doesn't really allow you to do that, so you may as well just put everything through on one order.

At least, that's how I understood it.

Yeah, that's what I meant. Shipping is just high enough that if you had 6 movies you wanted, at $30, $30, $27, $15, $10, and $10, that you save NO money putting through one order of the higher priced 3 and another of the lower priced 3, because of shipping costs eating the savings.

[quote name='thelonepig']A few things to note for folks unfamiliar with ordering from Amazon UK:

1. It'll take about a week for delivery (very fast shipping, IMO).
2. Your order will be cheaper than it looks as Amazon UK prices include VAT, which is not charged in the US.
3. Shipping is actually quite reasonable.

As for Region encoding, it's best to look around online before placing an order. Here are a few sites to check:

http://bluray.liesinc.net/index.php?region=b
http://www.thedvdforums.com/forums/showthread.php?p=7404883
http://regionfreemovies.com/[/quote]

How much cheaper? For instance if my "Place Your Order" final page says Order Toatl: 100 pounds how much will I actually pay or get charged?

[quote name='fronk777']How much cheaper? For instance if my "Place Your Order" final page says Order Toatl: 100 pounds how much will I actually pay or get charged?[/quote]

Your best option would be to run through the purchase to where you get the total (before finalizing your order). It only takes a few minutes to run through the various scenarios to see which will cost you less.

Your final order page will be the correct amount, so you would be looking at 100 GBP in that case.

Also, every time I've ordered from Amazon UK, the order total is immediately converted from GBP to Euro. It then takes about 3 days to finalize the transaction through my bank - the Euro amount is converted at the time it is finalized with the bank, not at the time the order is placed. Typically it only amounts to $1 or so either way based on exchange rates, but if you need to know the exact amount that will be coming out of your account, you are probably SOL.

VAT is 15% right now, I think... but the prices drop when you go to the final page of checkout (once you've confirmed your address) -- so the price you see on the LAST page before the final submission is the price you pay. (look at the list of items in the cart on that screen and you'll see they're cheaper)

I just got my order from this sale and all of the BRs are shrinkwrapped except for Almost Famous-- has anyone gotten this one? Was it shrinkwrapped? (I know for a long time a lot of stuff from the UK never came shrinkwrapped but every BR I've ordered before has been)

I see at the final page that some of the titles are cheaper..ie from 8.98 to 7.81, is this beacuse of the VAT? But this is only for some of the titles. How come all of the titles don't reflect this decrease?

I think I figured out why. Amazon UK either ships from "Amazon UK" or "Amazon's Jersey Merchant, Indigostarfish.com.". Those titles that ship from Inidostarfish.com aren't reduced in price at final page, presumably because they ship from New Jersey.

Yep, it's the weird "indigostarfish" thing (which is not New Jersey-- I guess you could call it Old Jersey, though ;) ) -- I don't quite get how that works as they act like it's an entirely separate entity but everything will come in the same package from the UK... it's more like the "fulfilled by Amazon" things we see here but the wording really wants to imply they're someone different.

[quote name='GizmoGC']You mean offer up titles that won't work in Region A players? Yeah, good idea.[/QUOTE]

This made me laugh! :lol:

[quote name='Justin42']Yep, it's the weird "indigostarfish" thing (which is not New Jersey-- I guess you could call it Old Jersey, though ;) ) -- I don't quite get how that works as they act like it's an entirely separate entity but everything will come in the same package from the UK... it's more like the "fulfilled by Amazon" things we see here but the wording really wants to imply they're someone different.[/quote]

Ya, weird I guess they are in Jersey, small island between UK and Europe. Technically I guess they aren't a part of UK but are a Crown dependency of UK. So I guess that is why they don't have VAT I would assume.

[quote name='Justin42']Yeah, that's what I meant. Shipping is just high enough that if you had 6 movies you wanted, at $30, $30, $27, $15, $10, and $10, that you save NO money putting through one order of the higher priced 3 and another of the lower priced 3, because of shipping costs eating the savings.[/quote]

Actually in this circumstance and most circumstances where your discs are varying in price you would benefit by placing 2 separate orders.

Base shipping cost for UK to US is 2.09 pounds per order + 0.99 pounds per disc. Thus by placing 2 separate orders you would only be charged an extra 2.09 pounds($3.09) while you would be saving $17 (saving $37 versus saving $20). You save almost $14 by placing 2 orders in this example.

Finally got a complete first shipment.
I ordered:
Starship Troopers (arrived seperately)
Tekkon Kinkreet
Almost Famous

At the time I ordered, the average price came out to be 12 bucks each (shipped). That's crazy...considering what these bastards retail for (and there being a crazy lack of sales these days).

I haven't played anything yet, but I'm pretty stoked about it.
My second order included My Best Friends Wedding....um, for the wife;)....and that flick doesn't even come up of the master list of the 3 for 2 deal. Makes me really want to search the site more....but, I'll ease off for now.

I also just got my first shipment from this deal and a couple of points here...

1. UK Blu ray boxes are noticeably wider than US ones by about 20%. Not a big deal to many but they will take up more space because of it.

2. Out of the 6 movies I received, 3 movies came without any sort of cellophane packing. All 3 of the unwrapped ones had some minor wear on the boxes. Also one disc that had a slight oil film on its surface and came without any insert. I will definitely emailing amazon.uk about this.

3. I only tested a couple movies so far but both disc's extras seemed to work fine. I know there was some discussion about this on UK discs.

Has anyone else gotten movies that had no wrapping on them???

I'm interested in buying some of these, but I have a question. Under the format listing, a lot of these say PAL, but what exactly does that mean? There's no region encoding listed (look at Tekkonkinkreet for example), so would that play in a US PS3?

It really depends. I have heard issues with some BR players in the US with PAL-encoded standard def extras. True HD video isn't PAL or NTSC, so it shouldn't matter, as long as the disc is region free. You might need to just order a few and make sure they work. (I have a UK BR that won't start at all in my PS3 but works fine on an LG BH200 and on a computer BR player, I am thinking the very first studio intro is a PAL MPEG2 encode which is causing the PS3 to choke but haven't gotten around to figuring it out)

Honestly, for 99% of the listings, they're just recycling the DVD's specs-- you have to look stuff up on your own to be sure (especially for region-- seems like most stores just put Region 2 for everything, even though "2" isn't a BR region code, it's DVD).

Just got shipment #2.

Close Encounters
My Best Friends Wedding
21 (with weird half slipcover thing)

All 6 of mine have arrived shrinkwrapped and in excellent condition.
Sorry to hear about some of you getting opened stuff.

Order number 2 came to 34.17 total...that's 11.39 per disc. Not too shabby.

[quote name='Squall835']I'm interested in buying some of these, but I have a question. Under the format listing, a lot of these say PAL, but what exactly does that mean? There's no region encoding listed (look at Tekkonkinkreet for example), so would that play in a US PS3?[/quote]

I'm not really sure why they bother putting PAL other than they probably just sub in the info from the DVD. Like someone said prior, HD content is theoretically standard, although there still are issues. Some UK Blus have PAL menus and/or trailers that futz things up and a small number playback at 50hz instead of 60hz which most US BD players can't cope with. Anyway, ignore where it says PAL for Blus and just look it up on this site which will tell you if it's region free or not. Also, you might want to check Blu-Ray.com's reviews as they will usually tell you if a movie is region free or locked and if the extras are PAL or not.

[quote name='fronk777']I also just got my first shipment from this deal and a couple of points here...

1. UK Blu ray boxes are noticeably wider than US ones by about 20%. Not a big deal to many but they will take up more space because of it.

2. Out of the 6 movies I received, 3 movies came without any sort of cellophane packing. All 3 of the unwrapped ones had some minor wear on the boxes. Also one disc that had a slight oil film on its surface and came without any insert. I will definitely emailing amazon.uk about this.

3. I only tested a couple movies so far but both disc's extras seemed to work fine. I know there was some discussion about this on UK discs.

Has anyone else gotten movies that had no wrapping on them???[/quote]

I've ordered multiple times from Amazon UK before and never got an unwrapped movie or any problem with a movie period.

Debating whether to pick up Paprika, Tekkonkinkreet, and Bee Movie. I just wish the exchange was in euros than in pounds.

bread's done
Back