Amazon: Vanquish $39.99(PS3)

The CAG in me says "you can find a better price", but the businessman in me says "buy it right now so we will get a Vanquish 2"

I'll just say that you should really check this game out if you haven't played it yet, I think it is probably one of the best games of the year and at the very least the most underappreciated... highly polished, decent level of replayability, unique missions, enemies and setpieces, it's not just 5 hours of cover-shooting against drones, there's lots of variation here. Probably the only bad thing is the story, and the voice acting is kinda weak too (is it odd that Steve Blum does voice work for the game, but the main character who... just happens to sound alot like Steve Blum, is voiced by someone else?)

Gamestop has it at that price to. Might be a new price drop. Hasn't been on any of the latest black friday/holiday season deals.

It's an awesome game. If you wanna support the devs, and you like to play for achievements, then get it at this price or around $30...but by January this game will be $20 or so, I think it sold pretty bad.

[quote name='Ilikecoldbeverages'] it's not just 5 hours of cover-shooting against drones, there's lots of variation here. [/QUOTE]
That's almost exactly what it felt like to me. We had a couple of good bosses that got repeated like 3 times each but other than that, that was pretty much exactly how the game played out.

[quote name='Nohbdy']Don't forget the lack of multiplayer.[/QUOTE]

multiplayer ? go buy gears of war. i like my sega games with no multiplayer.

[quote name='maxim2boobles']i like my sega games with no multiplayer.[/QUOTE]

Poor you, you probably wouldn't like the Sonic 2-style races in Sonic Colors DS then.

[quote name='RollingSkull']That's almost exactly what it felt like to me. We had a couple of good bosses that got repeated like 3 times each but other than that, that was pretty much exactly how the game played out.[/QUOTE]

It depends; did you bother using the boost function at all to slide across the floor, roll in and aim at the enemy's face with style? Or jump out of cover, aim in mid-air to activate slow-mo, and put a shotgun to its face to that last pesky drone? Or did you slide across the floor, kick-flip a large enemy, aim in mid-air to activate slow-mo, and put a shotgun to its face?

There's variations, though rather novelty variations; you just got to get out of cover and do something creative, fun, and efficient if it does feel like cover-shooter drone fest and only get back to cover when things getting really bad. ;)

[quote name='Nohbdy']Don't forget the lack of multiplayer.[/QUOTE]

See, this is why we can't have good games (ie. Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood; sure, it's unique and all but it'll just eventually die down at some point and really, they could have made it decent priced DLC; but I guess they need the money to make up the cost of making Brotherhood instead of, say, just screw Brotherhood and just actually forward and improve the story and gameplay to AC3.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Loved the demo, but too much backlog to pay more than $30 for. Would pay $40 after Christmas if gift cards were involved.

[quote name='RollingSkull']That's almost exactly what it felt like to me. We had a couple of good bosses that got repeated like 3 times each but other than that, that was pretty much exactly how the game played out.[/QUOTE]

Sounds like you were trying to play lost planet 2 or gears of war, and not vanquish.

Amazing game, I love platinum games, I loved this game. Price seems...meh, as I thought it had better deals and price drops last month, of course a lot of games were lower around black friday.

even though I loved the demo, I'm gonna wait til the magic $19.99 price, it probably won't take too long the way the game is selling.

the mission modes after playing through story mode is hard like ninja gaiden. love it. tired of the duck and cover turtle speed shooters. *caugh* gears of war, halo, cod.

[quote name='FireWarrior']Oh please like every game needs freaking multiplayer. :roll:[/QUOTE]

Sorry if I'm asking for my money's worth. I just think the game is suited for multiplayer.

[quote name='Nohbdy']Sorry if I'm asking for my money's worth. I just think the game is suited for multiplayer.[/QUOTE]

Co-op would be nice, aside from that I don't think the game needs it.

[quote name='Soma_Cruz']Co-op would be nice, aside from that I don't think the game needs it.[/QUOTE]

The game is fine even without co-op or multiplayer. Besides, it may in fact cause gameplay to suffer.

[quote name='samuraixyz']It depends; did you bother using the boost function at all to slide across the floor, roll in and aim at the enemy's face with style? Or jump out of cover, aim in mid-air to activate slow-mo, and put a shotgun to its face to that last pesky drone? Or did you slide across the floor, kick-flip a large enemy, aim in mid-air to activate slow-mo, and put a shotgun to its face?

There's variations, though rather novelty variations; you just got to get out of cover and do something creative, fun, and efficient if it does feel like cover-shooter drone fest and only get back to cover when things getting really bad. ;)[/QUOTE]

The novelty is cute for the first two times, but the OMG SO EPIC IM SLIDING AND SHOOTING factor wears off real fast. You also don't get crap for bullet time on Hard or Insane, so you can't slide and aim worth crap. Plus, if you try to slide in with "style" at all in the second half of the game, you'll just get cut to ribbons the second you stick your head out, or you'll burn out your suit so when the inevitable critical hits, you'll be dead in the water with just a split second of slow-mo and then 10 seconds before you're anything close to combat effective again. It's a cover shooter.

I never kick-flipped a large enemy because melee burns out your suit, and it's just as effective to just get up close and shotgun the asshole without risking the game's somewhat spastic enemy melee insta-kills.

The game simply just does not have the depth or the substance they think it does. Too much flash, not enough meat.

Like I said, not bad. Just get it at $20 and you'll have a good run with it.

[quote name='SolidMGSnake']http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EkV8x2rYEqI

For me Vanquish is just an addicting fun challenge. Dont need multi or a great story. Just play the crap out of it. This video shows one of the hardest challenges in the game. I love it![/QUOTE]

Oh man. Just infinite DASH START THEN ROLL DASH START THEN ROLL DASH START THEN ROLL DASH START THEN ROLL DASH START THEN ROLL DASH START THEN ROLL DASH START THEN ROLL DASH START THEN ROLL.

Everyone knows the best and the deepest games require you to mash buttons quickly to eke out the best speed at high levels!

The game simply just does not have the depth or the substance they think it does. .
Pssh... those suckers.

[quote name='RollingSkull']The novelty is cute for the first two times, but the OMG SO EPIC IM SLIDING AND SHOOTING factor wears off real fast. You also don't get crap for bullet time on Hard or Insane, so you can't slide and aim worth crap. Plus, if you try to slide in with "style" at all in the second half of the game, you'll just get cut to ribbons the second you stick your head out, or you'll burn out your suit so when the inevitable critical hits, you'll be dead in the water with just a split second of slow-mo and then 10 seconds before you're anything close to combat effective again. It's a cover shooter.

I never kick-flipped a large enemy because melee burns out your suit, and it's just as effective to just get up close and shotgun the asshole without risking the game's somewhat spastic enemy melee insta-kills.[/quote]
You call it a novelty, I call it a necessity. I don't think anyone disagrees that it's a cover shooter, but it has more elements to it than pop-and-shoot... I don't see how it'd be possible to get very far in the game just by chilling behind a wall during each battle. Outside of the drones, there's not really many enemy types that you can just pick at from behind cover, either because they're making their way over to YOU to melee you, or because they're heavy tank-types that require flanking. Also, I had my shotty maxed out, and I still found it more effective to boost kick the bigger enemies, so I don't really get what you're saying there.

Anyways we can bicker about this, but it'd probably be less thread-derailing for folks just to check out the demo for themselves and see if they like it or not.

[quote name='Ilikecoldbeverages']You call it a novelty, I call it a necessity. I don't think anyone disagrees that it's a cover shooter, but it has more elements to it than pop-and-shoot... I don't see how it'd be possible to get very far in the game just by chilling behind a wall during each battle. Outside of the drones, there's not really many enemy types that you can just pick at from behind cover, either because they're making their way over to YOU to melee you, or because they're heavy tank-types that require flanking. Also, I had my shotty maxed out, and I still found it more effective to boost kick the bigger enemies, so I don't really get what you're saying there.

Anyways we can bicker about this, but it'd probably be less thread-derailing for folks just to check out the demo for themselves and see if they like it or not.[/QUOTE]

Well, it wasn't really full stop hide from one cover for the whole combat, but NO cover shooter has been like that. In Vanquish, you definitely are moving, rolling back, etc, but you are also constantly putting the brakes on that to recharge, and in the last half of the game you are definitely getting shot to pieces the second you try anything cute outside of cover.

And shotty stunlocks the big enemies indefinitely. Unless there's some sort of kick off them you can do that doesn't burn out your boost for doing the melee, I didn't see what was effective or not. It's usually better to roll behind them anyway to nail their weak spots except when there aren't any fodder allies around to distract them.

THIS IS THE INTERNETS I LOVE ARGUING.

Bought this game from Zavvi.co.uk on one of their Mega Mondays (17.95 GBP + 2.45 shipping to US ~ $32.10). Obviously, it had to be a :ps3: version. It might be back to 29.99 GBP now, but it seems to be featured on their weekly Mega Mondays often. Comes with a bonus lenticular slipcover too.

[quote name='samuraixyz'] See, this is why we can't have good games (ie. Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood; sure, it's unique and all but it'll just eventually die down at some point and really, they could have made it decent priced DLC; but I guess they need the money to make up the cost of making Brotherhood instead of, say, just screw Brotherhood and just actually forward and improve the story and gameplay to AC3.)[/QUOTE]

Um, have you played AC:B? It's pretty much as big as AC2. DLC this is not.

bread's done
Back