Amazon VOD streaming now free w/ Prime

[quote name='bigdaddy']Ummm... like what?[/QUOTE]

I love Netflix but a monopoly certainly isn't healthy.

They have been aggressively getting streaming support into every platform they can - mobile, game systems, dvd/bluray players, internet tv players, built into TV's, etc. They haven't kept it a secret that they'd love to ditch disc based subscriptions so they don't have to pay shipping fees. Obviously they would love to get enough subscribers to force studios into offering more and more in a streaming format, which will then keep the users reeled in despite price hikes.

So I guess what I am saying is, for as much as I love Netflix, there needs to be some other competitive services to keep Netflix as awesome as it is today at an affordable price.

[quote name='dmaul1114']Yeah, only issue I have with Netflix is a keep getting very long waits on new releases on blu ray. That combined with the 28 day wait to rent from some studios means 6+ weeks to get a new release sometimes.

But I don't mind much as if it was something I was dying to see I would have caught it in the theater. But that is one thing that irritates some people.[/QUOTE]

Why would people be irritated at the delays? I don't get it. Does anyone remember going into a blockbuster and trying to rent a new release? First off, they are all gone for weeks, second you get one night, third a new release costs a fortune there.

[quote name='typical guy']Why would people be irritated at the delays? I don't get it. Does anyone remember going into a blockbuster and trying to rent a new release? First off, they are all gone for weeks, second you get one night, third a new release costs a fortune there.[/QUOTE]

Well the problem is you used to easily get DVDs of new releases from Netflix very quickly (and probably still can, I mostly get blurays).

But with Blurays they don't order enough so it takes a while to get them most of the time.

People got spoiled by how much better netflix was for new releases than the local stores, so now they're irritated at delays for Blurays.

Which is worsened by the fact that you have to pay extra to rent blurays.

[quote name='dmaul1114']Well the problem is you used to easily get DVDs of new releases from Netflix very quickly (and probably still can, I mostly get blurays).

But with Blurays they don't order enough so it takes a while to get them most of the time.

People got spoiled by how much better netflix was for new releases than the local stores, so now they're irritated at delays for Blurays.

Which is worsened by the fact that you have to pay extra to rent blurays.[/QUOTE]

I get blus also and it does take a while but it doesn't. Really bug me because I have other stuff in the queue I want to see. That's just me though, I'm patient which is why I usually wait for games to be cheap.

Yep, like I said I'm the same. I don't mind as if I was dying to see it I would have saw it in the theater.

The delays on blu's only irk me slighlty because of having the extra fee for renting Blus. I do feel like if there's an added fee they should buy enough to satisfy initial demand. But still, minor nit pick and I still don't care that much.

prime is like a costco membership

not that great unless you're a very consistent customer

but awesome if you share it with someone else

[quote name='serge2k']For people that are knocking the price of PRIME, what are you people on! Even at the current price this is a steal. This is meant for people who use AMAZON a lot, if you are not one of these people than I can understand why you think the price is bad. This is more a perk to PRIME members than anything else. I for one, order something at least once or twice a month and a ton of stuff around Christmas. The money I save for shipping alone is worth the membership of PRIME. You literally are paying $6.60 a month for 2 day shipping on anything (Release day delivery on games) and now they throw in the streaming service. I hope XBOX or PS3 picks this up so we can be able to watch it through either those consoles.[/QUOTE]

Whoa, you shouldn't have prime if that's all you order. You're better off following baby gonzo's advice.

[quote name='Ed_']Whoa, you shouldn't have prime if that's all you order. You're better off following baby gonzo's advice.[/QUOTE]

I resemble that!

[quote name='captaintek3304']The Amazon service is extremely limited, and as far as I can see, it's 95% foreign/British/movies and shows older than 20 years.[/QUOTE]

What's funny is that that's just about all I watch anyway.

[quote name='ssjmichael']If you only order stuff once or twice a month, I have to question how much you're really saving with Prime. That's especially the case if any of those things you order are more than $25

From the sound of it, I probably order more stuff than you in a year but I'm willing to wait till I have $25 worth of stuff most of the time, and when I have to buy something right away (like a dotd) there's usually other things I need to buy anyway. I can't really think of many times besides around black friday where I truly missed having prime. I haven't had to pay a dime for shipping and I got almost everything I've wanted from Amazon. In a sense, not having prime has helped me save money. There are certain deals that are super cheap but I didn't really "need" them. With prime I would have likely bought them.[/QUOTE]

I understand what you are saying because before I got prime I did what you did but you cannot compare super saver shipping with primes 2 day shipping. You are not guaranteed 2 day shipping with super saver. Although I remember shipping times were great most of the time for super saver as some orders got here before 5 days but never guaranteed 2 days. With prime you also get free release date delivery on what I believe are the big game releases.

I definitely know I save money if I compare it to the service I am getting, which is 2 day shipping. If I had ordered every single item last year with 2 day shipping it would definitely come out to more than $80.

I don't have to worry that my items don't add up to $25 and then I have to look for something I probably wont need to get the free shipping. I don't have to wait a week for an item, i know it will be here in 2 business days. Also while I said I order once or twice a month there are times where I order more than 2 things and like I mentioned before during Christmas/black Friday time I order a ton of things, which you yourself admit you would not mind having PRIME during black Friday time. To be honest I would pay half the amount of PRIME right now for those 3 months alone (October-Dec) Since I do most of my shopping during the holidays. I am able to buy items days before Christmas day while you have to plan out what to buy a week ahead and might miss out on some last minute deals if you really want something at the last minute.

Also don't assume because people have prime they go purchase happy and buy everything under the moon. I like to think I'm a smart buyer and don't buy things that I don't need, that's reserved for people who setup the 1-click buying option..lol

YES part of it is convenience that your paying for, but if you use it a lot like i do your saving for the service you are getting. I forgot to mention that I was paying for PRIME and since i am a grad student I get it for free, but once that is up I will start paying for it again.

[quote name='Ed_']Whoa, you shouldn't have prime if that's all you order. You're better off following baby gonzo's advice.[/QUOTE]

I've ordered 57 things in 2010. 25 of those things were around black friday/holiday time. I think that's plenty of items to justify PRIME being worth it.

I really like how i can choose to watch the girl with the dragon tattoo in english or sweedish. a feature i really wish netflix supported.

I have always thought prime was cheap but this makes it better. I am currently on a guest/student account but I am seriously thinking about paying the $79 when I get my paycheck. I am a TV junkie so this will definitely be worth it for me, especially when they add an Xbox and iPhone app.

How does the Amazon streaming service work?

I know I'm in the minority here, but the first company that can come up with a quazi streaming service will get my business. $8 a month for Netflix, approximately $6.70 for Amazon streaming? Price isn't too bad. But I only have 1 mbps. Which means that when I had Netflix I had the joy of watching 480i stretched on a 50" 1080p plasma. Not only that but I occasionally got to wait 5 min or so in the middle of the movie while the player buffered. I need something like on PSN where I can download a movie and watch it within a 24 hr period so I can get HD video and not have to deal with crappy buffering. Obviously I don't like the cost (2.99-4.99) a rental on PSN or the selection as much to consider it something I could only use. I live in the country so this is the best internet speed I have and probably will be for quite a while. But I don't know why Neflix or Amazon.com can't have a service like this, a good portion of the country doesn't have 20 mbps or whatever the cable providers give.

intteresting rumor read on another board (cant find board now)

amazon to drop prime to 59.99 without the movies or 79.99 with... doubtful cause im sure more people will use shippin then the streaming

Not really impressed with the video quality from a sample of Let the Right One In and Ken Burn's: The War. My connection can certainly support the 720p they're boasting, but everything looks SD even on my 24". If they start supporting more devices or even let me stream via WMP then I might use it more, but I may pass on Prime next time it's up for renewal since I'm ordering less now.

[quote name='Jodou']Not really impressed with the video quality from a sample of Let the Right One In and Ken Burn's: The War. My connection can certainly support the 720p they're boasting, but everything looks SD even on my 24". If they start supporting more devices or even let me stream via WMP then I might use it more, but I may pass on Prime next time it's up for renewal since I'm ordering less now.[/QUOTE]

I'm pretty sure that's because the streams are in SD. I know you usually have to pay extra for an HD rental. They also offer HD feeds but only for certain TV setups (Roku, Google TV, Tivo, etc..)

[quote name='ssjmichael']I'm pretty sure that's because the streams are in SD. I know you usually have to pay extra for an HD rental. They also offer HD feeds but only for certain TV setups (Roku, Google TV, Tivo, etc..)[/QUOTE]
Yeah, they're going to have to do much better if they expect to compete.

Oh BTW, add shared accounts to the list of unable to use. I extended my Prime benefits to my brother a while ago, but he's unable to stream for free. Makes sense given PSN shared account abuse.

I have been using amazon prime since late April of last year. The service is unbelievable good, I have bought a TV that was delivered to my door (I even scheduled the delivery), countless other items ranging from movies to games to candy to socks and it's just fucking awesome having it all delivered at your door 2 days later (or the day after if you pay the $3.99 overnight shipping)

Not to mention release date delivery on things like movies games, books and whatnot at no extra cost.

Now I get a free upgrade where I can watch all these dang shows for the same price.

This is fucking awesome considering I canceled my netflix account last month.

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

selection is OK for their debut right now, but no HD streaming puts it way behind netflix IMO. I mean, I can't complain cause I'm already a prime subscriber (the primary which i share with my family :) ) but they need to step it up if they want to seriously compete with netflix.

Expecting this service to be as robust as Netflix from day one is ridiculous, even for Amazon. I know we all expected more but I am sure it will get there by the summer. It seems Amazon will have a lot of stuff sooner than Netflix so that is great. I think this will hurt Hulu a lot! I have been waiting for Hulu which is more expensive and has ads... I can't even watch the free version because the adds suck and no matter how many time I click the this ad does not apply to me button it doesn't learn anything.

There is some HD stuff that definitely was in HD watching last night through a Panasonic plasma TV with VieraCast... look for the blue "HD" logo on the icon (at least that's how it looked to me).

The selection is interesting, at best, but it's a great "free" addition if you're already paying for Prime. I do hope they add more titles soon and on a regular basis...

[quote name='Justin42']There is some HD stuff that definitely was in HD watching last night through a Panasonic plasma TV with VieraCast... look for the blue "HD" logo on the icon (at least that's how it looked to me).

The selection is interesting, at best, but it's a great "free" addition if you're already paying for Prime. I do hope they add more titles soon and on a regular basis...[/QUOTE]

Its a great free addition but it has a long way to go to compete with netflix which is what I'm sure is the final goal for this service.

[quote name='jonlubbe']I really like how i can choose to watch the girl with the dragon tattoo in english or sweedish. a feature i really wish netflix supported.[/QUOTE]

I agree that multiple audio tracks would be a great feature in netflix... I would rather listen to the original language track with subtitles 100% of the time.

btw The dragon tattoo trilogy is the swedish version on netflix.

[quote name='KillerRamen']You guys might also want to check your promotional balances for Amazon's VOD. Somehow I managed to rack up $25 in movie credits and I got another $5 when I registered my Panasonic TV. [/QUOTE]

Where exactly do you go to check promotional balances VOD credit? I can only see my VOD orders, but nothing about how much credit I have... Thanks

Dang, I can't remember where it is. I know there's some where hyou can see VOD credit, game credits from preorders etc. But I can't find the right link in the my account section at the moment either.

Just pick any video and underneath the player there's a link that says "view balance"

edit:

balancej.jpg

I found the place where you can see all your promotional balances

Go to MP3 store, click any album. In the top right under the purchasing button there's a link that says: Redeem a gift card or promotion code & view balance.

Click that and it pops up a box that shows your credit balances for your gift card, MP3 store, Kindle store, VOD and Software/Video Game downloads.

Holy crap!! I have $27.02 balance for video on demand and $20 for mp3.. lol I know I've gotten like 5 bucks credit when i purchased some items back like 4 months ago because they sent me the email stating i had received vod credit and I actually rented 2 movies, but I guess my recent purchases made me rack up some more credit. Nice!

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='serge2k']Holy crap!! I have $27.02 balance for video on demand and $20 for mp3.. lol I know I've gotten like 5 bucks credit when i purchased some items back like 4 months ago because they sent me the email stating i had received vod credit and I actually rented 2 movies, but I guess my recent purchases made me rack up some more credit. Nice![/QUOTE]

actually amazon credits they give for video game purchases will appear in video game, vod, and mp3.

and I'm betting you have $20 since they will show on mp3 and vod.... just don't waste them thinking you have credit that you really don't.

[quote name='Afflicted']actually amazon credits they give for video game purchases will appear in video game, vod, and mp3.

and I'm betting you have $20 since they will show on mp3 and vod.... just don't waste them thinking you have credit that you really don't.[/QUOTE]

Thanks fort he headsup.. i would have found that out the hard way!

lol @ the ppl sad that they don't get this for their freebie accounts. Greedy... I have been paying for prime since it came out. It's a great feature that I intend to keep buying. I have a Roku too so this is an awesome deal. I haven't actually tried it out yet, so I'm not 100% sure it works on my Roku, but we'll see.

I'm just hoping it has newer movies than Netflix. Otherwise I doubt I'll ever use it.

[quote name='Darknuke']I'm just hoping it has newer movies than Netflix. Otherwise I doubt I'll ever use it.[/QUOTE]

No matter when something came out, if you haven't seen it it's new to you right?

[quote name='porieux']No matter when something came out, if you haven't seen it it's new to you right?[/QUOTE]

true, but I'm a bit of a movie fanatic. I've pretty much seen all the older movies that are worth seeing lol. What I haven't seen, I can watch on Netflix.

Already a paying customer for the shipping because i order alot from them, i wouldn't pay extra for this service, i mean.. it's alright the selection is pretty shitty compared to netflix and even hulu.

if they step it up and add more content, better content and make it it's own service it could most defiantly compete with netflix streaming, i think this is just a test run but i doubt i will ever use it, the TV selection is the worst i have seen and all the movies that i care about are on my netflix stream queue.

bread's done
Back