Amazon's latest FUNimation Sale

Why does it matter if it's a combo pack? I think that's the only way you can get it on Blu-ray. Is it so bad to get a few more discs with it? lol

[quote name='Zaku77']Why does it matter if it's a combo pack? I think that's the only way you can get it on Blu-ray. Is it so bad to get a few more discs with it? lol[/QUOTE]It is a waste of discs and disc space. I don't want to pay for stuff that I won't use. Anyone know if the DTB set has separate cases for the BRs and the DVDs?

Most people just sell off their DVD version, and this is what you will have to do since Funimation rarely make Blu only releases for anime nowadays, and for Darker than Black there is no Blu only release as long as Funimation has the license for it, which will be true for the majority, and if not all their releases. There are different versions of the blu/dvd combo but that is only a difference in the collector's box or just the regular slipcover. There might be a rare instance where it'll be Blu only, but I haven't seen a Blu only release for shows since last years, so yeah...

Should have been clearer. Does the current DTB have separate cases in one box for the two formats, or are they packaged together in one giant bloated box?

[quote name='DNukem170']Should have been clearer. Does the current DTB have separate cases in one box for the two formats, or are they packaged together in one giant bloated box?[/QUOTE]

It's usually split between two boxes, one for the blus and one for the DVDs, but sometimes it's also tricky because they will have one box for both disc 1 of the blu and DVD, and another box for the blu and DVD for disc 2. It's really strange how they package them, so it'll be just what you get from each one since each package comes differently like that.

But yeah, sorry I didn't get what you were saying before, but hopefully this is more relevant to your question.

*edit*
Also after re-reading I guess I still wasn't as clear as I wanted to be. There will not always be a case for blus only or DVD only, but there will be two separate cases unless it's an OVA which generally just comes in one single case with both DVD and blu inside.

Each series will be different in packaging the two separate cases, whether it will be the ones with DVD and blu separately, or the ones that has a box for the disc 1s and disc 2s of the DVDs and blus.

It will be dependent on the series how your cases will be split up if they are split up..

Hope this is more clear, lol.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='ProtoEXE88']
And there's pictures right on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Darker-Than-B...=1351047651&sr=1-2&keywords=darker+than+black[/QUOTE]

Ah. Can't see them on mobile.

Looks like it is a standard size 5-disc case. Well, I have a ton of empty 2 and 3-disc cases and could always use another 5-disc case...

I guess I could combine it with Season 1 in one 6 disc case (Assuming 2 Blu and 3 DVD), but I am getting tired on buying 6-disc cases. If only they made 3-disc thinpak cases.

Question: I've heard that S2 of DTB is worse compared to the first season, but is the first season good enough to own by itself or should one view both seasons to appreciate the whole story? In other words, should the second season be skipped?

[quote name='Vigilante']Question: I've heard that S2 of DTB is worse compared to the first season, but is the first season good enough to own by itself or should one view both seasons to appreciate the whole story? In other words, should the second season be skipped?[/QUOTE]

This is actually one of the very few animes I have actually watched. I was instantly turned off on how much more serious the second season became. I really really enjoyed the first season.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Vigilante']Question: I've heard that S2 of DTB is worse compared to the first season, but is the first season good enough to own by itself or should one view both seasons to appreciate the whole story? In other words, should the second season be skipped?[/QUOTE]
The second season isn't needed to enjoy the first season, in fact as far as I know the second season is completely filler (in this case an anime original story).

Ooh, that Texhnolyze complete box set is really tempting, as I never got around to picking the series up before and I'm a big fan of Yoshitoshi Abe's earlier work. I had a hard time getting into it when I tried to watch it back when it came out, though. Wonder if I'd like it more now...

[quote name='Dev518']Does anyone know if Darker Than Black Season 1 will ever be released on Blu?[/QUOTE]

Only time will tell on that.

It's been suggested before that it might be one of those releases that Funimation only has the DVD rights to. While the BR rights rests with another company, which in this case, it would be Aniplex.

Aniplex likes selling their own Blu-rays, so be prepared to pay lots of money. Though their Baccano set had some mighty nice packaging (with no ugly blue bar slapped on top to boot)

Never really cared for stuff that I could watch on Netflix unless it was something I really like....like TOKYO MOTHAFUGGIN MAJIN, GIMME DAT

Sigh nothing for me. I've heard good things about Darker Than Black but typically try to stay away from DVD only releases. Amazon deals for anime is sort of lackluster compared to RightStuf when they do their sales w/ membership discounts.

bread's done
Back