AMD or Intel?

I've always known that Intel processors are more useful for desktops, and that dual core is better for gaming. I would go with an Intel Dual Core for my gaming purposes.

depends how much youve got to spend.... amd is a much better budget option espeically their 939 chips are getting real cheap

[quote name='D4rkN1ght']depends how much youve got to spend.... amd is a much better budget option espeically their 939 chips are getting real cheap[/QUOTE]

Actually, I think 939 are getting the cold shoulder. The price cuts on the 24th will not include any 939 processors because retailers had to buy those at full price.

And Intel is coming with a E4x00 for the budget end, which goes head to head with a 3800+.

[quote name='Oktoberfest']Intel, since Core 2 Duo is coming out in a couple weeks (gonna get me an E6600)[/quote]I dont have the cash for one at launch, but I'm going to get me one of those too.
Then I throw a water cooling system on it and overclock the shit out of it:D

I can't wait.

[quote name='Vinny']Actually, I think 939 are getting the cold shoulder. The price cuts on the 24th will not include any 939 processors because retailers had to buy those at full price.

And Intel is coming with a E4x00 for the budget end, which goes head to head with a 3800+.[/quote]

??? The price cuts will include the 939s, just not the FX series. The E4200 doesn't justify the cost of the conroe motherboard. The E6600 will the be best value vs performance duo core 2. If you wanna go cheap and dont care about dual core processors (they don't make a difference in games and sometimes degrade performance as games arent written to take advantage of the second core), id go with the athlon 64 3800+. You will be able to find it at ~$120...which is insane as thats what the 3000+ cost 3 months ago. Of course the x2 3800+ will cost just about 10 dollars more...so that would be a good option too.

I'm 99% sure I read that 939s will not receiver the price cut because retailers already have those processors and they paid AMD the full invoice price for them. But with AM2, retailers will receive the benefit of lower invoice prices because those are the chips AMD is focusing on now.

And I only getting a E6300, those price mark-ups are total BS but I want to get this computer done with. It's been delay after delay since I started this (it was supposed to start and end during spring break).

The 939's are definately getting price cuts next week. Some places have cut prices in trying to get people to buy them before the cuts go into effect, but cuts are coming.

[quote name='SOSTrooper']It's all about Cyrix.[/quote]

:rofl:

I have an AMD 4800+ Dual Core...Nothing beats it!! I've built machine from the Pentium 90 to AMD 4800+, and in my experience, AMD is the way to go. More bang for less buck.

Personally AMD Opteron is the way to go for gaming. Intel has been debuting so much futuristic crap recently so I don't really know anything about them.

A couple years back a University has been working on a new Chip that can do 1000GHz a second. You should look into it.

Also Silicon Graphics computers have been promising.

Wait for the Conroe, in the benchmarks the conroe beats the AMD FX series.

I have an Athlon 64 3200+, it has been a great processor and when I bought it, AMD was better for gaming, but with the Conroe it looks like Intel is back on top. I will probably upgrade my current AMD to and Athlon 64 X2 when the price cuts occur, assuming 939 is included.

Look at the benchmarks for the conroe, the E6600 beats out the FX-62 in most games.
http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2795

bread's done
Back