American Idol, Season 8 (Tuesdays and Wednesdays on FOX at 8 p.m.)

Chase

CAGiversary!
Feedback
8 (100%)
Um. I searched for a thread, but didn't find anything in this board. So, are there any other viewers in the CAGland?

I liked Michael Johns performance, 3M. Some people think he's arrogant, and it does look like it when he sings, but I think that's just how his face moves when he sings. Haha...

David Cook. I started out not wanting to like him, but, damn, he's one of my present favorites.
icon_redface.gif

And Kristy really needs to go. Ugh. :bomb:

Last edited by a moderator:
I was tellin' this one $$$$a the other day, why do you always gotsta be eating my pop tarts?

That $$$$a is all, "I GOTSTA DO WHAT I GOTSTA DO"

I'm not home Tuesdays, so I use YouTube to catch the performances at work the next day. That works better than watching the official site videos, because Fox doesn't show the judges' remarks. But you gotta hustle because the YouTube ones usually get shut down within a couple of days!

I haven't been into Michael Johns and his Australian accent makes me not trust him, but I gotta say he was reeeeally good this week. Quite a comeback after the overrated Queen performance and the TERRIBLE "A Day In The Life."

Archuleta still seems to run away with it every time but David Cook has been creeping up and making everyone remember him. They're pretty much both guaranteed successes at this point.

Heh, I used to only watch the bad auditions. Then I stuck around for the good auditions and didn't want to admit it. Now I'm just like "fuck it" and I follow the whole thing with no shame. :D

Did they kick off all the non-Caucasian/African American minorities yet?

Does Paula Abdul still look like she got hit in the face with a brick?

Is Simon still pathetically trying to pretend he has any credibility, even though it's obvious the American public can't recognize talent and instead votes purely via favoritism?

I'm sure the answer is yes, or will be eventually.

[quote name='Dead of Knight']Did that girl who looks like Ursula from The Little Mermaid get booted yet?[/quote]

198802670_l.jpg

Her? Yep. Randy did an Uncle Phil throw on her a few weeks ago.

[quote name='BustaUppa']I'm not home Tuesdays, so I use YouTube to catch the performances at work the next day. That works better than watching the official site videos, because Fox doesn't show the judges' remarks. But you gotta hustle because the YouTube ones usually get shut down within a couple of days!

I haven't been into Michael Johns and his Australian accent makes me not trust him, but I gotta say he was reeeeally good this week. Quite a comeback after the overrated Queen performance and the TERRIBLE "A Day In The Life."

Archuleta still seems to run away with it every time but David Cook has been creeping up and making everyone remember him. They're pretty much both guaranteed successes at this point.

Heh, I used to only watch the bad auditions. Then I stuck around for the good auditions and didn't want to admit it. Now I'm just like "fuck it" and I follow the whole thing with no shame. :D[/quote]

That's how it all began for me with Season 1. I tuned in to watch the terrible performances, which were probably less staged back then, and ended up an addict of the show. :oops:

[quote name='Strell']Did they kick off all the non-Caucasian/African American minorities yet?

Is Simon still pathetically trying to pretend he has any credibility, even though it's obvious the American public can't recognize talent and instead votes purely via favoritism?

I'm sure the answer is yes, or will be eventually.[/quote]

You do know that, out of seven seasons, three winners have been African American, right? ;) That, and a lot of the competitors in the later rounds have been of an ethnicity other than Caucasian, by the by. :hot:

I do agree, though, that voters in the U.S. seemingly vote for personalities and not talent (see: this season with Kristy Lee Cook).

This is the first season I've watched in earnest, and like many others, I originally started just to watch the bad performances. Totally hooked now, of course.

Anyways, my favorites are Cook and Archuleta, but I have a soft spot in my heart for Brooke White too. Most of the finalists are really talented this year, which is nice. Kristy Lee Cook's gotta go, though, especially after that poor-sport crap she pulled last night.

i thought this was a topic on fergie. but nah i quit watching american idol after season 2. the show is on too much and too soon and they never have any idos anymore worth caring about. and it seems like now the winner is kind of the loser these days with cancelled contracts and poor album sales. its beter just to go on there get noticed and then lose. not to mention ryan seacrest , randy jackson and paula abdul are anoying phony catchphrase spewing twats.

[quote name='chasemurata']That, and a lot of the competitors in the later rounds have been of an ethnicity other than Caucasian, by the by. :hot:
[/QUOTE]

I'm just saying - give the American public some time. They sure do like to kick off the black sistahs that can belt out vocals in favor of saggy old fat men who go on to do Ford commercials.

[quote name='Strell']
Does Paula Abdul still look like she got hit in the face with a brick?[/quote]

Well, sort of. But she's amazingly coherent this year. Unfortunately, even when she's got all her faculties, what she says is mostly content free. She's more amusing when she's incoherent.

[quote name='Strell']
Is Simon still pathetically trying to pretend he has any credibility, even though it's obvious the American public can't recognize talent and instead votes purely via favoritism?[/quote]

The interesting thing about this show is that there are so many variables that things are just not predictable. Virtually all the really interesting dynamics are still sub-rosa, so calling it a popularity contest isn't truly accurate.

Early on this season, David Archuleta was anointed the chosen one and favored to win, especially because he'd command the teen and pre-teen girl vote. And yet, he hasn't always come in first, and last night wasn't that far ahead of Michael Johns, who turned in an exceptionally good performance.

Personally, this week was the only week I really liked Michael Johns' performance and thought it notable -- and it appears that a lot of people agreed. So quality does matter. And last week, Archuleta's godawful song and lackluster performance cost him votes and first place. So popularity only goes so far.

It's the complex mix of quality and popularity, along with image, what the judges say, what they don't say, who gets kicked off the previous week, what the theme is, what they've done before (sometimes), and plenty of other variables that make it more than just a favoritism contest.

I never watched AI until this season (wife's influence) and I have to admit , I'm hooked.

Based purely on talent, David Cook and Carly Smithson are the best. I think Cook will eventually win it all. Michael Johns has started to win me over with his past 2 performances.

David Archuleta is good but really overrated. Brooke was my favorite early on but she's been regressing over the past few weeks while everyone has been getting stronger. Kristy, Syesha and Jason should be getting the boot over the next three weeks.

Um. I searched for a thread, but didn't find anything in this board. So, are there any other viewers in the CAGland?

I liked Michael Johns performance, 3M. Some people think he's arrogant, and it does look like it when he sings, but I think that's just how his face moves when he sings. Haha...

David Cook. I started out not wanting to like him, but, damn, he's one of my present favorites.
icon_redface.gif

And Kristy really needs to go. Ugh. :bomb:

Last edited by a moderator:
I was tellin' this one $$$$a the other day, why do you always gotsta be eating my pop tarts?

That $$$$a is all, "I GOTSTA DO WHAT I GOTSTA DO"

I'm not home Tuesdays, so I use YouTube to catch the performances at work the next day. That works better than watching the official site videos, because Fox doesn't show the judges' remarks. But you gotta hustle because the YouTube ones usually get shut down within a couple of days!

Heh, I used to only watch the bad auditions. Then I stuck around for the good auditions and didn't want to admit it. Now I'm just like "fuck it" and I follow the whole thing with no shame. :D

Did they kick off all the non-Caucasian/African American minorities yet?

I'm sure the answer is yes, or will be eventually.

[quote name='Dead of Knight']Did that girl who looks like Ursula from The Little Mermaid get booted yet?[/quote]

198802670_l.jpg

Her? Yep. Randy did an Uncle Phil throw on her a few weeks ago.

[quote name='BustaUppa']I'm not home Tuesdays, so I use YouTube to catch the performances at work the next day. That works better than watching the official site videos, because Fox doesn't show the judges' remarks. But you gotta hustle because the YouTube ones usually get shut down within a couple of days!

Heh, I used to only watch the bad auditions. Then I stuck around for the good auditions and didn't want to admit it. Now I'm just like "fuck it" and I follow the whole thing with no shame. :D[/quote]

That's how it all began for me with Season 1. I tuned in to watch the terrible performances, which were probably less staged back then, and ended up an addict of the show. :oops:

[quote name='Strell']Did they kick off all the non-Caucasian/African American minorities yet?

I'm sure the answer is yes, or will be eventually.[/quote]

You do know that, out of seven seasons, three winners have been African American, right? ;) That, and a lot of the competitors in the later rounds have been of an ethnicity other than Caucasian, by the by. :hot:

I do agree, though, that voters in the U.S. seemingly vote for personalities and not talent (see: this season with Kristy Lee Cook).

This is the first season I've watched in earnest, and like many others, I originally started just to watch the bad performances. Totally hooked now, of course.

Anyways, my favorites are Cook and Archuleta, but I have a soft spot in my heart for Brooke White too. Most of the finalists are really talented this year, which is nice. Kristy Lee Cook's gotta go, though, especially after that poor-sport crap she pulled last night.

i thought this was a topic on fergie. but nah i quit watching american idol after season 2. the show is on too much and too soon and they never have any idos anymore worth caring about. and it seems like now the winner is kind of the loser these days with cancelled contracts and poor album sales. its beter just to go on there get noticed and then lose. not to mention ryan seacrest , randy jackson and paula abdul are anoying phony catchphrase spewing twats.

[quote name='chasemurata']That, and a lot of the competitors in the later rounds have been of an ethnicity other than Caucasian, by the by. :hot:
[/QUOTE]

I'm just saying - give the American public some time. They sure do like to kick off the black sistahs that can belt out vocals in favor of saggy old fat men who go on to do Ford commercials.

[quote name='Strell']
Does Paula Abdul still look like she got hit in the face with a brick?[/quote]

Well, sort of. But she's amazingly coherent this year. Unfortunately, even when she's got all her faculties, what she says is mostly content free. She's more amusing when she's incoherent.

[quote name='Strell']
Is Simon still pathetically trying to pretend he has any credibility, even though it's obvious the American public can't recognize talent and instead votes purely via favoritism?[/quote]

The interesting thing about this show is that there are so many variables that things are just not predictable. Virtually all the really interesting dynamics are still sub-rosa, so calling it a popularity contest isn't truly accurate.

Early on this season, David Archuleta was anointed the chosen one and favored to win, especially because he'd command the teen and pre-teen girl vote. And yet, he hasn't always come in first, and last night wasn't that far ahead of Michael Johns, who turned in an exceptionally good performance.

Personally, this week was the only week I really liked Michael Johns' performance and thought it notable -- and it appears that a lot of people agreed. So quality does matter. And last week, Archuleta's godawful song and lackluster performance cost him votes and first place. So popularity only goes so far.

It's the complex mix of quality and popularity, along with image, what the judges say, what they don't say, who gets kicked off the previous week, what the theme is, what they've done before (sometimes), and plenty of other variables that make it more than just a favoritism contest.

I never watched AI until this season (wife's influence) and I have to admit , I'm hooked.

Based purely on talent, David Cook and Carly Smithson are the best. I think Cook will eventually win it all. Michael Johns has started to win me over with his past 2 performances.

David Archuleta is good but really overrated. Brooke was my favorite early on but she's been regressing over the past few weeks while everyone has been getting stronger. Kristy, Syesha and Jason should be getting the boot over the next three weeks.

the kid, australian dude, irish girl and rocker dude are going to be the final four.

it's pretty hard to call who will win it all though, like when chris daughtry got the boot couple season ago, and taylor hicks?? wtf

I've always liked American Idol, but the season has blown ass. They're all boring, no-personality, and crap singers. The only one who could hold their own is that Cook guy. Archuleta will win, mostly because the American Idol producers want this kid to win.

the kid, australian dude, irish girl and rocker dude are going to be the final four.

it's pretty hard to call who will win it all though, like when chris daughtry got the boot couple season ago, and taylor hicks?? wtf

I've always liked American Idol, but the season has blown ass. They're all boring, no-personality, and crap singers. The only one who could hold their own is that Cook guy. Archuleta will win, mostly because the American Idol producers want this kid to win.

[quote name='blandstalker']Personally, this week was the only week I really liked Michael Johns' performance and thought it notable -- and it appears that a lot of people agreed. So quality does matter. And last week, Archuleta's godawful song and lackluster performance cost him votes and first place. So popularity only goes so far.

It's the complex mix of quality and popularity, along with image, what the judges say, what they don't say, who gets kicked off the previous week, what the theme is, what they've done before (sometimes), and plenty of other variables that make it more than just a favoritism contest.[/QUOTE]Yeah I agree. For example I think Ramiele had a large fanbase that took her a lot further in the competition than her actual talent did. But she went weeks without having any real standout performance, and now she's gone. I thought she was cute as hell but I had to admit that America made the right call.

I can't stand boy wonder (David A.) I know he probably has the young girl vote locked up (and I bet they vote more than most anybody) so he's not going anywhere.

David Cook is my favorite and I also like dreadlocks. I didn't like Chikezie much going into the live performance rounds but then he grew on me. (He's gone now.)

I liked Ramiel because she dressed and acted goofy, but she wasnt' very good.

That country girl talking about how she knows she's going to be in the bottom three every week isn't doing her any favors. She comes across as a whiner or at least unconfident to me - if you don't think you are going to win why should I vote for you?

Oh yeah I also can't stand that skinny blonde the judges (usually) go wild over.

It's all about David Cook for me. Anyone who chooses to sing the Chris Cornell version of Billy Jean is a winner in my books and gets my votes.

[quote name='karsh']It's all about David Cook for me. Anyone who chooses to sing the Chris Cornell version of Billy Jean is a winner in my books and gets my votes.[/QUOTE]Haha that was cool. I hate how people tried to stir up some silly "ripoff" controversy over that. The judges did seem to be under the impression that it was Cook's own arrangement (fawning over how "creative" and "brave" the performance was), but the show straight-up announced it as "the Chris Cornell version of Billy Jean" every time. Either the judges weren't properly briefed or they weren't paying attention; either way it sure wasn't David's fault.

I will reluctantly admit to watching this show this season (first time). The stars aligned - I had the flu the first week it was on so I was just laying on the couch trying not to think or move and since the writer's strike was in full effect there was nothing else on. I kept watching out of curiosity every week and recording the show the day it was on until my wife (who doesn't watch and probably never will) was like "why don't you just set the DVR you pansy?" I watch every episode on the DVR now in about 20 minutes or less. I just need to hear each contestant and the judges remarks - all the extra stuff like past idol performances or Dolly I just skip. I don't like the kid at all and my favorites are Cook and White. Johns is growing on me since he seems to have picked it up the past 2 weeks.

Syesha, Jason Castro, or Brooke White in the bottom three, with Syesha going home. However, if there is a just deity in the clouds, Castro packs his bags and goes back to the hell from where he came. :bomb:

I'm going to have to disagree, and I really hate to say anything nice about him, but Jason Castro was the only one I really enjoyed last night. Out of all of them, I think he picked the best song for himself and he did it justice, which is more than I can say for any of the rest of them. Except perhaps David Archuleta, but he's finally grated on me so much that I want him taken down.

In general, I think Jason Castro is out of his league and I haven't been fond of any of his recent performances. But I was all prepared to hate last night's effort and I really, really liked it.

I think either Brooke or Syesha are going home, and Carly's probably in the bottom three, too. I hope it's Syesha.

Last night was pretty discouraging.

Brooke delivered more of the same, which is nice but is not Idol worthy. Her performance oozed desperation and it's hard to watch because she seems to be begging people to vote for her, even though she knows that it's not good enough.

Syesha has amazing talent and is completely clueless. How could she pick that song? Someone else who was not Fantasia did "I Believe" one year with the exact same outcome. Duh. I hope she gets voted out for sheer stupidity.

Carly is a massive disappointment. She's the new Katherine McPhee. I've lost my faith that she's got what it takes. What a misfire! She should have rocked that song, but it was cold. Failure to launch: the story of Carly.

Michael Johns has crossed back into annoying. I hate him more because I actually liked his performance last week. At least David Cook's impersonations of rock stars are a little more interesting.

David Cook -- what the hell happened?

Kristy Lee Cook -- why can't you just go? Why do you have to start taking the competition seriously, and deliver competent performances? Ugh! I don't know why anyone would vote for Carrie Underwood lite, but KLC is pulling out all the stops and I have to respect it, even though I hate it.

It depresses me that Ramielle, who had a much better voice than KLC will ever have, just rolled over and died on the show. KLC, unlike Ramielle, is trying hard to do everything she can to work it.

I now hate the majority of the contestants AND I can't hate Jason Castro anymore. What the fuck happened? I hate Idol Gives Back week.

With this post, I am officially handing in my man card, but here goes my take:

David Archuleta - Definitely a talented kid and has a chance of taking the whole thing. He will have a career when this is over for sure

David Cook - Another talented one. His lows sounded horrible last night and his performance was hokey with the contrived rock moves. He gets too much credit for having originality, but he has a good voice for John Mayer type songs.

Kristy Lee Cook - Wasn't a fan of her, but I think she's done much better the past two weeks. She's always going to straggle in the bottom ranks and I think the last thing we need is another country girl to win.

Jason Castro - I'm indifferent to his voice and style and HATE hearing him try to form sentences during interviews. He definitely did well last night and will hang in there for a while. Not sure he likes being in such a high profile position.

Michael Johns - The *only* time I liked him was when he sang that bluesy type song and had the band on stage around him. He has a unique voice and it sounds horrible singing other people's songs, but he isn't bad on his own. I don't know why, but he comes off as extremely cocky and holding it back.

Carly Smithson - I really like her voice and wish she would switch up styles to showcase a bigger range of music genre. She probably won't win although she's one of the most talented but she'll have a career from this.

Brooke - My absolute least favorite. I want to go to hollywood and force feed her some sandwiches. She always has a sad/pathetic expression on her face. She's way out of her league personality wise. I'm extremely critical of her since I don't like her and I thought she was HORRIBLE last night.. everytime she moved onto the next line of lyrics, the transition made me shutter as it didn't flow smoothly.

Syesha - She's pretty good but she needs to stop imitating people who are better than her. I don't see her going all the way aside from getting minority votes (sorry, that's the way I feel).

I'm in no way an expert in judging music at all, but I'm just calling it like I see it.

This is the boot order:
Syesha
Kristy Lee
Jason
Carly
Brooke
Michael Johns
David C.
David A. wins the popularity contest (he sucks)

Man, you guys are harsh. I thought yesterday was a fantastic show for everyone involved, with some people sounding only "slightly less fantastic" than others. Still hoping Kristy Lee Cook will go home because of her continued poor sportsmanship, even though she had one of her best performances last night.

Wow, didn't realize there was a CAG thread on AI...

Thoughts on Tuesday:

Michael- I loved it. I don't get why people hated it. His screaming was awesome.

Syesha- Sure she's good, but I just can't connect with her. I'd imagine she's going home this week.

Jason- Amazing performance. Probably my favourite of the night.

Kristy- This isn't funny. Not even a little bit. What the fuck? Why is she starting to not fail? This sucks...

David C.- One of my favourite songs by one of my favourite bands, but what the hell did he do? Easily one of the worst performances this year, and easily my least favourite of the night. I really wanted to like it, especially because he's so freaking good..

Carly- Really meh for me. Not good not bad. Just meh.

David A.- he's good and all, but MAN does he give me cavities...

Brooke- She's my favourite in the show. She won't win, but she has a chance for success. I didn't love it, but I enjoyed watching every second of it.

Rankings (for Tuesday):
1. Jason Castro
2. Michael Johns
3. Brooke White
4. Kristy (UGH!)
5. David A.
6. Syesha
7. Carly
8. David C.

Predictions:
Bottom 3:
Syesha, Carly, Kristy
Bottom 2:
Syesha, Kristy
Loser:
Syesha Mercado

I used to think David Cook was the best until I watched him perform last night. Now I think he is a tool.

Michael Johns is my favorite because I am a sucker for bluesy vocals. I totally don't get the hate he receives, I have never thought of him being cocky or annoying or anything. It has taken him a few weeks to really get into his element, but IMO ever since he sung "We Will Rock You/We Are the Champions" he has been fantastic.

Jason Castro was killer last night, which was good because he has been blowing ass for the past few weeks and he is one of my favorites.

I can honestly not stand to watch Brooke White because every god damned moment she is on the show, she looks like she is about to cry, and it annoys the hell out of me.

Syesha was alright in my book until she did that imitation of a baby crying and now I am afraid of her.

Kristy Lee Cook is a poor sport and should leave.

My girlfriend loves Archuleta so I want him to leave, plus he looks like a dwarf and that creeps me out. Oh, and he breathes in very loudly, and that bothers me.

Carly has a good voice and I really dug her version of "Come Together", but every week after that she hasn't been particularly memorable or entertaining or anything. Her husband looks like a lizard.

Aaaaand I'm done.

Wow, David Cook completely smashed it out of the park with Always Be My Baby. I was worried about how he'd do on Mariah week, but that was EASILY my favorite performance of the night.

Tonight's episode must be the worst episode of AI, ever... but I have to admit I've only been watching a few years.

Even country week was better than this crap... I'm in the middle of watching it now. I feel like I'm in the elevator from hell :whistle2:|

[quote name='karsh']Wow, David Cook completely smashed it out of the park with Always Be My Baby. I was worried about how he'd do on Mariah week, but that was EASILY my favorite performance of the night.[/quote]

agreed, i was impressed

[quote name='karsh']Wow, David Cook completely smashed it out of the park with Always Be My Baby. I was worried about how he'd do on Mariah week, but that was EASILY my favorite performance of the night.[/quote]

He should win, I think. I wasn't a fan of his at the start, but he definitely won me over these last weeks. Impressive stuff. :applause:

Archuleta bores me. He may be the 'chosen one' but I just find his style boring.

bread's done
Back