amiibo Deals and Discussion Thread

no658ea3

CAGiversary!
Feedback
25 (100%)
So the last one was locked, here is the new one.

Don't talk politics or argue.

Don't piss off the mods with reporting posts. If you can't take what someone else is saying don't report them unless it violates the rules of CAG.

Trades are done here amiibo Master Trade Thread

For updates on amiibo check Amiibo Alerts and Amiibo News on Twitter

Master List of amiibo and product details from reddit

Retailers that sell amiibo

Best Buy- Rember that amiibo are 20% off with GCU

Amazon

Toys R Us

Gamestop

Walmart

Target

Credit to Modoru for next section.

Imports/Other sellers:
AmiAmi
PlayAsia
GoHastings
Meijer
Nintendo World Store [NY Location, In-Store only]

Foreign Amazon links:

Amazon UK
Amazon GER

Amazon SPN
Amazon ITA

amiibo compatibility chart

screenshot.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Wondering if I should bite on that Lucas on Amazon, since none of the BB stores near me have in store pickup available. Then again, he might turn into another Falco, with piles of him unsold spilling out everywhere.

Amazon exclusive Chibi-Robo standalone figure down to $7.88: http://www.amazon.com/Chibi-Robo-amiibo-Exclusive-nintendo-wii-u/dp/B016S5DC3M/ref=sr_1_1?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1452703149&sr=1-1&keywords=chibi+robo

Might go down to Tom Nook-like levels at some point but might not be worth the risk or constant price monitoring. Cute little figure. I liked the 3DS game and was able to price adjust the game+figure down to $19.99 after release so it was worth it. I wouldn't recommend the game at full price ($30 without amiibo), but maybe in that $10-$15 range.
Excellent deal! Sucks for people like me who bought it at full price upon release, but those smart enough not to, your patience has been rewarded. It is a nice figure, with a similar metallic finish that Silver Mario has, and I like the artwork on the packaging; standing out from the others, yet looking like it belongs. Also, trash has seldom looked so beautiful.

Lucas is back up on Best Buy for preorder for In Store pickup only.
I was surprised to actually see this in stock at Amazon.com.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B017W175WA

Not only that, but they are also giving an additional 20% off (off $12.99) discount to Prime members.

I am staying away from Bestbuy.com now that they have seemingly gone back to shipping their Amiibo in plastic bags again. This comes after I was told that they have stepped up their shipping methods to "ensure the figures arrive in perfect condition". The last few were shipped in sturdy cardboard boxes so I expected the same here.

I was wrong... :(

Damaged-Amiibo-ShovelKnight-02.jpg

Not only that, but they are also giving an additional 20% off (off $12.99) discount to Prime members.

I am staying away from Bestbuy.com now that they have seemingly gone back to shipping their Amiibo in plastic bags again. This comes after I was told that they have stepped up their shipping methods to "ensure the figures arrive in perfect condition". The last few were shipped in sturdy cardboard boxes so I expected the same here.

Damaged-Amiibo-ShovelKnight-02.jpg
Damn ... that's a dinger!

BB shipped mine in a box and has been shipping Amiibos in a box lately.  

But BB did ship the Mario Maker button bonus gift last week in an envelope and it arrived with a nice crease down the middle.

Yeah, Bestbuy sent my last two in bubble mailers, both were wrecked by the time I got them. I even called to complain and the customer service rep said she couldn't pass a note along to please ship it in a box. Seems like they ship direct from stores in addition to warehouses so there really is no standard..

Please forgive my ignorance, but wolf link is going to be available outside of the bundle, right? The extra dungeon is awesome but I'd hate to open my included wolf link.
There's rumors surronding this, some have said that it will. In all fairness, mostly all of the other amiibos in a bundle have came out alone.

YES! I saw the wolf link bundle was sold out after finding out about it for the first time today. 

And today it just so happens to go up in stock! so cool. 

Yeah, Bestbuy sent my last two in bubble mailers, both were wrecked by the time I got them. I even called to complain and the customer service rep said she couldn't pass a note along to please ship it in a box. Seems like they ship direct from stores in addition to warehouses so there really is no standard..
If you sign up for UPS package alerts they will tell you which store it came from or if it came from a warehouse.

I don't follow amiibo and I know Walmart is very ymmv but I got green yarn Yoshi for $9 and 8 bit Mario for $7 just now. They have Tom nook too but so does everyone. Just FYI.

I got Chibi-Robo this morning from Amazon so now I can buy Yoshi and Chibi-Robo used and not feel bad missing the bundle. The packaging would be nice but whatever.

Anyone read all those hate comments towards nintendo for locking the dungeon behind an amiibo that they don't want or afraid they can't get?

Anyone read all those hate comments towards nintendo for locking the dungeon behind an amiibo that they don't want or afraid they can't get?
Greatest (amiibo) Hits of the Internet

November 2014
"Amiibo will never last or sell, I'll grab a couple of my favorites but that's it. Skylanders & Infinity are better."

January 2015
"ZOMG, these things are great... I need them all! Nintendo is stupid for not printing more."

May 2015
"Amiibo are great and all, but I wish they actually unlocked some cool stuff. They're just pointless figures."

October 2015
"Nintendo is making way too many of these things and they're too easy to find. The magic is gone, I think I'm done."

January 2016
"Wait, they're actually locking cool content behind these things? fuck Nintendo, they're just figures!"

Greatest (amiibo) Hits of the Internet

November 2014
"Amiibo will never last or sell, I'll grab a couple of my favorites but that's it. Skylanders & Infinity are better."

January 2015
"ZOMG, these things are great... I need them all! Nintendo is stupid for not printing more."

May 2015
"Amiibo are great and all, but I wish they actually unlocked some cool stuff. They're just pointless figures."

October 2015
"Nintendo is making way too many of these things and they're too easy to find. The magic is gone, I think I'm done."

January 2016
"Wait, they're actually locking cool content behind these things? fuck Nintendo, they're just figures!"
I have but one like to give you.

BTW, for all those who are annoyed at Shovel Knight locking co-op behind the amiibo, it's really not worth it. The levels aren't re-designed at all and the two Shovel Knights have collision detection with each other, meaning one of them will be dying constantly and it costs half the other's life bar to respawn.

It is the shittiest use of amiibo yet. Though not unexpected.... I'm more annoyed that they continue selling HD Ports for full price.

If it were possible to buy the game without the amiibo I'd be far angrier about it. As it stands now it's an annoyance.

It is the shittiest use of amiibo yet. Though not unexpected.... I'm more annoyed that they continue selling HD Ports for full price.

If it were possible to buy the game without the amiibo I'd be far angrier about it. As it stands now it's an annoyance.
TP is $50, not $60. That is not "full price". It is $60 with the Amiibo.

Your realize Sony and MS by far release more "HD" ports, right? No complaining?

Solution - don't buy the game, As it stands, its an optional dungeon (not even announced yet either lol). I doubt every person who buy TP will do every side quest, get every heart etc. Just normal whining.

Solution - don't buy the game, As it stands, its an optional dungeon (not even announced yet either lol). I doubt every person who buy TP will every side quest, get every heart etc. Just normal whining.
I'm sure they will want to do every dungeon though. Big difference.

Not sure if anyone cares given all the discounting between GCU and Prime, but Target.com has put up the preorders for Lucas and the four AC Amiibos releasing on the 22nd this morning.  

TP is $50, not $60. That is not "full price". It is $60 with the Amiibo.

Your realize Sony and MS by far release more "HD" ports, right? No complaining?
I'm well aware, $50 is close enough to full price.

I love Sony's HD ports because they are COLLECTIONS that run what, $30 to $40? Don't even get me started on Rare Replay's awesomeness either.

And I love how the blind fanboys love to argue "But..... but.... these ports took a lot more work because.... because Nintendo!". That may hold some truetj compared to some of the lazier (and usually cheaper) collections, but certainly not compared to others (the biggest example that comes to mind is the MGS ports).

I have nothing against ports of Nintendo games themselves..... they allowed me to experience games like Pikmin 1, own my own copy of OoT/MM, and there are plenty of other games I've missed that I'd love to see. Hell, I'm even interested in TP simply because, from a gameplay standpoint, it was my favorite Zelda and I wouldn't mind being able to revisit the GC version that's being ported. I just think that, in the case of WW/TP the price is way too high.

It'll go on sale sooner or later. Assuming it's still packaged with the amiibo when it does, I'll probably nab it then.

Last edited:
I'm well aware, $50 is close enough to full price.

I love Sony's HD ports because they are COLLECTIONS that run what, $30 to $40? Don't even get me started on Rare Replay's awesomeness either.

And I love how the blind fanboys love to argue "But..... but.... these ports took a lot more work because.... because Nintendo!". That may hold some truetj compared to some of the lazier (and usually cheaper) collections, but certainly not compared to others (the biggest example that comes to mind is the MGS ports).

I have nothing against ports of Nintendo games themselves..... they allowed me to experience games like Pikmin 1, own my own copy of OoT/MM, and there are plenty of other games I've missed that I'd love to see. Hell, I'm even interested in TP simply because, from a gameplay standpoint, it was my favorite Zelda and I wouldn't mind being able to revisit the GC version that's being ported. I just think that, in the case of WW/TP the price is way too high.

It'll go on sale sooner or later. Assuming it's still packaged with the amiibo when it does, I'll probably nab it then.
Hmm. "The Last of Us" wasn't a collection.

Neither were most of these, actually...
DmC: Devil May Cry Definitive Edition

Final Fantasy Type-0 HD Remastered

Grand Theft Auto V Remastered

Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition

Diablo III: Ultimate Evil Edition

Dead or Alive 5: Last Round

God of War 3 Remastered

Oddworld: Abe's Odyssey New and Tasty

Metro Redux

Injustice: God's Among Us - Definitive Edition

Warriors Orochi 3: Ultimate

Dead Nation: Apocalypse Edition

Dark Souls II: Sins of the First Scholar

Remastered Devil May Cry 4 Remastered

So, yeah.

Your heart doesn't really seem to be in this particular argument. If I didn't know better, I'd say you fully intended to pick up a copy of the Twilight Princess port.

I won't argue the merits or monetary value of this port. It's a relatively transparent cash-grab, similar to the Wind Waker port. Yes, it will be nice for newer gamers to have access to an older title. But Twilight Princess is arguably a less necessary port than even Wind Waker. (which was itself of questionable necessity) Twilight Princess was already released on two different platforms when it originally came out, and the Wii version of it is fully backwards compatible on the WiiU. Basically, you can play Twilight Princess RIGHT NOW on your WiiU, no problem. And given that it was one of the better-selling launch games for the Wii, used copies of it aren't exactly hard to find.

So yeah, this one is a pretty blatant cash-grab on Nintendo's part. And yes, collections like the Rare-Replay for the XOne are a way, way better value. (I have a copy, and highly recommend it) But all the same, I already have Twilight Princess pre-ordered. Partially for the really sweet amiibo, and partially because I'm a crazy collector who loves Zelda games.

God of War 3 Remastered

Metro Redux

So, yeah.
I'd give a pass to a couple of titles on that list because they are more GOTY edition and less "remastered" ports (Injustice, MAYBE GTA V, ect). But you are right, clearly this isn't just a Nintendo problem as there are tons of other examples on the new systems. Since I don't have a PS4 or XB1 and mostly play WiiU and 3DS I have been paying less attention to that side lately.

I hadn't even heard of some of these before. God of War 3 remastered? That one made me lol.

Your heart doesn't really seem to be in this particular argument. If I didn't know better, I'd say you fully intended to pick up a copy of the Twilight Princess port.
I already said I would once I see a decent sale or something, assuming it still comes with the amiibo needed to get the complete game. Story aside, I adored TP more than many seem to. I thought it had better gameplay than any other LoZ title to date, and since I played the Wii version and this is a port of the GC one I think it'll be fun going through with everything flip-flopped.

I just can't justify $60 for a game I already played, even if it does come with an awesome looking figurine.

Last edited:

God of War 3 Remastered

Metro Redux

So, yeah.
Listing a bunch of what amounts to GOTY editions has little to do with an HD re-release like Zelda. The majority of those games are value priced while Zelda is not. Nintendo also isn't putting out much of anything new these days which is largely the problem. While HD remakes like Zelda Twilight Princess are cool, the "blind fanboyism" from Nintendo fans is not welcome. For instance, Nintendo just discovers how DLC works and people praise them for it. Some people are also actually encouraging them to lock more content to their amiibos.

Twilight Princess is more of an apology and buying time than anything. The only reason this even exists is because of Zelda Wii U's delay.

Warning: this is going to be ranty.  But definitely on topic with amiibo discussion

I spend a lot of time chatting and discussing vids with gamers and Nintendo fans are definitely the most out of touch, and the craziest.   They tend to want to buy everything Nintendo and have very little interest with what is happening on the other platforms or PC.  Yes, I am making a generalization here.  But it is generally true. 

Sure, everything is optional.  However, "don't buy it if you don't like it" is beyond a tired cliche.  It's a pattern of behavior from the company.  There are plenty of people that just want to see Nintendo do a better job.  Meaning, more games.  Less, follow the plastic.  More, have a little foresight and futureproof your hardware instead of using last generation's graphical capabilities.  Less, abandoning your hardware (WiiU) and constant re-releasing of new versions of your handhelds.  More, put a stronger focus on your television console instead of churning out redundant game derivatives on the 3DS. 

I like many all of those games listed above.  The updates were welcome.  I'm excited to have TP with updated grahpics as well.  But like usual it's the Nintendo business model which is rubbing people the wrong way.  I mean, aren't people tired of having gotten FOUR different versions of the 3DS over the last four years?  Tell me what is positive about having bought the original 3DS.  You can't even have your digital purchases on a second machine.  Your Nintendo digital rights are an atrocity.  As far as gaming machines go, Nintendo has become one of the worst investments you can make if you are on any sort of budget.  Entire flagship IPs are being left in the dust on one, sometimes two generations of hardware in a row.

It is way past time that they become more in-touch with modern consumers.  I am a Nintendo fan too (can't stress that enough) and they need to be doing better.  I love amiibos but I also regret having supported them with money on this kind of magnitude to further guide them down the path of plastic profitability and gaming irrelevance.

I love amiibos but I also regret having supported them with money on this kind of magnitude to further guide them down the path of plastic profitability and gaming irrelevance.
There's a problem with this assertion. The truth is, you don't know what the proper path to relevance is for Nintendo. Clearly, they don't either. But the vast majority of suggestions that I continue to hear is that they simply should do things differently or better than they're currently doing. And the truth is, this is wrong.

If Nintendo suddenly shifted their focus to doing the things that consumers like you suggest, they would simply fade away. Most of your suggestions are to simply emulate the practices of Nintendo's competitors, like Sony and Microsoft. (or possibly Apple) But attempting to mirror the strategies that other companies are implementing would just lead Nintendo into disaster and an irreversible decline. They can't compete doing the exact same thing that other companies do. This is doubly true with the current competition.

Nintendo was having trouble competing in this fashion back when the N64 was on the market. And the PS1 was comparatively mild competition by todays standards. The PS4 is Sony's best designed system to date, it is Sony bringing their competitive A game. While the XOne stumbled out of the gate, Microsoft has been course-correcting it hard, and it too is a competitive platform at this point. Attempting to emulate the strategies of either of those systems would do Nintendo no favors.

I'll grant that your complaints about Nintendo's digital policies are outdated and ought to change. But most of your other suggestions wouldn't actually help matters. If Nintendo wants to be competitive again, it will have to be through some method that it's primary competition can't quickly respond to. It will have to be a fundamental shift in design, as was the case with the DS and the Wii. (Nintendo's biggest successes in recent years) The truth is, Nintendo would be better served catering to audiences other than their traditional fans. Most long-term Nintendo fans don't like to hear that, but it is the truth.

Idiot amazon worker picked out the worst box chibi robo and shipped to me. The art work is messed up & the box is dented. She/he Ruined my collection now i must contact amazon.

That's a strawman argument bud. I didn't suggest they need to do things like Sony or Microsoft. I agree with most of the things you have stated, which have been discussed at length before by people like us who follow the industry as a whole.

Nintendo needs to do their own thing. We all understand and appreciate that. But they need to be doing a much better job at doing the Nintendo thing especially in three major areas: Hardware and long-term sustainability and support, first party flagship franchises that are absent, and a much improved digital customer account system. That's not following MS and Sony. Two of those three things are simply not screwing over your supporters.

That's a strawman argument bud. I didn't suggest they need to do things like Sony or Microsoft. I agree with most of the things you have stated, which have been discussed at length before by people like us who follow the industry as a whole.

Nintendo needs to do their own thing. We all understand and appreciate that. But they need to be doing a much better job at doing the Nintendo thing especially in three major areas: Hardware and long-term sustainability and support, first party flagship franchises that are absent, and a much improved digital customer account system. That's not following MS and Sony. Two of those three things are simply not screwing over your supporters.
Nintendo is getting better at digital. And I see no reason they won't still get better. It's not going to suddenly change their fortunes around.

They aren't going to make an X1 or PS4. So throw that out the window.

Their hardware was a miss this generation. IT didn't do enough new. The gamepad was kind of cool ,but drove up the cost of the platform so they don't really even have a cost advantage right now. Not like they enjoyed with the Wii.

The 3ds was pretty much the DS. The 3d was the big new feature and not only did the 3d craze die out quick, but the 3d on the 3ds suffered viewing angle problems. That's now been corrected, but not sure anyone cares that much. It is kind of cool, but it does tire your eyes more than 2d. And of course mobile started really taking off by the time the 3ds was released.

Nintendo is consolidating its handheld and console platforms. We're going to see 1 MK work on either platform if we don't see a console/handheld hyrbrid instead. Either way, anyone owning 1 Nintendo device will have more games to choose from.

Other than that, Nintendo sounds like it is going to double down on releasing something new and unique next gen.

Nintendo's not going to reviving any franchises anytime soon. The new President of Nintendo just gave an interview and he said they're going to go more into new properties instead of doing spinoffs (likely buoyed by the success of Splatoon).

If not posted
CYyNb0tW8AAo9zj.png
Those aren't amiibo. They are World of Nintendo figures.

Nintendo's not going to reviving any franchises anytime soon. The new President of Nintendo just gave an interview and he said they're going to go more into new properties instead of doing spinoffs (likely buoyed by the success of Splatoon).

Those aren't amiibo. They are World of Nintendo figures.
I watched the video at full rez a few times and yes you are right, those are not amiibo. Look real close from a distance.

Solution - don't buy the game, As it stands, its an optional dungeon (not even announced yet either lol). I doubt every person who buy TP will do every side quest, get every heart etc. Just normal whining.
Exactly, it's not like nintendo is forcing anyone to buy the game or that their wii u will become unusable if they don't play it. Choices is always good so instead of whining about it being too high or already played it think about those who have not and actually do want it at least it's there. Having said this, Nintendo needs to get it's arse in gear & make a Super Mario Sunshine HD with Fludd amiibo that unlocks something new I'd be on that like a Ninja Turtle on Pizza!

I didn't suggest they need to do things like Sony or Microsoft.

You specifically said that they should future-proof their hardware by not relying on existing tech. That's a strategy employed by Microsoft and Sony. You stated that they should be more focused on their home console instead of their handheld platform. This is also consistent with the strategy currently adopted by Sony. You are actively advocating for a greater number of releases of long-term established franchises. Sony and Microsoft.

All of this flies in the face of what has proven successful for Nintendo in the past. All you're doing is demanding the same thing that typical fans were clamoring for when the WiiU was announced. More of the same. You got that with the WiiU. The WiiU is probably Nintendo's most typical home console in a very long time. All of the major profitable franchises are already on it. (Metroid has never sold as well as Nintendo would like) The WiiU IS the system designed for the Nintendo faithful, and still fans like you aren't happy. What possible incentive does Nintendo have to cater to your tastes?

They have to do something more out of left field. That is what I'm expecting their next system to be. In the meantime, I'm enjoying the releases that I've gotten for the WiiU.

Oddly enough, I'm satisfied with the WiiU in part because I have all of the other major systems.

This is the only thing to really boost Nintendo. The problem is that Miyamoto is getting old (past prime?): so we have less original properties than, say, the 1990s. But remember the splash that Pikmin made? Maybe not the best of games, but it certainly boosted Nintendo in a way that the competitors couldn't really emulate (and it didn't rely on hardware power). It was fresh gaming. Not entirely original, no, but given a Nintendo paint job that charmed the pants off of many a fan.

They need more of that. Less cell phone games or motion wanking. The Amiibos are just butter on that sweet bread: I see no reason to stop a cash cow that Sony and Microsoft have yet to jump into (though, that's a bad comparison here, as the competition is more from Activision and Disney).

I support your points. Nintendo is becoming a fossil, and only recently have come out of their high-and-mighty cave: more toys, cell games, etc. All of the new business activities is proof that continuing the "Nintendo" course is a proven disaster: they need to do new things to survive (and that doesn't mean emulating MSoft or Sony).

But I still can't help but lament the lack of a hot new app/game: a new Pokemon or Mario-type franchise could really pull them out of the fire (kind of like how Splatoon helped sell so many WiiUs). As it stands, Nintendo is becoming a company of nostalgia and kid toys - over-reliant on old properties being rehashed (or HD re-released) and quickly making more money as a toy company. It's fine, if you don't mind Nintendo moving away from gaming in general... but it's a bit sad to see them grow too old so quick. But then again... Being so stubborn about releasing consoles when you're clearly losing your shirt is a sign of poor business sense. The Wii might be their last home console hurrah, and many analysts at the time had already predicted it would be a flash in the pan, not a continued success.

Ehhh, but that's just how I see it.

I really doubt the Wii is Nintendo's last console success, especially considering that despite the Wii U's lagging sales they are still making more profit than Sony.

And they are still going forward with the mobile stuff. If anything, Nintendo will increase its mobile presence, especially if the upcoming games sell well.

bread's done
Back