amiibo Deals and Discussion Thread

no658ea3

CAGiversary!
Feedback
25 (100%)
So the last one was locked, here is the new one.

Don't talk politics or argue.

Don't piss off the mods with reporting posts. If you can't take what someone else is saying don't report them unless it violates the rules of CAG.

Trades are done here amiibo Master Trade Thread

For updates on amiibo check Amiibo Alerts and Amiibo News on Twitter

Master List of amiibo and product details from reddit

Retailers that sell amiibo

Best Buy- Rember that amiibo are 20% off with GCU

Amazon

Toys R Us

Gamestop

Walmart

Target

Credit to Modoru for next section.

Imports/Other sellers:
AmiAmi
PlayAsia
GoHastings
Meijer
Nintendo World Store [NY Location, In-Store only]

Foreign Amazon links:

Amazon UK
Amazon GER

Amazon SPN
Amazon ITA

amiibo compatibility chart

screenshot.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm glad Lucina is getting a reprint, although I'd picked up a JP one for about $20 shipped a while back.  I got lucky at a local GS and found a used Callie and Marie so was able to get those along with 3 others for about $20

Pre-ordered Lucina - finally! Glad to see a reprint come across as I really wanted a complete Fire Emblem collection but was too cheap to spend crazy eBay prices.

Can't believe I'm looking at the Wii Fit Trainer that just came in the other day from Target too. 

Best Buy has almost every former "rare" amiibo for sale or preorder except Palutena!! AGHHHH, she's the only one I don't have. If anyone sees her pop up, please post!

Just got Ness. I already had Gold Mario from the first time around. Just put up Robin, and I can stop spending money. Lol

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

I already had an imported Pit and Lucina, but I went ahead and put in an order anyway to have a mint-in-box for both. (always wanted those two in-box) I put in an order for a Gold Mario because it is the only amiibo I currently don't have.

This is great news, I was fortunate enough to find a gold mario preowned at gamestop with some other harder to find ones to score the B2G3 free but this is tempting for that CIB look

There goes the value of amiibos. sigh. I put in lots of money on those. I should give up. Buuuuuuut I need the rest of the Smash characters. LOL

There goes the value of amiibos. sigh. I put in lots of money on those. I should give up. Buuuuuuut I need the rest of the Smash characters. LOL
Well, that should teach you a lesson about creating a investment portfolio that allots a high number of dollars to children's toys as part of it's strategy.

Well, that should teach you a lesson about creating a investment portfolio that allots a high number of dollars to children's toys as part of it's strategy.
Yeah, and everyone that was looking to cash out should have taken the massive Marth re-release as a sign that Nintendo can and will drop the value like a rock anytime they feel like doing a new run. Even when people try to add minor detail changes made to the run a selling point.

If you enjoy having them and displaying them, they are great collectibles, particularly if you can get them cheap. But any value is pretty much gone unless you want to try and hang on to them 20 years or so (maybe). Like the comic book market, a large supply coupled with people taking good care of them (and many keeping them packaged) means they aren't hard to get. It is the rarity that makes them valuable.

Nintendo's handling of these things really showed they don't know WTF they're doing. I mean, I've bitched and moaned about not being able to pre-order or find Robin/Lucina and then continued bitching about it for months about a reprint and now that there finally is one, I just don't seem to care. 

Maybe this will get heavily discounted, just like many of the other recent releases. 

I don't really feel sorry for people that buy on the second hand market.
I did, when Marth came out again. We suspected it might happen to have a restock, maybe when a new game came out that supported it. But after that, anyone that paid above retail to a scalper can consider the premium so they would not have to wait. They demonstrated that they were willing to do reprints.

And the biggest Nintendo fans were in line to get figures when they came out. I know a lot of these "biggest fans" decided later they had to have figures, so not exactly the most dedicated. Robin and Lucina, however, were in small numbers - but you could have imported them for months from Amazon and paid way less than you do to an EBay scalper, particularly if you ordered multiple to save on shipping.

Nintendo is doing this restock because the fans want the figures, and they have absolutely zero reason to give any shits about people that "lose value" in their collections. Nintendo makes the same off a figure whether it gets opened and thrown against the wall or triple polybagged and put into a fire-proof safe. If anything they benefit from getting rid of second hand premiums, because it means they aren't getting product they can sell onto the market. They would much rather you give them the money than four times that much to coolamiiboz123 on EBay.

And my Funko Pops. I sold high value ones away already. I still have my Planet Arlia Vegeta. That one goes over $800

Nintendo slowed down making games so they need to make money somehow. That's why they restock super late.

I don't really feel sorry for people that buy on the second hand market.
Same. Those people are why the horrible prices exist. If nobody paid it, nobody would be scalping. I paid $12.99 for my Lucina, and I opened her before I got home that day.

*shrugs*

What do I know, I buy toys as toys.

Yeah but Nintendo really messed up how they handled it. I understand it takes quite a bit of time to reprint more Amiibos but they could have at least informed their fanbase that more were on the way. Then we wouldn't have had the situations where people were buying ten of the same Amiibo in stores just to sell them on eBay. Or where people were literally camping out all night to have a chance at preordering (PREORDERING) Greninja at Toys R Us...

I only started collecting Amiibos a month ago and I'm only missing ten of the Smash line, most of the Animal Crossing line (waiting to see if they'll go even lower), mega yarn Yoshi (don't feel like paying $40 out of pocket yet), and the dark Bowser Skymiibo, while not paying a penny above retail for any of them and getting quite a few of them for significantly lower than MSRP. Collecting and owning these things is really fun when you don't have to frantically hunt for them.

LOL except it's not rare anymore. Nintendo restocks after their biggest fans spent 4x the price on them over a year ago. Adding more salt to the wound.
Actually, as of now, U.S. Lucina is still very much rare. Outside of getting lucky and finding a used copy at a Gamestop somewhere you are not going to get this anywhere besides the Best Buy restock. After the restock I'm sure it will be easily available for a while, but right now it is near impossible to find.

Nintendo didn't mess up with the quantities, if you ask me they succeeded with selling these things. They may have left a lot of people disappointed with not being able to get the one they wanted.

You know what I am upset about though, these toy to life games taking up so much space in the video game isle.

Yeah but Nintendo really messed up how they handled it. I understand it takes quite a bit of time to reprint more Amiibos but they could have at least informed their fanbase that more were on the way. Then we wouldn't have had the situations where people were buying ten of the same Amiibo in stores just to sell them on eBay. Or where people were literally camping out all night to have a chance at preordering (PREORDERING) Greninja at Toys R Us...

I only started collecting Amiibos a month ago and I'm only missing ten of the Smash line, most of the Animal Crossing line (waiting to see if they'll go even lower), mega yarn Yoshi (don't feel like paying $40 out of pocket yet), and the dark Bowser Skymiibo, while not paying a penny above retail for any of them and getting quite a few of them for significantly lower than MSRP. Collecting and owning these things is really fun when you don't have to frantically hunt for them.
Even if they announced reprints, people would still scalp. If they can make it hard to find when it first comes out, people will pay the nutso prices. Especially since they can't really guarantee "On November 15th, 2017 we will re-release every amiibo" because of shit with shipping/production/etc. that can go wrong.

Sure people would still try to scalp, but consumers would know to wait since more were coming. And of course they don't have to give a specific date, just tell us that more are on the way.

Nintendo seems to have handled it well. By and large, none of the figures have really needed to hit "fire sale" prices. 
Disney drove Infinity right into a ditch. It'd dead, gone, and they're having a hard time moving figures at 75% off. 

Skylanders always has a glut, and most stores fire-sale them at the end of every year cycle before the new product comes in. 
This year seemed like that started excessively early... Toys R Us seems to have had Skylanders at Buy 1 get 2 free since June. 

Amiibos? There's been some deals to be had on Amazon, but really only the Animal Crossing, Kirby and Splatoon alternate colors seems to have really fallen to any significant clearance price at most stores... and I'd not be shocked to see the Animal Crossing figures see a little bit of a spike in prices when the update to make them work on New Leaf. 

Fans might be slightly miffed, but I'd expect Nintendo's shareholders and retail partners are pretty happy about the way Nintendo managed Amiibos.

Sure people would still try to scalp, but consumers would know to wait since more were coming. And of course they don't have to give a specific date, just tell us that more are on the way.
No they wouldn't. You would still have people who are uninformed, and you would still have people who are too damn impatient. :D

Marvel Legends 6" Deadpool is being released as an entire case of just THAT figure, yet people are still paying scalpers around $60 for him because they want it now.

The Greninja preorder was the only time I walked away empty handed. Though I was able to return on launch day 4 hours before opening and secure him, along with Robin and Lucina. It's weird now, but assuredly a welcome relief that I can wait for the Kirby and Animal Crossing lines to drop to the $4-5 range and pick them up at my leisure.

The only Amiibo I'm slightly jaded about is gold mario. I really thought that was a limited edition.
Thats also the only amiibo they officially said would be a one run thing. Clearly they went back on their word on that. People have a right to be pissed at Nintendo about Gold Mario. Unlike other amiibo rarity which were all pure speculation. Gold Mario was announced to be actually limited run by both Nintendo and Walmart. So the people who missed out figured they can only get it by buying them on Ebay for 3X to 4X the price And figured it'll actually be rare cause Nintendo said so. Now Nintendo decides to release more a year and a half later, that's some bs lol!!! Nintendo could've said back then "oh be patient, we'll release more in 18 months so don't overpay"

If you guys are jaded that more fans will have easy access to a previously heavily-scalped and hard-to-find Amiibo, then you're collecting for the wrong reasons :/

If you guys are jaded that more fans will have easy access to a previously heavily-scalped and hard-to-find Amiibo, then you're collecting for the wrong reasons :/
LOL what else is the point of the Gold Mario other than its collectability. It's got the same functions as the regular Mario. So it's not a must have except for people to collect due to its previous rarity. Basically Nintendo got people to double or triple dip on Mario Amiibos by announcing a gold version that was gonna be rare (plus silver Mario). Now they're trying to milk out even more $$$ a year and a half later. Many people would've probably only picked up one of the 3 Mario amiibos if none were rare. Well player indeed Nintendo!!!

I'm happy about the reprints. Greater stock could become excess stock leading to discounts/sales. Is this not CAG?

However, falsely advertising a product as being limited to "one run only" is nothing short of a dirtbag move. Companies get away with it all the time though. I never collect stuff solely due to rarity for that reason, especially as it concerns digital content (here's looking at you Championship Riven).

Don't ever believe a product will be available only once just because the company says so. Certainly don't believe run quantity numbers. They are free to lie without consequence.

LOL what else is the point of the Gold Mario other than its collectability. It's got the same functions as the regular Mario. So it's not a must have except for people to collect due to its previous rarity. Basically Nintendo got people to double or triple dip on Mario Amiibos by announcing a gold version that was gonna be rare (plus silver Mario). Now they're trying to milk out even more $$$ a year and a half later. Many people would've probably only picked up one of the 3 Mario amiibos if none were rare. Well player indeed Nintendo!!!
Well, you could call it the "New Super Mario Bros. 2" version of Mario, he turns gold in that, just like he turns silver in Mario 64 ... :)

Just because an item is a "collectible" does not mean "rare", nor does "limited" mean low production numbers or "never printed again". In fact, you could pretty much call anything "limited" because nothing is made in unlimited numbers. Anyone who invested in Amiibos due to value made a poor investment choice. And if the problem is it bothers someone that more other people have it, well then that really isn't a good argument either. If you enjoy the figures, have at it - but consider them a cost, not an investment.

Lesson #1: Don't use toys as investments. There are much better investments out there that do not depend on profit making corporations to actively avoid trying to make more money.

Lesson #2: Any figure can be remade by a company that doesn't not advertise an exact print run and specify it will not be re-run.

Lesson #3: Don't fall for scalpers, Nintendo has shown they are more than willing to re-print figures in the future, just be patient.

A limited batch is not the same thing as a "limited edition".  Nintendo never came out and said that Gold Mario or any other amiibos were going to be limited.  They can reprint things whenever they want.  Even "store exclusives" were only exclusive to those stores for a few months.

You're probably thinking of certain tweets that said things to the effect of "once they're gone, they're gone" or "Gold Mario in limited numbers at Walmart".  

bread's done
Back