amiibo Deals and Discussion Thread

no658ea3

CAGiversary!
Feedback
25 (100%)
So the last one was locked, here is the new one.

Don't talk politics or argue.

Don't piss off the mods with reporting posts. If you can't take what someone else is saying don't report them unless it violates the rules of CAG.

Trades are done here amiibo Master Trade Thread

For updates on amiibo check Amiibo Alerts and Amiibo News on Twitter

Master List of amiibo and product details from reddit

Retailers that sell amiibo

Best Buy- Rember that amiibo are 20% off with GCU

Amazon

Toys R Us

Gamestop

Walmart

Target

Credit to Modoru for next section.

Imports/Other sellers:
AmiAmi
PlayAsia
GoHastings
Meijer
Nintendo World Store [NY Location, In-Store only]

Foreign Amazon links:

Amazon UK
Amazon GER

Amazon SPN
Amazon ITA

amiibo compatibility chart

screenshot.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Then with the adventure of link, you didn't know if it was going to be a good game or not. You had a single screen shot from your sears catalog. There was no internet. There was no "watch youtube to find out how to beat a game". You either found that mallet to progress in zelda 2 or a friend did or you were sol unless you opted to sped the $1.99 per minute to call up the nintendo "cheat line" where they would tell you how to beat a game lol!

We didn't have 1000+ skyrim strategy guides.

I remember zelda 2 coming out and calling up stores to see which ones had any is stock and getting 1 of 3 left at sears when my dad got home from work.

Non NES kids will never know that experience. There was no "game stop" or video game exchange when NES launched. you either trade borrowed games with your friends or you had to wait until you had another $50 for a game.

NES era, back when REAL gaming happened.
I bought my NES games from Montgomery Wards and K-Mart. As a kid, you just went by the screenshot on the back.

Then with the adventure of link, you didn't know if it was going to be a good game or not. You had a single screen shot from your sears catalog. There was no internet. There was no "watch youtube to find out how to beat a game". You either found that mallet to progress in zelda 2 or a friend did or you were sol unless you opted to sped the $1.99 per minute to call up the nintendo "cheat line" where they would tell you how to beat a game lol!

We didn't have 1000+ skyrim strategy guides.

I remember zelda 2 coming out and calling up stores to see which ones had any is stock and getting 1 of 3 left at sears when my dad got home from work.

Non NES kids will never know that experience. There was no "game stop" or video game exchange when NES launched. you either trade borrowed games with your friends or you had to wait until you had another $50 for a game.

NES era, back when REAL gaming happened.
you sound like a bitter old man. Real gaming? Just stop. You're not better than anyone else.

Well that's the last time I buy more than 1 amiibo in an order from Amazon...

2016-12-05%2017.06.39.jpg

2016-12-05%2017.06.48.jpg

2016-12-05%2017.06.57.jpg

Keep in mind these are the replacements for the original order which arrived damaged in much the same way.
Separate orders might not help much with Amazon, if they can consolidate and smash it in the same package they will automatically do so. Maybe replacements could be requested separately. Best Buy is awesome, they'll usually send me one per box per order for preorders and usually the box is the right size.

Oh, one thing I saw the other week that was pretty interesting was a small shipper in the video game section of Walmart.  Three were boxed copies of TLOZ: Twilight Princess HD + Wolf Link amiibo for only $25.  There were just four of them on the shipper, total.  A few hours into black friday no one had bought any.  I was thinking wow, that is a great deal.  I already own the box though, and didn't exactly have a reason to buy any extras.  

Anyone else happen to see that?

https://www.amazon.com/Legend-Zelda-Twilight-Princess-HD-Wii/dp/B017W1771Y/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1480999463&sr=8-3&keywords=wolf%2Blink%2Bamiibo&th=1

you sound like a bitter old man. Real gaming? Just stop. You're not better than anyone else.
I was wondering what the Pong/Atari 2600 people would have thought of that rant. Playing Pac-Man in the arcade for the first time, at least for me, was far more epic than getting Zelda on the NES when it came out. But I suppose it's all a subjective matter anyway.

It's a little late to give a heads up on Black Friday deals.

In the Black Friday threads, there was discussion that the Twilight Princess amiibo bundle was ringing up the same as the base game for the BF sale, $25.

Some stores tried to "hide" them by not including the bundle in the BF display and placing signs that said "not part of the BF sale," but even then they would still ring up $25.

I got one. Almost got 2, but that would've been excessive. There were 12 on the display in all when I went 9pm Thursday evening.

Oh, one thing I saw the other week that was pretty interesting was a small shipper in the video game section of Walmart. Three were boxed copies of TLOZ: Twilight Princess HD + Wolf Link amiibo for only $25. There were just four of them on the shipper, total. A few hours into black friday no one had bought any. I was thinking wow, that is a great deal. I already own the box though, and didn't exactly have a reason to buy any extras.

Anyone else happen to see that?

https://www.amazon.com/Legend-Zelda-Twilight-Princess-HD-Wii/dp/B017W1771Y/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1480999463&sr=8-3&keywords=wolf%2Blink%2Bamiibo&th=1
Yes, I saw that shipper too on BF weekend. There were 3 in the shipper on Friday and they were gone by Monday of the next week.

Well that's the last time I buy more than 1 amiibo in an order from Amazon...

2016-12-05%2017.06.39.jpg

2016-12-05%2017.06.48.jpg

2016-12-05%2017.06.57.jpg

Keep in mind these are the replacements for the original order which arrived damaged in much the same way.
I'm sorry this happened to you and I hope you get it resolved with Amazon. I've had the same experience from all the Retailers. Amazon is usually better about this, as they will typically ship most items in a box at least. Best Buy has a tendency to ship things like this in soft plastic mailers. However, I think what is happening here is you have an Amazon employee who knows very well what these Amiibos are and they are getting their kicks knowing that they destroyed the packaging before placing them in the box. There is a small chance you have a completely clueless Amazon employee who does not understand that you don't damage the product packaging in order to fit as many of these as possible into a box. It would appear Amazon Supervisors need to supervise a little better. Just know that you can only hope and pray they get everything in life they deserve.

I was wondering what the Pong/Atari 2600 people would have thought of that rant. Playing Pac-Man in the arcade for the first time, at least for me, was far more epic than getting Zelda on the NES when it came out. But I suppose it's all a subjective matter anyway.
What rant? More like a statement based on real experience. Yes, playing pac-man for the first time certainly was epic. Hell, going to an actual arcade the first time was epic, with all the lights and sounds. Playing against others was far more epic than picking up a headset and playing someone in another country that you will never meet. Don't mind ElivisTheGreat... he's just worried this experience may cause someone who never got to experience such things to catch feelings. This is why you got people saying things like "why PacMan and no MS Pacman on the Classic NES?"

These people don't know the history and reasoning behind such things as:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cmEW2nDFGDs

It doesn't matter what you perceive something to "sound as", what matters is what actually is. There's nothing bitter about knowing that you were there when real gaming happened. Your upset about the statement because you are worried that someone might catch feelings over it. It's like being upset that someone never got to experience watching Michael Jordan play basketball and go 6/6 in the finals. You were either there to witness it and live it, or you weren't. Simple as that. We don't get to pretend that something that was epic and better than something present day never happened just because we have a concern over someone that didn't get to share the experience with us.

What rant? More like a statement based on real experience. Yes, playing pac-man for the first time certainly was epic. Hell, going to an actual arcade the first time was epic, with all the lights and sounds. Playing against others was far more epic than picking up a headset and playing someone in another country that you will never meet. Don't mind ElivisTheGreat... he's just worried this experience may cause someone who never got to experience such things to catch feelings. This is why you got people saying things like "why PacMan and no MS Pacman on the Classic NES?"

These people don't know the history and reasoning behind such things as:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cmEW2nDFGDs

It doesn't matter what you perceive something to "sound as", what matters is what actually is. There's nothing bitter about knowing that you were there when real gaming happened. Your upset about the statement because you are worried that someone might catch feelings over it. It's like being upset that someone never got to experience watching Michael Jordan play basketball and go 6/6 in the finals. You were either there to witness it and live it, or you weren't. Simple as that. We don't get to pretend that something that was epic and better than something present day never happened just because we have a concern over someone that didn't get to share the experience with us.
Maybe you should just go back to complaining about neckbeards.

It seems you can no longer trade in amiibo at GameStop. That sucks because I wanted to buy the Splatoon 3 pack and trade in Boy & Girl, and it also is bad because I wanted to buy some of the Super Mario series for cheap at their next sale.

Anyone work there and know if this is permanent or temporary? The website can't be searched for it, so I called the store and he said amiibo are showing no trade in value.
Talked with a gamestop employee yesterday. She is the store manager and said she has been told this is permanent. She said they only make a few cents on each sale (which I don't believe), and it isn't profitable for the company. She then said they have hundreds of each skylanders figure, and there is no way to sell them all off. That is on them for buying to many used figures, but I don't think skylanders compares to amiibo in terms of supply and demand. She said with the end of disney infinity the company thinks all toy to life products are going away and they won't be stocking them much anymore. They were running a B2G3 used sale, but only had a few DI, and a ton of skylanders. The "sale" they were running on new DI characters was a couple dollars off. A few amiibo were also a few dollars off (most of those that you can get at best buy for $6 or less). I think gamestop's problem is the way they run their prices and stock. If you have a huge supply and low demand, don't overpay for figures (which I don't know trade in values of the past) and don't price so high. When I can buy a new figure from best buy with GCU for less than a gamestop used figure, then your pricing has obvious flaws.

I actually got $3.50 or so for each of the other 2 Animal Crossing ones I traded in from the 3-pack (so I could keep KK Slider). Was hoping to do that again with Splatoon. Of course that was right as the market was sliding from over-saturation, and not the complete free-fall that it's in now. I will try to wait as the other person above said (and hope Best Buy will do $5 new on those eventually as well).
I hear you. I got $70 for a little mac a year ago on EBay.

Yeah I get it if GS wants to stop selling Skylanders and Disney Infinity figures, but idk why they would stop selling Amiibos. Amiibos don't flood the stores like the former do, and the stores near me seem to sell their preowned Amiibos pretty quickly

And what's up with the self-righteous people coming in here and acting all high and mighty because they grew up with NES games? Lol seems kind of random. Congrats I guess

Sold all 20 of the Lucinas I had. Plus all the Splatoon Amiibo 3 packs and even the few AC 3 packs I got. Shoulda bought even more.
Nice work. Get another 20. Nintendo's purpose was to make you money and they did exactly that. If they want to play games and release limited quantity of NES Classics to create false demand for increase of sales in Feb, you just come right over the top and play the same tune. Amiibos made me so much money I'm basically gaming for free from here on out.

Yeah I get it if GS wants to stop selling Skylanders and Disney Infinity figures, but idk why they would stop selling Amiibos. Amiibos don't flood the stores like the former do, and the stores near me seem to sell their preowned Amiibos pretty quickly

And what's up with the self-righteous people coming in here and acting all high and mighty because they grew up with NES games? Lol seems kind of random. Congrats I guess
No one is acting all high and mighty or criticizing you for something that was not within your level of control. Did you have a say as to when you were born? No, so it shouldn't offend you.

What is however being said is that gaming was more enjoyable back then than it is now. Everyone I talk to that has been gaming since the days of the arcade and atari have weighed in saying that gaming was more pure and real. You didn't have game devs releasing incomplete broken games like No Man's Sky and then have to release patch after patch. There was no Youtube for you to just fire up and see how to get through a game. Gaming was pure and real.

Will someone who didn't play zelda on release day be able to appreciate the 8 bit amiiibo as much as the person that did? Absolutely not.

Is there anything wrong with that fact? Absolutely not.

Should someone catch feelings over it? Absolutely not.

Do we have far less neckbeards now that prior to this amiibo release? Absolutely

Why? Because it was something that could be changed that was within their control. There are no time machines so no one is going to fault someone for not being able to appreciate something as much as the next person that grew up with it and lived it rather than just hear about it 2nd hand. The issue is that a statement gets made and someone infers that it's a knock on them when it's not. Millennial and gen Z gamers need to stop being so triggered.

And could use gamefaqs for halp.
There was no gamefaqs back when Zelda for NES game out. You either figured it out, heard from a friend how to beat it. Nintendo power didn't come out until July 1988. Legend of Zelda was released in 1986.

There were many kids that got destroyed in that game. When we found out that you could enter in "zelda" as the name of your character and unlock a whole new 2nd quest, mind = blown.

Fast forward to present day and we STILL have people on twitch trying to speed run that game and set new records.

When I was a kid we had to walk uphill both ways for video game tips.

Also I did enter my name as Zelda on one of my first saves and couldn't understand what had happened to the world.  I discovered it accidentally. 

When I was a kid we had to walk uphill both ways for video game tips.

Also I did enter my name as Zelda on one of my first saves and couldn't understand what had happened to the world. I discovered it accidentally.
Nice. I remember when I was a kid a relative in his 40's asking "how the hell do I find the raft! I need to cross the water!!"

There was no "game stop".  You either had friends to trade borrow games with, or you were stuck with the games you had until you had enough to get a new one.  There was no "go play apps on your iphone kids until we get you a new game" like today.   Kids these days really don't know how well we paved the way for them.

Being a game enthusiast "back-in-the-day" was different. But I won't say that it was better. I was there for the launch of the NES. And it was great. There really was something special about that gold Legend of Zelda cartridge. The way they packaged that game just made it feel spectacular in a way that you don't see much of these days.

At the same time, the selection and price of games in this day and age are fantastic. Most of the classics are being restored, repackaged, and remastered in one form or another. So anyone with a mind to revisit the days of yore now has legitimate means to do so, in a convenient fashion. The development of new games is rampant, and the indie and hobbyists scenes are bigger and more accessible than ever. We're seeing tons of worthwhile games coming out every year, often with a level of experimentation that we haven't seen since those bygone beginnings. And the price of games has been driven extremely low thanks to the volume that exists in the industry, combined with the rampant competition. Being a game player/consumer is better now than ever before.

I occasionally lament some of the experiences that no longer exist. You don't get the same sense of exploration and discovery these days, thanks to the proliferation of data that the internet enables. The vast majority of game information is a Google-search away. It's much less common to be surprised when playing, which can be a bit unfortunate. We've traded wonder for convenience. But the numerous benefits frequently outweigh what has been lost.

There was no "game stop". You either had friends to trade borrow games with, or you were stuck with the games you had until you had enough to get a new one. There was no "go play apps on your iphone kids until we get you a new game" like today. Kids these days really don't know how well we paved the way for them.
This is so wrong it's ridiculous. There were lots of rental places that rented games and tons of places that bought and sold used games. Funcoland was founded in 1988 and before that, there were places that bought, sold and traded games by mail order and local mom and pop stores that did the same.

This is so wrong it's ridiculous. There were lots of rental places that rented games and tons of places that bought and sold used games. Funcoland was founded in 1988 and before that, there were places that bought, sold and traded games by mail order and local mom and pop stores that did the same.
I hate to jump into this discussion but in the area I grew up, there were 2 places that you could rent games. They had a deal on Wednesday where you could rent a game for a week for $1. Until Funcoland opened in a location that ultimately became a Gamestop there was nowhere to buy/sell used games locally. I do remember the ads in magazines for used games but they were still extremely expensive.

I honestly cannot remember getting rid of used games until the PS2 era. Maybe it was much more prevalent in other places but I can't remember anyone trading games in to stores, we all traded games with each other.

And on the amiibo note, my 8 bit link replacement got sent signature required. Thanks again BB you dicks.

I hate to jump into this discussion but in the area I grew up, there were 2 places that you could rent games. They had a deal on Wednesday where you could rent a game for a week for $1. Until Funcoland opened in a location that ultimately became a Gamestop there was nowhere to buy/sell used games locally. I do remember the ads in magazines for used games but they were still extremely expensive.

I honestly cannot remember getting rid of used games until the PS2 era. Maybe it was much more prevalent in other places but I can't remember anyone trading games in to stores, we all traded games with each other.

And on the amiibo note, my 8 bit link replacement got sent signature required. Thanks again BB you dicks.
It definitely varied by region, but growing up in Southern California, there were tons of places to buy, sell and trade used games including swap meets, pawn shops, video stores, non-chain dedicated video game retailers, etc...by the mid to late 80s. There were also magazines well before Nintendo Power that had cheats and strategies and even computer communities like Compuserve and others that had dedicated Nintendo forums.

Hey I heard we were nerding out about the good old days. When I was a kid it was awesome to open the game in car ride home from the store and read the instruction manual so you were ready play as soon as you got home.

Now games don't even include instructions anymore. And there is no such thing as playing right away as you have to wait for patches and updates instead. The only good way to pass that time is masturbating to internet pornography. The times they really are a changing aren't they.

1988? I was playing my NES in like 1985. When the first place opened years later near me that had games to trade called video game exchange, i was there the week it opened.

It definitely varied by region, but growing up in Southern California, there were tons of places to buy, sell and trade used games including swap meets, pawn shops, video stores, non-chain dedicated video game retailers, etc...by the mid to late 80s. There were also magazines well before Nintendo Power that had cheats and strategies and even computer communities like Compuserve and others that had dedicated Nintendo forums.
You are thinking of the nintendo players club which had 7 very thin issues which came out maybe 7 months before nintendo power. I had all the issues. When did compuserve start, 1988? Bottom line is that no one had access to hardly anything to help them beat games like they do now. Gaming was pure as could be.

Hey I heard we were nerding out about the good old days. When I was a kid it was awesome to open the game in car ride home from the store and read the instruction manual so you were ready play as soon as you got home.

Now games don't even include instructions anymore. And there is no such thing as playing right away as you have to wait for patches and updates instead. The only good way to pass that time is masturbating to internet pornography. The times they really are a changing aren't they.
The artwork for zelda on NES in the instruction book was amazing. Even the instructions were gold!

1988? I was playing my NES in like 1985. When the first place opened years later near me that had games to trade called video game exchange, i was there the week it opened.
This was actually a thing in the early days of NES gaming. Nintendo actually fought game rentals tooth-and-nail in the U.S., so for a while in the mid-80s and early 90s, rentals of video games actually got stamped out pretty hard. You would see unlicensed rentals here and there in Mom-and-Pop places, but big chains like Blockbuster had major issues with Nintendo over the legal ramifications of game rentals. The rental stores eventually won those particular lawsuits, but Nintendo was always a little bitter over the whole affair. And major chains like Funcoland and GameStop wouldn't start gaining serious traction until the mid to late 90s. By that point optical media had started to take over, and the physical side of used games became easier to mass-produce and flip. Storing used CDs is soooo much more convenient and efficient compared to storing large plastic cartridges.

Nice work. Get another 20. Nintendo's purpose was to make you money and they did exactly that. If they want to play games and release limited quantity of NES Classics to create false demand for increase of sales in Feb, you just come right over the top and play the same tune. Amiibos made me so much money I'm basically gaming for free from here on out.
lol. I look at it as a fun hobby. MOre fun than playing games half he time.

I don't know maybe I will buy some plastic toys to use in videogames instead.
Wait, grown men actually use these in games?!? I thought they were for looking at and bringing back some memories to eveuntually sell them off for profit? The worst are these 80's toy collectors that have so much of the crap that it causes issues in their personal life. Several 40 year old virgins on youtube who's roommates are so pissed at them because the entire basement is "off limits" because it houses these massive collections. Of course the newphews and nieces of these guys aren't allowed to touch any of uncle Buck's toys when they come over. He just rushes them to McDonalds for some happy meal toys instead. Want to watch the football game in the basement with the guys? Forget about it because uncle Buck has all his boxes of toys down there and drives a 1980 oldsmobile with 400,000 miles on it that never sees the road because it's always in the shop and all his money goes into funding the "epic collection" in his "command center".

Oh well. To each their own.

You are thinking of the nintendo players club which had 7 very thin issues which came out maybe 7 months before nintendo power. I had all the issues. When did compuserve start, 1988? Bottom line is that no one had access to hardly anything to help them beat games like they do now. Gaming was pure as could be.
No, I'm actually thinking about all the magazines from the classic gaming era prior to Nintendo, some of which continued through the NES era. There were plenty of newsletters and clubs and even on-line services. Compuserve started in the late 70s and hit it's peak in the 1985-1987 timeframe. Similarly, services like Quantum Link started up in 1985. I was on both and I remember there being very active video gaming message boards. Just because you didn't have access to them doesn't mean many other people didn't as well.

Wait, grown men actually use these in games?!? I thought they were for looking at and bringing back some memories to eveuntually sell them off for profit? The worst are these 80's toy collectors that have so much of the crap that it causes issues in their personal life. Several 40 year old virgins on youtube who's roommates are so pissed at them because the entire basement is "off limits" because it houses these massive collections. Of course the newphews and nieces of these guys aren't allowed to touch any of uncle Buck's toys when they come over. He just rushes them to McDonalds for some happy meal toys instead. Want to watch the football game in the basement with the guys? Forget about it because uncle Buck has all his boxes of toys down there and drives a 1980 oldsmobile with 400,000 miles on it that never sees the road because it's always in the shop and all his money goes into funding the "epic collection" in his "command center".

Oh well. To each their own.
I don't remember any of this in the movie.

No, I'm actually thinking about all the magazines from the classic gaming era prior to Nintendo, some of which continued through the NES era. There were plenty of newsletters and clubs and even on-line services. Compuserve started in the late 70s and hit it's peak in the 1985-1987 timeframe. Similarly, services like Quantum Link started up in 1985. I was on both and I remember there being very active video gaming message boards. Just because you didn't have access to them doesn't mean many other people didn't as well.
Not only did I not use it, but the 200+ kids in my neighborhood that I grew up with playing NES with me never used it either. Never even mentioned it. Must be a silicone valley thing. Wish I would have known about it.

Not only did I not use it, but the 200+ kids in my neighborhood that I grew up with playing NES with me never used it either. Never even mentioned it. Must be a silicone valley thing. Wish I would have known about it.
This was actually a thing in the early days of NES gaming. Nintendo actually fought game rentals tooth-and-nail in the U.S., so for a while in the mid-80s and early 90s, rentals of video games actually got stamped out pretty hard. You would see unlicensed rentals here and there in Mom-and-Pop places, but big chains like Blockbuster had major issues with Nintendo over the legal ramifications of game rentals. The rental stores eventually won those particular lawsuits, but Nintendo was always a little bitter over the whole affair. And major chains like Funcoland and GameStop wouldn't start gaining serious traction until the mid to late 90s. By that point optical media had started to take over, and the physical side of used games became easier to mass-produce and flip. Storing used CDs is soooo much more convenient and efficient compared to storing large plastic cartridges.
90's Funcoland was AMAZING. Prices for everything on a newsprint flyer, and so long as your NES hardware was still working, you could walk in with $20 and walk away with a half dozen or more NES games.

It makes me sad when I go to the now Gamestops that used to be Funcolands, because it used to be so much better.
The ones that used to be EB Games? No great loss.

90's Funcoland was AMAZING. Prices for everything on a newsprint flyer, and so long as your NES hardware was still working, you could walk in with $20 and walk away with a half dozen or more NES games.

It makes me sad when I go to the now Gamestops that used to be Funcolands, because it used to be so much better. 90's was all about gamepro and EGM mags with the funcoland price sheet.
The ones that used to be EB Games? No great loss.
It was nice and simple in store. Each game case had a sticker on it and there was a chart that said how much a game cost based on the color of the sticker.

Hi guys, I don't own a current nintendo machine, but I have a question about the 8bit amiibos.

I already bought the original color mario and looks great, I see they now released the 8-bit link. 

My question is in terms of quantity, I don't mind waiting if it will drop down in price more.  Is the 8bit Link going to be hard/more expensive to get later on?  Right now I cant get it for $10 basically, but would like to wait for a cheaper price since I'm in no rush. 

Hi guys, I don't own a current nintendo machine, but I have a question about the 8bit amiibos.

I already bought the original color mario and looks great, I see they now released the 8-bit link.

My question is in terms of quantity, I don't mind waiting if it will drop down in price more. Is the 8bit Link going to be hard/more expensive to get later on? Right now I cant get it for $10 basically, but would like to wait for a cheaper price since I'm in no rush.
Virtually every non-Animal Crossing amiibo will be rare at some point once the initial stock sells out. I mean hell, SSB Luigi and Bowser aren't easy to find any longer. The 8 Bit Mario was an exception because that was violently overproduced, but I think in a couple of years 8 Bit Link will be hard to find.

bread's done
Back