An odd question about turn based RPGs

mattstockton12

CAGiversary!
Feedback
4 (100%)
So I've always hated turn-based RPGs...most of the time. There are a few exceptions.

I love Fire Emblem, despite it being turn based. This is because of the strategy used in your character placement and such.

I love Paper Mario, despite it being turn based. This is because I have some control of the action due to the "action commands" that allow me to dodge enemy attacks with something more than a high number beside the word luck.

My question is, are there any turn based RPGs or strategy games for PS2 that offer similar mechanics to make the game not a take-turns-slapping-each -other-fest?

Actually, feel free to name for any system, but I figure PS2 has the most RPGs to choose from

Well... Pretty much everything by Atlus is a Strategy RPG (Disgaea, Phantom Brave, Makai Kingdom, etc).

If you really like the action command things, Legend of Dragoon has a simular thing...

Super Mario RPG is awesome also, but thats an SNES game.

[quote name='Kayden']Well... Pretty much everything by Atlus is a Strategy RPG (Disgaea, Phantom Brave, Makai Kingdom, etc).

If you really like the action command things, Legend of Dragoon has a simular thing...

Super Mario RPG is awesome also, but thats an SNES game.[/quote]
I'm pretty sure a few of those you named are from NIS not Atlus.

I always wonder why people think Atlus developed everything they've released, when they're mainly a publisher in that aspect. The only games I can think of off the top of my head that they developed was the Megaten series and Trauma Center.

All those strategy games named were by NIS, and Disgaea was published by Atlus.

Same difference. I don't need you pointing out my mistakes with trivial things like the truth. Go offer candy to little boys.

[quote name='dcfox']I'm pretty sure a few of those you named are from NIS not Atlus.[/quote]

Hmmm it seem like you rpg's that are more interactive to gameplay rather then traditional jprg standards that all commands are set in stone.There couple rpgs with some button timing such as legend of dragoon, super mario rpg, shadow hearts series, mario luigi saga and mario partners in time.

If you like character placement or srpg with grid base style, there are bunch of those game out in market. Super Robot Taisen, Shining Force Series, Final Fantasy Tactics, NIS Series and many more.

[quote name='Kayden']Oooooo... the bestest RPG ever... Diablo 2 :bouncy: >>>>>>> and Baulders Gate.[/quote]
Just installed Diablo 2 last night.

The Shin Megami Tensei Series (not including Devil Summoner) require a lot of rationing of your moves. This is because its one of the few games where status effects in particular, and elemental weaknesses secondarily, are actually really important.

I dont know if its gonna change your mind about turn based though.

Shadow Hearts definitely.

[quote name='Dr Mario Kart']The Shin Megami Tensei Series (not including Devil Summoner) require a lot of rationing of your moves. This is because its one of the few games where status effects in particular, and elemental weaknesses secondarily, are actually really important.

I dont know if its gonna change your mind about turn based though.

Shadow Hearts definitely.[/QUOTE]

If you don't like turn-based, SMT: Nocturne will likely make you want to gouge your eyes out. That game is brutal.

Shadow Hearts: Covenant is excellent, but I thought the original was a steaming pile.

Fire Emblem is more like a SRPG. This includes games like Growlanser, Stella Deus, and the NIS games mentioned.

Hmm, thanks for the help.

I also forgot to mention that random battles annoy me greatly as does having to grind just to be powerful enough to advance. Let me know if that changes any of the suggestions.

I think I'll fire up an emulator and give Shining Force, FF: Tactics (gba), and Super Robot Taisen a go to gauge how well I'll like them. Might rent some of the PS2 suggestions.

Arc the Lad: Twilight of the Spirits might be up your ally. The battle system is a bit diffrent than anything I've played. One of the most overlooked PS2 RPG/Strategy games besides the Shadow Hearts series.

Infact I might go back and play the game again.

[quote name='The Crotch']
Also, if you play Arc the Lad, turn off the voice acting. Fast.[/quote]

Yeah, it did have some pretty bad voice acting. But what J-RPG doesn't.

[quote name='The Crotch']

Also, if you play Arc the Lad, turn off the voice acting. Fast.[/quote]

Truer words have never been spoken. Every single freakin attack...

Der Langrisser (SNES) just got translated. It is an RPG that plays a LOT like Advance Wars. Uber fun. Plus, enough branching paths to keep you busy until doomsday. Wanna kill Chaos, AND the Empire, AND the Light Warriors, AND the Angel of Light? YOU CAN!

[quote name='Rodimus Donut']Yeah, it did have some pretty bad voice acting. But what J-RPG doesn't.[/QUOTE]

Um... lots?

[quote name='Kawnhr']Um... lots?[/quote]

List some then, smart guy.

I've been playing Super Robot Taisen: Original Generation on the GBA and it's pretty fantastic, the animations are fucking amazing.

No, but SRW: Original Generations is coming out for the PS2 in Japan this month.

And it'll cost an arm and a leg. :cry:

Still holding out hope that Atlus will bring it over, but I don't think the GBA OGs sold well enough to try.

[quote name='mattstockton12']I also forgot to mention that random battles annoy me greatly as does having to grind just to be powerful enough to advance.[/quote]
I don't think any rpg requires grinding (though it often helps), but given your disdain for it I'll throw another vote in for the Shadow Hearts series. Those games probably have the smoothest difficulty curve in any rpg I've played.

The only thing I would suggest that I haven't seen listed already that I can think of off the top of my head is the Star Ocean series. Star Ocean 1 was in Japan only on SNES (I know they were working on a translation, but last time I looked it wasn't finished...I'm sure if you poke around on the web you can find out more). Star Ocean 2 was on the PS1, did get an American release, and is one of the most fantastic RPGs that I've ever played. Star Ocean 3 was on the PS2 and was a bit of a let down to me, but it's still not a terrible game.

What is the OP's position on card-based RPG's? The Baten Kaitos games, the Lost Kingdoms games, and Culdcept (if you can stretch your definition of RPG a bit...) are strategy games of a sort because of a card-based system.

Also, the Dynasty Tactic games are fun, and the Tactics: Ogre remake on GBA is my favorite SRPG after Disgaea

[quote name='Salmonday']What is the OP's position on card-based RPG's? The Baten Kaitos games, the Lost Kingdoms games, and Culdcept (if you can stretch your definition of RPG a bit...) are strategy games of a sort because of a card-based system.

Also, the Dynasty Tactic games are fun, and the Tactics: Ogre remake on GBA is my favorite SRPG after Disgaea[/quote]

lol. I hate card based games more than anything.

Sorry I am so particular but this is coming from a person that used to completely hate turn based RPGs (all of them) at least until I found Paper Mario and Fire Emblem. So I had some hope that I might have missed out on some games I would have when I ignored them all.

I'm trying!

[quote name='Level Jumper']Star Ocean 1 was in Japan only on SNES (I know they were working on a translation, but last time I looked it wasn't finished...I'm sure if you poke around on the web you can find out more).[/quote]

I thought they finished the SO1 translation. I played it. :whistle2:s

Don't need to apologize to me -- different strokes for different folks. I just had an idea that maybe if you had something active to do between turns (i.e. work with cards), that might be of interest too.

[quote name='mrExtreme']Don't know if this has been posted yet, but Legaia 2: Duel Saga is one.[/quote]

That game is horrid. The original Legend of Legaia is better.

bread's done
Back