Analyst expects PS3 price cut of $100 this October

Sure, its also possible that Sony will aquire the licenses to Mario. Now if your asking if it WILL happen there is no possible way to say at this point.

These "analysts" make a living by talking out of their asses. If he's right, he'll make a big deal of it, but if he's not (and most of them are wrong) then nobody will even remember.

[quote name='icruise']These "analysts" make a living by talking out of their asses. If he's right, he'll make a big deal of it, but if he's not (and most of them are wrong) then nobody will even remember.[/quote]

:booty:this ass?

Sony won't drop the price of the PS3, they're already taking a loss. The sales aren't where they should be because of the price, it's because PS3 only has like 4 good games, Oblivion,resistance,Motorstorm, and virtua fighter. In which only two of those are exclusives

Yeah they're taking a loss, but they're taking a bigger loss by not getting software into homes. You can already see that they're taking drastic measures to get the costs down (the removal of the emotion engine from the european units).

I think Sony is seeing that people aren't going to jump on the PS3 bandwagon just because it's a Blue Ray player. They need to get the costs down; people know the PS2 is a game system and even though Sony wants the PS3 to be more they should have eased into it. People have a stigma that the PS3 is a newer PS2, and they're not going to spend $600 on an updated PS2.

I forsee a price drop in October, especially since GTA IV is coming out and they'll want to move units for the hollidays.

More info to fuel the price cut speculation: http://www.playfuls.com/news_9859_Sony_Statement_Leads_To_PS3_Price_Cut_Prediction.html
The newer PlayStation 3 models that will go on sale in Europe and Australia in a couple of days are already cheaper to make (due to replacing the hardware emulation of PS2 games with lacking software emulation), and the current PS3 microprocessor chips will also be replaced with cheaper ones in the near future. We don't expect Sony to announce a price cut just yet, though; but one can always hope...
Honestly though, I'd pick a 60GB PS3 up for $450 - $500, IMO it's more reasonable than $600.

Well in order for Sony to include a game they need to make one that is so amazing people would still buy the system.

I think maybe 2 controlers and a game bundle by the end of the year.

Anything is possible, and I agree analysts are idiots. How can I get a "job" being an analyst?

Price drops never fail... Drop the price so that the masses can have a shot... Plus as Sony wins the format war... every Blu ray disc has the potential to bring in some profit for sony. You have to lose a lot to gain a lot... Sony is trying to win two wars with one system. Its a gamble... but how much power would Sony have in the market if they over run dvd w/ blu ray. A ps3 price drop puts more players in homes... DVD won over easily because it was a successor, it really didn't have any competition. Blu ray needs to finish off HD-DVD quickly... so that blu ray will become the successor, to DVD.

Hell, I made this prediction back in December...or earlier! Why does the gaming media continue to give these dipshits any coverage whatsoever? Since when does their degree mean anything to ultra-jaded blog sites and the "Lukems" of the industry?

In other news...Nintendo will win the Console War this generation...unless they don't.

Sony hasn't dropped the price on the PSP with the DS kicking their asses left and right, why would the PS3 be any different?

Well, they didn't and they did. It's a $200 handheld now, albeit the "Core" version, while when I (point and laugh, kids) got to Best Buy at the crack of dawn almost two years ago to the day, it was $250 (with worthless memory card and Spider-Man 2 UMD).

They'll probably drop the PS3 price within the next year, and fifty-fifty for the holidays. I am an analyst now. Why? Because I said I am.

It's all about costs. If it costs less to manufacture a PS3 now than at launch, then Sony is losing less on each console sold. Sony can conceivably lower the price without losing more (on a per console basis) than before.

A 65-nm fabrication process for Cells means more Cell processors per silicon wafer (which cost $$$) and lower cost per processor.

Fujimori sees simplification of design aiding PS3's profitability as well, noting Sony's original PS began with 700 components and concluded with 200, while the PS2 started with 2,000 parts and finished with 600. The PS3 prototype had 4,000 components but now a shift to around 2,000 is in the pipeline.

I assume the big changes came with the significant console revisions (slim PS2). I'm not sure what this means for the PS3 in the near term. I hope this doesn't mean that new buyers lose the Emotion engine. Hardware B/C is the way to go.

[quote name='jollydwarf']Well, they didn't and they did. It's a $200 handheld now, albeit the "Core" version, while when I (point and laugh, kids) got to Best Buy at the crack of dawn almost two years ago to the day, it was $250 (with worthless memory card and Spider-Man 2 UMD).

They'll probably drop the PS3 price within the next year, and fifty-fifty for the holidays. I am an analyst now. Why? Because I said I am.[/quote]

Well, your avatar DOES look like an analyst, all sharply dressed and reporting from some random toy store.

[quote name='Thomas96']Price drops never fail... Drop the price so that the masses can have a shot... Plus as Sony wins the format war... every Blu ray disc has the potential to bring in some profit for sony. You have to lose a lot to gain a lot... Sony is trying to win two wars with one system. Its a gamble... but how much power would Sony have in the market if they over run dvd w/ blu ray. A ps3 price drop puts more players in homes... DVD won over easily because it was a successor, it really didn't have any competition. Blu ray needs to finish off HD-DVD quickly... so that blu ray will become the successor, to DVD.[/quote]
This is actually a very good point that I didn't realize. If they are willing to lose a little more money to get their product into more living rooms, they'll be able to hopefully turn the tide of the DVD format as well.

umm this bring back one thing about blu-ray format. Didn't Sony said every blu-ray movies will have umd pack in or download able movie to memory stick ?

If the 360 gets a price drop I could see Sony dropping the price or bundling the system with a game (Motorstorm maybe). If the rumor that the 120 GB 360 is going to replace the Premium and the Premium is going to replace the core then I doubt we'll see a price drop on either system.

[quote name='nonggame']umm this bring back one thing about blu-ray format. Didn't Sony said every blu-ray movies will have umd pack in or download able movie to memory stick ?[/QUOTE]

hindsight speaking - Sony shouldn't have used UMD format.. they should have used mini disc... the cartridge is a little bigger but it's a better product that those filmsy umd discs.

[edit in] forgot my point - they definitely don't need a umd pack in... but if you rip the movie to the psp, that would be nice. Sony was supposed to have dowloadable movies, hopefull that comes to pass.

[quote name='CrimsonPaw']Honestly though, I'd pick a 60GB PS3 up for $450 - $500, IMO it's more reasonable than $600.[/QUOTE]

Quoted for obviousness. Cheaper prices are more reasonable then higher prices.

I think incentives are the way to go rather then an outright price cut with the PS3. Sell a bundle with Motorstorm and Resistance right before you introduce the new PS3 Greatest Hits line (which hopefully but probably won't ditch the red band from the PS2/PSP lines). The hardware is still the most expensive part of this whole deal. The PS3 will probably still be sold at a loss come October, and a true price cut would hurt Sony more then it could help them now.

bread's done
Back