Anarchy Online - free for a year

eshbums

CAGiversary!
Feedback
22 (100%)
Did a quick search and didn't see this posted yet...

Posted by redsolar on slickdeals:

Click here

Totally FREE!
Now you can experience Anarchy Online totally free of charge. You don't pay for the software. You don't pay any subscription. All we ask is that you register prior to January 15th. How about that for a Christmas present!
The offer includes the original Anarchy Online. Our Expansion Packs, Shadowlands, Alien Invasion and Notum Wars are not included in this offer.
Step 1: Download game or Download with BitTorrent
Step 2: Register a free account For faster download use BitTorrent software. Download BitTorrent.

Features Awards
Enjoy unparalleled character customization, including 80 character skills, hundreds of special attacks, thousands of items and a wide range of clothes, weapons and armour. No other online game delivers more character customization and depth.

Explore an epic and believable sci-fi universe with an involving and deep backstory

Experience fast-paced gameplay with more action and intensity and less camping.

Choose your playing style and select one of 14 different professions. Soldier, special agent, pet profession, healer, technological expert, trader or adventurer... you choose.

Go solo or join groups and guilds, AO is packed with fun content for everyone

Instanced dungeon areas mixed with a wide range of static dungeons and quests means that there is always something to do, even for that half hour session.

Express yourself through voice, emotes or chat in a fantastic social environment with clubs, bars, guild houses, player apartments, social clothes and much more.
Fight thousands of exciting monsters in a fantastic player versus environment gameworld, or challenge human opponents to conquer land in large PvP areas.

Immerse yourself in a world with a fantastic musical score and unique art direction.

Enter AO more easily with dedicated beginner areas and live in-game assistance

Travel in style with futuristic flying vehicles available to all professions, and access all areas efficiently and fast.

Test our great customer service, they are there to ease your experience.

Join a friendly, large and established player community.

And much much more...

Conditions
*The offer is only valid if you sign up a new Anarchy Online account between the 15th of December 2004 and 15th of January 2005. You can play free of charge until 1/1 2006. Should Funcom deem that a too high-increase in server load or other unforeseen events will lessen the experience for existing players the offer will be terminated at our discretion. The free version does not include access to any of the three expansion packs. Should you wish to upgrade to any of the expansion packs monthly subscription and client fees will be added.

I guess they need to generate some traffic, since with WoW and EQ II out there in the last month, and with Matrix Online on the horizon shortly, they might be overlooked?

They are no doubt feeling the pressure of the newer games.

All in all, this is a good deal. I will play a game for free for a year! Generally, timed demos run out before I get to play them much. I wonder how the subscribers will feel?

Thanks for posting this.

Wow, that's pretty damn nice! So wait...if I download the game and register an account, can I upgrade my account with Shadowlands (since I own it but haven't registered it yet) and then still play for a year with all the Shadowlands features? Either way, a damn good deal, AO was one of my first MMORPGs and it was pretty decent, even if it did have some annoyances.

Edit: hmm, it says that if you upgrade to an expansion pack that subscription and client fees would be added, so I'm assuming that registering my Shadowlands on a free account would terminate the "free" part of it. Oh well, a free MMORPG certainly isn't a bad thing in any case!

I played AO for about a year and a half.. It was a great game for it's time..

you can play a lot in AO without having the expansions, so this is definitely a great freebie..

I've since moved on to EQII.. I simply got burned out in AO and got tired of playing..

[thecatch] The free version does not include access to any of the three expansion packs. Should you wish to upgrade to any of the expansion packs monthly subscription and client fees will be added.[\thecatch]

Can anyone recommend a server to me? Or do I even get to choose? My friends and I will probably all pick the same one... but which?

Just a reminder, if you can download it with Bittorrent. It helps everyone out thats trying to dl the game

Thanks OP!

this is awesome. I've always wanted to play MMORPG's, but don't have enough time to spend money on it every month. This way, I can play without feeling obligated to get my money's worth.

Question: if you have Anarchy Online already installed, can you just make a new account with it and it will give you the year subscription? Anyone tried it to see if it works?

[quote name='leeloo1977']Ack 253 hours on highspeed? That doesn't seem right....[/quote]

Well if it's the full game it probably will take awhile. What kind of download rate are you getting

This is GREAT!

The free version does not include access to any of the three expansion packs. Should you wish to upgrade to any of the expansion packs monthly subscription and client fees will be added.

Although I want to play the expansions, this will be a good opportunity for me to level up and understand the game enough to get into those higher-level expansions.

We should start a CAG crew to play this together, to learn the game and level up enough to play with the more advanced players. Should I start up a separate thread in the other forums?

Jeremy

[quote name='Lexian'][quote name='leeloo1977']Ack 253 hours on highspeed? That doesn't seem right....[/quote]

Well if it's the full game it probably will take awhile. What kind of download rate are you getting[/quote] 18 KiB/s
Download 36 KiB/s upload I am sending it out faster than I am taking it in.... It has dropped to 124 hours but stil it only took me 10 hours to download the full version of WoW.

[quote name='neonglow']Do you guys know if it requires a credit card for the free year?[/quote] No... in fact DO NOT give a credit card number, if you read the fine print, giving a CC number means you want to subscribe to the regular service and they will charge you if you do.

thsi is horrible.....its going to take forever to dl it......anyone know whats the quickest way...damn bit torrent you have to upload as well

Im psyched about this game!!! Wanted to play for a while now...

Anways, Im getting 25-30 kbs, it'll probably be done tommarow. You have to have a good ratio for faster speeds, like other clients, so be patient with it. Also make sure your ports are open which you can check for on google.

Bleh my download just dropped to 0/0 I have no idea why, my connection is fine.... how do I check the ports on google?

Thanks eshbums. I can't wait to try this out, it's going to be my first MMORPG. Can anyone give me some tips on this game?

[quote name='leeloo1977']Bleh my download just dropped to 0/0 I have no idea why, my connection is fine.... how do I check the ports on google?[/quote]

What ports are you using? If you're using the standard BT ports your ISP is probably blocking/capping it. It's been a fairly standard operating procedure for ISPs to block ports usually used by BT and its clones simply because they're using up massive amounts of bandwidth (which I think is a BS excuse)... I've made it a practice to set aside 10 ports consecutively so it'll be more difficult to cap. My speed have jumped up a lot. I'm usually getting 150/300 up/down. I used to only get 40/100

[quote name='jaykrue'][quote name='leeloo1977']Bleh my download just dropped to 0/0 I have no idea why, my connection is fine.... how do I check the ports on google?[/quote]

What ports are you using? If you're using the standard BT ports your ISP is probably blocking/capping it. It's been a fairly standard operating procedure for ISPs to block ports usually used by BT and its clones simply because they're using up massive amounts of bandwidth (which I think is a BS excuse)... I've made it a practice to set aside 10 ports consecutively so it'll be more difficult to cap. My speed have jumped up a lot. I'm usually getting 150/300 up/down. I used to only get 40/100[/quote]

I am new to broadband since we just recently moved to an area where it was available so I must admit I have no idea how to check how my ports are set up or how to change them, I have been wanting to look in to it for awhile now just kept putting it off, any chance you can give me a quick faq on how to check/change them? I am pretty quick around the PC so just the basics would help alot :)

Well now my Dl speed has jumped to 25 KiB/s and I only have 15 hours left, not so great but much better than before :)

[quote name='leeloo1977']Ack 253 hours on highspeed? That doesn't seem right....[/quote]

thats why we need more people to use the torrent, the more people the better the dl speed

BTW i would also like info on how to change the ports using google

For those of you that think there might be a catch, there isn't. Just check out the Gamespot article and see for yourself.

"We feel very confident in the unique features and heralded qualities of our game and are now openly inviting everyone playing [massively multiplayer online games] to find out what Anarchy Online is all about, completely free of commitment," stated Ole Schreiner, Project Director for Anarchy Online, in a statement.

"This unique move will allow us to test important new business models prior to announcing future online games," said Trond Arne Aas, President and CEO of Funcom.

I'm definitely getting into this when I get the chance, so I'll try to get it DL'd later this week.

[quote name='Limitbreaker02']Erm...couldn't you just download it at fileplanet? That's what I'm going to do now. I'll update if I'm successful or not.[/quote]

Yeah but Fileplanet absolutely sucks with waiting times and download speeds. Torrents are the way to go. :mrgreen:

Did you see the front page of the AO page? They took down the direct download link and now only offer it on BitTorrent.

Jeremy

bread's done
Back