Ancestry.com - Any CAGs use it?

HotShotX

CAGiversary!
Feedback
31 (100%)
About as Off-Topic from gaming as I can probably get, has anyone here ever used Ancestry.com outside of a "referral website" offer? I'm considering using it seriously to build up a family history and want to know from the community if it's worth the $29.95-$34.95/month to use it.

Any thoughts or feedback is appreciated. Thanks.

~HotShotX

I will let you know what my mom thinks about it after the first of the year. She is working on the family tree again and plans to join when she gets all the info she has put in it. She says that will be after the first of the year.

I would like to do something like this, eventually. Just seems like it would be a pretty ambitious/arduous task, though.

My adoptive grandmother uses it and she loves it. She found out she's related to someone that came over on the Mayflower. She's also related to a religious martyr that buddied around with Martin Luther.

I also have another friend that used it and never found anyone famous in her ancestry. It's good to know where you come from though.

[quote name='depascal22']My adoptive grandmother uses it and she loves it. She found out she's related to someone that came over on the Mayflower. She's also related to a religious martyr that buddied around with Martin Luther.

I also have another friend that used it and never found anyone famous in her ancestry. It's good to know where you come from though.[/QUOTE]

So you would consider it legit then? About how long have either of your associates been with the service? How long until they got results, and if they end their subscription, do they lose everything acculumated?

~HotShotX

I've always been curious but due to the way history played out, it is highly unlikely that I could trace my family history back very far...

... The whole 'family once owned by other people' thing puts a damper on stuff like that. I /could,/ however, trace my info back to the last people who owned the last non free ancestor, then trace /that/ forward to find descendents of those people. Do you think they'd list that info? Or does it only list positive information?

Neat. They even have an article/disclaimer about this.

I have used it for many years. It has been a great source of databases and scanned documents that have been helpful to me in my family history research. Some info is actually available online for free but much is only available to paid subscribers. The good news is that many public libraries are subscribers and their patrons can use it for free. Personally, I found it worth the price to subscribe to the US records collections for the convenience of being able to access the data at home because for a long period of time I was using it almost daily. As far as losing the data, You can copy or print what you find and enter the info in a genealogy software program like FamilyTree Maker. These programs make it easy to create professional looking trees and reports.

[quote name='HotShotX']So you would consider it legit then? About how long have either of your associates been with the service? How long until they got results, and if they end their subscription, do they lose everything acculumated?

~HotShotX[/QUOTE]

I would consider it legit. As far as I know, my grandmother has been using ancestry.com since it first started. Before that, she hunted things down in the library using micofiche and other ridiculously old school methods. She's more than happy using this and other sources. She did most of the legwork but she said it was gratifying that it verified all her hard work.

Results usually start popping up right away. From what I know, you put your name in and the names of your parents. You go back as far as you can remember and the system works for there. The first couple generations should come back pretty quickly but it's hit or miss when it comes to ancestors from previous centuries especially if your family recently immigrated. The people with the best chances of going back a couple centuries will be Europeans. Then again, some people's names got butchered at Ellis Island so you might want to ask your grandparents now if they remember any different spellings of your name.

For a African Americans, I would suggest DNA testing. This will better pinpoint the region of Africa that your blood ancestors came from. Ancestry will help you get to the mid 1800s but you're pretty much done unless you really want to trace the geneologies of people that owned your ancestors.

[quote name='depascal22']
Results usually start popping up right away. [/QUOTE] This is true but YMMV... If you’re searching very common names, lots of names may pop up but they may not belong to your relatives and a lot of weeding out will be required. If your name is unusual you may be lucky in a sense but there may be spelling variations and other factors that effect search results. To me, it’s all part of the fun- it's like a puzzle that you have to work out carefully bit by bit.

Also, Ancestry data is "legit" as long as you stick to original documents like census records, birth, marriage, death records and the like. IMO, all data in family trees posted by others should be considered with caution because it’s hard to know how scrupulous a poster was in doing his/her research.

Don't be afraid to give it a try. I think you can cancel in 7 or maybe 14 days. Or check out your library to see if they have a subscription.

[quote name='CheapyMom'] This is true but YMMV... If you’re searching very common names, lots of names may pop up but they may not belong to your relatives and a lot of weeding out will be required. If your name is unusual you may be lucky in a sense but there may be spelling variations and other factors that effect search results. To me, it’s all part of the fun- it's like a puzzle that you have to work out carefully bit by bit.

Also, Ancestry data is "legit" as long as you stick to original documents like census records, birth, marriage, death records and the like. IMO, all data in family trees posted by others should be considered with caution because it’s hard to know how scrupulous a poster was in doing his/her research.

Don't be afraid to give it a try. I think you can cancel in 7 or maybe 14 days. Or check out your library to see if they have a subscription.[/QUOTE]

Sounds good. Thanks to everyone for relating their experiences. I'll give it a shot after I fly home tomorrow.

~HotShotX

bread's done
Back